One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-25 04:53:42

Tarr
Banned

Quick clothing guide in bad biomes

We've all seen these eve camps or something like them. A poorly places eve camp that is generally too cold to keep a steady population of players up and running. Your only choices are to either leave, suicide, or stick to a rather rough life so what can we do if we're going to stay with this family?

Clothes. I see naked people constantly running around in these hellholes and I weep for how much harder they are making the game on themselves and their children. In about a thirty minute period I was able to produce 7 mouflon hides/7 reed skirts/1 hat all by running in the wilds and returning to a camp piece by piece in the case of hides or baskets of rope for skirts. Obviously this wasn't optimal at all as I was skipping hats in favor of skirts.

Chest pieces: Your overall best choice for most people is going to be mouflon hide at 21% insulation compared to sealskin/sheepskin (10.5%), Rabbit fur shawl (24.5%) Wool sweater (24.5%), Rabbit fur coat (29.5%) Sealskin Vest (31.5%). The reason to go with mouflon skin is to save your milkweed for your hat/pants/shoes you're going to pass around to your other family members.  Obviously if you have plentiful milkweed/seals pass out vests but mouflon hides do not decay. Your rabbit fur items in this category are better off used for other pieces of gear or backpacks. Wool is almost never worth making unless rabbits are very scarce or all your fields are ruined. The only time you will be making a wool sweater is for an apron or fashion.

Pants: Basically at all times you should just be producing rabbit fur loincloths (17%) instead of reed skirts (12%). Pants will have to be replaced in the long run but at the cheap cost of one fur + one thread vs one reed bundle + one rope the downside of replacement every five hours isn't that big of a deal.

Hats: Hats are pretty important when it comes to keeping yourself warm turns out. Even I was ignorant to the fact of the insulation of hats and I've got over 900 hours into this game. When comparing our hat selection we have the straw hat (16.25%), the wool hat (17.5%), the rabbit fur hat (21.25%) and the wolf hat (22.5%). I would recommend either going for the straw hat or wolf hat skipping over rabbit fur hats as straw hats will never decay and wolf hats have a lower fur cost than making rabbit hats which have more value as pants or shoes. Yet again wool clothing is best avoided unless you are attempting to prolong item decay with dyes (but who are we kidding, how often is dyeing clothes for anything other than fashion?)

Shoes (omg shoes): Shoes  are pretty simple when it comes to what you're going to make when it comes to numbers/ease. At the very bottom we have snakeskin boots (5%), wool booty (6%) rabbit fur shoe (8.5%). Basically the correct choice is almost always going to be the rabbit fur shoe as one fur is producing enough for a pair of shoes which are just as good as having a pair of pants on. Snakeskin is fine if you aren't trapping or want some fruit boots. Wool booty comes in for fashion tier aka a waste of resources.

Early game setup: Straw hat (16.25%), mouflon hide (21%), rabbit fur loincloth (17%) rabbit fur shoes (17%) - Total cost 1x straw, 2x rabbit fur, 4x thread. Priority is hide > hat > pants > shoes. The hat will beat out the pants in the sense with the hide you will be able to continue to pass this down each generation. Skimp out on shoes to bring your total cost down to 1x straw, 1x rabbit fur, 2x thread.

So a simple quick version

Hats: Wolf hat > Straw hat > Rabbit fur hat > Wool hat
Chest: Sealskin vest > Mouflon hide > Rabbit fur coat > Rabbit coat shawl > Sheepskin/sealskin (ranking hide higher for ease of use + ability to keep until lineage end)
Pants: Rabbit fur loincloth > Reed skirt ( Need lineage to last >10 hours before skirt is superior to just making 2x loincloth)
Shoes: Rabbit fur shoe > Snakeskin boot > Wool booty

Ended up skipping rag gear as this is stuff that needs replaced within the next 30 minutes before it disappears.

Only once you've hit late game would I start recommend making rabbit fur coats/shawls or rabbit hats. Until then either keep to the nondegradables or the bis gear until it becomes too scarce to reliably bring back to camp.

Also forgot to mention: By the time you have sheep you should be skipping using milkweed for clothes and instead be using a needle + ball of thread. Each needle and ball of thread has six uses which afterwards leaves you with a needle + thread.

EDIT: Thread and needle unable to cure bite wounds without padding first. This ended up getting patched out when bears stopped handing out invisible bite wounds.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-12-12 17:37:05)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2018-09-25 05:09:59

Booklat1

Re: Quick clothing guide in bad biomes

nice post, but i'd like to raise more awareness on the fact skins do not decay. it's pretty easy to mass produce sheep skins and with enough effort every town could have cheap non-degradable clothing for everyone. Sheep skins are the ideal baby/kid clothing because of that (even though its insulation is lacking.

it really doesn't hurt to have a bunch of skins laying around.

#3 2018-09-25 05:18:51

Tarr
Banned

Yeah you are definitely right. Skins are a very easy minor temperature increase. I should have went a little further in detail on a later stage camp but basically I've been seeing a lot of bad camp positioning and was trying to write a quick guide idea on quick fix ideas.

In late game/composting stage it is probably best to make sheep skins rather than just making wool clothes to give everyone in the village a simple chest piece of gear.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2018-09-25 06:31:50

Morti

I'm ok being naked. Just give me a backpack and a desert corner or a nice roaring fire to start my long journeys from and it's 22 second food meter pips all day.

Besides, it's too hard to balance temp when clothed. Harder to find spots either on; very small patches of desert, very thin peninsulas of desert, or inside a C shape of desert tiles, where the sum of heat from all tiles + the warmth provided by clothes, hit a perfect balance.

Earlier today I was gathering rabbits fully clothed and it was nice to not have to run so much to cut down o the food I was consuming, but wherever I work I'm always scouting out renewable food like wild berry bushes and cacti. That way I'm not taking any food or plates from the people who never leave town.

#5 2018-09-25 14:55:52

Ifeanyichukwu

Thank you for this guide. I've seen many Eve camps in less than optimal positions lately, and this saves me the trouble of looking for a better place (and trying to convince others to come with me).

#6 2018-09-25 19:20:35

I am Pharo

Thanks for another dope guide.

Hats: Wolf hat > Straw hat > Rabbit fur hat > Wool hat
Chest: Sealskin vest > Mouflon hide > Rabbit fur coat > Rabbit coat shawl > Sheepskin/sealskin (ranking hide higher for ease of use + ability to keep until lineage end)
Pants: Rabbit fur loincloth > Reed skirt ( Need lineage to last >10 hours before skirt is superior to just making 2x loincloth)
Shoes: Rabbit fur shoe > Snakeskin boot > Wool booty

#7 2018-09-26 00:21:16

pein

its a lot of milkweed to make them all

yesterday a guy made a loin cloth when i would of needed one more fur to make a pack
in the end i couldnt so i went 2 trips to get sheep, first i shot it, then i couldnt find in time so i starved

getting sheep is priority, so 2 ropes and a thread should be available right off the bat after getting basic tools like axe and shovel
so you can make bow, arrow and a rope for lamb

after you got sheep, and make compost, the berry, wheat and the carrot is actually free, yeah it needs to be planted and managed, but you get fleece, i often make a huge wheat field so i can afford to make 8-12 straw hats
so even if its colder, designer wool clothes are good, only you cannot have pants and pack from it and shoes are kinda expensive
lot of people prefer wool shirt instead of aprons, and chef hat is expensive too

its a process of renewable materials, and compost keeps the lineage going
it all starts with milkweed farm

honestly i seen too many cold camps and moving to desert always better than making clothes, so clothing wont replace the relocation, but surely makes it easier

so wool clothes are high tech but can be made pretty fast, while rabbit needs the timer to reset so making fur clothes for yourself denies from others
so loin cloth and packs are the only thing you should use your furs

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-09-26 00:29:53

Tarr
Banned

Yeah this is less a guide for older players as it is a guide more for trying to help newer and groups of players. Clothing will never truly replace a great biome but having some basic idea of what you should be making helps.

Even though mass producing clothes costs a lot of early milkweed I was able to walk around and collect seven rope for reed skirts (which should have been used for loincloths/hats instead of skirts) and hand out plenty of mouflon hides to people in a cold village.

It's not hard to produce multiple sets of nondegrading clothes in a poorly placed early gen camp which will help each generation after the first be a bit more productive than the last.

Obviously the idea isn't "Okay make everyone this, this and this" more so the idea is what you can make to help out everyone besides the basic water bushes/blacksmith/etc.

But yeah, this isn't a guide targeted for someone like you or Morti, more so at people who don't realize they actively need to be seeking clothes if living in a bad climate.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2018-09-30 12:47:51

betame

100% agree with your analysis.

Wanted to add that to warm yourself to desert level with clothes in the green/blue, you'll need a total insulation of 67.3%. Happy to see the cheap early game options provide a set with 71.25%!
Changed, see Temperature Mechanics

Last edited by betame (2019-02-01 04:11:11)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#10 2018-10-05 05:18:30

FeverDog

This is missing a key point that changed my game regarding clothes.  For the longest time I had no idea you could get thread from sheep.  I always assumed it was milkweed only. 

So, for the new people, fleece from shorn sheep plus drop spindle equals a ball of thread you can add to the bone needle for multiple use sewing.

#11 2018-10-05 05:56:24

Booklat1

FeverDog wrote:

This is missing a key point that changed my game regarding clothes.  For the longest time I had no idea you could get thread from sheep.  I always assumed it was milkweed only. 

So, for the new people, fleece from shorn sheep plus drop spindle equals a ball of thread you can add to the bone needle for multiple use sewing.

yeah, don't get thread from weed at all after city has  heep

#12 2018-10-05 06:52:20

Tarr
Banned

Yeah I've added that now, as the title says this was just a real quick thread to explain the various different types of clothing and what insulation each gives. With temp walking being fixed this week it might actually be somewhat useful to have this around.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2018-12-12 07:17:07

Tarr
Banned

For anyone that cared 43.5% insulation is about what you need to be around perfect when in full jungle. (Might be just the tiniest smidge over but that's hard to see when you get that close to center.)

So what clothing options hit around the 43% mark?

Wolf hat + Mouflon hide (renewable hat when wolf farming + nondecaying top) = 43.5%
Reed skirt + Seal skin coat (nondecaying pants + nonrenewable top) = 43.5%
Snakeskin boot (x2) + Reed skirt + Mouflon hide (nonrenewable shoes + nondecaying top/pants) = 43%
Wolf Hat + Reed skirt + Rabbit shoe(x1) (renewable hat + nondecaying pants + renewable shoe) = 43%
Straw Hat + Rabbit loincloth + Snakeskin boots (x2) (Nondecaying hat, renewable pants, nonrenewable shoes) = 43.25%

Likely still more combos but this was just to list a few quick combos. Your best bet is something like mouflon hide + wolf hat as mouflon hides are easy to get and wolves (not bred by people) are also easy to collect. For bigger/advanced towns you'd be better farming your own wolves in an empty area near town.

Also note: 43%~ insulation will take you to max temp in a neutral biome so don't go touching bugs.

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2018-12-12 07:23:32

lionon

Tarr wrote:

Also note: 43%~ insulation will take you to max temp in a neutral biome so don't go touching bugs.

This is the issue with wearing clothes in the jungle. They become a death trap when touching a mosquito.

PS: Not only in the jungle, since mosquitoes can be hiding everywhere due to "hidden mini jungle biomes"

#15 2018-12-12 12:13:29

Jadelink

Do remember though, if you start in my favourite sort of camp, or you do jungle clearing work (all of my last 60 year male lifetime) naked is by far better, due to the risk of fever.

I cant fathom though why we don't get more starts with nursery areas and berry farms on jungle terrain for perfect temperature of naked children and jungle foragers.

#16 2018-12-12 15:41:59

WomanWizard

Tarr wrote:

(needle and thread is able to cure bite wounds without requiring pads HOWEVER this only works for the needle and thread not the ball of thread + needle.)

How did I not know this? Somebody explain to me how I didn't know this.

#17 2018-12-12 16:02:44

betame

Tarr wrote:

...43.5% insulation is about what you need to be around perfect when in full jungle...

Cool, this is close to numbers that I thought.

I'm interested in your testing methods - identical results from multiple players helps us strengthen the facts. How did you set up the situations and how did you measure?

Last edited by betame (2018-12-12 16:03:43)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#18 2018-12-12 17:35:26

Tarr
Banned

WomanWizard wrote:
Tarr wrote:

(needle and thread is able to cure bite wounds without requiring pads HOWEVER this only works for the needle and thread not the ball of thread + needle.)

How did I not know this? Somebody explain to me how I didn't know this.

This used to be a thing a while ago. Basically Jason didn't add a transition to healing so just having the thread + needle made it so you could skip using pads (required six uses of the ball of thread or using two milkweed to produce a single thread.) I'll have to remove that as it's no longer in game.

betame wrote:
Tarr wrote:

...43.5% insulation is about what you need to be around perfect when in full jungle...

Cool, this is close to numbers that I thought.

I'm interested in your testing methods - identical results from multiple players helps us strengthen the facts. How did you set up the situations and how did you measure?

Testing was mostly a game of mixing and matching items in a pure jungle environment until I could find a value as close as center without starting to go over the middle line. In a pure jungle biome perfect temp ranges between 43.5% as perfect and <48.5% with the lower threshold just being what I based my outfits on without making every single piece of clothing to try to hit there 45%,46%, just to be certain. So yeah it potentially could be just a smidge higher than 43.5% but it's lower than 48.5% for certain.

Edit: 46.5% is too hot. So right now the value of perfect lays between 43.5% - 46%

Jadelink wrote:

Do remember though, if you start in my favourite sort of camp, or you do jungle clearing work (all of my last 60 year male lifetime) naked is by far better, due to the risk of fever.

I cant fathom though why we don't get more starts with nursery areas and berry farms on jungle terrain for perfect temperature of naked children and jungle foragers.

Generally speaking the jungle area in a town isn't crawling with mosquitoes so knowing what clothes you can wear helps both in the jungle (more food saved) and when outside (warmer in neutral biomes is always a good thing).

Since most clothing options I listed either come with nondecayables and renewable choices item loss is a little less harmful as items are easily replaced.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-12-12 22:27:18)

fug it’s Tarr.

#19 2018-12-12 19:19:01

WomanWizard

Tarr wrote:

This used to be a thing a while ago. Basically Jason didn't add a transition to healing so just having the thread + needle made it so you could skip using pads (required six uses of the ball of thread or using two milkweed to produce a single thread.) I'll have to remove that as it's no longer in game.

Aw, I was really hoping that wasn't going to be outdated information, but it did seem like an oversight so it makes sense. Would have made Eve runs a lot easier though.

Board footer