One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-22 21:57:13

dnz

[Opinion] Smithing arrangement

You make the snare, get the iron, prepare the kindling, get some clay (so the charcoal making isn't wasted).
Finally! You search for some flat rocks and start the setup, but what's that:
Someone is rearranging everything and tells you how inefficient your forge is.
That's where I begin to doubt myself..

So I would like to read your opinion about the perfect smithing-setup and if it's not too much to ask,
your reasoning behind it.
Thanks in advance!

(couldn't resize the images with bbcode, so sorry for that)

Horizontal Style
8FC6D950E32E366449D8143EAA3572D3E58DBA48

Vertical Style
C656E912B7E2760205B28E7E27361543102B5E20

As for me, I find the vertical style more efficient, since you can interact with things one(two?) tile(s) above or below, without moving.
What do you think?

#2 2018-11-22 22:03:06

arkajalka

Re: [Opinion] Smithing arrangement

Im just so used to the horizontal that changeing it would be more of a mess than what you would gain from it. Also the horizontal is what you see most commonly used by. Why fix something which isn't broken...

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2018-11-22 22:11:53

Floofy

I usually use the "messed up" arrangement, with tools scrambled everywhere, food mixed in it, and other random things. And then when i'm about to use the rock to hit the hot iron... i can't find the rock. And the 3 noobs that are idling and doing nothing (probably trying to learn how to smith) don't bother helping me do anything, instead they stand on the big rocks to make it hard to do things sad

Last edited by Floofy (2018-11-22 22:12:31)

#4 2018-11-22 22:56:09

Rebel

When I smith I always have a backpack with file and hammer in it.
My general rule of thumb for everything is the fewer tiles the better.
I dont ever use more than one flat rock. (Unless I am making multiple tools at once which is rare)

I would rather use more kindling and have a small forge space then try and be efficient with kindling and have a messy huge forge. I have seen forges that have separate rooms for charcoal production, which saves space, (no adobe and no need to take off bellows etc).

I mean, just do what works for you, if you have a certain way of doing it then that is fine, don't worry about space or timings or whatever, as long as the tools are made who cares.

If people wanted to be efficient they would make multiple areas, 1 for kindling -> charcoal, 1 for ore -> wrought, 1 for wrought -> steel, and then a tiny arse blacksmith that is literally just a stack of steel ingots and a forge/flatstone to make tools. Maybe I'll start doing that.

On an off note, build a forge house, with a door, that way people don't fuck around on tiles while you are smithing.

its the same situation with bakeries, everyone seems to make a huge arse area for them, the best bakery I have done was a 3x3, including oven, however, will say that was with 4 carts and 16 baskets (this was also about 80 versions ago).

Last edited by Rebel (2018-11-22 22:58:32)

#5 2018-11-22 23:12:08

arkajalka

I tend to use separate forge too for making coal and pottery. Main thing limiting the speed at which the ore is turned into steel is speed of coal production. As the crucibles need coal anyways. For every 3 ore you need to have one patch of coals. So if you really want to max out that steel production speed you should have atleast two extra forges pumping out coal constant.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#6 2018-11-23 08:15:27

pein

i make my own kiln nowadays, as the 5 min wasted on making new and carry all shit there is still better than 20 with babies, eggs and random shit around it

generally 2 kilns (after shovel mostly), vertical flat rocks
i can do more than usual people, even without zoom mod i was pretty fast, so i prefer more place and more stuff
like 12 clay at once, 5-6 flat rocks, but at least 4, two chopsticks, two firebrands (as i can still use it after one goes out without new kindling), honestly im ok even with 2x2 stone, and no stacks of bowls as i prefer swapping everything and not dropping my tongs empty
the only help is good is smashing iron with stone, but any error sets me off track like people usign hammer on iron balls or picking off steal and putting somewhere else or changing the free tile position

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer