One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-03 19:25:54

West

Is farming in desert bad?

I was just told that building the farm in the desert is bad, because it wastes water.
Instead of a desert, you should choose the swamp.

Is this true? How does a farm in the desert waste water?

I tried to get an explanation, but got called stupid and threated instead.

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#2 2018-11-03 19:36:47

Jk Howling

Re: Is farming in desert bad?

Uhhh.. that's new.

As far as I know, farming in the desert is no different from farming in any other biome. It does not take extra water, soil, etc. Basically it has no impact whatsoever on the crops- nor does farming in the arctic for that matter.

From what I've experienced and read up on over the last few months, it's actually preferred to do a majority of things on the desert. This is because you lose a lot less hunger when warm [or hot] than when cold. It saves a lot of food to work on projects in warmth, because you eat less.

The only thing you wouldn't want to do on the desert is put flooring [aside from stone roads], make buildings, put fires, and wear clothing on it. All of these actually cause you to overheat and lose hunger faster.

Unless that's changed in a recent update, it should be the same as it has been?

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-11-03 19:37:26)

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-11-03 19:40:50

West

Thats exactly what i thought, but my son was really into "farming in the desert is bad", so I thought I missed something.
He did not seem new either, he knew his stuff, thats why I´m asking here now.

Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"

#4 2018-11-03 20:08:34

Tarr
Banned

Yeah I think your kid was a goober. The only time it is bad to farm on desert tiles is when water is just too far from the heat source to be viable without buckets (early game) or needing to make a bunch of water skins. Generally you want to do exactly what normal people do, you try to farm on desert tiles to reduce the food use of farmers and others around the location.

Not sure why your kid would think the opposite unless you were trying to farm in a bad spot or someone fed him wrong information. The only other reason you wouldn't farm on desert is if you were trying to farm around the forge or something.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-11-03 20:13:07

MultiLife

Gosh, has someone taken upon themselves to teach potentially new people bad things? A whole new kind of a griefer?

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-03 20:13:24)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-11-03 20:20:20

West

Spot was perfect, only bits of desert in a swamp, with like 20 ponds real close.
Forge was about 20 tiles away, at the border to a green biom.

Idk where he got his info from, but at least I know now, that the was no update/change to farming. Thanks.

#7 2018-11-03 21:00:15

Tarr
Banned

MultiLife wrote:

Gosh, has someone taken upon themselves to teach potentially new people bad things? A whole new kind of a griefer?

I'd more think it was just someone new passing on misinformation by accident rather than people actually going out of their way to teach new players wrong. I once had a new player chase me with a knife because I was butchering naked sheep. Either someone had taught them or they noticed sheep eventually got their wool back but didn't realize it was due to being fed.

So they of course were angry spouting how I was a troll killing all the sheep when in reality I was just clearing out the useless sheep and replacing them with fed lambs to get more wool.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-11-03 21:26:58

VioletLily

Tarr wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

I'd more think it was just someone new passing on misinformation by accident rather than people actually going out of their way to teach new players wrong. I once had a new player chase me with a knife because I was butchering naked sheep. Either someone had taught them or they noticed sheep eventually got their wool back but didn't realize it was due to being fed.

So they of course were angry spouting how I was a troll killing all the sheep when in reality I was just clearing out the useless sheep and replacing them with fed lambs to get more wool.

I agree. I was fed a lot of misinformation when I first started the game. The only people at the time willing to teach were other new players. When I asked an experienced player questions, I only made them angry. They answered my questions by calling me an idiot. This led to a lot of misinformation being spread around.

I've seen a lot more experienced players willing to teach than there were when I started four months ago though, so I'm surprised this is still a problem. I guess you can't truly know what it's like unless you are currently a new player yourself though.

If there are any new players on the forums, I would appreciate if you could let us know what it's currently like for new players at the moment. It helps us more experienced players know what we could be doing better.

#9 2018-11-03 21:27:56

tana

lol it reminds me that i got once curse because i killed all the sheep but one. they were all sheared anyway, no neet to keep them alive.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#10 2018-11-03 21:33:34

Tea

That reminds me of the times when some people told me that rabbit wholes don't get abandoned anymore, to always leave one berry on the domestic berry bushes and to never pick the last carrot of a row.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#11 2018-11-03 21:37:25

tana

I never understood that "don't pick the last berry" thing.

Was there ever a time where domestic berry wouldn't regrow if empty ? because when I started to play, they still needed 60 min to regrow, and you actually had to make sure to empty them as quick as possible if one berry was picked, because if one berry was missing, you couldn't fill the bowl anymore so you wanted to empty partial bushes as quick as possible because the cycle wouldn't restart unless empty.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#12 2018-11-03 21:50:21

VioletLily

tana wrote:

I never understood that "don't pick the last berry" thing.

Was there ever a time where domestic berry wouldn't regrow if empty ? because when I started to play, they still needed 60 min to regrow, and you actually had to make sure to empty them as quick as possible if one berry was picked, because if one berry was missing, you couldn't fill the bowl anymore so you wanted to empty partial bushes as quick as possible because the cycle wouldn't restart unless empty.

I was told when I first started playing that you should never pick the last berry of wild berry bushes because they wouldn't regrow. Maybe at some point, people started saying the same about domestic bushes? It's basically just a giant game of telephone.

#13 2018-11-03 22:11:02

Jk Howling

Its just an example of another myth passed around by players that don't know any better, or never learned about updates that happened awhile ago and refuse to listen to players who actually know what they're doing- or take the time to witness these changes themselves.

Other myths I've heard in current-day game includes:

"Always leave a berry on the bush, otherwise they won't regrow!"
"Leave a clay in the clay pit so it regenerates!"
"Don't kill the naked sheep, their wool regrows!" and "Grown sheep give poo too!"
"Don't dig up the reed stumps, they regrow in an hour!"
"Don't dig up wild carrots, they regenerate the seed!"

And the ever so common: "Don't empty the wells, they won't refill!"

-Has ascended to better games-

#14 2018-11-03 22:17:35

Roblor

I usually try to leave one berry on the bush, but for totally different reasons.

Not the domestic bushes though, or the ones miles away from civilization.

I know most the basic mechanics, but the applied temperature change of a wooden-board-tile is new to me.
The bear-rug tile however is not..

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#15 2018-11-04 01:02:44

Hayleygreen

Especially being a new player myself getting information like that is not helpful would easily confuse some players I’ve heard all of the “‘myths” floating about although people who give this kind of information are actually making the community weaker then stronger best place to come is the forums everytime to check things tbf XD

I’m normally eve hayleygreen I’m the newbie with knowledge! Haven’t been playing long but know what I’m doing big_smile
Played mostly the mobile version but now recently got it on PC currently play both thought I’d join the main pc community too! big_smile

#16 2018-11-04 06:52:08

pein

well the berry thing is after the update but before the buff
basically berry bushes were grown berry each hour
so kinda like trees now, it was only a soil and a tilling and you got berries forever but very long waiting time, and less skill for people
so people rarely planted berries, it was more of a luxury in popular villages
jasons nerf was on berries, empty berry bushes needed watering to regrow the berries, if it was empty, but also regrow each hour anyway so for one berry you got a water spared
was a very short period with that cause right after berries needed soil too and after complaints jason reduced the berry timer to 8 minutes and just water at first so the first huge berry fields were made
west town was the example, when a public town lasted 70 gen mainly because of the 2 big berry fields

a lot of people are chatting on berry field, and while talking, doing nothing much, so indirectly drawing noobs on desert saves up on food. basically naked people on desert got 4x more chance to survive longer, if that is your goal
i seen a lot of towns in swamp or green biome, with plenty of water, but you eat so much and got no time for anything else
i feel berry field on desert is much better for this, even if is further from the water, you got 35 food for a water in 8 min so one water run doesn't matter that much than the 4x slower hunger

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2018-11-04 19:12:32

Lily

So the reason why farming in the desert is 'bad' is because it is usually further away from water, and it is warm. It is warm which is good if your all running around naked, but if you are wearing clothing or near fires you can overheat and burn more food. I don't know if they ever fixed it but the worst thing was wearing a full set of clothing in a desert location next to a fire, in which you would starve in like 10 seconds(and instantly kill a baby)

So really these things are a personal choice and a lot of times depend on where you are at. I once built a farm in the snow area, which everyone would agree is usually bad. However, it was a weird overlap situation, where all the ponds were located in that area.

#18 2018-11-05 05:53:59

FeverDog

The "don't pick the last berry" idea is still around but I think more to conserve soil.  It's still idiotic that way too, though.  I often observe that no one pays attention to the bushes until there's a critical mass of empty bushes.  So I always try to pick the last berry to motivate people.

#19 2018-11-05 06:04:11

pein

yeah i seen people plant 200 bushes cause happened to have a bit more natural soil
yet until he planted 10 new all old ones were dark and half of the population cleaned up after him

would be enough with like 30-40 bushes and tell people eat something else
the only reason we need berries is sheep and compost, and picking off half of the bushes and fixing it is better than having more bushes
newbies like to see more bushes cause means even a bigger family can survive a famine
for me only means there are lazyass berrymongers and only motivates me to feed all to the sheep and dig out the extra bushes

i seen people who were planting extra bushes cause its ''not enough'and they even suicide if you tell is too much
i seen a few people makign roads around berries to stop it expanding so that's a good sign, still most newbies toss down soil 3 tiles away from kiln and start expanding endlessly regardless where water or desert is
sometimes i make a road than think why i don't just make a new one, its faster

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2018-11-07 07:44:12

Korilian

I’ve told someone not to finish the last berries on a tame bush. This seemed logical to me, because empty bush = soil and water, which might not come in an unlimited supply (especially before sheep). But then I read somewhere that its better to finish the bush and let it respawn. Does it respawn if you don’t finish the berries? Can someone clear this up for me? It’s kind of hard to ask about this stuff in game and I don’t want tonspread bad info.

#21 2018-11-07 09:35:55

voy178

Korilian wrote:

I’ve told someone not to finish the last berries on a tame bush. This seemed logical to me, because empty bush = soil and water, which might not come in an unlimited supply (especially before sheep). But then I read somewhere that its better to finish the bush and let it respawn. Does it respawn if you don’t finish the berries? Can someone clear this up for me? It’s kind of hard to ask about this stuff in game and I don’t want tonspread bad info.

A domesticated berry bush does not resupply without input. This means that you need to empty it, then wait a bit until it gets darker, add soil and water and wait even longer for it to fully regrow.

Always, empty bushes that you see before picking berries of full bushes. Not doing so might cause a famine when all berry bushes have been emptied and there is no food whilst you wait for the bushes to regrow.

I think it's better to have a bowl full of berries at all times if there are enough bowls to go around for the other jobs first, ofc.

Last edited by voy178 (2018-11-07 09:37:47)

#22 2018-11-07 09:59:35

pein

you need to use the edge of desert 2-3 tiles
yesterday i spawned into a camp where they made an oven to the middle
even if the eve found a nice spot and we had like 4 sets of fur  and 4 packs already, this just made it so bad
i planted milkweed in right hand side soil where was too hot

when i told my mom that its too hot and she gonna eat double she told me she likes to eat

sister made herself a loin cloth when we had the packs ready to be made

that was the point i was quitting

pOwzEv8.png

Board footer