One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-06 05:22:57

WomanWizard

I think the lineage ban hurts branched towns.

Just a thought. I played a game today, looked like a relatively early camp since we didn't have sheep yet. My sister and I worked our butts off getting a sheep pen started, but we noticed that neither of us were having kids. Not even runners. We both peaced out (I asked her to stab me). Figured it just wasn't going to happen at that point.

When I looked at the family tree, we were actually fairly advanced in terms of generations, like 15 or so. But neither of us were having kids. Maybe if we'd stayed warmer we would have had some, but how were we supposed to know that there was family elsewhere competing for our babies?

So my question is, bad luck? Or was the lineage ban/birth mechanic working against us?

#2 2018-09-06 05:49:14

VioletLily

Re: I think the lineage ban hurts branched towns.

I noticed that there weren't many people around today, at least in the lives I played. I saw 2 towns die out. There just weren't enough babies.

There was a tri-city I played in quite often. While there were always people there, there weren't nearly as many as you would expect from such a large place. No more than about 5-10 at a time. I've seen eve camps with more people. I thought that city was done for as well, but saw a newborn suicide-run past me seconds before I died of old age, so there was a girl somewhere.  She was probably the only one though. I hope the line continued.

#3 2018-09-06 07:42:51

WomanWizard

My problem is more than not enough players in game. The line continued, but not from our little town. My sister and I weren't fantastically clothed, but that's never stopped me from having babies in the past. We had zero. None. Not one baby.

My guess is the babies were being given to the warmer members of our family. The ones we didn't know existed because we had no reason to believe we were so far advanced. The others were banned from our line.

We were likely the offspring of someone who decided to branch off, and we were doing great! We just didn't have any kids because we were a part of a bigger family that had better things elsewhere. This makes forming new settlements a little difficult, doesn't it?

#4 2018-09-06 11:38:09

Roblor

It's the worst thing when this happens... Give me serialkilling greifers any day.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#5 2018-09-06 16:47:43

Lotus

Yeah, if a town asks you not to suicide because you’re the last girl, just don’t suicide...? It may be fun if you stay, besides everyone will treat you like a princess because they need you to help them live.

#6 2018-09-06 16:51:44

S0mbre

VioletLily wrote:

I noticed that there weren't many people around today, at least in the lives I played. I saw 2 towns die out. There just weren't enough babies.

There was a tri-city I played in quite often. While there were always people there, there weren't nearly as many as you would expect from such a large place. No more than about 5-10 at a time. I've seen eve camps with more people. I thought that city was done for as well, but saw a newborn suicide-run past me seconds before I died of old age, so there was a girl somewhere.  She was probably the only one though. I hope the line continued.

I didn't see more than 100 people on server1 since a while. Mostly about an average of 50 this week. (Since the server is online again) One hour One life is a small community. We are not more than 100 max playing the game at the same time.

Last edited by S0mbre (2018-09-06 16:52:23)

#7 2018-09-06 17:46:53

Alleria

It's a bullshit game mechanic and was fought against when it was suggested and subsequently implemented (for counter griefing). Time has shown it was a poor decision and hopefully it will be removed in the future.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#8 2018-09-06 18:03:47

happynova

I have a guess as to the answer to this one, and it's not a lineage ban issue.

Seems like server one crashed for a while yesterday.  At least, I was playing at one point and got kicked out with a message saying the server had gone down.  I checked the server stats page a few times after that, and it looks like for a while everyone was on server two.  When I checked back later, server one was back up, and just about everybody was located there.  So I suspect what happened is that you were on server 2, and when server 1 came back up, new people were sent there instead of to server 2, so nobody spawned in with you.

Anyone who's actually on the Discord know anything more about that?

By the way, WomanWizard, I watched your video on twitch, and, whaddaya know...  I was your "supportive grandson" (actually nephew) Max in the Lim family!  I really enjoyed that life (at least until I got eaten by the snake).  Thought it was a great family, and you were the main reason why, especially since you saved my life when I was a baby.  I'm also amused that we kept having the same ideas at the same time, like bringing clay for more pottery, or planting wheat.  (I checked your farm plot before I started my wheat farm, I wish to point out, and you only had carrots there then.  I thought about just dumping some wheat in the already-tilled soil next to them, but figured it was somebody else's carrot farm project, and I shouldn't mess with it.  Heh.)  Also, I'm the one who dug all those soil pits.  You're welcome. smile

#9 2018-09-06 18:09:12

happynova

...although reading your next post,  if other members of your lineage had kids after that, that's presumably not the issue, after all.  (Note to self: read all posts before you reply!)

If it is an effect of the lineage ban, that's super-annoying.  I'm generally not against the lineage ban, because repeat griefers are a genuine threat, but...  Sigh.  Because some people are asswipes, the rest of us just can't have nice things.

Last edited by happynova (2018-09-06 18:11:10)

#10 2018-09-06 22:37:16

WomanWizard

We actually did think maybe it was a dead server, or an update or something, which is why we suicided. When I saw the family continuing elsewhere, I was confused.

And it's not the first time something like this has happened to me. I've tried to branch off from the family in the past to find a better spot, but only end up having one or two kids before I go grey. No girls. I'd love to be able to start little settlements, but I just don't think it's possible if the people who leave town don't pop out little ones.

happynova wrote:

By the way, WomanWizard, I watched your video on twitch, and, whaddaya know...  I was your "supportive grandson" (actually nephew) Max in the Lim family!  I really enjoyed that life (at least until I got eaten by the snake).  Thought it was a great family, and you were the main reason why, especially since you saved my life when I was a baby.

Aw, little Max huh? You're the one I found and threw at my sister like, "This yours?" I remember watching you doing all kinds of productive things around town! Great minds think alike and all that.

#11 2018-09-06 22:45:54

pein

i seen older sister having babies and i didnt any, or at least not until 34ish

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-09-06 23:04:46

VioletLily

pein wrote:

i seen older sister having babies and i didnt any, or at least not until 34ish

This has happened to me at times as well. There was one time when other girls in the family were having tons of babies (at least 4 or 5 each) but I had none my whole life. Is this just bad luck or is there something that causes this?

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-07 01:07:01)

#13 2018-09-07 06:06:08

tana

i remember when having 8 kids was average.... now i rarely get more than 5

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#14 2018-09-07 06:44:43

gabal

I think being fed and having perfect temperature helps. Last night I had three babies in short sucession (I even asked if they were triplets, it was that fast) while I was talking to a first baby while standing on a perfect temp spot.

#15 2018-09-07 19:17:02

Falsewall

How do lineage bans work?  I died to a bear and popped right back into the same town with the same last name.

#16 2018-09-07 20:36:40

pein

hunger was the original factor, now is just temperature, and believe me, i prefer aprons over seal skins, and i dont even see my pack from a wolf hat, so i dont focus on best clothing but still im more clothed generally than others, cause i got better scouting skills, so i find or make faster the clothing, and i cant say that im having more babies than others

i think there is some age based preference, seems my mothers have babies the same time as me, or the first 3 girls have earlier their kids, and i get them later or by that time i get less than them cause it distributes them from older to younger, i cannot confirm but based on experience, seems likely

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer