One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-23 17:48:34

Turnipseed

A disconnect ban?

Alot of games punish people who disconnect from a match by making them wait a while before they can join again. I feel like this game would benifit from a ban on this end.

Not much can be done for baby suicides as its hard to distinguish between a baby suicide and a neglegent mother, but jason could curb the babies that just up and die in your arms by making them wait 2-3 minutes between disconnecting and reconnecting.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#2 2018-10-24 02:48:24

Sovietico21

Re: A disconnect ban?

Yes it would be great, with donkey town population went from 100 to 40, with this plan you will have 10 people playing...

#3 2018-10-24 03:42:56

Turnipseed

Not into donkey town just like 30 seconds to 60 seconds before they can join a new life

#4 2018-10-24 05:43:25

sarannwrap

I wouldn't mind having to wait a minute to start a new life, since I usually take mini breaks between my lives anyway.  I don't suicide.  I mean unless a mom is seriously insulting me or obviously resenting me, complaining about my existence when I am born, yet still not abandoning me for some reason, I live my life the best I can.  Hell one time someone even was going to abandon me cuz I was a boy, then when I didn't run off but stood still she came back and said sorry baby lets try this.  When I grew up she told me she loved me and she was so sorry for having doubts at first.  I really felt no bitterness about it at all and was happy she decided I was worth it.  I wanted to prove myself to her, and I think I made her proud although her life was cut short.  If everyone had to wait like a minute between lives it wouldn't annoy players too much but it would keep the SAME constant suiciders from continuously being born and doing the same thing if a troll (running around you til one bar, saying f then dying a millisecond after right in front of the kiln).

#5 2018-10-24 13:03:51

pein

well just cant really tell which is abandoning and which is suicide
i guess its not disconnect (i would reconnect every time and never used task manager to quit )

1 min wait wouldn't kill me, maybe show some tips like 'know your next meal', 'hold food before talking'' etc. cause some people just new

today we twinned with baker and mom didn't fed us at first, asking other girl if it should keep us, then that named me poop and they were wondering why we run away (eve scholar was our grandma)
ofc we quit on them once again and a guy shot baker so we don't come back
we found a nice camp but i stepped on a snake so i went back to scholar twice more, but now i quit on them
than the poopgirl was shot and the other was almost old, that's about them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-10-24 13:30:54

Tarr
Banned

Yeah I wasn't paying attention to why you guys were suiciding as babies since I was off doing my own thing. I figured when twins instantly spawned again it was you guys so when I seen babies running I just shot one to do both parties a favor.

Camp pretty much went to shit after that because the long hair chick shot your moms baby followed by a mexican stand off that led to me shooting her. Finally your mom stepped on a snake and then camp was over from there. You guys didn't miss too much by leaving.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-10-24 13:33:51

Anshin

Pein, I think the problem there is that if you are playing a twins game with someone and you die under 30 (so not subject to lineage ban) then you should always spawn back to where your twin is. You wanted to play together and the game should let you. That would also give some balance for the mom in the decision to keep twins. Maybe they're trolls (if they are shoot them so they can't come back) or helpful with the bonus that they do respawn if one dies.

#8 2018-10-24 15:27:20

JonySky
Website

Sovietico21 wrote:

Yes it would be great, with donkey town population went from 100 to 40, with this plan you will have 10 people playing...

How is the time in the city of the donkey?

This is not true, the population of players is the same as it was months ago ...
Only the heavy and annoying players who do not know how to play in collaboration with other players have been sent to a server very far away.

#9 2018-10-24 18:24:51

pein

well i don't stay if unwanted
they were clearly lazy/bad intended

i actually spawn back to baker, same mom so i was her lil bro, he didn't realize im tapping X and he almost kill me xD cause i took the bow
but actually was a good decision by me cause i got sheep and was pretty hard to do so
i missed out on pen placement and they just made 4 corner entrances, i extended, extended, from 4x5 to 8x8 and no one got sheep
so i went out and got one
i think is the low pop, so max 4-5 games and you get back to a city where you been
i also kill suicide babies and they generally thank me
i take them out like 30 tile away to a desert so the scream doesn't disturb others

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-10-25 18:30:40

Sovietico21

JonySky wrote:
Sovietico21 wrote:

How is the time in the city of the donkey?

This is not true, the population of players is the same as it was months ago ...
Only the heavy and annoying players who do not know how to play in collaboration with other players have been sent to a server very far away.

