One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-25 06:10:19

Morti

Exploit to Murder Unhindered

The same "trick" that allows you to have "farming machines", allows you to shed the bloody markings after a kill, and with it the debuff that slows you down.

These needs to be fixed.

The way it works, if you don't know, with the farming machine you drop the carrots on the top corner of a fixed object like a hole or diamond shaped wall corner and the game tries to drop the object but since it can't drop it on the object, it sends it out to the nearest empty space. You'll see people making them for lazy carrot farms, but when a murderer tried to drop their knife (or, i'm guessing bow, only seen it done with knife) the knife AND the bloody debuff, are cast off and the person who just murdered is free to continue moving about.

Just saw this in a town with too many knives, one person murdered several people by going back and forth between the farming machine.

#2 2018-09-25 06:16:52

Morti

Re: Exploit to Murder Unhindered

Oh, also, I stabbed the person and they shed their wound as well.
So... yeah. Maybe you don't have to even be holding something for the wound to be cast off, and then, good as new.

It's a pretty lame bug. Almost as bad as the buttered knife.

#3 2018-09-25 06:20:04

Morti

It appears that they died from the wound after I stabbed them.

Me: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1148053

Them: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1148053

Thanks for letting me see you use the exploit, Dave Missel XV.

#4 2018-09-25 06:33:03

Tarr
Banned

Wounds are treated as a held item when you are stabbed (hence why stabbing someone force drops whatever item they're holding) and since teleporters dislodge any sort of held item you are able to cast off wounds.

I've known this sort of thing for a while and brought the subject up in my teleporter guide thread as another interesting quirk of the games system and how teleporters interact with different items.

Unfortunately, if someone is hoarding weapons it is a pretty big red flag as the ability to shrug off wounds (until the kill message puts them down) and the ability to force drop bloody weapons to get off cool down are pretty big issues.

This is just a big reminder on why it is important to spread knives amongst the people instead of letting one person have all the power.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-09-25 08:57:58

pein

truth to be told you stabbed me on cooldown for killing a kid calling me whore, so you deserved it

chain kills like this are kinda bad
stabbing a stabbed person should reset the cooldown, to pick up other weapon and retaliate on slow speed at least 30 sec

also stabbing someone who has weapon out should make his weapon useless, as it had intention to use it
same goes for healing someone should stop the cooldown on the other side, cause i often see griefers healed and they just go back and kill the one who stabbed them

so knowing/making a teleport for this, reaching it, isnt that op

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-09-25 09:12:46

Tarr
Banned

I don't think killing should make the weapon completely useless but should instead put it into a dull state. Blades need to be resharpened if used to stab and arrow wounds already require you to pick the arrow head off the body (if someone removed the arrow).

If someone is abusing a teleporter to stab multiple people it should be very clear when they're sharpening a bunch of blades at once. If the murder is justified taking an extra step to ensure the knife is usable again shouldn't be a problem at all.

Instead of dulling another persons weapon they just get an age-esque timer upon leaving an injured state where you cannot use a weapon for a minute or so. This way someone cannot just shuck off wounds and stab their attacker or be healed then return to catch their attacker on cooldown.

Or Jason could fix teleporters but they're such a fun quirk in the game.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-09-25 09:26:06

Morti

pein wrote:

truth to be told you stabbed me on cooldown for killing a kid calling me whore, so you deserved it

Wrong person pein.

I was far off screen when I heard the scream. I avoid clusters of people and so should you.
Just play the game and talk less and things will work out much better.

If you are standing around talking to people, you're not working and you're not helping anything.

You shouldn't resort to killing anyone for any words they say.
Shows how weak your mind is.

#8 2018-09-25 09:37:12

Morti

Tarr wrote:

Or Jason could fix teleporters...

Uh, yeah.

Keeping the Fruit Boot thing in the game was one thing, leaving this glitch in would be another.

This is supposed to be a simulation about rebuilding civilization and raising a family in the process, not a bug collection.

#9 2018-09-25 10:26:51

pein

i played with you and i know how weak your mind is, you cried for a backpack, and acted all holy but you still gave up before i made the town viable

truth is i didnt cared for that town, and the only reason i stayed was to kill rosail, a spoiled rat girl  a life before convinced my mother to starve me cause shes butthurt about an apron

worked out as i wanted
i was getting away with stabbing her, and honestly when i stuffed 3 knifes in my pack, was  meant to happen exactly like this

its not the name calling, things happen and or they let it go, or you kill them, the other option is you get stabbed 40 years later
i dont make drama, i solve issues if communication wont work
as they should of killed me on that moment i had picked up 3 knifes, guess i wouldnt of killed 2 more if i wasnt prepared for it to happen

after a few eve run/dave town/eve run/dave town combos aint really had mood to live too much in a baby gearer crown rp town where everyone is dave and nothing is working

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-09-25 11:59:41

Morti

pein wrote:

truth is i didnt cared for that town

Then don't play there.

Why would you play somewhere you don't want to be?

If people want to have fun, naming all their kids Dave or James, don't ruin it for them, go make your own town.

And don't complain about things people do and then do them yourself, like making a backpack from furs you didn't collect. I read your post just the day before that happened, crying about kids making backpacks from your furs after you went through all the trouble of gathering them, and then you go and do it the very next day?

Have some fortitude.

Stop trying to make this game a competition.

You're turning away people the rest of us actually enjoy playing with. Just read the negative reviews and most of them are in regards to the actions you are perpetrating.

And stop using the word griefer to describe everyone that isn't perfect. Let new players learn at their own pace, and if it's costs us a town because they ate too much food, it's okay, there'll be more. Just relax. Nothing is at stake here. Not really.

I'm willing to bet the person that called you a whore didn't do so unprovoked. Like you said, you weren't happy there. All it takes is for other people to be having fun and you get unhappy. What does that say about you? What are you letting it say about you?

Your knowledge is needed in early stage settlements. That is where you are most valued. If you're not happy supporting 20 'sponging' Dave's and their mothers, play where you're needed; emerging from the arms of an Eve. Laying the foundation for the next Dave Town.

>_<

#11 2018-09-25 20:13:17

helloworld

looool, I tried the teleport trick for killing. Got a bald guy to be my test subject. hi bald guy if your reading this. Also got a curse point, but thats cool. bald guy died though cause he threw the wound away and made it impossible to heal him rip.

#12 2018-09-25 20:31:08

Turnipseed

Morti i played a life with pein last week, and it was one of the most fun lives ive had in a long time. We were born to a noob eve mom made a whole set of steel tools enough food to feed everyone and made a sheep pen. Pein also made 4+ packs, brought iron, hauled soil, and generally busted ass.

Most skilled players that go haywire have a good reason.

If pein kills someone its cause someone was doing something wrong. Not cause hes just griefing

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#13 2018-09-25 20:31:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I still haven't actually looked into teleporters, believe it or not.  Been so focused on content updates and other things that I must admit that I don't even now how they work.  I mean, I know that if the area is crowded, you can't set something down, and the engine tries to find the best, closest place to allow you to set something down (to prevent you from getting trapped with something in your hand, when you can't even open a door to get out or whatever).

But I'm not sure why that should allow you to divest of something PERMANENT that you're holding, like a wound or whatever.

#14 2018-09-25 20:40:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, here's what's going on here....

In the old days, you could only walk NSEW, not diagonal.  So if you had walls NSEW, you were surrounded.  If you had something in your hand and tried to click on a door (for example), it would auto-drop what you were holding to free your hands and increase your chance of escape.

That bit of code was never revisited, and the teleporter exploits it, because you actually are NOT blocked in, even though there are walls NSEW of you, because now you can walk through diagonal gaps.  That old bit of code is still thinking that you're surrounded, though.

And regardless, it shouldn't ever force-drop permanent objects (like wounds).  Back when that code was written, there were no permanent objects like that.

#15 2018-09-25 20:55:39

Turnipseed

Is there a way for this to work in a larger room where your trapped? I have starved cause someone closed a door on me in a full room, and i couldn't use the door

Edit: i know this isn't the point, but as long as your looking into it....

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-09-25 20:56:28)

#16 2018-09-25 21:07:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fixed.  No more teleporters... sorry folks!

Turnip, you're right about that.... hmmm....  This is, unfortunately, a hard case to test for in general.

This could (and should) obviously happen with locks.

With regular doors, it's kinda silly.  But I do like the aesthetic of setting down what you're holding to open a door, so I'm hesitant to change it.

#17 2018-09-25 22:27:14

Turnipseed

jasonrohrer wrote:

Turnip, you're right about that.... hmmm....  This is, unfortunately, a hard case to test for in general.

This could (and should) obviously happen with locks.

With regular doors, it's kinda silly.  But I do like the aesthetic of setting down what you're holding to open a door, so I'm hesitant to change it.

I feel ya it only happens rarely anyway. Its easy to avoid with minimal diligence... but whats this about no pit pens...

#18 2018-09-25 22:39:26

Auner

jasonrohrer wrote:

But i loved throwing my younger siblings in the trash pit and having them teleport and freak out other villagers. They would come at me laughing wanting another throw.

Mama was like "STOP THROWING YOUR SISTER IN THE TRASH"

sad RIP teleport

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#19 2018-09-25 22:59:51

pein

nah, i told back then and still didnt changed, if you want something make it, if you leave fur in middle of the city dont complain that someone who is born there takes one set for himself
back in the days when i started i made 9 backpacks in one single life when people barely seen 1-2 of them in a general life
if i want one for myself, i make it outside the village and take bake the ones i dont need

as i said i had someone i owed one

dont try to over analyze a game, where i started as a pretty vocal troublemaker
at 8 i had my first kill and only had one witness baby who was easily swayed into neutral

at 9 i had 3 knifes, and i could of had a 4th just didnt wanted to blow my cover that i can pick it up already
one of the goal was getting killed so i wont come back there again
and if someone gives a reason to get stabbed, i will stab it
i used up all my weapons for the triple kill, and went out with grace, i can talk myself out of it if i want to or i can grief the town, or i can take several people down without risking curse or witnesses, i did none of that

every conflict needs 2 people
so if its a zero sum game then accept the negative result too
i do in reverse situation, and i seen pretty fucked up people who hold grudge 40 minutes later for something like picking up a backpack from the ground before them
if under community you mean selfish assholes who leech every game and complain about getting punished for it, we are better off without them

most of my lifes are chill, everything works fine, every time i get back those cities are flourishing, then comes the lineage ban and i end up in dumps
i was playing every life yesterday, eve kid, doing all the work, decayed towns, the town where lineage killers ran around, the ones with griefers, the gen 3-4 camps, in morning i just scrobble around to find one camp i lived before, not looking for eve runs or nab dave towns

i often play as triplet/quad nowadays and between us im the most chill, im like just warning and my squad kinda always want to stab someone every life, and ends up as a clown fiesta cause people live for the drama
you know that the quad patrols see everybody in action and we end up with like 5-6 good players and a few tryhard newbies? the rest are stab happy people who try to abuse and bully but they dont have the skill for it

i dont determine myself based on feelings, im not a little girl playing club penguin
i got rules, im more than fair, and if you try to oppose than accept consequences. the eagle wont eat flies, the bunch of rp sponges who live off others and 'have fun' on expense of others fun or others hard work, then cry and curse when people dont let them exploit everything they worked for, in my eyes those people kinda got the same amount of votes as their work  value, and i dont know what you moan about, most of hardcore people got more strict rules than me

#20 2018-09-25 23:06:00

Tarr
Banned

Auner wrote:

But i loved throwing my younger siblings in the trash pit and having them teleport and freak out other villagers. They would come at me laughing wanting another throw.

Mama was like "STOP THROWING YOUR SISTER IN THE TRASH"

sad RIP teleport

It's okay I think I already found a fix around this. tongue

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer