One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-17 00:18:33

parker

handcuff idea

handcuffs could be a way to detain murderers without killing them, for example to question them rather than stabbing without knowing the full story
rope + steel ingot = handcuffs (bad recipe but i cant think of anything else)
handcuffs would function like holding a baby, and the person in them cannot pick anything up besides food. you could also click on a fence post to lock someone to it, functioning like a prison. you could then interrogate them, and if they are innocent right click with a hammer to take off the cuffs, or right click with a knife to "execute" them per se

Did you know 8/10 babies commit suicide when most needed? Dial 1-800-420-BEBE to find out more today.

#2 2018-10-17 00:37:53

MegaLlama

Re: handcuff idea

The handcuff idea has been mentioned before, many times actually. I for one, support the idea, but perhaps there should be some requirement for the handcuffs to work. I think that handcuffs should only work if applied to someone on murder cooldown, that way, you could prevent a griefer from stealing the only hammer and cuffing everyone, effectively making a whole town their personal play-pen.

I also don't think that handcuffs should totally immobilise murderers, perhaps they instead move at a murder cooldown speed, allowing them to reach food, but safeguarding against escapes.

#3 2018-10-17 02:54:35

Starknight_One

Hmmm. It needs a few things in between.

Some kind of form would be needed for the cuffs; could be stone, could be steel... could be iron?

Forming rounded shapes out of iron or steel pretty much requires an anvil or machine tools. That would probably be... hmm. Allow stacking of hot steel ingots. Gives end result of:

hot steel ingot on flat rock + hot steel ingot in tongs = pile of hot steel ingots on flat rock (2)
hot steel ingot in tongs + pile of hot steel ingots on flat rock (2)= pile of hot steel ingots on flat rock (3)
pilr of hot steel ingots on flat rock(n) + 3s = pile of steel ingots on flat rock (n)
pile of hot steel ingots on flat rock(3) + smithing hammer = hot anvil form
hot anvil form + smithing hammer =  basic anvil
hot anvil form + 3s = cracked anvil
cracked anvil + pickaxe = pile of steel ingots (3)

The anvil would function like a flat rock, plus allow the addition of more recipes that require the use of the anvil. In addition, the anvil adds +1s of heat to heated metals placed on it. (This is an actual function of the anvil in blacksmithing, to regulate temperature and keep the metal malleable longer.) This would also allow for the addition of recipes requiring two or more ingots to forge.

Add new recipes:
chisel + wrought iron = iron bars (2) [new stackable item]
hand + iron bars (2) = iron bar + held iron bar
held iron bar + ground = iron bar
tongs + iron bar = iron bar in tongs
iron bar in tongs + firing forge = heated iron bar in tongs
heated iron bar in tongs + flat rock = heated iron bar on flat rock
heated iron bar on flat rock + round rock = hot cuff blank
hot cuff blank + 3s = cuff blank
tongs + cuff blank = cuff blank in tongs
cuff blank in tong + firing forge = hot cuff blank
hot cuff blank + anvil = hot cuff blank on anvil
hot cuff blank on anvil + smithing hammer = hot cuff
hot cuff + 3s = cuff
hot cuff blank on anvil + 3s = cuff blank on anvil
cuff blank on anvil + tongs = cuff blank in tongs
cuff + cuff = pair of cuffs
hot steel ingot in tongs + anvil = hot steel ingot on anvil
hot steel ingot on anvil + smithing hammer = pile of chain links
pair of cuffs + pile of chain links = manacles

Manacles can't be locked. They can be placed on people in murder cooldown by anyone who can pick them up. They can be removed by anyone who is not wearing them. While wearing them, a person can only pick up food items.

Iron bars could also be used make cage walls and doors. They wouldn't prevent passing items through, but would prevent movement of people and animals. Cage doors would need to be locked like other doors.

<voice = "Mike Nelson"> So that's our invention exchange this week. What do you think, sirs? </voice>

#4 2018-10-17 18:38:35

TrustyWay

We have been whining for handcuffs for a moment, I guess we have to wait

#5 2018-10-18 13:31:00

pein

nobody likes to play standing simulator
has more abuses than uses

i would rather quit than watch an act of noobs judging over my fate
too much rp bullshit

is a bad mechanic in this eating simulator

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-10-18 13:39:11

MultiLife

Anything jail related won't work in this game. People don't want to sit in prisons or be incapacitated, they will just disconnect, leaving prisons and handcuffs unused.
I'd rather have people lasso each other to immobilize them, but that's gonna be an annoying griefing tool which could be used to starve people.

I agree with Pein.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2018-10-18 15:02:58

Tramax

I dunno, I've been thrown into the brig on Space Station 13 enough times to know it's not horrible getting a time out in a multiplayer game, and so many other players can deal with >8 minutes punishment on that.

Could a compromise be a tether that allows you to move within a radius of 4 tiles while still having full actions within the 8tile^2 surrounding it?
That way, you can feed punished members by placing food down at the edge of their radius without getting stabbed, and they can surrender by putting their knife down before the timer ends. If they don't want to give up their knife, that opens them up for being cursed and killed.
As a bonus for disciplining them, anything they didn't make/harvest that isn't a clay bowl or food cannot be picked up for the following ten minutes. This in particular doesn't bother players who got griefed by someone putting them in time out, but for people who are problems it inhibits the damage they can do.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-10-18 15:04:15)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#8 2018-10-19 19:29:06

TrustyWay

I rather being captured and have a trial than getting chopped up.

Suiciding while being handcuffed should double your curses except if you die of hunger and near of the guy who captured.

I know it's annoying to get caught but deal with it just like you deal with everything else. But at least if you are innocent you can survive.

#9 2018-10-21 16:33:21

Lum

"Too much rp bullshit" says pein, ignoring the fact that this game has always been rp bullshit, from the naming system, to the family trees, to the "i love you" exchanged with a stranger, to the burial functionality, to the roses and the colored clothing, to the dogs...

ign: summerstorm, they/them

Board footer