One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-01 09:16:34

lionon

To reiterate, just let twins and triblets die. The sooner the better.

So I was in a very large town (currently largest I believe) and I gave birth to triplet daughters. At first I really wanted to just abandon, but then everybody around me told me off to take care of my kids and I should name then and so on. Well okay, so I fed them, gave them names and told them twice that I will raise them, but they must not to suicide when one of them dies. Then after my life was over (murdered by another griefer*, sigh), I looked at the family tree and exactly this happened, at the age of 20 one of them got killed (also griefer or rightfully avenged/stopped I don't know) and the other two died a minute later to starvation (obviously suicide).

That was the last straw, never again will I raise twins or even more and people can tell me off about that what they want. I won't even just abandon them, but take one and bring him somewhere far into a desert/icesheet. I have had it with that friends login, almost always makes more damage than good.

* About griefer murder. Really when a bell town got more than one family tree, this is awesome for the town. What goes on in peoples sick brains coming up with the idea over and over again they take it as their life mission to kill everyone from the other family line... OHOL is a cool game by itself, but this are the reasons why I'm overthinking to go back to my decision to never play an online game again...

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-01 09:16:59)

#2 2018-12-01 11:01:43

MultiLife

Re: To reiterate, just let twins and triblets die. The sooner the better.

I'll share some of mine.
This week a batch of male quadruplets were born in a medium sized town. The mom named them and ran off. Two of the boys died to starvation at 3 and 5, two survived; I was surprised to see that they didn't run to die after their brothers died.
As adults, I couldn't tell anymore who was a quad as we had so many same skinned men in the town, me included. Then I started seeing bloodied remains and people getting stabbed. I had a medic spot set up (goddamn peeps took my med needle and thread for saddles and clothes so I had to hide one for spare and keep making thread) so I healed the ones who were smart enough to come to me for heals.
Naturally, you'd think it's the leftover quads killing everyone as adults, to revenge and get back to their quad.
A lady I tried so hard to heal kept running around a man, her killer. After she died, a same skinned man as the killer informed the people that the killer is now dead.
I passed down my knives later to this guy (his backpack broke so I took his knife and had 3 to give) and died to old age, going to check the family tree to see who had killed whom.
The man who got my knives was the last surviving quad. His only quad brother was killed by the same skinned killer. They probably communicated about it so the last quad could end the killer. They played all the way until their deaths and helped the town, only killing the killer.

Then another time triplet girls went to get a bear to lead to my small town when they were like 10 years old but the bear killed one of them. As they lost their sibling, the two who were left got a hold of a knife filled backpack and started stabbing fertile females at 13. I managed to end them and the village continued with the help of one girl they didn't find (full story here https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4115 ).

I've had good and bad experiences with multiples. Haven't birthed any in a while (been on a male roll which is great) but I will raise them if the town is okay with it and we have resources to do so, ofc I will question them a bit and keep an eye on them. I know that they usually kill themselves or become griefers but I'm gonna give them a chance. This is just a game and whatever happens, happens. They died, they died. They murdered everyone, they murdered everyone. Shrug.
I've been playing Skyrim, Spyro and GTAV story mode to counterbalance OHOL's multiplayer frustration. It's amazing how therapeutic it is to play single player games to balance out the multiplayer frustrations.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-01 11:18:49)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-12-01 11:04:48

Fudschy

I ,for my part ,do play very often with my wife OHOL , sitting in the same room. You really dont wanna miss that chance of high organization and productivity two perfectly communication people can deliver. Not speaking of three or four. Though i must admit that chances are very low and in most cases it is like you said.

We once had a due twin Spawn on both of us and unbelievably these were four People ending up destroying on purpose. Kinda Dilemma in that point ,but it can be sooo worthy!

#4 2018-12-01 15:24:31

MultiLife

Just had twin girls in my town who tried to start killing. Got the aggressive one first, then the other stabbed me and starved to that.
I wish it was a misunderstanding but the girls tried to kill their mother too (she said so), not just me.
My med station almost saved me, but the doctor girl didn't know the stitching part of healing. It's okay though, I defended the people, all killers are dead for now (same life, a bit earlier, one girl shot an old man, thinking I didn't see her do it - couldn't save the man as I was stabbing the girl).

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-01 15:33:14)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#5 2018-12-01 15:37:09

Aurora Aurora

Triblets

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#6 2018-12-01 15:38:13

MultiLife

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Triblets

A tribe of triblets.

#7 2018-12-01 15:40:32

Starknight_One

MultiLife wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Triblets

A tribe of triblets.

The Trouble With Triblets. I saw that Star Trek episode. Quick, beam them to the Klingon ship!

#8 2018-12-01 17:15:55

Randomname

I was in a life where one twin Dastan was griefing so her own twin Sunflower took her out, pretty amazing.  (I was Lily II, ma had a flower theme wonder what flower Dastan was meant to be)

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1267693

They aren't all bad and I don't mind the suicide of one twin after the other dies, I've had the survivor twin hang around until they birth a girl before.

#9 2018-12-01 17:42:36

hailey

MultiLife wrote:

I'll share some of mine.
This week a batch of male quadruplets were born in a medium sized town. The mom named them and ran off. Two of the boys died to starvation at 3 and 5, two survived; I was surprised to see that they didn't run to die after their brothers died.
As adults, I couldn't tell anymore who was a quad as we had so many same skinned men in the town, me included. Then I started seeing bloodied remains and people getting stabbed. I had a medic spot set up (goddamn peeps took my med needle and thread for saddles and clothes so I had to hide one for spare and keep making thread) so I healed the ones who were smart enough to come to me for heals.
Naturally, you'd think it's the leftover quads killing everyone as adults, to revenge and get back to their quad.
A lady I tried so hard to heal kept running around a man, her killer. After she died, a same skinned man as the killer informed the people that the killer is now dead.
I passed down my knives later to this guy (his backpack broke so I took his knife and had 3 to give) and died to old age, going to check the family tree to see who had killed whom.
The man who got my knives was the last surviving quad. His only quad brother was killed by the same skinned killer. They probably communicated about it so the last quad could end the killer. They played all the way until their deaths and helped the town, only killing the killer.

Hello! I was the quad that you gave your stuff too, I believe my name was Tyrone. That was a quad set with a streamer so I didn’t really care if they died lol... is that harsh?

I do agree that taking on mulitiples is a 50/50. Before the steam release I never kept twins because there was a high chance of them being griefers but since the release I’ve been a little more lenient. I’ve seen twins be an amazing addition to families but I’ve also seen twins destroy towns. It’s hard to abondon them now because there are many players that will swoop in and feed children no matter what you say.

| Eve Willow |

#10 2018-12-01 18:57:11

lionon

hailey wrote:

It’s hard to abondon them now because there are many players that will swoop in and feed children no matter what you say.

Exactly better to not just ignore them but kill one of them, the rest will suicide then anyway, even if fed. Just take them to the next ice sheet/desert and drop off. From my experience it's not even 50/50. It's 50/50 they become griefers and the majority of the 50% will suicide if the other dies just having wasted resources.

#11 2018-12-01 20:39:31

tana

the problem is often people will come here and tell the story every times there are twin griefers.
But the other way around is almost never done. I'd say that if your twins were bad, there's a 99% chance you'll come here and talk about it, telling ppl not to raise twins. But if your twins were good, it only comes to 1 % chance of you coming here and saying how good and helpfull they were. Even though the good twins account for the vast majority of twin players.
I play quite often as twins, and if it is true we'll suicide if one of us die in general since we want to play together, we also take into account the village female situation. If we see there are plenty of women or if we're men, there's no need to stay. But if our mother has turned old, and we're the last girls and one of us dies, we still decide to play separately and give enough time for the next generations of girsl to be born.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#12 2018-12-01 20:53:16

lionon

tana wrote:

and if it is true we'll suicide if one of us die

Yes and that alone makes me abandon twins from now on every and always. First it's a way higher risk it are griefers and those that aren't are way more suicidal.

#13 2018-12-01 21:39:24

tana

lionon wrote:
tana wrote:

Yes and that alone makes me abandon twins from now on every and always. First it's a way higher risk it are griefers and those that aren't are way more suicidal.

don't cherry pick my sentence to fit your needs.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#14 2018-12-01 21:40:31

Azrael

lionon wrote:
tana wrote:

Stop being so ignorant, people play as twins to have fun TOGETHER. thats why jason inplemented it in the first place.

If your friend or twin or triplet dies, then why keep playing if your friend is gone? You lose the purpose of working together. Just cause youre lonely and dont have anyone to twin with, doesnt mean someone else doesnt have to have fun.

If they grief they grief, twinning is not the only way to have communication with someone better than the game allows, there are discord vc and twitch streams that do even worse than twinning with someone.

If you leave twins to die just cause they're twins, then maybe you deserve to get griefed honestly with such a stupid mentality.

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#15 2018-12-01 21:47:16

lionon

Why invest the resources of raising triplets instead of 3 separate kids, that don't all suicide if only one of them happens something.

If people want to be accepted as twins and triplets they have to stop suiciding over each other and just play a minesweeper or whatever until the other finished to start another game.

#16 2018-12-01 21:59:29

Azrael

lionon wrote:

Why invest the resources of raising triplets instead of 3 separate kids, that don't all suicide if only one of them happens something.

If people want to be accepted as twins and triplets they have to stop suiciding over each other and just play a minesweeper or whatever until the other finished to start another game.

Minesweeper? Bro they'll suicide if they want and if you dont feed them your ass is on the line not ours.

So have fun getting stabbed for not feeding you last 2 fertile females.

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#17 2018-12-01 22:14:25

MultiLife

People are free to raise or abandon whomever they want.

#18 2018-12-01 22:28:26

Azrael

Yes, they are, but if they get stabbed for letting twin girls die cause "they might grief!1!!" then they deserve to be killed.

What world do we live in where guilty until proven innocent applies? what if those twins would've been the best thing for that village? When if they never intended on griefing?

You can't discount them from the beginning it's ignorant and honestly not your decision to make when your civ needs more people, someone else will feed them.

#19 2018-12-01 22:43:02

Randomname

Stabbing someone for letting their kid starve is really not a good idea, if you really care so much about the twin issue then you can raise them yourself.

#20 2018-12-01 22:43:43

Matisz

I agree wholeheartedly Azrael.  I've played this game 80% as twins/triplets and never have ever had any intention of griefing.  You can't judge a book by its cover.

#21 2018-12-01 23:10:07

Tea

I love my twins and triplets ! I also play with my boyfriend as twins sometimes to show him how to play. When he dies, I usually suicide unless I'm a girl.

Since the steam release I've never had a problem with twins or triplets or quads. And I can understand that they all suicide once one of them dies. You want to continue to play with your friends and don't want them to wait one hour to play together ^^

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#22 2018-12-02 04:43:12

Ellesanna

In OHOL, you are constantly making decisions. Even doing nothing is a decision onto itself. For every choice you make there is a pro and con- whether to spend time gathering fire wood in comparison to bringing back more milkweed. When you find yourself with a child, be it a girl or a boy, you have to decide whether or not you're going to spend the time and resources to raise that child to a certain age and if you intend to continue contributing the child's life after they hit a certain point- like whether you intend to take on the role of a mentor or continue nurturing them at all in comparison to just letting them be and hoping they live. With every child you decide to raise to maturity you risk bringing a griefer or a sponge into your village. With every baby you decide to abandon you risk your line dying out or suffer from what I like to call an 'invisible loss' which is simply where you lose something valuable without ever knowing you had it- in this case a valuable hard worker.

When one is presented with the interesting case of multiple children at once with unknown strong connections to the other, the stakes are higher. They require more resources than raising a singular kid but generally less time as you can raise three kids at once faster than one at a time. Because there is no way to know what type of bond the multiple children share, you don't know by what string of similarity they are connected and what their intentions are to you and your family- much like any other child. But whatever they are is multiplied by their numbers and are, as the saying goes, 'double trouble.' Are they mentors and students? Fellow learners? RL friends? Complete noobs? Or Griefers? Theres no real way to tell.
Twins, triplets, and quadruplets in all their varieties are important to the world of OHOL and are simply another decision we as players have to make. Just like with every child, the first decision you have to make it whether to keep them- quickly decide first if you are capable of keeping them- if you have a food shortage now isn't the time to be raising very many kids if at all. Then decide this-should you keep them? Know beforehand if you or someone else is able to dedicate themselves full time to raising them to maturity or if you have a way to dispose of them should they turn out to be rotten. If you are the town hunter or baker- you might need to ask an aunt, cousin, or sister to look after them as your job is very important and time consuming. If your town can't afford the loss of resources due to the multiples not only because of feeding them but the resources lost by having a valuable player be dedicated to nurturing them full time to maturity then now isn't the time for twins. If you manage to get the twins to maturity, give them a reason to stay. People tend to feel loyalty to a town that has treated them well and if they feel welcomed are more inclined to stay if their partner has passed.
Moral of the story: Try to keep twins if you can afford the risk and welcome them as you would any kid. I don't think twins by nature are more inclined to griefing than other people but because they're more rare and can do more damage and often aren't allowed to make it to adulthood the few who do grief ruin it for the rest of the lot.

I think this thread reveals a lot about the different players of OHOL. Whether they're a risky gambler or conservative conformist and/or sympathetic nurturers  or cutthroat managers.

Last edited by Ellesanna (2018-12-02 04:46:59)

#23 2018-12-02 08:22:30

Floofy

I've never had twins do a good job so far. They always either grief, or suicide if the other dies (which always happens since they're usually bad). When its twin girls and you're already in a solid town, then its very tempting to keep them tho. But if its a primitive town i think its auto abandon.

#24 2018-12-02 09:49:10

Three

I find most multiplets in a pre sheep town suicide anyway and you are left with the top 10% which actually can help the civ, I personally have never had griefer multiples but I have heard the stories. Yesterday a mom almost abandoned me twinning with a streamer cause her last twins were griefers, we got iron tools for the village and helped out overall. I keep all my multiples anytime because the positives outwigh the negatives.

#25 2018-12-02 14:35:24

Tenshio
Website

I played as an eve and usually when I got twins or triplets they are really lovely. This one life I was an eve, I tried raising as many babies as I can because the place got plenty of food to do so, and sadly the kids was dying left and right (probably new)

After that I got triplets, but one of the triplet died because of boar or snake? The rest of the triplet stayed and helped me around, even started their own farm. Before I die they specially made me a delicious rabbit pies.

Too bad the generation didn't continue because they are my last batch of children before I got old and no girls at all after that.

I'm pretty sure they will suicide when one of their sibling died, but they didn't. And it even make a pleasant gameplay for me that time. Maybe they didn't try to die because I asked them to stay alive when they're born? I'm not sure, but I'll keep twin and triplets even quadruplets if we have the resources to raise them and they didn't show signs of griefing on early age.

Board footer