One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-04 07:32:01

pein

Mini guide: how to make an axe with one single fire

The first challenge of an eve/eves kid to make an axe before the branches run out, there are many good spots with tons of soil but you might not have enough branches and will be impossible to make an axe, a big fire, people will start cooking eggs and stew and the baby boom just makes impossible to make tools. I see people trying to keep up a fire and placing one single iron in the kiln each time in one single kiln.

There is a trick which makes it much easier

second fire brand!
if you know the timings, makes sense immediately
the small fire lasts 1 minute
the firebrand lasts 1 minute
the kiln lasts 30 seconds with kindling or charcoal
and the item in tongs lasts 10 seconds
the iron or steel lasts 10 seconds on the flat rock

so whats the ideal order?

you can do the axe with the first fire if you got everything ready:
2 or 3 tongs (one for the bellows, second maybe if someone helps)
2 firebrands
1 wet noozle
1 rabbit, chopped up skin, rabbit on skewer
flint chip to make needle
one thread
short shaft for hammer
stone to make hammer
4-5 kindling minimum, the more the better
tell kids not to make eggs yet

make the fire and the pottery, minimum 5 bowls and 3 plates, 1 noozle (2 for farms or more, 3-3 for the forge)
light up first shaft, make pottery, put on the adobe, 30 sec
wait a bit more and light up second shaft on fire
take out the charcoal and put into bowls
make needle, put on thread, make the pouch, put on tongs, put on the noozle
and start another kindling, light up the other firebrand
when it goes off, put on bellows, lightit up, light up the other firebrand
put on the iron, smash it and put in the bowl with charcoal, put on the plate, put in fire, 10 sec to cool
you can do 2 more iron in meantime, or just one and fire it up fast
take off the plate and take out the steel, light it up, smash with stone, 10 more sec
light up the other steel and hold it in the tongs for 5-6 seconds
once the hammer head is cold, assemble with short shaft, smash the hot steel once

voilà , you got the axe and yo ucan keep up a fire
you use 3 kindling only if you can do it fast, one for first fire and pottery, first charcoal
oen for the smithing

if you are slower, you might need one more, but you can still use the firebrand to make charcoal, wait 15-20 sec, light up the other one and put on the adobe
then you can do the hammer only and the next time the axe and shovel (hoe 4th maybe)

the other is to make the pottery, and make charcoal, make more pottery and make one more charcoal
use the for eggs
if you make 2-3 charcoal, wait until you got a rabbit and do the above things, no reason to keep up a fire early game with no axe
you need a kindling each minute  to keep up fire, so no reason to start a fire and then run for each branch when it goes off, and another for charcoal

you can repeat the switching of the firebrands indefinitely even after the fire ran out, and cost no additional kindling, rather than keeping up fire , you wait a bit and make more charcoal from that

you can place 3 iron/steel in the forge, then swap tongs for the stone/hammer and smash them in order in which you put it in, with some experience you can do 4 to 6 iron this way, but i don't really think is possible to make more than 2 steel and still be able to fire them up and smash if you don't have the hammer and don't have help of smart er people

its best to make a new kiln further from the camp, having only iron, clay and wood nearby it
its totally possible to make hammer and axe with a single fire alone
also you can use the second firebrand for the axe right away and have firewood for 4 minute fires, and cut some kindling from firewood, at least until you make the shovel to dig up stumps\

it requires a bit of practice to know the 30 seconds, but you got help:
if you put the adobe on fire right away after making the first kindling burn, and remove it when its ready, your firebrand will go out in 30 seconds minus the time you carried it and dropped the adobe down (preferably swapped with the firebrand), so when it goes out, you need to drop the last pottery or put in one more iron or just light up the other firebrand

people were kinda amazed today at the speed of the process

Last edited by pein (2019-01-21 03:33:04)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-12-04 07:55:09

gabal

Re: Mini guide: how to make an axe with one single fire

So second fire brand is used to save on kindling for keeping the fire going?

Not sure I could replicate this, maybe after a few tries.

#3 2018-12-04 08:17:45

Blazier

Very nice, I never would have thought of this. I'd like to see someone use this strategy to beat this tutorial escape speedrun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk37-LRh5wE

#4 2018-12-04 09:09:51

pein

barely swaps items and has one single kiln, axe shovel possible in less than 7 min im sure

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-12-04 18:58:43

Gederian

Hey Pein, I just want to say thanks for being such a great community member. You seem genuinely interested in helping others succeed. Even when you disagree with people you keep it respectful. We need more people like you.

#6 2018-12-04 20:25:55

Tarr
Banned

On a funny note if you're good you can keep a firebrand lit 100% of the time doing this sort of thing.

Light fire > light kiln > cover > relight kiln > light shaft off of burning kiln > cover > forge > etc.

You can just keep relighting your shafts off of the burning kiln or the burning forge. It's a pretty fun exercise in seeing how good you are at juggling things.

Only real issue with keeping an "eternal" firebrand is you need to make sure to have kindling ready or kindling to light into a fire should you need to fetch more.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-12-04 20:39:38

Tramax

Yeah Tarr that was my impression on what would be the extra credit from this neat little guide, I can't wait 'ti l I get to try it out!

Gederian wrote:

Hey Pein, I just want to say thanks for being such a great community member. You seem genuinely interested in helping others succeed. Even when you disagree with people you keep it respectful. We need more people like you.

Hear hear!
I want to be pein when I grow up smile

Last edited by Tramax (2018-12-08 10:02:50)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#8 2018-12-08 08:39:17

pein

can be used the same way if the fire is further from the kiln, just had a life yesterday when old guy wet 30 tiles away to get a new firebrand lit, actually was the fastest smithing i ever seen, two of us threw iron and steel in the kiln and the third guy made the tools and the pump equipment, he catched us smithing, i catched him tire making for cart, he choose wisely and upgraded well first with one tire

#9 2018-12-08 10:03:52

Tramax

I just realized I typed Tarr when seconding the praise die Ted at pein T.T

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#10 2018-12-09 07:04:54

pein

lol big_smile i know tarr since the teleports, he was starting later, and eved a lot with other new people like turnipseed and scholar(bendi)
he is fairly recognizable by his actions
he is a very good player too (don't tell him tongue)

Board footer