One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-04-24 16:06:26

Ayala

Re: Update: From Riches to Rags

Lily wrote:

If we are going down this path, it seems like the decay rate should be reduced if items are placed indoors. That way you can store things for later use, without having to make everything as needed.

+1, This is actually a pretty good idea, maybe even make things only deteriorate while outdoors, I mean, it even makes sense.
Or at least make things that can be stored in a basket only take 1/12 of a box's space to cut the rapidly deteriorating middleman, storage is a nightmare.

Last edited by Ayala (2018-04-24 16:07:04)

#52 2018-04-24 16:21:58

Ayala

wooblyman wrote:

Sorry man, I don't like this update. I like the concept, but I think focusing on what the game is about a bit more would be nice. The whole concept of the game in your intro video is what we do lasts FOREVER! and now it all decays and doesn't last for long at all?  Low blow as far as I'm concerned. lowest of the low. that concept of legacy is why I paid money for your game. The apocalypse was marginally fine, but this is stupid. please fix this update, I believe that it ruins the game too much, what we make in the game should last as long as you told us it would in the intro video.... forever (unless there is an apocalypse). Big fan of the game and would hate to see it die.

I was thinking about that, but come on, a basket can't be anyone's legacy, at least not one that lasts forever, I'm ok with bigger, more meaningful things being one's legacy, like a monument or hall that was constructed by people eating from your farm, a crown, a well, etc. A basket is a helpful item, making baskets is a helpful job, but it shouldn't be so easy to have your legacy last forever.

It should last longer, tho... Deteriorating baskets are the single most annoying thing.

#53 2018-04-25 21:29:50

Christoffer
Website

Ayala wrote:
wooblyman wrote:

Sorry man, I don't like this update. I like the concept, but I think focusing on what the game is about a bit more would be nice. The whole concept of the game in your intro video is what we do lasts FOREVER! and now it all decays and doesn't last for long at all?  Low blow as far as I'm concerned. lowest of the low. that concept of legacy is why I paid money for your game. The apocalypse was marginally fine, but this is stupid. please fix this update, I believe that it ruins the game too much, what we make in the game should last as long as you told us it would in the intro video.... forever (unless there is an apocalypse). Big fan of the game and would hate to see it die.

I was thinking about that, but come on, a basket can't be anyone's legacy, at least not one that lasts forever, I'm ok with bigger, more meaningful things being one's legacy, like a monument or hall that was constructed by people eating from your farm, a crown, a well, etc. A basket is a helpful item, making baskets is a helpful job, but it shouldn't be so easy to have your legacy last forever.

Agree that woven baskets are not much of a legacy to strive for wink

I think it's good and proper if baskets decay after one lifetime or so. Real buildings is more of a legacy. They should also decay at some rate, but be possible to maintain.

The truest legacy you leave behind you in this game are children, knowledge and companionship. If time did not chip away on what we build, this true legacy would have little impact on the results of the game. Building games are a dime a dozen, but this game is something else. I know of no other game that shows mutual benefits from collaboration better than 1Hour1Life.

Those of you who are up in arms protesting the updates, please take a step back and contemplate: It's not about what you build, but about how. Do you want to leave baskets behind, or smiles?

#54 2018-04-26 01:34:03

Turnipseed

chikenvoice wrote:

+1

+1

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#55 2018-04-26 05:12:38

Avalikia

I personally am a fan of this change, at least if I operate under the assumption that all the new bugs will be fixed.  There is one tweak that I would like to see, however:  That either baskets that are not currently in use don't decay OR that reed bundles no longer despawn.  (Of the two, I think that making reed bundles not despawn makes the most sense.)

The reason for this is that, while I see the logic of making baskets wear out over time, it does become frustrating that there's not much you can do to prepare for the baskets to do so, even if you plan ahead, unlike everything else that despawns or gets used up.  You can stockpile tools or the ingredients to make them so that it's easy to replace them as they wear out.  You can stockpile furs, string, and yarn to replace your clothes.  You can stockpile adobe.  You can stockpile all the supplies you need to make a cart.  But you can't do anything about baskets.  This is annoying!

#56 2018-04-26 08:31:25

dafro

I think the description should be changed, it says that its about using your grandfathers ax and give it to your granchilderen when you die. Its about building something to use in your life, and then realize that its not for you, but for everyone that comes after you. That is not compatible with this update. It would be nice if stuff didnt  just fall apart while we used it. Ruined cities would be very interesting, like if noone have been around something for a hour, it will start to fall apart. The debrees should have a use though. Repairing a dead city sounds like so much fun!

Last edited by dafro (2018-04-26 08:31:47)

#57 2018-04-26 09:31:47

Xuhybrid

Flintstone wrote:

-snip-
Do you want to leave baskets behind, or smiles?

Why is both not an option?

#58 2018-04-26 17:59:08

akoopatroop

For realism, reed bundles left abandoned should turn into rotted reeds, which can be threshed for thread.

