One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-14 18:49:37

The_Llamacorn

Please, don't make Pit Bulls 'aggressive' Jason

I understand that this is Jason's game and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it and the game could already be looked at as 'inappropriate' (nudity, murder etc.) so making a dog breed deadly might not seem out of the ordinary.
But I beg of him to NOT make pit bulls 'deadly and shootable' because this only propels the stereotype of them being aggressive that a lot of people are fighting against.
I feel really strongly about this and I hate seeing misinformation being spread, especially through this game which I love.
I would argue that no dog breed is born with a certain personality, there's been research done which supports this, and the idea should not be forwarded as truth.
The only reason pit bulls would be aggressive is because of the way they were trained, pit bulls are quite strong and are often used in dogfighting.
And their owners would train them to be aggressive, and they are also used as guard dogs which also means they will be trained to be aggressive.
But these dogs are in fact, quite the opposite in nature, they are one of the most loving dogs that I know of and should not be feared.

So, I ask for you Jason, to please not implement this feature.
I hope this has changed your mind.

-A loving fan

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#2 2018-09-14 19:37:43

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Please, don't make Pit Bulls 'aggressive' Jason

Have fun fighting against that reputation when breeders are actively making videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwm0OwqWvF4

#3 2018-09-14 19:38:43

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, weight training for your dog, and feeding it muscle shakes?

#4 2018-09-14 19:41:37

Jk Howling

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, weight training for your dog, and feeding it muscle shakes?

Yes, but they aren't BORN that way.. adding them to the game being automatically aggressive without any way to change it is stereotyping them.

Give me the option to weight train, feed it muscle shakes, and/or train/abuse my dog in other forms and I'll happily accept aggression as a direct result.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-14 19:43:30)

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2018-09-14 20:10:14

boggers

In this thread we are complaining about stereotyping pitbulls in a game that allows racist players to kill other players because they were born black.

#6 2018-09-14 20:49:05

Rohen

boggers wrote:

In this thread we are complaining about stereotyping pitbulls in a game that allows racist players to kill other players because they were born black.

It's not a good idea to do this tho. Settlements need population. Therefore, the game is not promoting racism.

#7 2018-09-14 23:14:12

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

Have fun fighting against that reputation when breeders are actively making videos like this:

that's like telling a doctor "good luck curing people when others are killing them"

#8 2018-09-14 23:16:28

sanchez

Id say make those plop out three more dogs when they bite someone that way you don't even need to feed those

#9 2018-09-14 23:44:59

Kitaelia

I say add a random modifier to ALL DOGS for a chance they grow up aggressive. Don't just single out one specific breed because of a stereotype.

So far OHOL has been a beautiful representation of how society grows and reinvents itself over time. You add things to the game that seem appropriate for our current virtual direction based on the hive mind of our virtual people. Based on our virtual choices for our virtual people. Pitbulls in real life are aggressive because of the people who train them to be that way. That is the result of a real life evolution of society. By adding pitbulls to OHOL as aggressive by default you are taking away our virtual people's own growth and evolution based on our own virtual actions and instead basing it on real life society. That just seems a bit "off" to me.

I fully get that we need a risk vs. reward with dogs, hence an aggressive dog.. Which is why I point back to my initial suggestion at the top. A random % chance that ANY of the dogs could turn out aggressive.

Just my two eggs. smile

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#10 2018-09-15 00:59:39

JonySky
Website

Jason, it is unfair to the pitbull race to attribute the aggressiveness by default ...

The pit bull can be aggressive, just like a German shepherd, or a chihuaha

I sincerely believe that it should be a random value

#11 2018-09-15 01:01:30

Turnipseed

I want agressive chiwawas!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#12 2018-09-15 01:03:54

JonySky
Website

Turnipseed wrote:

I want agressive chiwawas!

jajajajajajaj +1

#13 2018-09-15 04:18:50

NyanRose

I agree. Pitbulls are not naturally aggressive. Because they want to please you, they can be trained to be great guard dogs. But without that they are love bugs. I do not agree with making them aggressive. But aggressive chihuahuas...bring it!

#14 2018-09-15 05:33:37

Joriom
Website

I don't like your vision. Change it!
I don't like the facts. Changed it!

