One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-16 01:42:39

UnnoticedShadow

Suggestion: Make Fence Gates Useful

While fence gates were of course crafted with good intentions, and have brought better vibes to the game, they are yet to feel complete.  While they look amazing, there main issue is the fact that animals can walk through them, and will often do such the moment the gate is opened.  I think that animals should not walk through open fence gates, in order to give them more use.  While I don't know how hard this may be to program, I know for a fact it would not be impossible, and almost certainly worth the time.

This would also encourage people with Adobe Pens to build fence gates (being more convenient) having a fence gate on an adobe pen, being ugly, may encourage more people to make a whole fence pen!  It would also, of course allow actual fence pens to be built, like the game intends.

#2 2018-10-16 02:08:37

Jk Howling

Re: Suggestion: Make Fence Gates Useful

I don't think a slight edit to fence gates would make fence pens themselves be more viable, since the issue with making an entire pen out of fences is how taxing it is on resources that are constantly in need for other things. Early game can't make a good size fence pen very easily or quickly, so they make do with what's more available- clay, reeds, and reed stumps.

As it is, this would be a great addition, but like you said- I have no idea how it'd be implemented or how difficult it might be. Right now we have to make do with planting a berru bush in front of the gate, and blocking off the three cardinal sides of that bush with something un-passable [usually oven bases]. It's kinda ridiculous.

What I always imagined for fence gates was something like a single-click action in which you pass through the gate. Clicking on the gate would activate a short cutscene [not instantaneous, but maybe 1-2 seconds long at best] in which the player opens the gate, walks through, and closes/it falls shut behind them. That way players can't leave it open, and animals can't pass through.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-16 02:09:17)

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-10-16 02:33:01

Tarr
Banned

I feel like all the fence work has just been a waste of time. I mean yeah it's nice people can actually use fences now but everything that has been added/worked on for gates solved none of their big problems.

Gates basically work exactly how taking the center piece out worked. If you want to use gates you have to specifically block everything around a gate to stop animals from escaping when you open it. This had already been solved by the players by inventing corner openings to our pens to prevent animals from escaping and allowing players to get in easily.

I get it you guys fence people don't like ugly pens but literally every other material would have to be useless to allow fences to be the go to pen. Hell, adobe makes for better buildings too but they're just so ugly as half walls that people refuse to build with it. With the amount of goofy people who build stone buildings in the desert adobe has more upsides since it doesn't insulate as a half wall.

Basically all items or structures you make you have to pay for it in either efficiency, (fences are anything but this) time, (it takes quite a bit of time to build with anything that looks nice) or vanity, (if it looks bad it probably didn't cost either of the first things.)

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2018-10-16 08:01:40

pein

same as i suggested for doors: attach something to it (doormat for doors), that counts as an item, cant be blocked

now its still ok  to make a triangle in front of it

it could be done that in open state blocks 2 out of 3 tiles outside

oooo
xxgx
xoox
xxxx

o-open x-wall/fence g-gate
now it turns into

oogg
xxgx
xoox
xxxx

now this wont work with front entrance, only with corner entrance, also this could be abused a bit and kinda weird to turn 1 gate into 2 walls

the other solution would be gate opening to two sides
ooxoo
ooboo
xxgxx
xooox
xxxxx

b-bush

into
ooxoo
ogbgo
xxgxx
xooox
xxxxx
it would still need a wall and a bush in front of it or 5 gates in a row turn into five walls both sides
this case gates not needed to close them so might be blocked with a rail? then it would be kinda good

or ofc lettign players trough closed gate state

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-10-16 12:43:09

Tramax

Maybe adding a steel mining pick head could make a kissing gate, creating what Jk Howling describes.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#6 2018-10-16 14:09:47

Starknight_One

... am I the only one who gets a chuckle out of seeing 'New posts' after a topic about fence gates? Really?

Don't mind me, I'll just show myself out. smile

#7 2018-10-16 14:23:11

tana

i think the gates are actually a great addition, you can open and close them even if you're holding an item in your hands...
All you have to do is be a little extra carefull when you open it, to close it right away and check the animals arent too close. even if one gets out, no big deal, as long as there's still one inside, the escapee can just be sheared and butchered.
If we really want to add an extra layer of security we could make a little airlock with two gates between a little corridor, just like we used to do with old fences, a buffer area where we can leave the shears, spindle and other tools needed.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#8 2018-10-16 19:11:13

UnnoticedShadow

Another way I should have mentioned it would help livestock farming, is to allow people to build smaller pens, since adobe pens will obviously not be in the game forever, and fence pens are hard to make as it is.  With the current cost of intended fence pens, we need a intended way to open them without spending 4 mins getting them all back in the small space.

