One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 06:21:14

Portager

The New Update did not do Enough to Stop Griefers

So the small v66 update added a murder sound to make griefers less stealthy, but honestly this is not enough.

The griefing problem is growing worse by the day, and people on youtube are now actually making videos of them serial killing other players. The only real solution to this problem is that a jab of a knife or a bow attack should only wound a person, not outright kill them in one hit (unless they are young, old or have a low health bar). Or you could make a knife a one use item when used on a human, make it break after use so that it cannot be used recklessly.

I mean think about it logically, everything else in this game is complex and requires multiple steps to accomplish. Why is it that mass murder is just one step? If someone wants to mass murder, then they should have to go through a series of steps as well. This could be loading a backpack with multiple knives, or wheeling a cart of one use weapons to the forest outside of town to commit the deed. Murder and even mass murder should not be removed entirely, but they should be restructured in the spirit of this game.

I love the work Jason is doing, and I hope that after he comes back from the developer's convention next week, that he takes steps to nerf griefing in this game. I don't mind strategic PvP, but mindless one click killing is not strategic or fun for anybody except the griefer.

Last edited by Portager (2018-03-15 06:57:49)

#2 2018-03-15 08:31:22

Dogamai

Re: The New Update did not do Enough to Stop Griefers

I think the idea was eventually towns need dedicated guards

#3 2018-03-15 09:01:40

Inoox

Perhaps if someone is killed within vicinity of their home marker then everyone is alerted

#4 2018-03-15 09:16:35

DiamondExcavater

I like the Idea of not being able to one click kill, 3 clicks would be enough, also 3 clicks on a human and the knife breaks... I saw this mass killing happen to a youtuber who was the victim, I myself was fairly new and thought it wouldn't happen to my group, however I was a victim now too.

#5 2018-03-15 09:21:57

DeyCi

I can't get how it could be fun to kill people for sport in this game, it would be like killing defenceless puppies for no reason. there are so many kill4sport games this is not one of them. The best defence, to me, would be not to get riled up about it. I often die too quickly anyhow, so I really don't care that much. Do you want anything I have? I am already working on giving it to you! Seriously!

Well I've played for a little over 20 hours I actually never got killed once by other players, unless the community didn't have space for me and then I was glad it was quick. So I could get back into the game.

My thought is that instakill is actually good against griefers, because there is no sport in it at all, people are defenceless, they don't even attack back they just die. IT. IS. NOT. FUN. You don't get ANY acknowledgement besides what is up in your head perhaps, there is no killscore. feel sorry that they don't know how to play the game and log into another.

Fight Hard Stay Soft

Last edited by DeyCi (2018-03-15 09:39:14)

#6 2018-03-15 09:33:57

Hans Lemurson

Trolls get their fun from subverting systems, whether these be game rules or codes of conduct.

#7 2018-03-15 09:48:41

DeyCi

Ok perhaps I don't get it, but don't you think it would add to a troll's fun if it was more challenging to subvert this system by adding more advanced fighting mechanic and people fought back?

#8 2018-03-15 10:00:36

Hans Lemurson

They don't get their satisfaction from being recognized for their prowess. 
They think it's hilarious that you thought you were NOT going to be stabbed! 
Or that you thought your legacy might endure.

They've caught a nasty case of nihilism and now think it's hilarious that anybody could see value in things that are so easily destroyed.

#9 2018-03-15 10:08:24

Cryptodream

Portager wrote:

So the small v66 update added a murder sound to make griefers less stealthy, but honestly this is not enough.

The griefing problem is growing worse by the day, and people on youtube are now actually making videos of them serial killing other players. The only real solution to this problem is that a jab of a knife or a bow attack should only wound a person, not outright kill them in one hit (unless they are young, old or have a low health bar). Or you could make a knife a one use item when used on a human, make it break after use so that it cannot be used recklessly.

I mean think about it logically, everything else in this game is complex and requires multiple steps to accomplish. Why is it that mass murder is just one step? If someone wants to mass murder, then they should have to go through a series of steps as well. This could be loading a backpack with multiple knives, or wheeling a cart of one use weapons to the forest outside of town to commit the deed. Murder and even mass murder should not be removed entirely, but they should be restructured in the spirit of this game.

I love the work Jason is doing, and I hope that after he comes back from the developer's convention next week, that he takes steps to nerf griefing in this game. I don't mind strategic PvP, but mindless one click killing is not strategic or fun for anybody except the griefer.

Maybe in the future (middle age) we ge a system to fight and defend. Until that point, griefers should be able to fuck uf towns.

Its part of the game, in the reality, society is limited to the acts of a few assholes, in the game should be the same. This game is a reflection of the reality, and the reality is full of morons and douchebags, messing with the worll, letting people die, etc...

To me, it sounds you want to play in the paradise, in a world where everybody good, and trolls/assholes didnt exist. I dont like them, but they are a part of the game.

