One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-03 12:39:15

MultiLife

Fun with genetics! (Pictures involved! UPDATED 2019)

So how could the characters look like?
How do you like them?
Eye colour would be easier to see in-game, where the sprites are larger and have higher quality. big_smile

Made this messy edit for fun. big_smile
Updated:
nw1pmGZ.png

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-04 00:17:18)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#2 2018-11-03 14:11:34

Anshin

Re: Fun with genetics! (Pictures involved! UPDATED 2019)

OMG YESSSSS!!!!!
This is so awesome!

Please Jason, please put Mendelian genetics into the game.
It would make all your wonderful art go so much further if traits could be swapped around.

I love it.
Thank you MultiLife

Last edited by Anshin (2018-11-03 14:13:02)

#3 2018-11-03 15:59:26

Booklat1

Anshin wrote:

He can't. Mendelian genetics are sexually inherited and diploid, which can't be done if females are th only ones to reproduce.

#4 2018-11-03 16:03:42

Aurora Aurora

Pffft, I love the smug blonde guy. I'd steal him and have him as my pfp of the image wasn't so small

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#5 2018-11-03 17:32:38

MultiLife

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Pffft, I love the smug blonde guy. I'd steal him and have him as my pfp of the image wasn't so small

These should be the forum avatar size. big_smile

8xPUabc.png - https://imgur.com/8xPUabc

osuN5H0.png - https://imgur.com/osuN5H0

TItbTmk.png - https://imgur.com/TItbTmk

y9b3KYa.png - https://imgur.com/y9b3KYa

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-11-03 17:39:25

MultiLife

Anshin wrote:

OMG YESSSSS!!!!!
This is so awesome!

It would make all your wonderful art go so much further if traits could be swapped around.

I love it.
Thank you MultiLife

Happy to hear you appreciate it! big_smile So many talk about genetics, and I am into this too, so I wanted to make it more visual. Ahh the possibilities! Even if it's vanity, it'd certainly add into my excitement when spawning. It adds to the feeling of an identity. And I would love to draw the characters with all these small differences in fanart!

Booklat1 wrote:
Anshin wrote:

He can't. Mendelian genetics are sexually inherited and diploid, which can't be done if females are th only ones to reproduce.

There could be a random gene pool that acts as the father of each kid. smile

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-03 18:22:42)

#7 2018-11-03 17:51:29

Aurora Aurora

MultiLife wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

These should be the forum avatar size. big_smile

https://i.imgur.com/8xPUabc.png - https://imgur.com/8xPUabc

https://i.imgur.com/osuN5H0.png - https://imgur.com/osuN5H0

https://i.imgur.com/TItbTmk.png - https://imgur.com/TItbTmk

https://i.imgur.com/y9b3KYa.png - https://imgur.com/y9b3KYa

Thenks <3

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#8 2018-11-06 16:24:54

Anshin

Punnett Square Calculator because OMG I so want this to happen!

#9 2018-11-06 17:32:39

pein

you aint really need square calc, its simple to mix up the incoming categories and assign a main and a secondary (even with multiple)
for example brown is main color, blonde secondary

now all kids would be a mixture, actually would be even more fun if it would combine the things in order to be all different not by chance( dominant traits would give the ordering but all kids would be different seed)
but yeah needs some form of non abusive marriage system

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-11-06 18:03:20

MultiLife

Anshin wrote:

Punnett Square Calculator because OMG I so want this to happen!

Hahh, thanks for the bump. big_smile I do feel like this game would benefit from these kinds of unique mixes! Each spawn would feel more personal, seeing your character and their traits, wondering how they look like when they grow older. Man, would family trees look cool! Naming babies could be more fun too, seeing how different each could be. Cities could be even cooler places to visit to see the different people, especially now that we have like five families living in one city at the same time!

Random mutation percentage would be awesome too. And albinism and melanism.

pein wrote:

you aint really need square calc, its simple to mix up the incoming categories and assign a main and a secondary (even with multiple)
for example brown is main color, blonde secondary

now all kids would be a mixture, actually would be even more fun if it would combine the things in order to be all different not by chance( dominant traits would give the ordering but all kids would be different seed)
but yeah needs some form of non abusive marriage system

We could start with a "runaway dad" genes, by using the random pool as a father for each kid, and then when we figure out a nice system to create dads, we could start migrating towards that.

#11 2018-11-07 03:21:48

Booklat1

so, we should just use quantitative genetics for skin colour and some extra mendelian genetics using marriage as a base sexual reproduction system and make eves and other single mothers always generate clones (except gender gets picked each time and maybe some mutation chance exists).

#12 2018-11-07 16:27:33

Vexenie

Genetics could be inherited by a man doing to a woman
The most recent male that has done to the female, the baby will have a mix of mom and dad traits and randomly
Though women still birth, just you are able to do with men to get physical traits

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#13 2019-01-03 00:17:56

Vexenie

HEY AUTHOR!
Update the damn post!

#14 2019-01-03 01:25:32

MultiLife

Vexenie wrote:

HEY AUTHOR!
Update the damn post!

HUH, WHAT?

I was thinking about playing some more face scrambling as we have so many new characters now.

#15 2019-01-03 03:19:58

antking:]#

its a really cool idea! and it could work! What I think would interesting if a girl can have a random mutation according to their biome that they live in!

If you give birth in a cold biome you have more chance of a very pale or pale skinned baby

if you give birth in the bad lands you have a higher chance for a pale or a white skinned baby

If you give birth in a jungle you have a higher chance for a tan or hazelnut baby

If you give birth in a desert you have more chance for a black or very tan skinned baby

If you give birth in forest biome you get more of a chance of getting a tan or white baby

If you give birth in a grass land you have a high chance of getting tan and very tan baby

so people will slowly adapt to the biome they settled on!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#16 2019-01-03 20:00:13

Vexenie

antking:]# wrote:

its a really cool idea! and it could work! What I think would interesting if a girl can have a random mutation according to their biome that they live in!

If you give birth in a cold biome you have more chance of a very pale or pale skinned baby

if you give birth in the bad lands you have a higher chance for a pale or a white skinned baby

If you give birth in a jungle you have a higher chance for a tan or hazelnut baby

If you give birth in a desert you have more chance for a black or very tan skinned baby

If you give birth in forest biome you get more of a chance of getting a tan or white baby

If you give birth in a grass land you have a high chance of getting tan and very tan baby

so people will slowly adapt to the biome they settled on!

That's actually why we hane white, yellow, black , brown skinned people smile

#17 2019-01-03 20:04:27

Lotus

This is pure beauty.

#18 2019-01-04 00:04:17

MultiLife

Updated the picture with new characters involved! Enjoy.

Lotus wrote:

This is pure beauty.

Thanks! I wish we could have a system for genetics, we could look so different!

#19 2019-01-04 00:18:30

MultiLife

Honestly, seeing him walk around would be disturbing. He is way too happy.
cXkIG07.png
(That's the face a griefer makes when he finds a knife on the ground.)

Some parts just don't sit so well with others. :'D

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-04 00:27:14)

#20 2019-01-04 01:36:19

SirCaio

The last one on the separate top row looks so goofy I love it! lol

#21 2019-01-04 14:33:18

Vexenie

The black, noy brown, people I see like this:
Black, black, black, brown

#22 2019-01-04 14:48:13

MultiLife

Vexenie wrote:

The black, noy brown, people I see like this:
Black, black, black, brown

Yeah it goes like this:
1. original
2. original with beauty mark
3. slightly lighter skin with beauty mark and brown eyes
4. lightest skin with amber eyes
The eye colour can't be seen very well, and the slightly lighter skin is not really visible (I have high contrast and brightness on my screen so to others the difference is probably nothing).
I didn't want to stretch their genes too far from the original, as they clearly have high melanin production. I didn't want to lighten their hair; it's nearly impossible to give them light hair which looks good as in the sprites it is just black; the curly haired dark lady would be the best one to work with to make brown hair but even still the hair looks better in black due to the sprite being filled in so much with black.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-04 14:55:46)

#23 2019-02-02 17:14:48

Anshin

Bump for genetics!

#24 2019-02-02 19:27:09

karltown_veteran

Not gonna lie, I find the whole top row of characters extremely creepy

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#25 2019-02-06 17:57:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Love this stuff!

Here's the problem:

The characters are currently hand-made.  I draw eyes, scan the eyes in, and then hand-place the eyes in the best possible position, relative to the mouth, head, hair, etc.

Furthermore, there are multiple stages to the eyes, mouth, and hair, for the various stages of life, that are all tied together (but they are different sprites).  Each of these usually needs to be placed and adjusted by hand to get it to look right (so the "elderly eyes" line up with the "young eyes" and don't visually "jump" when the age transition happens, while also being positioned well relative to the elderly mouth and hair).

And beyond just position, I also hand-draw the parts of the character to go together.  The one with curly hair has kinda crazy eyes and a flat mouth to go with it (gives her a kind of Salad Fingers vibe).  Those go together.  And the hair color, and eye shape, etc, also are drawn intentionally to go along with the skin tone.  I think about each character as a whole package.

Yes, it's possible to procedurally mix and match these things, like Mr. Potato Head.  But they simply won't look as good as the hand-made characters, for all of the above reasons.

Also... I think there is actually something special about the specific characters, and there being a fixed number of them (currently 18, more coming soon).  You can get to know them.  You can fan art them.  You can name them in your mind (blondie, elvis, braids, etc).

As I keep adding more (my goal is 100 eventually, but no promises), there will be more and more variety, and less and less seeing the same characters repeat, while still keeping each character unique and recognizable.

If I wanted a proc-genned character system (like Mewgenics), I would have designed the whole character engine differently (whole banks of eyes, whole banks of hair, etc).  Instead, I decided to hand-draw specific characters, and have a whole lot of them.

Board footer