One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-08 22:48:49

UnnoticedShadow

In-Game Skin Color Rework

Currently in the game the skin color of the parent has almost no effect on the skin color of the child, meaning that a pale skinned ginger can have a colored child, of ANY color, which is both weird and unrealistic.  I think this could be fixed by making it so when a child does have a "mutated" skin color, it is either a shade lighter or darker from the parent, to prevent large jumps from happening

Example: An Indian Mother has a child, this child has a X% chance of inheriting it's mothers color (over 50%) and a X% chance of "mutating" (under 50%)

If a mutation happens, that child will either be slightly darker or lighter than there parent (which could possibly be chosen by the climate that the parent lived in) and so for an Indian child, they would either be African or White, but NEVER ginger.

This would bring an interesting Ascetic into the game, and open up many more possibilities for the future, for example, Every character could be slightly lighter or darker than one another, allowing for more suttle changes, and eventually Skins like Readheads could be more rare than others, and albinos could even become a thing!

#2 2018-09-08 22:53:44

golmock

Re: In-Game Skin Color Rework

If we have various hair, skin, and eyes, I want to be like this. Right now, there are only a few characters, so if genetic material is applied, everyone will be scared because they move around the same face.

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#3 2018-09-08 23:00:56

PeaGirl

I think having more variants would be nice. It's like having mutation going constantly, and likely there are less diseases when you are not giving birth with similar genes. Also it is easier to tell apart players when they are different skin color.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#4 2018-09-09 00:05:03

UnnoticedShadow

UnnoticedShadow wrote:
Golmok wrote:

If we have various hair, skin, and eyes, I want to be like this. Right now, there are only a few characters, so if genetic material is applied, everyone will be scared because they move around the same face.

This would not apply to Indians and whites though, as they already have a lot of variants.

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-09-09 00:05:35)

#5 2018-09-09 01:49:33

Anshin

Fun fact: Ginger is half-albinism, and therefore any race can have it.
Melanin comes in two forms Eumelanin (brown) and Pheomelanin (red).
If you lack the ability to make Eumelanin then you're a Ginger!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVUQA-vEInBtSJPtgYWaPqG8paZNpSGfwfuKCMLB5b37HtaqMOag
thumb_an-asian-ginger-you-can-die-in-peace-now-14046256.png

#6 2018-09-09 22:02:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm pretty sure it already works this way, at least it should.

There's a 90% chance that you have a baby in your own skin tone, and a 10% chance you have a baby that is one shade darker or lighter.

At least that's how I remember coding it.

No guarantee that there aren't bugs in that code.

Also, the lightest skin tone only has one person it it, so I'm not sure how the code behaves in that case.

After the skin tones are more populated (like, 4+ people in each skin tone), I'll be revisiting this code to make sure it works correctly.

#7 2018-09-09 22:53:13

pein

its seems straight hair lady has ginger kids and blondie has black ones pretty often

have you thought about hairstyles?
genetics with one parent is bad as all you see is same look kids which gets hard to know which one is which, i even been chased for looking like someone else and killed people accidentalyl for same reason
having more char types is to identify others so its not so good ideea to have same looking people from same parent

hairstyles would make it similar looking from same parent, and it makes sense cause hair is a sprite
it would add so many looks and originality to game characters, many combinations, similar looking people but not same

also have you thought about mixing up the character sprites?
that would be cool, or at least the hairs, maybe facial elements

i mean now we need gameplay related stuff after so many tutorials, skins and food, would be nice to have higher tech higher difficulty useful things, so not so important but in future might be simple enough to make an update like that

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-09-10 02:10:05

SomeRandomPerson

pein wrote:

its seems straight hair lady has ginger kids and blondie has black ones pretty often

have you thought about hairstyles?
genetics with one parent is bad as all you see is same look kids which gets hard to know which one is which, i even been chased for looking like someone else and killed people accidentalyl for same reason
having more char types is to identify others so its not so good ideea to have same looking people from same parent

hairstyles would make it similar looking from same parent, and it makes sense cause hair is a sprite
it would add so many looks and originality to game characters, many combinations, similar looking people but not same

also have you thought about mixing up the character sprites?
that would be cool, or at least the hairs, maybe facial elements

i mean now we need gameplay related stuff after so many tutorials, skins and food, would be nice to have higher tech higher difficulty useful things, so not so important but in future might be simple enough to make an update like that

I want female models with male facial hair.

#9 2018-09-10 02:39:11

Anshin

SomeRandomPerson wrote:

I want female models with male facial hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwoDYJWWXW0

EDIT: Original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxugyZCfuw

Last edited by Anshin (2018-09-10 02:40:50)

Board footer