#10 2018-03-15 10:46:56

Hiker170

Cryptodream wrote:

Maybe in the future (middle age) we ge a system to fight and defend. Until that point, griefers should be able to fuck uf towns.

Its part of the game, in the reality, society is limited to the acts of a few assholes, in the game should be the same. This game is a reflection of the reality, and the reality is full of morons and douchebags, messing with the worll, letting people die, etc...

To me, it sounds you want to play in the paradise, in a world where everybody good, and trolls/assholes didnt exist. I dont like them, but they are a part of the game.

I agree, that for a new Eve in a new area it should be seen as a paradise and that eventually the people who come in a join should be What really needs to happens is means by which you can just stop a character that is simple, like the idea on reddit with hitting someone with a stump or club that stuns them. Then even tie them up so that they are unable to interact with objects and tie them up again to prevent them from moving. This way you keep them in the game and they are forced to quit out if they want to start again, rather then just killing them and them being able to instant respawn.

#11 2018-03-15 11:47:57

Left4twenty

Friendly reminder that one hour one life is a game, and we play games to have fun, not to succeed.

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#12 2018-03-15 11:50:45

illumin8ed1

We need to be able to forge armor! Like Knights <- my best idea.

#13 2018-03-15 11:55:21

Cryptodream

Left4twenty wrote:

Friendly reminder that one hour one life is a game, and we play games to have fun, not to succeed.

This "game" is a Social Experiment.

Other users would create mods, to be more focused in other aspects.

Im already creating a few items to compile in a mod and share with the community.

Modders can increase the time to reduce food meter from 6 seconds to, for example, 60 seconds, and the lenght of the life, could be unlimited or real time, or whatever you want.

The vanilla game, is the vision of the creator of the game, and you have to respect that.

Think in minecraft and modding.

#14 2018-03-15 12:26:31

The Person In Yellow

Cryptodream wrote:
Left4twenty wrote:

Other users would create mods, to be more focused in other aspects.

Im already creating a few items to compile in a mod and share with the community.

Modders can increase the time to reduce food meter from 6 seconds to, for example, 60 seconds, and the lenght of the life, could be unlimited or real time, or whatever you want.

The vanilla game, is the vision of the creator of the game, and you have to respect that.

Think in minecraft and modding.

Is that what he said? I mean it makes sense to mod the game, but at the same time why would you think this state of the game is the final state when he is still changing things with updates?

Anyways, I do agree with the OP in that killing someone in 1 hit is a bit much and makes it very easy to commit mass murder. If anything each hit could take away 1 or 2 squares hunger from someone unless they have armor. This would double the hunger bar as a health bar and would still be somewhat thematic, since hunger and starvation makes people weaker overall.
But setting up walls and assigning guards also is something that would have done historically, which led to hierarchies and paying certain people with more food than others and leadership to assign people.

#15 2018-03-15 12:59:19

Portager

Cryptodream wrote:

No offense, but this is not really what I want.

If you read my OP, I am fine with murder...even mass murder. I just think that trolls should have to work harder for their kills just like we have to work hard at almost every other thing in this game. It literally takes like 12 steps to make fire from scratch, complex tasks like baking and smiting take about the same. Even simple tasks like making a basket require more than one step. Why is it that everything else is complex, but mass murder can be carried out in one step (grab a knife and click)? It is illogical when looked at within the context of the greater game. Mass murders should have to work for their kills just like everyone else works hard at building society.

If I wanted to play a paradise simulator, then I would not be playing this game. smile This game is far from a paradise.

#16 2018-03-15 13:10:41

Left4twenty

Cryptodream wrote:
Left4twenty wrote:

Except it's objectively a video game.  One can use it as a social experiment, Yeah.  But it's a video game at its core.  Personally I payed for a game to play and have fun.  I guess I shouldn't worry about how other people use the game that they bought, But I think one is just more likely to lose interest if they're focused on "succeeding" rather than having fun
If needing the game to be easier in some ways or mechanics to work differently is what they need to have fun then that's fine too, but when you change the core of a game, You start toeing the line of playing a different game, think vanilla Minecraft vs modded minecraft, and as far as "social experiment"goes, if you're playing to take part in a social experiment the one hour to live your one life is a fundamental parameter of the experiment

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-15 13:14:36)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#17 2018-03-15 13:38:20

The Person In Yellow

Left4twenty wrote:
Cryptodream wrote:
Left4twenty wrote:

Except it's objectively a video game.  One can use it as a social experiment, Yeah.  But it's a video game at its core.  Personally I payed for a game to play and have fun.  I guess I shouldn't worry about how other people use the game that they bought, But I think one is just more likely to lose interest if they're focused on "succeeding" rather than having fun
If needing the game to be easier in some ways or mechanics to work differently is what they need to have fun then that's fine too, but when you change the core of a game, You start toeing the line of playing a different game, think vanilla Minecraft vs modded minecraft, and as far as "social experiment"goes, if you're playing to take part in a social experiment the one hour to live your one life is a fundamental parameter of the experiment

What if succeeding is fun to other people? Then the people that commit mass murder and destroy stuff are making the game unfun for the people who want to play and advance through the ages (eventually). Although public multiplayer servers obviously have a variety of people with different ways to have fun, if 1 person is making the game unfun for multiple people shouldn't the majority be able to kick out or shun the minority in some way?

