One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-24 17:18:23

Booklat1

Biome Rebalance Ideas

I made this for reddit but am also posting here:

This is a compilation of ideas to make all biomes more interesting and some of them more viable for a base. Not all of the ideas are actually mine, most are things I got from other posts here and in the forums. All of these are supposed to be combined to give players more choices and playstyles and can be summarized in 3 ideas.

Before I start, TL DR: 1 current biomes slightly more viable. 2 new biomes with basic resources (water/food/soil). 3 Bigger and further away biomes

1 Current biomes are very straightforward and grass does almost everything. I understand grass is sort of an Eden and all biomes have to be characteristic, but would be nice if the game gave as more options such as cooking unbutchered seals, and mouflon in fires/spits, gave us more uses to limestone and salt in early cooking and also higher tech resources for dangerous biomes.

2 New biomes means more combinations. Currently every civilization ever needs grass and swamps for early to late game and badlands and savannah sporadically. Desert is great to have around but is not a must. If new biomes are added they should also have new alternatives for soil, water, early food and wood evn if less efficient/different in functionality. Maybe even more ways to shortly skip tool like skewers/hoe. Also more small animals with easy access food and late industry uses like fats/skins.

3 Bigger biomes. This idea has been floating around for a while. Biomes are pretty close, it's too easy to find the ones you need (even though you always need the exact same ones), there is little incentive to trade when most cities are alike. I don't even think they should be much bigger if more of them were added, that would already make up for them all being further, but even 2x or 1.5x bigger could make the game more realistic. Also helps that gatherers can survive a bit longer if food is found.

This post turned shorter than I imagined, so I hope it'll be more interesting to read.

#2 2018-09-24 23:22:22

pein

Re: Biome Rebalance Ideas

desert is a must, its 4 times better, al lyou gonna see is dead kids if you got no desert

now there are niche things i do if i ever get huge biomes
i made a rose pen in a big savannah cause i could gather 11-13? rose seeds
when the camp is cold and bones are abundant, and flat rocks, i make grave pens sometimes

now your only choice is a bowl or a pouch to start a farm
but you cant forge tools without bowls
i would love to have parallel tech
a new type of cacti which can be planted, would give water then dry out and you could make kindling from it
a new type of bowl/pouch like bone bowl? not from human bone, but like seal/bear/bison
eat any animal meat by cooking it on skewer
melt the ice and make water

oasis: this would be a small starting location inside a biome, with limited water and a desert spot, some food, eventually would run out and would be non renewable

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-09-25 23:29:43

Booklat1

pein wrote:

desert is a must, its 4 times better, al lyou gonna see is dead kids if you got no desert

Is it really? I don't eve much but I don't usually have much trouble keeping myself safe from cold even in cities without deserts.

someone suggested in the forums a plant that would work as a bowl sustitute. There are indeed jungle plants like that into ral life, some cn even be used to make underwear, this could definitely be a thing.

#4 2018-09-25 23:41:05

FounderOne

Booklat1 wrote:
pein wrote:

Is it really? I don't eve much but I don't usually have much trouble keeping myself safe from cold even in cities without deserts.

someone suggested in the forums a plant that would work as a bowl sustitute. There are indeed jungle plants like that into ral life, some cn even be used to make underwear, this could definitely be a thing.

There was a thread about temperature. It's an insane difference

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#5 2018-09-26 02:01:22

Booklat1

I'll look for it. I'm wondering if it only makes a difference for early civs.

Board footer