One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-28 15:55:35

Roblor

Lets stop suiciding

So lets stop suiciding...
... How 'bout we instead just tame+make/steal a horse with carriage and a fence post, ride away like there's no tomorrow and play the simple, but hectic Eve-play like we clearly wanted and contemplated the suicide for?
Getting born into a big, ugly, un-personal and soulless city, where we're probably not needed and quite often not even wanted, sure drains the will to live straight out of the lot of us.
Now this week I recently started committing LOTS of infanticides on myself upon rebirth, after having died with unfinished business in starter villages, perhaps with a single daughter I just know is waiting for children of her own, BUT, Ima gonna improve myself and therefore made this 12 step checklist Ima from now on preform on every birth.

1. STOP. Just wait a minute before committing that what you were about to commit. It's okay. Your mother barely loses anything if just just was a sec.

2. REFLECT. Unless the place you want to get born into has an exceptionally large population of fertile women at the moment, then the chances of you getting that one right mother - out of all the active mothers currently online - are just abysmally low.

3. LET GO. Letting go is fundamental for your own personal growth and practicing this said art of letting go will
a) make you better at it and
b) improve the quality of your life (your real one that is and therefore, by extension, also your virtual ones).

4. ACQUIRE THE THINGS. At this stage you have probably survived into young toddlerhood, but as soon as you can eat on your own you should plant some milkweed. Rope is rarely lying around and I'm sure you'll need it for something. Locate the adze for fence making. Fence is needed to park your horse and carriage when you arrive at your new home. Make two fence kits. One for your future home and one secretly hidden one close to the town where you were born. You'll need it to prepare your horse and carriage uninterrupted while you prepare for the journey ahead.

5. KIDNAP A GIRL. This is of course not possible until the 'Kidnap a girl update' in 2019, but in the meantime it is actually quite possible that most of the girls around hate the big city as much as you do and your IRL persuasion skill can be used to effectively "snare" her with your words instead of the rope. If you are a girl you can easily kidnap yourself, or ask a competent male to do so for you if you want to increase the chances of your future family's survival. (mark "competent" or else you will at a moment realize you fucked up)

6. EVALUATE. Do you have all the things? Do you need an extra horse for your kidnapper/kidnappee?

7. SCREW IT JUST GO. If you are old enough to ride or if you decided that horseriding is more of a bother than it's worth, just find a good temperate tile and just go for it. Run Forest! Run!

8. AND WOULDN'T BE NICE IF THE HORNS ON THOSE MUFLON SKELETONS COULD BE JUST LIKE TURNED INTO SOME KIND OF SOUND PRODUCING TOOL THAT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER NOT TO LOSE ONE AN OTHER WHILE TRAVELING? I mean just look at them! Protruding so conspicuously on those dead muflons. They are totally going to be implemented somehow into the game one day and a sound producing object has many uses.

9. RESOURCES. When you begin to see big piles of untouched iron and virgin fields of lush milkweed, then you know it's time to quickly move on to step 10.

10. SETTLE. Ok. Maybe you have traveled far (in which case I hope you still have your horse and carriage) or maybe not so far, which is actually in many ways even better, but now is the time to find a good swamp biome. Eggs are awesome for a fledgling, soon to be, little village, but also some berry bushes wouldn't hurt. Settle here, retrieve all the babies that plopped out on the way and are patiently waiting for you on a temperate tile, play the game and die of old age, clumsiness, griefer offspring or just plain bad luck (The last one only counts if you are noob).

11. RECALL AND JUDGE: How many lives have you lived today really? Is your real life counter part about to die from starvation? Are you subconsciously trying to suicide IRL for some deep and unexplored reason??

12. REPEAT ALL THE STEPS ABOVE BUT IRL (EXCEPT THE KIDNAPPING PART OR THE OTHER LEGALLY QUESTIONABLE ACTIONS SUGGESTED IN THIS POST). Good luck or something

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#2 2018-08-28 16:26:45

denriguez

Re: Lets stop suiciding

Why all the kidnapping and subterfuge? I've found it super rewarding and some excellent RP to convince younger workers (esp. including a girl or two) to gather supplies and settle a new town with me. Communicate with your band and with those remaining in town that you'll be traveling to "the third green biome due east" or something like that. Then it's essentially a cooperative eve run, which is tons of fun, and often very successful for continuing a family line. If the city dies out due to griefers or famine, your little town might still be growing. Then, later, tell your grandchildren about the big city three green biomes due west. That gives them a mission!

#3 2018-08-28 17:18:47

PeaGirl

I have actually done this several times when I wasn't needed. Instead of spending time in dying city, where people try to kill their babies. Just bait stupid women who try to pick you up and suck the last milk from them if you can and run asap to temperature tile and pray. Next thing is stealing any of the necessary items you need for quick camp. (Bowl, sharp stone, basket... perhaps backbag if it is somewhere dropped.)

Then next thing is to run any direct direction you can. South, North East West whatever. Just run as far as you can up until you see really pure forest/swamp/temperature biomes. It's not easy tho, but you have more time to spend if you run at early age. (at age of 4 or older, suggested 9 since you can make arrow along the way (if you got backbag.) I have actually had to escape from a family for my own survivalability and for generation to possibly stay more alive.

That, if you go with anyone else, I don't really see it very benefitting, but if someone insists of escaping together, then they need to follow the one who knows how to be efficient when travelling. (temperature running or calloping with horse.)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#4 2018-08-28 17:23:38

Roblor

denriguez wrote:

Why all the kidnapping and subterfuge?

The kidnapping and subterfuge is of course optional based on your preferred playstyle

Yeah and one more thing... If you're going with the horse and carriage you'll need to snag a shovel aswell to be able to place the fence kit that you'll need to park your horse. It's of course nice if you return it when and if the food situation in your new home is stable and you're all old and useless, but if the shovel is cracked and soon broken there are more productive ways to prepare your offspring for your absence.

Time is so short.

Last edited by Roblor (2018-08-28 20:37:48)

#5 2018-08-28 22:54:03

pein

i do stay near noob eves sometimes, mostly as a boy, if she didnt name me i wont really bother saving her or even playing the game
if im a girl i just make a new camp, generally nearby, mostly my moms and sisters ruin everything and not enough food for feeding so many people so i dont mind going further

as a boy i check if there is nearby good spot then make kiln and start the farm then invite them, if you invite people right away they just die

on mid level camps feels so bad to run out of girls, i finish my projects but if i dont have any plans i talk a little with the better players then suicide

on big cities you can actually make projects from resources or train your smith or shepherd skills, ofc gets boring after a while so i just  fix a bit, make compost, wheat and quit

outposts are very good , im not always in mood, just when the city lacks trees and generally decayed, filled pits and mess, then i leave

we should all wait like 5 sec before suicide not so nice, even if im an eve your life might be more interesting than a gen 3 camp with noobs, as i generally make tools and pen

if you got killed there is not much chance to get back there

but i do understand people got a few hours maybe they dont want to rush from bush to bush and do nothing important

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-08-29 05:18:12

Neo

Outposts can save the lineages of dying cities. The roads have made it easier to have outposts since future gens will always be able to travel there.

Not enough people bother with them, Most just stay in dying city.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-29 05:23:29)

#7 2018-08-29 06:18:08

LaughAtlantis

<slowclap>

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

#8 2018-08-29 10:41:54

Roblor

pein wrote:

we should all wait like 5 sec before suicide not so nice, even if im an eve your life might be more interesting than a gen 3 camp with noobs, as i generally make tools and pen

I'm often quite relived when babies insta-suicide, as that means I don't have to post-phone whatever I'm doing in order to find a temperate tile where I can place my bebe. However when I realize that all my bebes just committed suicide one after an other, I become distraught and lose my own interest to play this game.

The idea behind my reasoning was this;
People are gonna keep suiciding no mater what, but it would be great if just some would take a sec before they do, and consider if there is really no other way they can enjoy the game afresh, WITHOUT just ploppin in and out waiting for that one perfect birth.... Just some people who would go "Fuck it. Ima make the best out of this.".

Otherwise I agree with you that wasting time on babies, that distract you for no reason by dying just after you left your current task long enough to forget what you were doing, is both crippling and infuriating as fluck.

#9 2018-08-29 11:39:20

Swift

Yesterday I was born as male to a mother, who was not an Eve. She was alone in swamps, trying to build a new settlement. There was a horse with a cart nearby.
I was trying to start a berry/carrot farm, when mom became old, still having no daughters. Yet she worked on a forge, but later came to me and said that her home village was east from ours, and that I should return there once she was dead. Soon she finally gave up, and her last words were that it was an attempt to prove her forum post, but it failed. Whaen she died, I made a proper grave for her, made sure that our small settlement was in good condition, in cause somebody would stumble upon it, and left.
I never made it to my mother's homevillage, but I rode 3,3 k steps on our horse, had it damaged by snakes 4 times, repaired and went on. Then i reached my destination: The Bell town. I was welcomed, then went to visit my outpost, the one that I had built one of my previous lives, and worked as woods transporter till pension.
Before my death I told to kids the short version of my story, and died when saying that thare were no other people left at my home.

Today I decided to look up at forum the post my mom referred to. I found this topic and thought it must be it. So I registered to tell my story.
Here are my thoughts on the theme:
I am a suicide baby. When I first started this game I was keen on living every life as long as possible, but soon got very tired of big cities. Now I do one hard working life in big city a day, then start "running for life" till find something better. Being born in an outpost is a lot better, than beeing born in big city.
That is why I am saying YES to the idea of leaving. It is rough and tough, as any EVE life, but still worth every minute of it.

PS: Sorry, bad memory on names.
PSS: Thank you for this life, Mom. It was a lot better then my usual "give up and farm those dying berries" lives.

#10 2018-08-29 12:24:32

Roblor

There is a chance I might get born back into that place if what Startafight heard is still valid;

startafight wrote:
Roblor wrote:
startafight wrote:

the problem is that the process of making it would be so much more effort than it takes to just slap a home marker and die at 60 (summons eves).

Sorry what? Slapping a homemarker and dying at 60 summons Eves? As in causes new Eve players to spawn in the location of the homemarker of a player who died of old age? Am I understanding you correctly here?

its some info i got from another post a while back but i think its still relevant. if u have a home marker set and u die of old age it has the possibility of summoning an eve. thats why u get eve spawns in big cities so frequently

I'm still kinda skeptical about this, but I will write an other message on this topic if I ever Eve-spawn into our lil' frontier camp that we made.

My character Sally Rainbow actually never plopped out any girl player to repopulate the place in the first place;
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=972795

But I'm still grateful that you chose to play with me, Swift, as I would be greatly disheartened to die out there all alone.
I'm glad you made it back. Hope to play with you again soon.
You are a great player.

Board footer