One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-01 16:30:10

Schlorghan

The only way i can imagine different places having different cultures

Since we can come back into the world, the culture in the game is world wide. So I thought we could use variety of resources that aren't available to everyone, so that cultures can revolve around resources, and I know you might say that we have different biomes, but they are too close that every civilization/village can access them, in order to have differentiation of civ cultures, we need resources that go a long way that you would see that one and not other special ones, for example, In Canada Maple syrup is cheap and abundant therefore in the game the culture would be to make a lot of maple syrup, While in ancient Mongolia that had a lot of horses, letting them form a culture where important people revolved around horses. They also did have different languages and skills passed down, but all that is universal here.

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

#2 2018-09-01 17:04:22

Booklat1

Re: The only way i can imagine different places having different cultures

I very much agree. More biomes with alternate ways to get food, water, soil and early tools would allow for different early game metas and also make it possible for this that you described. Well, more character sprites and ethnic groups would also help in diversity of cultures.

About the biomes:

Grasslands: Are the only biome to have milkweed And food And a growable crop And soil And Branches. We need it for farms, tools and early food.
Swamps: Absolutely needed as the only biome with water. Also clay.
Badlands: Useless early game unless you rush steel, in which case good for you. Is needed because of iron and most important, sheep.
Savannah: So many unique resources and also early game food, this is the most interesting biome to me as it has resources useful for pretty early and late game.
Tundra and deserts: while deserts are neat and very useful they don't offer so many resources. Tundra is not very interesting, I hope it gets oil one day.

My point here is, the only biomes you absolutely need to constantly return for resources both in late and early game is grasslands and swamps. I think one more biome with non-upgradable water sources and another one with either soil or tools could be fun. And it's more biomes to add animals or resources too.

#3 2018-09-01 19:37:17

Anshin

Huge biomes would help, but the reality is that until modern mass transit we didn't visit other cultures except on rare voyages (bell tower equivalent.)

You could do something like make more and very different biomes that don't spawn near each other (no jungles anywhere near the arctic) with different local crafting trees. Then you can only visit/trade with them once both cities have created a fast travel system, say airplanes, that effectively teleport you to the other city and back.

#4 2018-09-02 05:50:59

pein

well you can make pouches and water with them
but most food needs bowls and even smithing so the variety stops there
i would like getting water out of cactus or bottle tree or melting ice

basic needs are branches water soil and ropes, but maybe some more stuff
just by having access to more iron you could till 1 soil, and plant potatoes, this by itself would make the life different from a green biome with lets say berries and carrot
we had wells everywhere a while and terraforming kinda made it almost viable to settle near one pond and just make a well
i was asking for water deposits cause it made sense in such game, but nw with buckets you can kinda choose to farm near soil

was some talk about it
best ideas were having different soils which only allow certain plants
water and clay could be everywhere and could be a few different ways to make thread or rope

green biome should be basic land like now, maybe some extra food, but limited later civ levels
we could also have a richer jungle but lot more dangerous animals
each biome with different challenge, or each mix of biome with new optimal ways to evolve
maybe some bonuses and some unique effects

you could do some parts of tech tree here and some parts there, you could have furs in savannah and easier clothing, more wild animals to hunt but harder farming
easier smithing in badland but harder to get soil and water

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-09-02 08:39:37

Aurora Aurora

Oh Id love an eskimo culture in the artic.

Thats all I had to say.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#6 2018-09-03 02:34:54

MinnieMoocher

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Thats all I had to say.

Second!

#7 2018-09-03 02:58:18

VioletLily

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Thats all I had to say.

It could probably be done if we had caribou and ice fishing. Maybe ice we could build with or melt for water as well. We would also need some Arctic plants. The caribou dung could be used as fuel to start small fire. It sound like fun!

#8 2018-09-04 00:08:06

Schlorghan

Yes, all those would be so great in the game!

I prefer kidnapping to giving birth.

#9 2018-09-04 19:03:51

Kinrany

Board footer