One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-10 23:25:36

Booklat1

Best update

Which do you think was the best update and why? Which was the worse?

#2 2018-10-10 23:34:43

happynova

Re: Best update

Without question, the best thing to happen to the game were the big farming and cooking updates.  (Yes, two updates, but it's really one major change in two parts.)  It's kind of hard, now, to even remember the bad old days when we ate nothing but carrots all the time.  But the game feels so much more varied and balanced and interesting now.  Not to mention the relief of not having to constantly worry about the entire town starving because somebody ate the seed carrots.  Players who have come in since then can have no conception of just how seriously people took the seed carrots back then.

#3 2018-10-10 23:48:45

Booklat1

yeah, I think I agree. they added some depth to the game. Back there i onlt watched gameplays but it was around that time that the game started looking neat to me. I liked bison update too though.

#4 2018-10-11 00:26:18

UnnoticedShadow

Without question, the apocalypse was the best update.

#5 2018-10-11 01:44:06

Anshin

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

Without question, the apocalypse was the WORST update.

FTFY tongue

Best update will be when zoom levels become standard. tongue tongue

#6 2018-10-11 02:44:17

SirCaio

I remember getting very excited about the "A Horse With No Name" update, I had a blast trying to tame my first horse and collecting tons of cactus fruit, so I guess this one was the best for me big_smile

#7 2018-10-11 02:55:26

Go! Bwah!

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

Without question, the apocalypse was the best update.

Agree.  The "too many puppies" update was #2.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#8 2018-10-11 04:08:18

InSpace

The burning crusade was the best

#9 2018-10-11 05:09:00

pein

berry update was the best
sheep feeding and composting became really easy, we could see big berry fields which wasn't really possible before

the last one is pretty shit removing teleports when they are very niche and hard to make and destroying graves and chests

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-10-11 08:12:22

Aurora Aurora

Definitely "Name that baby" It was really hard to tell people apart before it.

Last edited by Aurora Aurora (2018-10-11 08:12:46)

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#11 2018-10-11 08:36:49

voy178

The game "to date" is always the best version.

#12 2018-10-11 12:15:27

Baker

The Family Tree browser was one of my favorite things, Was cool to see how your kids did and what generation you were. I liked the wounds and medicine updates, You used to die instantly which was quite frustrating.

The worst was probably stuff like dogs which had no use and didn't really affect anything besides being a nuisance.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#13 2018-10-11 12:48:07

hmrka

I have this game for about two months now and...

I like the donkey town update because few people grief now, even the idiots on forum stopped making threads where they congratulate eachother for killing families.
Also cows and new skins are great, emotions too

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#14 2018-10-11 14:02:05

Morti

The Atomic Powered Update was/will be the best update.

Just got done watching Arrival for the first time and it reminded me of a quote by Isaac Asimov used in the movie The Light Years, better known as Gandahar around the world:

We speak of Time and Mind, which do not easily yield to categories.
We separate past and future and find that Time is an amalgam of both.
We separate good and evil and find that Mind is an amalgam of both.
To understand, we must grasp the whole.

P.S. The future is set. We just don't know it.

But if it is the last update from Jason, I won't be happy with it. I've quite enjoyed this work of yours, good sir.
I have to wonder what you will be working on, 2 years from now.

Just have to wonder.

--

The best so far though have been the ones with the most productive content; raw resources, recipes, products. If all you did for the next year was release 100 drawings, sounds, recipes a week, I could see myself playing this for a thousand more hours. I'd like a more resistant environment though. More obstacles that our towns have to work with at various stages of their development. Trees, big hard rocks, ponds, caves, mountains? Lakes? Radioactive tiles? Oil fields? Things that get in the way at first and are useless to very primitive civilizations, but in the end determine the longevity of well established ones, like the ponds and iron ore veins.

Once the landscape is scorched by our activity the barren canvas of biome tiles just, becomes, so disheartening. More obstacles that serve purposes through the stages until they are ultimately removed, would be nice.

Give the land more defenses from us. Give us, more challenges.

#15 2018-10-11 16:24:05

Tarr
Banned

Best update is probably something like name that baby where names stopped being rp only. Other candidates for best updates are stuff like food updates as before hand you basically only grew carrots and you had massive famines occur when a child would take from the seed row to stop from starving.

Death changing from instant to a delayed stagger was a pretty good change too. You just got an instant black screen whenever you were attacked whether by player/wolf/bear.

Worst updates are easily something like riches to rags and the apocalypse in general. This very much nearly killed the player base from 300 on at a time to what you see now in game. Another bad update in my opinion was when he changed the eve spawn algorithm as the world used to feel very much alive when you first started playing.

Eves would spawn so close to each other that you could actually hear baby cries in the wilderness. The world was gigantic but it never felt empty like it does today, you could just pick a direction and walk to find another families camp site. I remember leaving my home a few times in an attempt to find a fertile woman to bring home and finding other old/dying civs at the same time.

And of course lineage ban has to be on my list of worst updates added to the game. It used to feel incredibly special when you had your grandma/uncle/whoever start to say their goodbyes and next thing you knew you had a baby saying g/m/a. Even little villages could thrive because people would be reborn and could continue working towards a better future.

fug it’s Tarr.

#16 2018-10-12 00:58:49

Booklat1

SirCaio wrote:

I remember getting very excited about the "A Horse With No Name" update, I had a blast trying to tame my first horse and collecting tons of cactus fruit, so I guess this one was the best for me big_smile

yeah, I really wish we'd get another biome update, you know? so much can be changed about the game by adding something that's available right from the start like a biome. I just wish new biomes would have both late and early game resources. feels bad that grass has got most goodies.

also, we need more mechanics that enable reviving towns/savingn them from last girl crisis. I think bells would help if spawns were a tad bit closer. it IS possibe to find othr towns, just that you'll normally need a horse to do that, and then, why would you saerch a bigger town?
Maybe some rare landmarks would be neat as well, since people could gather around.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-10-12 01:02:03)

#17 2018-10-12 04:27:30

golmock

heal and new recipe! i like cooking

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

Board footer