Another thread of crybabies who don't like what Jasons likes. Perfect.
Also... why are there so many people in denial of reality nowadays?

Oh, and wait... pit bulls actually ARE born killing machines thanks to humans who engineered them that way and are more likely to be agresive/fearless because that was a welcome trait during breeding. Its hard coded into the breed.

#15 2018-09-15 05:46:23

The_Llamacorn

jasonrohrer wrote:

Literally, seconds into the video they say, and I quote, 'But despite the breed's often fearsome reputation, they show a softer side around the house.' The video disproves your whole point. They live with a little child and the dog would never hurt her. Clearly, you can see how friendly that dog is. I actually respect what they do because they're not 'pumping them full of setoids', they're bred like that and are for protection against, you know, criminals. And did you not read my whole post? I said that Pit Bulls were strong, but that doesn't inherently mean that they're aggressive or dangerous. They are in fact extremely friendly.

If you still think that Pit Bulls are aggressive in 2018, you need to do some research and stop believing in lies just because you want them to be true.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#16 2018-09-15 06:07:08

The_Llamacorn

Joriom wrote:

I don't like your vision. Change it!
I don't like the facts. Changed it!

Another thread of crybabies who don't like what Jasons likes. Perfect.
Also... why are there so many people in denial of reality nowadays?

Oh, and wait... pit bulls actually ARE born killing machines thanks to humans who engineered them that way and are more likely to be agresive/fearless because that was a welcome trait during breeding. Its hard coded into the breed.

Dude, why the negativity? I see you around complaining and being toxic everywhere. You just don't want to accept the facts I guess, like most people who think Pit Bulls are dangerous, you see what you want to see. Maybe if you actually looked into it you'd see how wrong you are, but Nah, that's just too much effort. Maybe go meet a pit bull in real life? And don't try to make it attack you. I'd prefer if you stay out of this if you're not gonna try to make an argument that doesn't just say that we're 'crybabies'. And maybe include some facts?

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#17 2018-09-15 06:52:45

xochristinee

Definitely agree, all breeds should be able to become aggressive in the game, not just Pitbulls. The funny thing is, Pitbulls, German Shepards and Rottweilers are very smart breeds and are trained to be guard dogs as a result. With or without this training they are actually very loyal and loving. My Rottweiller is so gentle, he wouldn't even hurt a fly. It angers me to hear all this stereotyping because of what people have "heard".

My BB names: Rosie, Becky, Kristy, Alex, Andy, Rocky, Robby

#18 2018-09-15 07:04:03

Joriom
Website

The_Llamacorn wrote:

You just don't want to accept the facts I guess, like most people who think Pit Bulls are dangerous, you see what you want to see. Maybe if you actually looked into it you'd see how wrong you are, but Nah, that's just too much effort. Maybe go meet a pit bull in real life? And don't try to make it attack you. I'd prefer if you stay out of this if you're not gonna try to make an argument that doesn't just say that we're 'crybabies'. And maybe include some facts?

I raised two Pit Bulls. I raised Rottweiler. I had 6 german shepherds. There were a lot of "mixed breed" dogs along the way. At the moment I have 4 dogs and raise them with a cat in such a way they drink water from the same bowl and go outside for a walk as a pack - dogs along with a cat.

No, I don't think all Pit Bulls are dangerous. All my dogs, including Pit Bulls, were sweethearts and raised correctly. Still - I believe if missmanaged even slightly, Pit Bulls (along with Rottweilers and such) would be more likely to become aggresive.

While small dogs seem to be more aggresive (because they're loud and obnoxious most of the time) its rather because they need to fight their way among all those "giants" around them. Just look at short men - they're the most salty and obnoxious along all men. It's true for others species as well. Thats a defensive mechanism.

While all dogs can be paceful as well as dangerous and it depends on how they were raised, I admit and accept the fact that some breeds were engineered to have more muscle and hormons responsible for aggression.

#19 2018-09-15 07:14:56

The_Llamacorn

Your post doesn't really imply that but at least you're not just talking out of your ass because you have pit bulls. Kinda seems like you just saw me 'complaining' and didn't read through the post and just assumed I was a crybaby. But it's fine.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#20 2018-09-15 07:53:10

Joriom
Website

The_Llamacorn wrote:

Your post doesn't really imply that but at least you're not just talking out of your ass because you have pit bulls. Kinda seems like you just saw me 'complaining' and didn't read through the post and just assumed I was a crybaby. But it's fine.

I just can't be boethered to use to many words to express my opinion on topic. But then I get attacked for my opinion and I need to explain I'm right like I would to a child. Sad.

#21 2018-09-15 08:02:19

BlueRock

The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) acknowledges that pit bulls were originally bred to grapple with Bears & Bulls . Love-a-Bull, an organization focused on educating people about this breed, talks about how over time , they were culled and bred to have an inhibition toward biting humans. Both organizations talk about how they have been selectively bred in many circles to be fighters against other dogs, and specifically the most commonly used dog for fighting is the American Pit Bull Terrier according to the ASPCA.

During the late 1800s, Pit Bulls were described in The Dogs of the British Islands as 'being a little too violent in his quarrels to make him desirable'. You will find evidence that this breed primarily saw use as fighters, but it's very difficult to find any credible resources with proper citation that discuss this breed as a 'family friendly dog'. Unfortunately there is more real evidence to suggest that these dogs are vicious fighters than there is evidence of them being docile, and friendly.

As much as I'd personally like to believe they are just as lovably friendly and safe as many modern animal advocates suggest, it's a juxtaposition to their historic use and description. That being said, though they were bred to resist the temptation to bite humans, according to Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998 , they are the most likely breed to bite and kill humans. This truth may be very unpleasant, but it is still an objective truth.

#22 2018-09-15 08:40:40

MultiLife

BlueRock wrote:

The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) acknowledges that pit bulls were originally bred to grapple with Bears & Bulls . Love-a-Bull, an organization focused on educating people about this breed, talks about how over time , they were culled and bred to have an inhibition toward biting humans. Both organizations talk about how they have been selectively bred in many circles to be fighters against other dogs, and specifically the most commonly used dog for fighting is the American Pit Bull Terrier according to the ASPCA.

During the late 1800s, Pit Bulls were described in The Dogs of the British Islands as 'being a little too violent in his quarrels to make him desirable'. You will find evidence that this breed primarily saw use as fighters, but it's very difficult to find any credible resources with proper citation that discuss this breed as a 'family friendly dog'. Unfortunately there is more real evidence to suggest that these dogs are vicious fighters than there is evidence of them being docile, and friendly.

As much as I'd personally like to believe they are just as lovably friendly and safe as many modern animal advocates suggest, it's a juxtaposition to their historic use and description. That being said, though they were bred to resist the temptation to bite humans, according to Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998 , they are the most likely breed to bite and kill humans. This truth may be very unpleasant, but it is still an objective truth.

Yeah.

Pit bulls have wide, strong jaws, sturdy build and amazing muscles. When they do bite, they have all the tools to go all the way and make it fatal quite easily.

Yes, a great slice of reported attacks are from pit bulls who were trained to be like that, but there are lots of stories of children being killed by loved family pit bulls.
Cesar Milan said that no dog is bad, but pit bulls have a tendency to react "bite first" to things. That's what is part of the breed. I think pit bulls are dogs who demand a strong and balanced owner, and most aren't enough.

When a dog snaps (yes any dog can snap), they turn into a mode where they go along their instincts. This is when the family pit bulls kill a family member, bite first. They can deliver fatal attacks effeciently. There is a man who is determined to raise awareness as he tells forward the story how his pit bulls had killed their toddler out of the blue. The dogs never showed any aggression until that one day they just crossed over some line and that was that. It's just a very, very dangerously equipped dog that can, like any dog, snap.

My mid-sized, overall nice doggo turned into a very different dog when she got her first real bone. She always respected us but with the bone, she started to growl at us, eyes wild looking. Ofc we took the bone away and made sure she would never do that, but dear god if that was a stronger dog such as pit bull, she may have tried something else in that "mode" of hers.
They are animals. Mostly lovable, but still animals.

