One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-15 19:02:49

Uncle Gus

Re: The New Update did not do Enough to Stop Griefers

You don't deal with trolls by arming the individual. "Make armour in the game!" now trolls have armour. "make spears in the game!" now trolls have spears. Etc.

Instead of arming the individual, arm the group

#27 2018-03-15 19:51:22

Left4twenty

The Person In Yellow wrote:

death still wouldn't be instantaneous and the person stabbed would have an opportunity to response until stabbed enough times

One minute is one year which makes one second how long in game?
Every five seconds a month goes by meaning a second is about 6 days.  Six days is plenty of time to bleed out

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-15 22:09:30)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#28 2018-03-15 23:25:21

SantaFray

What was in the update?

#29 2018-03-16 00:57:04

Antichthon

What really sucks is if the murderer is invisible.

#30 2018-03-16 04:00:11

The Person In Yellow

Left4twenty wrote:

death still wouldn't be instantaneous and the person stabbed would have an opportunity to response until stabbed enough times

One minute is one year which makes one second how long in game?
Every five seconds a month goes by meaning a second is about 6 days.  Six days is plenty of time to bleed out

it takes about 6 seconds to lose a hunger bar if I remember correctly, which means that as an adult at their peak you could not eat for maybe 114 seconds before dying which is almost 2 years

#31 2018-03-16 04:26:23

Left4twenty

The way I think of the game is that the carrot you eat is representative of eating carrots for the months that you're fed from it.  If you want perfect realism go outside haha

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-16 04:26:54)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#32 2018-03-16 05:31:56

Greyhammer

Here is an idea: Dogs.

We already have wolves in the game. Make them domesticable with a piece of meat or something, after which they turn into a more mastiff type model. Make having a trash pit (or an upgrade to a trash pit.. call it a "kennel") the center of the dogs range, similar to a bear den. Then give them a multiplication/pack mechanic over time, so in the presence of a kennel there can be up to three dogs in a pack.

Now give wolves, bears, and human murderers a "enemy" flag of some sort. Just like what identifies humans to bears as prey. Make the kill priority like so: wolf > dog > human (murderer) > 2 dogs > bear > 3 dogs. Then just give them a decently large range, good speed, and voila. NPC guards that require effort and are fair within context of the game.

Now, before you say "Grey, this is game mechanic fiddling", this has actual basis in human/canine evolutionary science. Some say without dogs to protect us from wild animals, strangers, and acting as trash disposal, transportation, and sometimes even food, we humans would have never developed agriculture on a large scale and we'd still be small scale agri/hunters and gatherers. You know, kinda where civs in this game are currently stuck.

In closing: It is only fitting that, as the Chewbacca to our evolutionary Han, they be given a place in this game.

The dog defense rests.

#33 2018-03-16 05:58:52

DeadEye

I agree it does need to be harder to kill people. I haven't been the victim of an attack nor have I been a mass murderer; I've only killed one person because they were a troll in probably over 100 hours played.

The problem is there's no defense. You have no way to assume someone with a knife/bow is going to kill you until they've killed you.

Also as someone who pretty much only plays hardcore style games, I see no current benefit in it. Heck I even stole some water bags from a settlement to save my own and brought them back when I was an elder because I felt bad. Maybe I'm just going soft in my old age. tongue

#34 2018-03-16 08:56:35

Go! Bwah!

Portager wrote:

Why is it that everything else is complex, but mass murder can be carried out in one step (grab a knife and click)? It is illogical when looked at within the context of the greater game. Mass murders should have to work for their kills just like everyone else works hard at building society.

In real life, it takes about ten times as long to create something as it does to destroy it, so insofar as this game is meant to reflect reality (including the social structures required to hold things together), it seems about right.

That said, since it's a game, maybe it shouldn't be as frustrating as real life.  Or maybe it should - you can exit a game with few consequences, after all ;-)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#35 2018-03-16 18:07:16

Uncle Gus

To my complete lack of surprise, the "no eating when full" change made no difference at all to the problem. It took very slightly longer for a naked jerk to eat all the food in the settlement while everyone was still powerless to do anything about it. We need a way to subdue people when acting in numbers.

Hopefully the game survives two weeks without griefers ruining it entirely before Jason can fix this. I'm starting to run out of patience and I'm considering abandoning it.

#36 2018-03-16 19:29:34

Left4twenty

Make having a bow and arrow to shoot the guy eating a carrot as soon as he can a higher priority than it is?

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#37 2018-03-16 19:33:00

Uncle Gus

No, that's not enough. The problem is that griefing is immediately available within three minutes of joining a game with no effort required. Making a weapon takes a long time. The answer is not to empower the individual because that works more in the favour of the troll. The answer is to empower the group.

Last edited by Uncle Gus (2018-03-16 19:33:48)

#38 2018-03-16 19:38:13

Left4twenty

You have the ability make a bow and it's pretty much base materials and no tech.  If all the stuff is around it can be very fast.  The group is empowered they're not using their power.  It takes 6 minutes for your baby to be able to pick things up afaik,  a bow can be crafted inthat time.  If every village needs a bow asap, because gluttony is a thing, like in real life, I don't see the issue, it's just an aspect of the game.  Society has lazabouts. It has gluttony.  It has murder.  Because of those things it has competitive industry, it has controlled economy and it has a central body of law.  Removing these adaptive pressures neuters our advancement

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-16 19:39:29)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#39 2018-03-16 20:19:25

aeiowu

I still strongly believe this would be cleared uo in creative/positive ways by implementing off-screen dialogue boxes. I talked about it in detail here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=286

But basically, if we were able to “hear” people off screen, we’d be empowered as a group to start yelling “thief!” or “murder!” and we’d join in and find the one with blood on their hands. Maybe they flee, but we’d be able to convene and talk about who saw what, give a description and etc.

OHOL_yellingMockup.png

Not to mention that this change would allow for mother’s to hear children, people to call for help, and a community to function more like a community, for better or for worse.

#40 2018-03-16 21:50:05

Uncle Gus

Okay, so, you craft a bow. Now you have to carry it constantly because if you put it down, the griefer gets it. Now the very thing that was supposed to help you is used against you, and that's the recurring theme that I keep coming back to. You cannot combat griefers on an individual basis. The only advantage that good players have over griefers is numbers, but right now there is no mechanism that relies on more than one player to work. We need a mechanism that is more or less useless unless used in numbers cooperatively.

#41 2018-03-17 03:20:23

Portager

but the point is that it seems too easy to commit mass murder in this game

Yes, this is my point. Now I know that others in this thread have raised valuable counterpoints that a single hit with a knife is probably a realistic death in a neolithic society, and they are probably right, medicine as noted is not yet a thing in this game.

The thing is, this game really does not rely solely on realism when it comes to gameplay, it tries to balance realism with complexity to make the game more fun. In real life, a person does not necessarily need to make a fire bow and a hatchet, and use a leaf to create a fire...but due to the complex nature of this game, these items are mandatory when it comes to making fire. In real life, a person does not need to do anything complex to stab or kill someone, but in the spirit of this game...there should be some level of complexity wrapped into murder.

Last edited by Portager (2018-03-17 03:20:47)

Board footer