#59 2018-04-26 23:16:16

Eve-rlastingGamer

akoopatroop wrote:

For realism, reed bundles left abandoned should turn into rotted reeds, which can be threshed for thread.

+1

#60 2018-04-27 13:10:34

Tane

dafro wrote:

I think the description should be changed, it says that its about using your grandfathers ax and give it to your granchilderen when you die.

+1
It's truly not anymore. You are lucky for anything you build or make to last a single generation, let alone like how my uncle had my grandfathers tools, which he made himself.

#61 2018-05-04 22:53:40

Babsy

Smithing tool breaks after using it two times. Steel adze after five uses. Stone hatchet also after a couple of times. This is just not realistic at all! Most tools last a life time in the real world. I thought you were going to fix these things??

#62 2018-10-28 18:36:52

Stormyzabeast

"I think we all have to look at this in a couple lenses, including Jason's.

**Gamer's View**

We get back from our workplace or school every day and want to feel like we're doing something meaningful, fun and exciting in our free time. Spending half your life in game getting a full set of clothes that you can pass on to your kids when you die and getting them the tools they need to build up things like carts was awesome, if you knew that they could make use of it going forward. It's been hashed out over and over that most people dislike how slowly the games become more and more grindy with the advent of the apocalypse, then the changes to the Eve respawning algorithm that made it very unlikely to find a formerly established dead village, to now making even our tools useless within a generation. These changes make people feel like they are getting kicked in the nuts over and over when a lot of the player base really got into the game initially and enjoyed what they thought were "core" concepts to the game like leaving a legacy for others.

@Jason, the comment you just made is not a good way to address players concerns. Being brutally honest with people is appreciated by some, myself included, but will leave a tarnish on some to not want to keep at this game and help you play test the game as it is developing. On average, before this update, user totals on servers were roughly 120 to 180 on a good day. Now only about half of that are still playing whenever I check. I fear you need to find new ways of approaching certain updates or people will experience shell shock......become emotional.... and they will move on to a different game and forget about this game. You can't just force a drug addict to cold turkey and expect good results from it usually. You have to ween them off of the drug and give them rewards and something to look forward to. Here is how I would recommend going forward:

A. Everyone likes to have "good" stuff and you can never give them too much of that. But no one likes "bad" stuff and everyone has a certain tolerance to this before they want to send their fist through a wall. So if you want to add "bad" stuff in, you really need to hide it under a nice layer of "good" stuff that will keep the drug addict from having a relapse withdrawal. Or give the bad stuff in smaller doses over the course of patches and not in massive amounts.

B. We all love this game but we want to look to the future. It's important to keep us game testers in the loop because we are also invested in this game. But we don't always know why you do things. I know I'm sure somewhere buried deep in the forums is probably some vague answers but most of us don't have the time to invest in that. You do a great job of addressing things after the facts and do a fantastic job with the limited time you have to talk with us. I know this has to be insanely stressful considering you have a family and are doing this all solo over 12 hour shifts. But maybe a big fat picture on the front of the website news page showing us what your current and future projects are would at least help us see some of the reasoning for why you might have just added some ,at least in our eyes, random change to the game. This would give us hope in the dark hours when we are given a dose of the "bad" stuff and help us get through the withdrawals.... kind of like a safety blanket.

C. Update the front page because it's a bit misleading to players. "Building something to use in your lifetime, but inevitably realizing that, in the end, what you build is not for YOU, but for your children and all the countless others that will come after you." This patch kind of put that statement to shame in it's current installment. "Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears." from front page. "Not sure what part of the trailer or marketing gave any of you the impression that you would build something in the game and it would last forever.....The fact that the game originally had things lasting forever was essentially a bug.  You got used to it, and grew to like it.  But it never was the long-term intent." Ouch. You did say "countless others after you". I think you did actually imply forever. Clear communication is key my good sir.

D. Hire some programmers m8. We all respect taking pride in doing something yourself, but sometimes things are greater than you and need to be allowed to grow. Getting like minded people on this project and directing them would allow this game to go from a "cult" game of 200 players to a game millions could enjoy if you are willing to turn the pride switch off. There are so many passionate people out there that I'm sure would love to work with you Jason. You are a god among geeks and many would love to work under you. "

------------------------

Yes, yes, so much yes! I got this game because of the description he's insinuating never existed. You've directly quoted him and he's contradicted himself. It's his game and he can do whatever he wants with it, but isn't it about the joy and happiness it gave us? There's really no game if no one plays or buys it...

I love this game but I enjoyed it much more before I realized everything we do is now in vain. It's really pointless and no longer fun for me. I haven't played in a week and have stopped obsessively telling everyone about "MY NEW FAVORITE GAME EVER OMGGGG!!!"

I'll come back later and see if he's taken it back in the direction it was originally intended to go in (legacy, tech advancement, lineage pride etc)

Last edited by Stormyzabeast (2018-10-28 18:43:43)

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

Board footer