One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-26 21:53:42

Dodge

Making fed shorn sheep give wool and poop, reducing meat tiles

Sheep pen usually end up looking like this

https://imgur.com/a/KCJnRAP

This pen is actually not too bad as most pens are a lot smaller and filled entirely of shorn sheeps or butchered sheeps

We rarely feed the sheeps just to get meat but usually for dung and wool, meat being a welcome byproduct in reasonable ammounts but since we cant get poop without feeding a lamb, 4 meats are added each time a compost is made and ends up with huge quantities of meat that occupies the tiles without the cooking of it being planned and ending up cooking the meat just to free up the tiles and not to actually make food

Last edited by Dodge (2018-11-26 21:54:23)

#2 2018-11-26 22:02:17

Tarr
Banned

Re: Making fed shorn sheep give wool and poop, reducing meat tiles

Yeah it's a little awkward that you have to produce four meat any time you want to continue the compost cycle. Though half the current problem is probably caused by the old mentality of "only use mutton for pies" and the other half you can't stack raw mutton for transport. I feel like if you could reasonably transport mutton people might actually cook the stuff instead of leaving meat biomes for future generations to grow.

If any food should decay at this point in the game it should be the raw meats. Either use it or lose it to prevent massive meat piles around the sheep pen.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2018-11-26 22:36:46

Potjeh

Honestly I think it should be either mutton or poop, not both of them. Something like feeding a grown sheep gives you poop (should probably work with unshorn so you don't need shears for compost), and feeding a lamb gives you a sheep ie mutton. I think mutton pies would still be worth it, but not be as spammed as they are now.

#4 2018-11-27 00:28:47

Booklat1

Raw meats and raw fruits should decay tbh

#5 2018-11-27 04:26:16

betame

I was thinking of this issue too!
More from the standpoint of the constant new player base. It's counterintuitive that

• shorn sheep don't have babies.

• shorn sheep must be fed to produce wool

• ony lambs produce dung

I'm pro decoupling compost and pies, but I think if the decoupling is choice-based it will lead to another point of contention between new and old players.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#6 2018-11-27 04:45:07

Floofy

Feed shorn sheep -> wool + dung
Feed grown sheep -> dung only
Feed lamb -> New sheep + dung

So if you just want some dung, you feed a grown sheep and don't have to bother with over production of meat.

#7 2018-11-27 05:48:48

Stormyzabeast

Floofy wrote:

So if you just want some dung, you feed a grown sheep and don't have to bother with over production of meat.

+1

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#8 2018-11-27 06:05:54

pein

or the github idea, that make them storeable in basket, makes no sense that only cooked goes into basket

to be honest, composting is most important to keep up the city, you can always go and get water somewhere but getting soil gets harder and harder, and bakers are the most numerous, and they just don't really good at working together with the sheperds, while most people are just, come on kid help the farm, but they will only use the soil and water which is already there, pick off bushes, compost should be basic knowledge

on a sidenote:
(14x2)+(4x2)+4=40 walls used for 56 tiles
40-4=36 and 36/4=9
9x9=81

a pen always has 4 corners, and its size is Length x2 + Width x2 + 4 corners (except with fancy entrances)
The corners are always needed, only if you build next to something like berry bushes, rails, etc.
each corner needs to be walled 3 direction, each side needs 1 wall, the middle of pen is technically needs no walls
so increase middle tiles. how?  make it square
it's a lot of shovel uses but this is worth it long term, that pen just wasted 25 free tiles for same amount of resources
and make a few boxes and an oven near it, you can only have that much mutton pie as plate number which is generally lower than 30 including smithing plates (4-6), stew 1, eggs, burritos, tacos, turkey, mango, etc.

and use the jungle, or side of the desert, no point on making a pen on mid desert, the shepherd will be geared and the kids got nothing to do inside

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-11-27 06:14:34

lionon

Floofy wrote:

This!

The biggest issue currently is, there is no incentive to feed a shorn sheep, except when some idiot shore the last sheep. It's currently better just to kill it since if give that berry/carrot treat to a lamb you get a grown sheep and a dung, if you give it to a shorn sheep you get only a grown sheep.

#10 2018-11-27 12:47:03

Rebel

I swear you used to be able to feed shorn sheep to get dung, I may be miss remembering. I thought a sheep just poops when you feed it which makes sense.

#11 2018-11-27 16:47:41

PeaGirl

It would be awesome idea, but for now you gotta try to utilize the muttons in other than just pies. You end up having limited amount of baskets, plates and such, depending on wheat/clay/dough production. The issue is that since there are more than enough people murdering berry bushes instead of using more efficient foods like pies (I've seen adults sponging on berry plants and hugging kids, and seen bit south all kinds of pies just sitting on floor, without being shared or used overall.)

I think best lesson for new players is not only of learning how things are done, but what you can eat! It saves town the hassle with extra items being tossed in floor, while space in general becomes like air we breathe when you become more organized.

Edit: I've legit liked to do baking duty for very long time, but for several lives I have noticed that I have not had any plates to use since all the pies were untouched on baskets in boxes, which NO ONE thought of putting in their own baskets or bag. Not to mention the plates that are not even DELIVERED back to kitchen.

People... always... ALWAYS bring your plates you had pies on BACK to kitchen. Baker will thank you and feel important when you do this.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-11-27 16:50:05)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#12 2018-11-27 17:22:05

Gederian

Floofy wrote:

+1

Trying to save the city by feeding the last shorn sheep the last carrot just to return and find that someone clipped the sheep you just feed. Now were're in deep shit with no dung in sight. Someone is getting stabbed and it's not the last sheep.

Floofy wrote:

I've never looked at pile of mutton and been like "there is just too much". The only problem is the storage and transport is annoying. Let us stack it and put it in baskets.

/sidenote
What if the meat decays unless you salt it?

#13 2018-11-27 19:36:07

lionon

Gederian wrote:

Now were're in deep shit with no dung in sight.

kinda paradox, isn't it?

#14 2018-11-29 02:06:08

Jadelink

Floofy wrote:

This, absolutely.  Would solve 'mutton spam' issues, and mean shorn sheep have a use and shouldn't be slaughtered on sight and pile up in the kitchen waiting for enough meat to turn them into pies, but also, mutton should stack in baskets.

Board footer