One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-12-02 16:17:31

wolfgang

Re: To reiterate, just let twins and triblets die. The sooner the better.

My friends and I play as twins, triplets and in a few days we will be a quad. I admit, if someone dies young the rest of us kill ourselves to end it quickly. If we make it past childhood and the teenage years and survive to adulthood before someone dies though, we will generally continue that play through. At the very least we like to make sure to contribute before we leave to kill ourselves. I am a baker so I tend to make sure I finish baking a lot first to still give back to the community that spent food and time to raise us.

But yea since we can communicate a bit better through voice when we do survive it is certainly a large boon to the community and often we manage to create an interesting role play experience within the town since we can all cooperate to help get other people in on it.

#27 2018-12-02 16:32:55

Falsewall

Ellesanna wrote:

In OHOL, you are constantly making decisions. Even doing nothing is a decision onto itself. For every choice you make there is a pro and con- whether to spend time gathering fire wood in comparison to bringing back more milkweed. When you find yourself with a child, be it a girl or a boy, you have to decide whether or not you're going to spend the time and resources to raise that child to a certain age and if you intend to continue contributing the child's life after they hit a certain point- like whether you intend to take on the role of a mentor or continue nurturing them at all in comparison to just letting them be and hoping they live. With every child you decide to raise to maturity you risk bringing a griefer or a sponge into your village. With every baby you decide to abandon you risk your line dying out or suffer from what I like to call an 'invisible loss' which is simply where you lose something valuable without ever knowing you had it- in this case a valuable hard worker.

When one is presented with the interesting case of multiple children at once with unknown strong connections to the other, the stakes are higher. They require more resources than raising a singular kid but generally less time as you can raise three kids at once faster than one at a time. Because there is no way to know what type of bond the multiple children share, you don't know by what string of similarity they are connected and what their intentions are to you and your family- much like any other child. But whatever they are is multiplied by their numbers and are, as the saying goes, 'double trouble.' Are they mentors and students? Fellow learners? RL friends? Complete noobs? Or Griefers? Theres no real way to tell.
Twins, triplets, and quadruplets in all their varieties are important to the world of OHOL and are simply another decision we as players have to make. Just like with every child, the first decision you have to make it whether to keep them- quickly decide first if you are capable of keeping them- if you have a food shortage now isn't the time to be raising very many kids if at all. Then decide this-should you keep them? Know beforehand if you or someone else is able to dedicate themselves full time to raising them to maturity or if you have a way to dispose of them should they turn out to be rotten. If you are the town hunter or baker- you might need to ask an aunt, cousin, or sister to look after them as your job is very important and time consuming. If your town can't afford the loss of resources due to the multiples not only because of feeding them but the resources lost by having a valuable player be dedicated to nurturing them full time to maturity then now isn't the time for twins. If you manage to get the twins to maturity, give them a reason to stay. People tend to feel loyalty to a town that has treated them well and if they feel welcomed are more inclined to stay if their partner has passed.
Moral of the story: Try to keep twins if you can afford the risk and welcome them as you would any kid. I don't think twins by nature are more inclined to griefing than other people but because they're more rare and can do more damage and often aren't allowed to make it to adulthood the few who do grief ruin it for the rest of the lot.

I think this thread reveals a lot about the different players of OHOL. Whether they're a risky gambler or conservative conformist and/or sympathetic nurturers  or cutthroat managers.

Need more line breaks.  That middle paragraph hurts to scan.(mobile)

Last edited by Falsewall (2018-12-02 16:33:27)

#28 2018-12-02 17:31:37

Three

killing all multiples is just stupid IMO

#29 2018-12-03 04:01:37

Bingo

i play with some twitch streamer as twin sometime if i die he will continue living and when he die if its a big town usually i will die to try another life with him but in small town i will live there and twin in another time, so true most of the twin die if one of them died but if they live they usually do different job witch help the town or do one job so great.
for me i will try to keep them all the time.

Board footer