One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-01 04:58:08

Lotus

PSA: Stop Gearing Babies

It's a big city. Everyone gathers around Granny, whose bones are creaky with age. Granny holds the sacred Crown of Your People on her head, and a backpack with two knives, carefully crafted and used to kill the many griefers who have besieged the town in its past. Her apron is dingy and old, but it still contains an arrow.

Granny's children are eager for their share in clothes. They've been working hard their whole lives, and have been too busy farming, baking, and smithing to consider making themselves clothing. They have proven themselves to be trustworthy individuals crucial to society.

Granny's eyes dart between them, trying to decide who gets what. But then, suddenly...!

A joyous little cute baby pops out of her daughter! It's so cute, it deserves ALL of her things! So it gets everything. Knives, crown, full clothing, everything essential to a griefer, before it's at an age where it can survive on its own. Disappointment ripples the entire family when they see the child say "TY" surrounded by a black speech bubble.

--
Sigh. I like how one former put it -- "gearing babies is a slap in the face to all of the hard workers out there." It's something I've heard almost everyone complain about, and it needs to be addressed. I can't count how many babies I've seen grief as soon as they can hold a weapon, because their things were passed down to them as a family inheritance instead of something to be given to responsible players. You can't predict baby's motives. It is not a good idea to gear them unless there is enough for everyone. Also, your kids will get mad at you if you do. So, there's that.

Thanks. Tired of seeing this.

#2 2018-09-01 05:40:35

Turnipseed

Re: PSA: Stop Gearing Babies

For the love of god yes

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-09-01 06:08:41

startafight

also all knives shouldnt be stored into one bp. if the holder dies or is killed then thats just free for all for griefers. i usually end up amassing a steady knife collection and i always give them out separately. keeping em in one spot, especially if the holder doesnt use it is just pointless and griefer bait

#4 2018-09-01 07:39:48

tana

it isn't so much a problem anymore, you can just swap backpack and clothes with babies... so if you have an empty backpack and apron just remove them then swap with the baby, tbh i also do that with elderly when i see they are too old but still cling to the knives for too long without looking for someone to give it away.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#5 2018-09-01 09:55:25

Tea

tana wrote:

it isn't so much a problem anymore, you can just swap backpack and clothes with babies... so if you have an empty backpack and apron just remove them then swap with the baby, tbh i also do that with elderly when i see they are too old but still cling to the knives for too long without looking for someone to give it away.

But then the child will still have clothes while everyone else who has been born years before and working ever since is still naked. How many times have I worked at the bakery as a toddler and years later I see a little brat running around town, fully geared with apron and the only knife. It can't hold the knife yet to cut the bread or kill the many sheeps we have.

And talking to ohers to swap their bp with the toddler is useless unless it's someone intelligent. "Why would you swap it?" "It's his, he got it from granpa" "But he looks so cute"

I even had a daughter who wanted the only bp but I gave it to my son who wanted to search for iron. When we told her no, she suicided. Other new players come to me and demand clothes, while standing in a desert.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#6 2018-09-01 12:59:45

Turnipseed

tana wrote:

Ive seen it happen with the only cloths in an eve camp before... that baby ended up on a boar...

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-09-01 13:57:22

Lotus

tana wrote:

Yeah, you can, but Mommy usually gets mad and pulls out her knife.

#8 2018-09-01 16:37:29

Booklat1

Lotus wrote:
tana wrote:

Yeah, you can, but Mommy usually gets mad and pulls out her knife.

so you dodge mommy's assault since she is a nub and bathe in her arterial juice with the knife you just claimed.

#9 2018-09-01 16:46:13

Aurora Aurora

Ah yes. I hate people gearing babies. An empty backpack or an apron just lying around is okay but if you give EVERYTHING you own to a child who hasnt even spoken yet you are actually mentally challanged if I can put it that way.

I always give my gear to my eldest son because he is most likely a hard worker if hes stuck around and less likely to give my clothes to a baby and also maybe because I love my sons more than my daughters.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#10 2018-09-01 17:48:58

Lotus

I always gear a hard worker -- doesn't matter if they're my family or not, or if an elderly person is reborn and they lost their things then I give them their things back.

#11 2018-09-01 18:23:28

PeaGirl

I always gear those who have made considerable job in keeping the village up. I only gear children when everyone has already every clothing and storage possible, and never ever do I give the knife just like that to the born baby. If someone did that to me, I'd very likely start stabbing people because they give me a first impression that they don't care if they give their few last minutes to be sacrificed to a baby who would likely kill everyone by being noob.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#12 2018-09-01 18:44:06

Randomname

I like handing my stuff down to my kids and yes sometimes that means babies.  Clothes keep them warm which they need more than adults as they have tiny bars and they can store berries/food in a backpack which could be life or death to your new grandkid even in a large city.  Wolf hats/dyed hats/crowns need to go to my line especially if I or my mother or grandmother killed/dyed/forged that hat.

Knifes I pass on to someone who is baking/taking care of sheep/working hard.  However if said person ignores me and my bar is down to five I'll pop backpack with knife on a baby just to avoid noobs running off with it after I go to the respawn, after all the baby can't use it and you have time to swap packs and get it from the baby.

#13 2018-09-02 14:49:14

pein

yeah told this a lot of time ago big_smile

worst cases i seen: a chick was fully clothed, she was bossing around others cause had much slower hunger rate thought she runs shit
i killed my thief sister cause took something and when i asked upon it, she was rude
then this dumbass acts like a town leader or some sorts and people became paranoid#
ended up killing 6 attackers when all i wanted to do is a mine, but my sis took a rope, but this dumb girl sent the whole town on me cause 'she was useful, she got straw'-probably was trick, he used to say dumbfuck things like this

a guy fully clothed was walking around, he had no skill whatsoever, but had enough time between food to mess around my work, waited on him to make the pen, he never did.
clothes are a sign that the person knows what is he doing, if made it himself, if scavenged from far away from a corpse at least has the skill to explore

this was pretty early, a girl was born, suicide in bigger towns wasnt so often, i put a pack on her, she run 3.5 biomes away when came online and didnt even drop the pack, when we had 2-3 only, now i ran after and almost starved to death retrieving it

few days ago: a little sister got a backpack cause aunt died, i told mom she is newbie
she died in a swamp and 40 min later i seen a backpack on a little niece, she also died in a swamp, we ran out of girls cause the decent sister, who was at least telling me 'nice to meet you' had only sons

there is a baby boom, some kids end up fully geared and im naked, and a lot of people, checking by names, all those kids become griefers who didnt got anything

i would also add:
stop begging for clothes- i seen my sis begging for bp and i took it, 25 min later shot me while i was lagging, i stopped on screen for 5 sec until i seen an arrow in me, 25 fricking minutes you spend on 'revenge' doing nothing

stop asking others to kill someone: i was called a griefer for picking up a pack from ground, i gave to my sis, then comes a girl trying to shoot me
i take her bow and arrow and chase her, but then she goes to 2 guys, calls me a griefer and 30 minutes almost im chased with knifes cause im a 'griefer', what did i do? they cant answer, someone told im a griefer so they stab me cause they believe it and got a weapon
you own it if you make it, others cannot steal something which never been yours, and cant even defend it
if someone ask to kill someone cause stole clothing from you and its not even 10 year old, stab that person instead of others
i accept the risk of being stabbed, but should be the person who i took from
when i found a pack and tried to exchange for an apron, a girl just stole it cause 'you already got one'. no shit, but how does that make it yours with no permission?

stop threatening for clothes, if you found a knife, its not yours, no one owes you a backpack
sometimes i got my backpack made, the only one in camp, and a dumbfuck finds a knife and says i should give it to him, nope you should give the knife to me

you need apron cause 'you are a doctor', chances are we dont need a doctor, anyways you dont need to dress like one to be a doctor
learn to say no and accept no as an answer

bargaining is kinda true, i seen a baby in the only apron, backpack and shit,her mother starved, a woman told him raises him for clothes, bit rude but yeah, fair enough

you are in a camp, every baby is your baby and none of them are your baby in real life, the skill matters most, not the gender, not the direct relation
this stupid competition makes people kill their sisters, with more than 3 females same age, there are more problems with killings, jelousy is one thing

i had a life when a guy made a grave with letter, then constantly ended up giving clothes to everybody else than me and my kids who run the city producing food, compost and materials
ended up killing a kid who was dumb and fully geared

it all started back in the day when you could born to your granddaughter as a baby so giving to her ensured you might get somethign back
i even born back after 60 and found my body scavenged by someone, the guy gave me back the pack as it was far from camp and i knew the exact location, i still didnt ask for other stuff

generally aprons are cold- dont give to a daughter, also they are useful for baker, shepard, smith, maybe a hunter
other clothes are ok, give to whoever you want, keep girls warm, if you are a guy, give your clothes to a girl
i seen a lot of times people grind for clothes while the last girl starves and a baby girl is born
nice example when golfpantsguy was begging for pack and the other guy killed most girls cause i had a problem with him taking a wolf hat i gave to my daughter, they cried a lot, but 10 minutes later i died, all the girls died cause no one cared about them
marriage is good for this reason, find a smarter girl and agree that you are married, she gets you food and shows the kids, and you work and gather for them, its not only roleplay, it makes sense for gamplay

backpacks are for explorers and experienced people, not for convenience only, if you dont plan leaving the city might as well give to someone who does, its jsut op to get 7 shafts or 7 clay or 7 rabbits

as i tend the sheep and a wheat farm, im the old bump who gives straw hats for everyone
even sheep skins are ok
but i always give packs to compost makers or someone who explores or builds stuff, or at least farming
knifes to baker or shepherd
or i leave on the side of the city which ensures someone who can at least explore the city finds it
the warm clothes go to babies, one each not all for one and i start sooner not at 58, babies come and go, a single piece identifies them

i watched into a video of twisted where he yelling 'i deserve that backpack' multiple times
just so he didnt put anything in it in for next 20 min of his life
also he just tosses everting to his own kids and 'i dont trust xy' who is clearly skilled enough
this is why i got no patience with roleplayers, if you dont intend to use it, dont stop others from using it

killing this babies solves nothing, kidnapping them shows that most of them are noobs- you cnanot die to a kidnapper if you are smart enough you click one
killing this dumb parents also solves nothing, they feed themselves on giving away stuff they didnt make and babies are just grateful for it cause they dont know but gonna curse you or attack you for death of such player

at least check if they are smart enough, or what they do at 4-8 years old, you could gear your kid after you see what is the first thing it grabs when old enough, you will have 8-12 kids, and others too, chances are you wont get the smartest right away, its a lot of efficiency loss for gearing noobs, i often see the full gear change owner 5-6 times in a lifetime

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-09-02 20:31:48

karltown_veteran

Yesssss thank you finally someone said it!
Look, I know that Precious is a cute baby (who might be cursed, because she hasn't spoken) but do you have to give her the backpack full of knives?

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#15 2018-09-03 02:13:11

MinnieMoocher

Eh, when I get old I just kinda strip down, run around, and throw clothes to anyone I see who needs them. Never knives though. That's a bad idea.

Last edited by MinnieMoocher (2018-09-03 02:24:13)

#16 2018-09-03 02:24:16

MinnieMoocher

Eh, when I get old I just kinda strip down, run around, and throw clothes to anyone I see needs them. Never knives though. That's a bad idea.

#17 2018-09-03 19:28:22

pein

I just hid 3 packs the other life, everyone naked was a noob. Every kid working got my shit. From a chaotic dump turned into a working city.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2018-09-04 03:17:57

Lotus

karltown_veteran wrote:

Yesssss thank you finally someone said it!
Look, I know that Precious is a cute baby (who might be cursed, because she hasn't spoken) but do you have to give her the backpack full of knives?

There was legit a baby named Precious today who had a crown, full gear, and pack full of knives when she was a baby and everyone else was naked. Were you there?

#19 2018-09-04 15:22:41

Tea

Today again I saw a grandma gearing a toddler with all her clothes, including the knife in her backpack, with the words "I usually don't gear kids but ..." So I swapped the Backpack, having the knife in my possession, secure and ready to give it to someone who need it more like Baker.

I was tending the carrot farm and helped making compost. This little brat went to her mom, told her and everyone that I was a griefer. Mommy, Brat-Toddler and one guy came to the soil spot I had dug up and put in baskets to get it back to town for the berries.

This Lady stabbed me, without asking, without thinking, saying she killed a griefer. WTF ?!?! The guy who came with them probably just wanted to talk and told to heal me but pads were too far to heal me in time.

This makes me so mad! I was helping, except me and one guy NO ONE was making compost and the berries were dying.

I bet this player was new and just kills everyone who was called a griefer by her shitty potato head toddler.

Edit : Did I mentioned that I was on a horse ? It escaped thanks to the nice lady stabbing me !

Sry had to get some steam off. I feel better now. Carry on.

Last edited by Tea (2018-09-04 15:26:40)

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#20 2018-09-04 20:16:12

pein

been a time i killed those babies but its not their fault, now i tell the parents not to give packs and aprons and if they still do chances are i stab them
especially if they bitch about swapping something on a baby
if i got clothes and other babies not, i give them a little something
i try to get a pack or apron, rest i dont care
same goes for pointing kids, i wont gear them or feed them if they leave their mom to point on shit to be given to them

had a few lives where beggars and dumb kids got all the gear and people chase me for picking up gear from ground
once i even dodged an arrow and took her bow, that bitch called me griefer and 2 guys were chasing me with knifes for 30 min cause im a griefer, but they couldnt tell what i did, and didnt let me speak, so chances are i kill them too

if somebody rats about others without proof, i would kill them before the person called a griefer, you cannot own clothes as a 10 year old kid cause you didnt made it, probably not your mom made it, so if you lost it you deserve it, i get if they want revenge but do yourself or dont rat about it
they cannot steal something what never been yours

#21 2018-09-04 21:18:42

Anshin

I make backpacks and sealskin coats all the time. I hand them out to people as I please. I made them.
I have NEVER had any reason to murder anyone. Most idiots starve and don't need help dying.
Those of any skill either refresh what needs refreshing, or forage, or break off and start a new town.
Killing people over clothing is totally needless.

Board footer