One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-22 19:08:28

arkajalka

The new mosquitoe bites.

Has anyone tested is it possible to survive mosquito bite in any condition without outside help?

I got bit by them on the road with cartful of iron and backbag full of food. Fully geared, strawhat, seal coat, rabit shoes, skirt. Was bitten at badlands so the temperature was almost as cold as it can be with those clothes and the temp still went as hot as the meter shows and i died.

Anyone tested that can you survive it solo, naked at snow  with food ready to eat or so?

There should atleast be a litlle chance to survive it if optimized. Otherwise it just discourages roaming outside of city which is already a big problem with the ground iron nerfed. And those pesky mosquitoes are everywhere, not just jungles. Im avoiding the jungles big time when roaming. Its more dangerous than any other biome. Even snow biome naked feels lot safer.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#2 2018-11-22 19:18:52

Stormyzabeast

Re: The new mosquitoe bites.

I survive being bitten all the time. Just keep your temp in the middle by moving to a cooler area if need be and hope your hunger meter was full lol. Also try to have food ready for when it goes away

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#3 2018-11-22 19:22:57

arkajalka

Stormyzabeast wrote:

I survive being bitten all the time. Just keep your temp in the middle by moving to a cooler area if need be and hope your hunger meter was full lol. Also try to have food ready for when it goes away

Have you even played the new patch?

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#4 2018-11-22 19:30:54

Tarr
Banned

You can survive bites as young as 14 possibly younger but I haven't fooled around too much with getting bit younger than Eve. Basically just walk out of the jungle and chill in a nonheated biome or arctic biome. I normally survive with about three or four food bars left in these scenarios.

I actually don't even think the extender timer works but that's something that takes a lot more testing to figure out.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-11-22 19:59:34

arkajalka

Well atleast i went down to 6 food bar, went super hot. Stayed at badlands the whole time, had food in backbag ready to be eaten, but no chance...

Pre boost mosquito bites were ez, but i understood that with the turkey update the bites were boosted a bit.

#6 2018-11-22 20:33:28

lionon

I usually just stand next to a banana tree avoiding more mosquitoes and pop in the banana as soon the fever stops. Only recently died to fewer at the age of 52 as the already smaller food bar depleted before the fewer went over.

#7 2018-11-22 20:59:05

Booklat1

I did survive today when I was quite young (well, I did die, but it was because it took me a while to notice i was ok and could eat. i survived the duration of the fever)

I rushed to snow though.

#8 2018-11-22 21:04:10

Tarr
Banned

Fever at least seems more reasonable now. I think the jungle is in a better spot (even if I still think we have too many bananas) though I think this is just a mental thing why people aren't trying for jungle villages (or mostly jungle). He just halved the spawn rate of mosquitoes so now even more jungles will be bug free.

The fever isn't even -that- bad. Just don't go running through dense jungle hungry and make sure you walk out if you do get bit.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2018-11-22 22:49:20

arkajalka

I've got bitten two times now by mosquitoes while on the road and died both times no matter what i try to do. The first time i was a elder male probably something between40-50's or so and now as a 14 year old female, both times geared up with clothes. I could not do anything to overcome the fever solo. Went to badlands as there was no snow in sight, but still the fever just gets you. Such a shame. Waste of good gear just for a mosquito bite and those things are every where. Guess you just dont roam anymore or never wear clothes when roaming cause the fever will get you every time.

#10 2018-11-22 23:06:15

arkajalka

Hmm just did some testing. Seems like you are just able to make it if you are naked and head straight to snow/badlands before the fever starts to rise. Guess my problem was that i wore clothes. So new meta no more clothes on suply runs.

#11 2018-11-22 23:07:41

jinbaili83

Cloths are your problem. For naked person in not hot boiome it is not a problem.

#12 2018-11-22 23:18:38

arkajalka

That just seems so ridiculous to me. Kinda going backwards in technology. There's really no point in wearing clothes anymore when nomading out of town as you risk yourself of dying of those pesky mosquito bites. So clothes are kinda useles from this on as towns are almost always build on warm places and theres plenty of food.

Well, guess ill make a broad walk with house containing chests full of different clothes and held a fashion show.

Clothes serve no function to me anymore.

Last edited by arkajalka (2018-11-22 23:19:23)

#13 2018-11-22 23:20:19

Tarr
Banned

Yeah wearing clothes + letting the fever rise too much is going to be what kills you. As long as you get yourself out of the heat before the fever rises too much you're going to be safe. I nearly survived the fever earlier at six years old but I didn't get to a cold enough place before heat got too high. Ended up starving out right as I gained a pip but before hitting age seven.

Basically just run to safety or stay naked. EZ

Last edited by Tarr (2018-11-22 23:23:09)

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2018-11-22 23:27:39

arkajalka

Let the naked revolution begin! No more clothes!

#15 2018-11-23 08:28:10

pein

same as with killing people, i had bad experience with seal skin and wolf hat as i cant really find a medium spot in desert edges, so i kinda used to dont wear seal skin, also as man i give to a female, or as female, well i dont like having a lot of babies anyway
wolf hat annoys me clicking backpack sometimes
same for food, rather take some lover calorie pie, and eat more often, eat before making actions rather than micro managing hunger, i produce a lot of food, or equivalent technology so i dont see point wasting time constantly watching my pips, i rather waste a bit and survive than be super effective and die sometimes

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2018-11-23 10:31:29

lowdt

I posted it allready in bug section. Mosquitos are your friends.. their sting heals if you dont starve and overwrites every other wound.

greetings

#17 2018-11-23 10:36:57

arkajalka

Think you should be able to survive the bite with clothes too. Dont clothes kinda protect you from bites in real life. Its funny that you can survive the bite running fully naked in to a flock of mosquitoes, but if you run in to it with clothes on its RIP. Maybe even make it so that it rather gets you super cold than hot. So clothes would actually protect you from the bite as they do in real life.

Also having a fever, makes you feel cold but you yourself are warm. So the fever doesnt actually make any sense how its now implemented.

Last edited by arkajalka (2018-11-23 10:38:43)

#18 2018-11-23 11:12:31

lionon

arkajalka wrote:

Think you should be able to survive the bite with clothes too.

No, otherwise the fight against malaria would be clothes? Uhuh.

Also having a fever, makes you feel cold but you yourself are warm. So the fever doesnt actually make any sense how its now implemented.

You *feel* cold, but your body heats up. The same as feeling hot when fever goes down again. It's correct.

#19 2018-11-23 11:43:21

arkajalka

lionon wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

Think you should be able to survive the bite with clothes too.

No, otherwise the fight against malaria would be clothes? Uhuh.

You *feel* cold, but your body heats up. The same as feeling hot when fever goes down again. It's correct.

They fight malaria with mosquito nets... Cloths cover part of you body which otherwise would be vulnerable to mosquito bites so a person with clothes would most deffinelty have bigger odds of not getting bitten when comparing to a naked one.

The question of the temperature is kinda two edged blade, depending on what it indicates. Does it indicate the heat you are feeling or the heat of the enviroment. In my opinion it should represent your feelings as you observe the world around you and make decisions base on it, not a stat for enviroment.

#20 2018-11-23 11:52:45

lionon

It's still a negletible difference, you get bitten with clothes also. Believe me every summer from own experience at non-malaria-carrying biting midges.. it doesn't make a difference, as long the midge can find some skin, they will go for it. They are not brainless "bullets" that get repelled should their first line not work. The fight against malaria is vaccination, not clothes.

The shown temperature is temperature comfort of your body. If you have fever, you overheat easier, ableit you subjectively feel cold. Making it show the "feeling" would needlessy complicate things 99% of players wouldn't realize...

Last edited by lionon (2018-11-23 11:53:41)

#21 2018-11-23 12:24:44

arkajalka

lionon wrote:

It's still a negletible difference, you get bitten with clothes also. Believe me every summer from own experience at non-malaria-carrying biting midges.. it doesn't make a difference, as long the midge can find some skin, they will go for it. They are not brainless "bullets" that get repelled should their first line not work. The fight against malaria is vaccination, not clothes.

The shown temperature is temperature comfort of your body. If you have fever, you overheat easier, ableit you subjectively feel cold. Making it show the "feeling" would needlessy complicate things 99% of players wouldn't realize...

I live in a country where you have big mosquito/blood sucking insect swarms called "räkkä". They are not deadly, but it makes even the wild life flee for them as there are millions of suckers. And for sure they can find a free spot to suck on, but sitll i would prefer to have clothes on when running into one rather than heading up there naked. Insect bites among other is probably the main reason why people actually have started wearing clothes to protect them selfs, as in warm climate clothes offer no real advantage in the temperature comfort.

#22 2018-11-24 00:56:51

betame

Getting out of warm biomes quickly matters more than clothes.

Running some numbers, you will loose all 6 pips if your temperature stays over 0.9
With or without clothes, you have a little over 12 seconds to get out of the jungle before getting too hot.

Fever in Jungle pushes your temperature all the way to max.
Fever in Neutral biomes pushes your temperature to a comfortably warm range unless you have over 40% insulation.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#23 2018-11-24 11:12:51

arkajalka

betame wrote:

Getting out of warm biomes quickly matters more than clothes.

Running some numbers, you will loose all 6 pips if your temperature stays over 0.9
With or without clothes, you have a little over 12 seconds to get out of the jungle before getting too hot.

Fever in Jungle pushes your temperature all the way to max.
Fever in Neutral biomes pushes your temperature to a comfortably warm range unless you have over 40% insulation.

The thing is i got bit at bad lands when searching for iron. These pesky insects don't just stay at the jungles. So i was already as optimal as i could be in cause there was no snow in sight. With clothes, it's a rip. Nothing you can do. Don't know if you can survive the bite with clothes if you head to snow right away and don't even feel like testing it cause its such a waste of clothes. Especially when the clothes feel so useless. Just go naked nomad, clothes are for noobs.

#24 2018-11-24 21:37:34

D3mon1cblack

i have been bitten fully clothed went to the arctic biome and my heat was still maxed out with no way to save myself because i was far from home so yah clothes are a killer with these pests

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#25 2018-11-25 01:23:00

betame

arkajalka wrote:

With clothes, it's a rip. Nothing you can do. Don't know if you can survive the bite with clothes if you head to snow right away and don't even feel like testing it cause its such a waste of clothes. Especially when the clothes feel so useless. Just go naked nomad, clothes are for noobs.

If you're bit in the snow it's automatically fatal at around 55% insulation, rather than 40% insulation in neutral biomes. (max clothing is currently ~87%)

Fully gearing myself always felt like a waste of effort; it's too likely I'll get bit/mauled outside of camp where no-one will find the clothes. Now fully clothing anyone is wishing for death. One-two piece nomad has my vote.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

Board footer