#18 2018-03-15 13:44:11

Left4twenty

Quote feed is getting a little long.  If your fun is in succeeding then when you fail you didnt have fun, if your fun is in simoly playinh, then you jad fun nonmatter what, to each their own though. This is a game about building a society, societies have thieves, murderers and criminals.  If you don't like playing a game about society then you don't like playing vanilla ohol.  If you're worried about success, succeeding at what?  Just building a virtual house, sans the rules that make it a pointless challenge (a game)?  Why?

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-15 13:48:43)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#19 2018-03-15 13:46:33

rebb

The griefing aspect is largely why DayZ degraded into into a murder-on-sight game, which it was not supposed to be at the beginning.
But people can't help themselves, because LUL KILLING LUL.

If anything these games show that psychopathic idiocy will invade and mess up anything.

IIRC, DayZ actually had some interesting systems in place in the early versions, or at least planned, where serial killers would be marked in some way with crows or masks or flies following them around.
That's silly and unrealistic of course, but maybe there could be some kind of "Karma" system in the background which affects different things.

Last edited by rebb (2018-03-15 13:49:12)

#20 2018-03-15 14:00:43

The Person In Yellow

Left4twenty wrote:

Quote feed is getting a little long.  If your fun is in succeeding then when you fail you didnt have fun, if your fun is in simoly playinh, then you jad fun nonmatter what, to each their own though. This is a game about building a society, societies have thieves, murderers and criminals.  If you don't like playing a game about society then you don't like playing vanilla ohol.  If you're worried about success, succeeding at what?  Just building a virtual house, sans the rules that make it a pointless challenge (a game)?  Why?

but murder in real life with a knife or bow does not normally take 1 hit to kill someone, which makes it hard for people to commit mass murder with a bow or knife. Sure there are criminals and murders but after it is discovered that someone is
a murderer they get exiled or executed. Murder was and still is (in some areas) a capital punishment. And "succeeding" for me, which is where some of the fun comes from, is seeing what is next in the crafting tree and how you can advance your society further beyond this neolithic era type crafting and agriculture. Isn't the game planned to have futuristic technologies?  if people just destroy everything you've built how will we ever get to that point?
The complexity of this early crafting and agriculture will eventually get boring (not that I have it all figured out yet) and I would eventually like to move on to see if there are more advance things, as I said before.

Last edited by The Person In Yellow (2018-03-15 14:00:58)

#21 2018-03-15 14:23:35

Left4twenty

In real life it does take one stab with a knife or shot with an arrow to die.  Getting cuts was dangerous pre-medicine.  Then try to think of a way to exile or execute your murderers?  The challenge of completing the task is what makes it a game.  If it was easy you're only robbing yourself of the pleasure of success
Wether I get stabbed or make that new tool though, I have fun playing and fun was my overarching goal

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-15 14:25:04)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#22 2018-03-15 14:47:42

jakeinmn

Dogamai wrote:

I think the idea was eventually towns need dedicated guards

I tried this, but three things happened that made this difficult as is.

We had enough food for a surplus for two dedicated guards. We were fully fenced in, but someone spawned as an eve inside and killed folks.

The largest thing is the difference in character models. A character that looked like myself ended up killing me once.

On top of that, when you have a dozen villagers running in and out, you need to have a chokepoint or defensive item of sorts. But adobe walls don't do anything for arrows for either. Having some sort of parapet or embrasure for a guard or player to fire from without getting arrowed will be useful in defense.

#23 2018-03-15 14:49:03

jakeinmn

Introduce Karma as a mechanic. Murders respawn as a rabbit or sheep. Problem fixed.

#24 2018-03-15 16:33:39

FirstConqueror

I doubt a person living during the neolithic, and transitioning into small agricultural societies, would be able to live through a knife wound, maybe we will learn how to make bandages and unlock a health science tree

#25 2018-03-15 16:49:17

The Person In Yellow

FirstConqueror wrote:

I doubt a person living during the neolithic, and transitioning into small agricultural societies, would be able to live through a knife wound, maybe we will learn how to make bandages and unlock a health science tree

death still wouldn't be instantaneous and the person stabbed would have an opportunity to response until stabbed enough times (depending on certain conditions). That would be why mass murder would still be hard to commit unless you could go undetected.
but the point is that it seems too easy to commit mass murder in this game, and the game has complex processes that constantly need to be watched by multiple people. This means that if even a few people suddenly die the whole village is heavily set back in farming/hunting and clothmaking/ crafting/ baking/ firekeeping etc.

Last edited by The Person In Yellow (2018-03-15 16:51:27)

Board footer