It is true, i often check the webpage to see if there are enough people to play, because if there are only 30 players it mean i will spawn over and over in two or three towns.

http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report

Before the donkey patch server one was full, and server two had like 20 people.
Today we have a population of 30 to 40 people.
If you keep restricting players freedom and anoying them with bullshit, and wait lines there will be almost no people left here.

#11 2018-10-25 18:48:09

Tarr
Banned

Sovietico21 wrote:

If you keep restricting players freedom and anoying them with bullshit, and wait lines there will be almost no people left here.

Only making one post to feed the troll.

Basically, we're having player drop off not because of donkey town but because the lack of meaty updates. The last three weeks have basically just been bugfixes which don't change any sort of gameplay, followed by emotions which didn't add anything besides some little rp fun. We've basically gone a full month without any game changers which means people are going to get bored of the game. Even before all these little things we had two new models (doesn't change gameplay but always welcome), tree farming (very needed but you never see the work you put into trees unless reborn) and then dogs and donkeys (dogs were a pain in the ass for multiple weeks).

The population didn't get slashed in half because you can't get away with griefing without some sort of repercussion but because nothing has really changed within nearly two months. Cows are okay, railways aren't coded optimally so they're very niche, paper can be fun but doesn't change core aspects, and I've already mentioned the other updates.

You can't exactly expect people to play this game forever without things getting update changes, there is only so many things you can do in OHOL. You are bound to run out of things to do and at that point you should probably take a break from the game until things change a bit. I know I personally take small breaks from the game whenever it starts to get stale and come back with fresh faced ready for the new content.

TL;DR- Player drop off is from two months of the same thing, not from a bunch of donkeys leaving the game.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2018-10-25 19:31:13

Sovietico21

Tarr wrote:
Sovietico21 wrote:

Only making one post to feed the troll.

Basically, we're having player drop off not because of donkey town but because the lack of meaty updates. The last three weeks have basically just been bugfixes which don't change any sort of gameplay, followed by emotions which didn't add anything besides some little rp fun. We've basically gone a full month without any game changers which means people are going to get bored of the game. Even before all these little things we had two new models (doesn't change gameplay but always welcome), tree farming (very needed but you never see the work you put into trees unless reborn) and then dogs and donkeys (dogs were a pain in the ass for multiple weeks).

The population didn't get slashed in half because you can't get away with griefing without some sort of repercussion but because nothing has really changed within nearly two months. Cows are okay, railways aren't coded optimally so they're very niche, paper can be fun but doesn't change core aspects, and I've already mentioned the other updates.

You can't exactly expect people to play this game forever without things getting update changes, there is only so many things you can do in OHOL. You are bound to run out of things to do and at that point you should probably take a break from the game until things change a bit. I know I personally take small breaks from the game whenever it starts to get stale and come back with fresh faced ready for the new content.

TL;DR- Player drop off is from two months of the same thing, not from a bunch of donkeys leaving the game.

Well thats an opinion, i think almost all the players who were sent to donkey had quit probably.
No one will stare a screen for hours to get a ban out of his account.

Pd: plus im not a troll, i want the game that i bought not to derrail.

Last edited by Sovietico21 (2018-10-25 19:32:17)

#13 2018-10-25 19:57:04

NootNoot

Ah, is that why sometimes babies die while you're feeding them? They quit out? I'm new but have been boggled why I've had babies die in my arms or get born and die immediately. I had about three kids die immediately on me yesterday.

#14 2018-10-25 20:05:44

Turnipseed

Yeah, but this thread needs to die the problem i was adressing has already been solved. It will be fixed in next update

#15 2018-10-25 23:01:44

Cecil

I'm late to the thread, but OP is coming at this from the wrong angle.

You don't need to punish the players when there's things you can do to ease the situation for everyone instead. Instead of applying rules to people who leave, suicide, disconnect, etc, you let them pick if they want to spawn as a male or female baby, or as an Eve. That won't affect all of the quitters, but I promise it will address a decent portion of them.

If you guys don't want your fellow players to have that level of control over their experience, you are forced to punish them if you still want to stop the behavior you dislike. Punishment leads to spite though, so that's not necessarily going to disarm the situation.

I can't stand being born into a big town. Most of the time, I want to play an Eve. Occasionally, I might help out if I'm a 2nd or 3rd gen (then I run off and pretend to be an Eve anyway).

Board footer