One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-17 23:39:38

UnnoticedShadow

Make Goose Berries not so Yummy.

Goose berries in real life are rather sour berries, most of the time.  They also do not provide the nutrients to live off of, much less only eat for a whole lifetime.  They are also great for the yum chain, as eating one than one in a bowl brings you up to 2 yum!  However, because of this power, many villages have lived with MASSIVE berry farms, eating almost nothing but them. 
      I suggest berries, and bowl berries are made as an eternal "meh" food, meaning they do not work, and break all yum chains. So while they are good early-game, they will be less useful later-game, and not be as commonly used.

Perhaps as generations go by there food quality increases, causing gooseberries to become "yuck" foods if eaten too many times, which are like meh, but restore even less food.  I think a food system like this varying with food would help ohol develop variety in many ways.

#2 2018-09-18 00:06:31

Jk Howling

Re: Make Goose Berries not so Yummy.

Barely anyone uses the yum mechanic, and most certainly not the majority of players who tend to eat berries throughout their lives. Making them eternally meh will do literally nothing to deter anyone but the very few hardcore players who consistently use the yum factor- and they're obviously not the problem, are they?

Hell even most of the 'best' players here don't tend to use the yum factor that often, at least that I've noticed in gameplay with them. Most usually just carry mutton pies in their backpacks, or stick with stew/sauerkraut/whatnot throughout their entire lives.

I'm not sure making them 'yuck' foods will help a whole lot either. Most likely, I'd imagine a lot of the players that eat berries throughout their lives would simply eat more to satiate their hunger.

Keep in mind, most of those that just eat berries simply are new and haven't been corrected. They're the main food of the tutorial, easy to spot, and plentiful in most towns- of course they'll go for the berries initially. How often do people take the time to point them towards other food and explain that its better? I've never encountered someone purposely eating berries into their adulthood when they know of better food sources, at least that I know of. Then again, I've never really asked them why they're just eating berries.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-18 00:09:34)

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-09-18 01:45:28

UnnoticedShadow

I use the yum bonus almost All the time, but I guess other people don't:(    Anyways, the yum system should be reworked to be a more crucial part of the game, as it would encourage variety (pork tacos) and add to lategame difficulty, with people working towards "better" foods.

#4 2018-09-18 02:13:48

Nopik

I spent a whole life collecting and baking different foods to try out the yum bonus and ate all the foods in my next life. I got up to a yum bonus of+13, but it MADE NO DIFFERENCE to my hunger level or how fast my hunger went down or how many pips I had. What did I do wrong? I must be misunderstanding something.

#5 2018-09-18 02:48:30

Anshin

Nuts.

Nuts are far more nutritious than berries.

I propose hazelnuts ... and chocolate. cool

#6 2018-09-18 03:44:53

VioletLily

Nopik wrote:

I spent a whole life collecting and baking different foods to try out the yum bonus and ate all the foods in my next life. I got up to a yum bonus of+13, but it MADE NO DIFFERENCE to my hunger level or how fast my hunger went down or how many pips I had. What did I do wrong? I must be misunderstanding something.

That's odd... I've always seen a very big difference in how much slower my hunger level decreases when I get my yum bonus that high. In fact, even +6 or 7 makes a big difference for me. Whenever I get over 10, I only need to eat very rarely. Were you standing in a bad temp spot?

#7 2018-09-18 04:14:02

Turnipseed

Anshin wrote:

Nuts.

If you add both nutella is required

Also you can eat acorns after leeching them in water...

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-09-18 04:14:50)

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#8 2018-09-18 04:18:31

desertsyd

It comes down to space,
do a gathering run, are going to take a variety of consumables to get/maintain yum bonus.
or
the densest consumable that only takes one storage slot?
in a perfect whole, I would take
- cactus fruit
- baked potato
- roast mutton
- cooked rabbit
example, once consumed, a storage slot is freed up and I don't have to cart an empty plate back to town or add to the expanding 'wild plate population'
but rarely is such a variety available in a town, so a pie it is.

Last edited by desertsyd (2018-09-18 04:19:04)

#9 2018-09-18 04:48:21

Turnipseed

Potatos are my favorite travel food, but the are prohibitively expensive. Alot of times i use cooked mutton as there is often enormous amounts of raw stuff laying aroun town, and no plates. Cooking it has gotten me stabbed by bakers more than once though

#10 2018-09-18 13:29:37

Anshin

Turnipseed wrote:
Anshin wrote:

Nuts.

If you add both nutella is required

Also you can eat acorns after leeching them in water...

I was hoping for nutella smile

Acorns are a great idea! I'd like to see squirrels be a cute pest you have to scare off or they eat your crop.

Some consider the chestnut the most useful tree in the world:
http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/sto … -Tree.aspx

Others say it's the Moringa, AKA: Drumstick tree:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 082804.htm

#11 2018-09-18 13:48:40

Joriom
Website

Nopik wrote:

Yum bonus does not decrease the speed at which you get hungry nor does it allow you to store more pips. All it does it increases ammount of hunger restored by each new food type you eat.

For example food that restored 4 pips without yum bonus will restore 4. The same food with yum bonus of 5 on you will restore 9.

Smart people that expect to be traveling soon might reset their yum bonus and build it up again on man-made food (that can't be found in the wild) and take some "complex" food that restore a lot of pips into their backpacks. When they already have high yum bonus and they've emptied their backpack they can still live way longer while traveling. Eating randomly found food like a berry, burdock or cactus fruit that would not restore much pips without yum can fill you up now. Sadly - many times its just better to eat all those 5 berries from a single bush than preverve your yum bonus hoping to find something you havent eaten yet. It also takes a lot of goundwork for it to be worth it.

Other use of yum bonus is to reduce the ammount of food needed by diversifying your food production - thus, the more kinds of food you have, the less you need to actually produce, or the more people you can sustain with it. This assumes that your population knows how to use this system though. Imagine having 4 plant based foods that resotre 4 pips each. Thats 16 total. If those would be 4 different plants, even if they still restored 4 pips each it would now become 4+5+6+7 = 22 pips.
Sadly, when provided with different foods, most people will first eat out one type, then the second, third and finally fourth - not all of them in equal ammounts to preserve yum.

VioletLily wrote:

That's odd... I've always seen a very big difference in how much slower my hunger level decreases when I get my yum bonus that high. In fact, even +6 or 7 makes a big difference for me. Whenever I get over 10, I only need to eat very rarely. Were you standing in a bad temp spot?

Your observation is correct - you don't need to eat as often. Your deduction is flawed though. Its not because you get hungry "slower" per say. Its because you restore more, so even with the same hunger speed, it takes longer to get low.

#12 2018-09-18 14:33:28

Falsewall

Joriom wrote:

Yum bonus does not decrease the speed at which you get hungry nor does it allow you to store more pips. All it does it increases ammount of hunger restored by each new food type you eat.

It does give extra pips to an invisible pip bar represented as "+bonus number". This is separate from the HUD element showing your yum chain.

You never noticed the +bonus number ticking down?

Last edited by Falsewall (2018-09-18 15:01:30)

#13 2018-09-18 14:57:05

VioletLily

Falsewall wrote:
Joriom wrote:

it does it increases ammount of hunger restored by each new food type you eat.

It does give extra pips to an invisible pip bar represented as "+bonus number". This is separate from the HUD element showing your yum chain.

This is actually what I meant by the hunger bar decreasing slower. It adds extra invisable pips to the bar (represented by +#), so the visable bar stays full for longer and doesn't start visably decreasing for a while. I guess I could have worded it better. My bad.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-18 14:58:17)

#14 2018-09-18 16:48:24

Joriom
Website

Falsewall wrote:

How could I notice that if I haven't played with official client for 4 months now? tongue

#15 2018-09-18 17:15:55

Turnipseed

Joriom wrote:
Falsewall wrote:

How could I notice that if I haven't played with official client for 4 months now? tongue

Lol dat hardcore misinformation

#16 2018-09-18 19:47:27

Falsewall

Joriom wrote:
Falsewall wrote:

By unofficial client do you mean your zoom client or modded with extra content like 2hour1L(I haven't tried this.  I am guessing development branches from an older version )?

Last edited by Falsewall (2018-09-18 19:52:10)

#17 2018-09-19 06:26:38

Joriom
Website

Falsewall wrote:

By unofficial client do you mean your zoom client or modded with extra content like 2hour1L(I haven't tried this.  I am guessing development branches from an older version )?

Neighter of those. I would still consider zoomed client to be official-like as it does not modify any aspect of gameplay itself while 2HOL is not "unofficial client" rather than its own game at this point.

I'm talking about this:
unknown.png
(this is how Santan "looks" like in debug mode btw)

Board footer