#9 2018-10-16 21:50:53

D3mon1cblack

Tramax wrote:

Maybe adding a steel mining pick head could make a kissing gate, creating what Jk Howling describes.

reading your commend made me look up the kissing gate and tought of a gate we have in the areas we release cattle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_grid

It is basically a hole in the ground with multiple iron bars on top of it surrounded by fences
people can walk over it and vehicles aswell (carts for example) wile holding cattle in it

Last edited by D3mon1cblack (2018-10-16 21:51:12)

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#10 2018-10-16 22:15:02

VioletLily

I haven't played for a couple of weeks, so I haven't seen the gates, but from what I hear wouldn't you be able to make a two gate design like they have in dog parks? Open one gate to a one tile spot (maybe with something on it or not), then close that gate and open the next. It would allow you to use gates without risking having animals come through. Maybe people have already done this though. Like I said, I haven't played for a while.

#11 2018-10-17 00:38:58

Potjeh

Forget gates, just give us stiles. Basically a fence tile that a person can walk over but livestock can't.

#12 2018-10-17 08:27:05

Blabos

How about making fences out of planks instead of large shafts, would make it easier to get i guess.

#13 2018-10-17 08:35:26

pein

tested my bush design

basically you let sheared sheep out, and leave the others inside, even helps on feeding them

xoxoxoxox
obbbbbbbo
xbobobobx
obbbbbbbo
xbobobobx
obbbbbbbo
xbobobobx
obbbbbbbo
xoxoxoxox

this is a 3x3 made of a bush grid and a few adobe/graves
uses same amount of graves as a 3x3, it's a 3x3, but has entrances all the way around
has food for yo uand for sheep, and can plant other stuff in wall zone as sheep wont exit, as it cant step on berry

its more of a meme pen, but has some good uses
i did a 2x2 and i only had to block 2 tiles inside, and i could release the sheared sheep, kill outside, even if you don't kill its just hangs around not leaving the biome and wont eat carrot if sheared, basically expanding the pen out this way just made it more visible how a sheep can go out so i could enclose the pen again before others arrive to same spot, while with smaller one just would move twice fast, if im around
also was a nice place for people to hang around
gets huge ingame doh, but if you can use/reuse existing bushes saves a bit of time
its more of a cow pen design 1x1, or a 2x2 sheep with releasing/taking back lambs

Last edited by pein (2018-10-17 08:39:27)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-10-17 16:20:57

ShadouFireborn

Could use a double gate system to keep animals from getting out. Something like...

F=Fence
O=Open Space
G=Gate
B=Berry bush

FFFFF
FOOOF
FOOOF
FOOOF
FFGFF
OFBFO
OFGFO

Enter the first gate and close it behind you. Then open the second gate and enter the pen. Livestock can't get into the gate lock because of the berry bush there. Same deal on the way out. As long as you close the gate behind you, livestock can't escape the pen.

Heck... Even do it without the bush, and you can have an area to shear a sheep and release it to be butchered outside the pen. Just stand inside the gate area, wait for the sheep to come to you, shear it, release it to the butcher, and wait for the next one. Less clutter inside the pen, and you don't need to make such a large pen to allow for sheep bones clutter until it decomposes.

Could also make a second pen attached to the first with such a gate. Shear the sheep, let it into the second pen to be slaughtered at the baker's leisure. Could attach the bakery to the second pen, too, and this would obviate the need for the Shepherd to have a knife. The baker just butchers the sheep themselves and uses the meat immediately. Then you don't need to make a pile of boxes for the meat either, or scatter it across an entire biome. Just leave the meat right where you slaughtered the sheep, or leave the sheep alive until you need the meat.

Last edited by ShadouFireborn (2018-10-17 16:33:27)

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#15 2018-10-17 16:42:08

pein

ShadouFireborn wrote:

Could use a double gate system to keep animals from getting out. Something like...

F=Fence
O=Open Space
G=Gate
B=Berry bush

FFFFF
FOOOF
FOOOF
FOOOF
FFGFF
OFBFO
OFGFO

Enter the first gate and close it behind you. Then open the second gate and enter the pen. Livestock can't get into the gate lock because of the berry bush there. Same deal on the way out. As long as you close the gate behind you, livestock can't escape the pen.

Heck... Even do it without the bush, and you can have an area to shear a sheep and release it to be butchered outside the pen. Just stand inside the gate area, wait for the sheep to come to you, shear it, release it to the butcher, and wait for the next one. Less clutter inside the pen, and you don't need to make such a large pen to allow for sheep bones clutter until it decomposes.

Could also make a second pen attached to the first with such a gate. Shear the sheep, let it into the second pen to be slaughtered at the baker's leisure. Could attach the bakery to the second pen, too.

waste of free tile
but yeah, sheared sheep wont go far, so letting them out for butchering saves on cleanup, would be nice to have some stuff for redirecting sheep
you can feed lamb and take it to the oven, then shear and kill there but  cant carry a big sheep, or multiple efficiently

#16 2018-10-17 16:47:22

ShadouFireborn

pein wrote:

waste of free tile

I didn't realize that space is such a precious resource. Are we finally running out of room on server 1 then?

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#17 2018-10-18 05:17:34

pein

ShadouFireborn wrote:
pein wrote:

waste of free tile

I didn't realize that space is such a precious resource. Are we finally running out of room on server 1 then?

what is not needed is not needed, especially top down will just block you
maybe put a door there if want it stylish

Board footer