One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-05-05 14:35:51

MistressZues

Re: Zooming out - Client modification

I wish I could do this, it would be very helpful especially spawning as a eve. buuuuuttt Im a visual learner and until someone does a video tutorial on this im screwed.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#27 2018-05-06 02:09:51

YAHG

I have been trying to do this for about 6 hours, currently I got it to build on in the VB thingy,
but every-time I try to get it to do option 3 and compile for win32 with MinGW I get the windows.h
file is missing error. Once I get it to work the first time I will be able to do it again though.

One thing for others trying to do this, those lines in the bigger box are not all together you gotta
use search to find em all. They are in the order he listed, also if you use ctrl+g you can go to next
in the search on github big_smile.

I want to try my magical powers out in game, alas soon..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#28 2018-05-06 09:41:21

spamvictim

@YAHG I suppose u r trying to crosscompile?
linux actually differs upper and lower case letters otherwise than windows, which doesn't care and would accept "windows.h" for the file "Windows.h"

That's why u should modify the neccesary files inside ur include directory from mingw.
The tut for that is provided by Joriom.

You can do it!

Last edited by spamvictim (2018-05-06 09:42:53)

#29 2018-05-06 16:41:13

breezeknight

i would still prefer an additional map of the explored region
something like an additional object, which had to be crafted first io to use it
craftable already in the wild Eve stage, would make life a little more organized & would be on par with home marker

a bigger visible area as the main screen is further disconnecting the player from the life happening

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-05-06 16:41:47)

#30 2018-05-08 07:20:47

Joriom
Website

I'm not sure for how long I will have patience to do so but I'm trying to update clients as they come our with zoomed out feature for everyone to download:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1467

Also, if you know at least basics of git and git mergetool you can use my "cheat sheat" to get changes done to code automagically. Before compilation, go to OneLife directory and do this:

git remote add fovmod "https://github.com/Joriom/OneLifeXcompile.git"
git fetch fovmod
git cherry-pick fovmod/master 58a22df7658fc49269dc
git mergetool

This commit (58a22df7658fc49269dc~) contains only the files needed for zooming out. It should auto merge in your code, but if mergetools is needed - always merge the part from local except for parts that tell your otherwise in comment, for example:

// FOVMOD NOTE: change 4/15 - take those lines during merge process
        mHungerSlipHideOffsets[i].y = -370 - fovmod::gui_offset_y;

For merging under Ubuntu I'm using Meld personally.

Also, @Drakulon:
I'm currently looking for a way to "fix" speach bubbles in wrong spots if sender is out of oryginal screen bounding box. If you have any ideas, I would feel much obliged.

Last edited by Joriom (2018-05-08 07:23:06)

#31 2018-07-19 14:25:26

Anshin

jasonrohrer wrote:

Beware of a few things:

1.  If you don't have enough resolution to support this, then all the graphics will be downscaled, which looks ugly and loses detail.  I settled on 1280x720 for a reason, because it will NOT be downscaled on pretty much any semi-modern monitor.

2.  The server is sending map chunks based on its understanding of the client's view area.  To reduce the volume of messages sent, the server cuts it as close as possible, and lets you get pretty close to the edge of your current map chunk before it sends you additional map information.  I expect that you will experience a lot more pop-in, of both biome ground tiles and objects, near the edge of the map when you run this mod, and even a slight spike in network lag will cause loads of pop-in.

The client has no control over what map chunks are sent, so it does not have the power to ask to server for information about a larger area.  Fortunately, because of this, this type of mod puts no additional strain on the server.  But implementing a larger view area that was pop-in-free would put a larger strain on the server.

1. Add screen size option to settings menu.
2. Pop in is fine, we've lived with it quite well so far.

Last edited by Anshin (2018-07-19 14:30:26)

#32 2018-09-12 11:55:29

Haumeax

Is there any chance this can be brought to MacOS?

#33 2018-09-17 16:39:14

Adveloq

is it just me or does this affect the sound? Maybe it has to do with stereo functionality and offsetting the "center".

I am Eve Raven. If not, I will name my babies after flying creatures. Or ridiculous and long names like Oluwadunmininu.

#34 2018-09-17 16:54:27

boggers

Oh, yeah... I thought the stereo separation was just way too wide, but it makes sense when you consider without the mod those quiet things wouldn't even be on screen...

#35 2018-09-19 10:34:06

Adveloq

boggers wrote:

Oh, yeah... I thought the stereo separation was just way too wide, but it makes sense when you consider without the mod those quiet things wouldn't even be on screen...

Exactly. This could be fixed by fixing (pun intended) the character to the center when in zoomed out mode.

I am Eve Raven. If not, I will name my babies after flying creatures. Or ridiculous and long names like Oluwadunmininu.

#36 2018-09-19 11:14:59

boggers

...or by panning relative to player instead of center screen.
I might bite the bullet and install virtualbox, the client changes I want to make are stacking up.

#37 2018-09-19 11:43:59

Joriom
Website

boggers wrote:

I might bite the bullet and install virtualbox, the client changes I want to make are stacking up.

If you're going to target Windows - you might be interested in my tutorial which includes some scripts that might help you out. I'm using the same github repo for corsscompilation tools as well as zoomed out mod (and even though its not part of tutorial itself, there is video of how I apply zoomed out mod there).

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Haumeax wrote:

Is there any chance this can be brought to MacOS?

I've just got some insight from Jason how he builds his MacOS version so I'm full of hopes for that.

#38 2018-09-19 11:58:50

boggers

Yeah Joriom, I have read through your tutorial, thanks for posting it.

I was reluctant at first because it seemed like way too much effort to set up, and I was never great with C++ anyway.

Unity3D has made me lazy in my old age. smile

edit: Joriom, (or Jason...) if I were to break out a few variables needed for zoom mod into ini files so anyone can set up zoom mode in notepad, do you think there is there any chance that it might make it into the main code via a pull request?

Seems pointless to do it otherwise.

Last edited by boggers (2018-09-19 12:07:01)

#39 2018-09-21 18:28:14

Spot

Isn't this considered cheating? I mean the person that has this mod installed can see better the structure of a village or he/she can plan better how to kill people. Is it fair?

Last edited by Spot (2018-09-21 18:28:32)

#40 2018-09-22 10:34:14

Joriom
Website

Spot wrote:

Isn't this considered cheating? I mean the person that has this mod installed can see better the structure of a village or he/she can plan better how to kill people. Is it fair?

That point has been raised in the past. While some players still consider it cheating, its not against any of game rules as you still can't excede the view distance of what server sends you (and you can't change that client-side).
On the other hand even if Jason (game dev) decided it's against rules - there is no way for server to detect your client-side view distand and as game is open source you would be able to remove any client-side detection right in the code and compile client without it.

#41 2018-11-25 13:13:21

lowdt

will it be updated or is this allready done and im too stupid??

#42 2018-11-25 19:56:36

CrazyEddie

This has been effectively superseded by Awbz' modded client, which includes the zoom-out functionality and quite a bit more. You can get it at https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife

Board footer