One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-14 19:38:22

FounderOne

Rails

Rails are a great addition to the game. I just dont see them getting build - even in really advanced civs. The amount of work needed compared to getting a horse is just crazy.

I tried in several towns to make a track. The first tries I just gathered iron, never even got close to making a rail, then I spawned in a civ that had lots of iron that I gathered before, so I started smithing. It took me a good time just to make some blades, since blades are quite far at the end of the line. In the process of smithing someone said I was making knifes, so a lady came and just stabbed me.

So can we maybe make 3 rails with one kit? Or any other suggestions?

lone.png
Last game I just gathered some iron. I took me a whole life to get the horse, the baskets and the iron. The civ was quite advanced. When I returned to stack the iron only two males were left. I was so sad haha big_smile

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#2 2018-09-14 20:36:39

arkajalka

Re: Rails

I know the feeling. Been trying to build rails in many of the big towns.

Every time the local towns folk go nuts or require you to do thousand axes and other useless tools that the civ already posesses. Or they give up on the idea cause "rails are so easy to grieff".

People get so easily triggered in this game and just grieff you to death. You dont really have time to focus on teenagers with neglecting parrents in irl when trying to forge a true transport railway system rather than a mutton track to sheep pen.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2018-09-14 23:10:27

Booklat1

do you think we NEED rails though? best use I could see is to transport buckets. Mutton doesn't really need to be carried far, you can just build an oven near pen. Maybe from a big savannah a railroad could be helpful too, carrying bags or rabbits. I just don't see a need to repeatedly carry huge amounts of anything as a railroad system would imply

#4 2018-09-14 23:15:27

FounderOne

There is always transportation needed, maybe a hugh field of cactee, more ponds, rabbits, outposts generally, branches. It would be nice to just get to the spot load stuff in, send the cart home and get it empty back. Much easier then walking back and furth.

Sure, at the moment the effort is not worth it. A horse will do a better job, even walking with a backpack and basket is better then building a long railsystem.

#5 2018-09-14 23:23:16

Booklat1

but what would you carry in such huge quantities? You can already carry A LOT with horses. Rails take more coordination, but make the process faster and easier in the long run, i don't question that, but how much water do you intend to transport? or how much fruit? Even all the iron in the picture of this thread could be carried easily from one point to another with a horse. If it came from more than one pit then a horse would fare even better.

I don't think there's anything that needs to be carried in such huge volumes yet. in fact i don't think there is anything that is produced at such a large quantity.

#6 2018-09-15 01:18:30

FounderOne

Well like I said Branches, water, rabbits, wood,.... supply from outposts.

So the goal would be to have a center town that gets resources from its outposts or towns that trade. Since Iron etc will be further away from the center town. You get the iron to the outpost then back to the center town. When the outpost got no more resources you make the rail further and open the next outpost.

Since it's to expansive right now for those tasks we need to reduce the work effort or increase the benefits otherwise there won't be a use to a railsystem.

#7 2018-09-15 01:25:50

Tarr
Banned

Between rails being incredibly easy to grief, a bug that allows you to delete your track + derail the cart, and not many things being close to infinite there's no real reason to make them.

If you could manage to get the cart off in one piece I could see the potential in having a track move around based off need at least.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-09-15 01:56:53

FounderOne

A neat thing would be - if you add a railkit to a station kit you get a minerail. You place the minerail over the mine entrance and you can send the cart in. The cart goes in and comes back fully loaded with iron.

The amount of iron you can then get out of the mine is pretty big, so it would make sense in some cases to build a track from the mine to the city.

Or recharging mines, so you would build a rail and get over time x iron out if it and after a while it recharges. So a steady track to all mines around would make sense on the long run.

Also connecting Waggons to a formation of three wagons would be nice. So you could send three Waggons on the way. (maybe it works already?)

Also a big Waggon to carry stones would be neat. So you could lay four dug stones on the big Waggon or even two loaded carts.

Rails should not be removable just with 2 persons and a time consuming process. Small Items can be placed on the track, just not big objects. So you could not grief a town badly with it.

Still one railkit should give you three rails.

Last edited by FounderOne (2018-09-15 02:00:36)

#9 2018-09-15 04:06:39

SomeRandomPerson

Problem is that they are too slow, slower then a person with a cart. You can build a road to go even fsster.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-15 04:09:14)

#10 2018-09-15 13:38:34

arkajalka

another problem when trying to build rails is that is so easy to miss click an existing rail and do a crossroad by accident.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#11 2018-09-15 14:31:54

Redram

Ya, implementing such a useless system before his vacation was pretty bad planning on Jason's part.  But now that he's back he's not even doing anything to improve them.  Apparently Jason's never played minecraft because it's a prime example of why useful railcarts are extremely difficult to implement well in this sort of game.  The only way they're going to become useful is when we get a tier 2 mine, which outputs large lumps of iron/stone/whatever, that the player can only carry extremely slowly - like boulders, but slower.   They won't fit in carts.   This makes minecarts then required to continue to have iron, and move into more steel intensive technology.  Similarly slow to move constructs and tools like drill presses and punches might help a bit, if you need to move them in town.  But high tier mine extraction is the main thing.

#12 2018-09-15 17:27:57

Booklat1

Redram wrote:

Ya, implementing such a useless system before his vacation was pretty bad planning on Jason's part.  But now that he's back he's not even doing anything to improve them.  Apparently Jason's never played minecraft because it's a prime example of why useful railcarts are extremely difficult to implement well in this sort of game.  The only way they're going to become useful is when we get a tier 2 mine, which outputs large lumps of iron/stone/whatever, that the player can only carry extremely slowly - like boulders, but slower.   They won't fit in carts.   This makes minecarts then required to continue to have iron, and move into more steel intensive technology.  Similarly slow to move constructs and tools like drill presses and punches might help a bit, if you need to move them in town.  But high tier mine extraction is the main thing.

I don't think it was a bad idea since rails also came with roads and right after cows, which was a good update. People were actually stoked with rails before realizing they only really perform one very specific task really well, and that is one task that we don't often need (as the coordination needed for mass production is hard in this game)

But, notes and dogs, although requested, are pretty lame. I wish he'd focused on tree farming. maybe after dogs are fixed they'll be nicer, right now they're a pretty incomplete feature.

#13 2018-09-15 18:32:39

Redram

Booklat1 wrote:

I don't think it was a bad idea since rails also came with roads and right after cows, which was a good update.

Oh ya, roads and cows were ok.  Cows were meh, but roads were definitely nice.   Item stacking was probably all-around best.  Rails are complete waste, but at least they didn't come with enhanced griefing capability, unlike butter knives, bloody notes/bloody note arrows (I still have no idea what non-griefing purpose he had in mind for those), paper (wasting curses), and now dogs.  If he can't implement a complete feature, he should just save it for when he can.  Not put it out half-baked.   Much less half-baked, right before vacation, with bugs that allow uber-griefing.

#14 2018-09-16 06:45:16

pein

same as fences, no value for money
and easy to dig out, easy to missclick, make a crossroad then lose one of the tails into thin air
building a rail to a location takes more time than to empty location
and the carts derailing are awfully bad mechanic, at least if they would be cheaper/longer and non destroyable it would make sense to have some
but then lineage ban always there so you wont get back to finish it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2018-09-16 18:24:22

Kinrany

So rails in OHOL are like Roman steam engines: they solve a problem that does not exist yet

#16 2018-09-16 18:40:36

Booklat1

Kinrany wrote:

So rails in OHOL are like Roman steam engines: they solve a problem that does not exist yet

pretty much. I think they'll be useful one they though, im glad they exist. Maybe when tree farming becomes a thing we'll get to transport tons of logs or firewood.

i don't even think it was a bad idea to add thm back there. people wanted high tech stuff after weeks of lag and curse updates and before jason's vacation so roads plus rails definitely were such a thing. Its just it's been a while and we're now realizing there aint much to rails yet

Board footer