My stance towards pit bulls is: they are not bad, but they are very capable of being deadly. Most are nice, but still able to do animal things, they are not babies. I don't fight against them, but I also don't fight for them. I have no bad experiences with pit bulls, but that doesn't mean they are angels: they are animals like any other breed. The difference is their history and build and reaction which leads to certain graphs (helped by some bad owners ofc). In OHOL, I think all dogs should be killable, and I rather have no dog deadly, personally, just to have them be tools and not weapons..

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-09-15 09:13:59)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#23 2018-09-15 10:41:43

Joriom
Website

MultiLife wrote:

My mid-sized, overall nice doggo turned into a very different dog when she got her first real bone. She always respected us but with the bone, she started to growl at us, eyes wild looking. Ofc we took the bone away and made sure she would never do that, but dear god if that was a stronger dog such as pitbull, she may have tried something else in that "mode" of hers.

If your dog turns "into very different dog" just because you gave her bone - you have zero respect from her. You're treated as servant and opressor, not pack leader or even comrade.

I always spoiled my dogs to the point where some of them even got fatter than they should. Yet, they were always reprimended for what they do and separated (or just ignored) from the "pack" as punishment (dogs hate isolation). To the point where I could always take my Rottweilers food, even if it was bone or bloody meat. They would growl, but yeld without me doing anything. I could do that with hand or my own head - no difference. With my current dogs I can just look at them with THAT look and they understand they did something wrong and drop on their backs showing bellies in gesture showing they're sorry.

My dogs were also always raised with plushies to chew on, drag around and rip apart. This way they learn sense of property and owning something. Whenever I pass by any second-hand shop with colothing I try to find some old toys full of scent for them to play with. They love it. They can recognize which one of them got which toy and they keep them in their own places. They don't steal toys from each other (unless it already very old toy in basket with "commons"). They also don't see problems with keeping toys next to food or each other. You know whats the part I love in them the most? I can take one of toys that are not menat for them (or even buy brand new one) and show them. They will get excited but as soon as I tell them in definitive voice "Do not touch, its not yours." - they will never touch that one again. Even if I leave it in the middle of the room for few days - they will literally turn their heads other way when around trying to not even look at that one.

20180915_122906.jpg
(there are even old stocking and socks in between those "toys" - and yet they never took one of mine when not given explicitly to them)
20180915_122918.jpg
Dogs as well as cat eat in the same place, sometimes at the same time. Toys lie around - not a problem for any of them.
20180915_123016.jpg

#24 2018-09-15 10:46:14

MultiLife

Joriom wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

My mid-sized, overall nice doggo turned into a very different dog when she got her first real bone. She always respected us but with the bone, she started to growl at us, eyes wild looking. Ofc we took the bone away and made sure she would never do that, but dear god if that was a stronger dog such as pitbull, she may have tried something else in that "mode" of hers.

If your dog turns "into very different dog" just because you gave her bone - you have zero respect from her. You're treated as servant and opressor, not pack leader or even comrade.

Shrug to that, she was young when it happened, so it might've been a teen testing the limits. That was the only issue she ever gave me. She came from a breeder (she was an older puppy when the breeder decided to sell her) and she was last in the pecking order in a pack of dogs there, so she probably had some "defend the food" instinct left in her from that.

Joriom wrote:

To the point where I could always take my Rottweilers food, even if it was bone or bloody meat. They would growl, but yeld without me doing anything. I could do that with hand or my own head - no difference.

And that's what my dog did? She growled, but never tried to show teeth or bite. The food was taken away and given back only if she submit and didn't growl anymore. But yes overall she was obsessed with food through her life.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-09-15 11:32:45)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#25 2018-09-15 18:03:19

Jk Howling

You know, one thing that I've seen work absolute wonders with dog-human food aggression, is practicing petting your dog while it eats. Its better to start as puppies, but can work on adult dogs too if you know what you're doing [and they're not to the point of snapping at you].

You just keep petting them and ignore their growling. Over time, you want to start getting closer to their head/mouth as you're petting them. After repetition for a few weeks, they'll figure out that you're not going to leave them alone, and that they don't have to worry about you as a threat to their food.

I've seen the process from start [snarling, gulping at food, aggressive stance] to finish [practically ignoring you completely] only take a couple weeks for pups. They'll still growl/snarl at warning to other dogs, but that's just establishing boundaries and hierarchy.

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer