One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-27 01:35:36

PeaGirl

Another pen creation guide. (Sheep/Cow)

I have come across this active week way too many incomplete and hurried pens that it pains me when you have to clean sheeps all over the place. It may be griefers doing or such.

Trash pits are the fastest solution one can have when it comes for making a simple pen to get the final piece for making sustainable compost and more efficient cooking ingredients for mutton pies (shivers in pleasure). But before one gets to that milestone, you'll have to plan where to make the pen.

For you to be able to begin making your own trash pits, you need to have round stone, stakes and shovel with you.
1. drop stakes on selected area.
2. use round stone on stakes to make stakes look like small square (the last option after the big square staked area).
3. use shovel to dig the spot, and you have a trash pit ready with stakes next to it. Stakes are pickable from it.

Also, when you need to make filled trash pit that won't dissapear (Do not just shovel it, it will dissapear quickly!)
Fill the corner trash pit with leaves or juniper tree clutter. useful if you have backbag or basket. after 20 droppings, it becomes filled and will stay in place. It is essential for players to walk past in pen without getting trapped. It also blocks sheeps and mufflons from walking on filled trash pit and of course, escape.

-  Open, with at least 1 nearby spot to get food for shephard (berry bush, cactus. Not necessity, but highly recommended in case of accidents.)
  -  Having it linked next to farm and bakery may be useful, but since farms and bakeries tend to get quite cluttered even with stackable materials, it is profitable to find a place that has at least 5-7 grids distance, since when making pen, farms may still become bigger, and you need to make pen reasonably close, but still some distance, that place won't be too tight in space.
  -  O.P.E.N meaning you have enough space to make easy expansion, since first pen expansion may not be big enough. It also leaves you enough space for disposing of sheep bones and wool.
  -  Make use of roads if possible. If your pen is far away from bakery. It is good to make a road for swifter run speed and efficient working. (which is also pretty cool.)

Since mufflon/sheep don't move left right up down, it is easier to determine how they maneuver.
Let's make pen plan with only letters. (since I can't make picture pop up here... weirdly enough.)

O = trash pit
X = filled trash pit
M = ground

OMMMMMM
MXOOOOOOOM
MOMMMMMMOM  <- this would be a simple one way sheep pen. One can choose to make another way in corner by making
MOMMMMMMOM      trash pit first (O) before filling the corner O into X. This way sheeps won't escape.
MOMMMMMMOM
MOMMMMMMOM
MOOOOOOOOM

You can also expand sheep pen if you have enough space for it. You just need to connect trash pits together to make bigger square, and when you are finished, you can dig the trash pits that were blocking them off from expanded area. Just remember not to lock yourself in the expansion without shovel... I have seen that happen sometimes lol.

I know there are few guides already, perhaps mods should pin the previous guides so that post creators can edit whenever update comes in case there is anything new to add in.

Oh yeah... Also!
If you want to make a profitable cow pen without having any baby cow clutter scattered everywhere, wasting space, there is this simple pen plan
MOOOM
MOMOM <--- buffalo and cow inside, either position works.
MOMOM
MOXOM
MMOMM

at least that is what I remember it being. You can walk through there and get milk for bread (though I am really really not interested in bread butter milk thing, because you have to use a lot of wheat, but who knows how much bread butter milk makes comparing pies or stews.

Well, this is it for now. Say if I forgot something and let's help each other!

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#2 2018-08-27 14:52:37

pein

Re: Another pen creation guide. (Sheep/Cow)

you build oven next to the pen, not the pen next to the oven
the oven doesnt require much placement, maybe water for pies and bread but after buckets doesnt matter
but its not even important before pen, pies arent good if you make 4-8 from wild wheat
also an oven cost 2 adobe so you dig up two stumps and done so
or after compost just use straw and clay

corner entrances are faster but not looking good and not functioning as good
peope will drop lambs into it and actually you cant drop lambs from inside to corner spots only from outside, thats why a side entrance is better even if it costs more
eventually gets ruined so a filled pit is permanent unremovable, while a berry bush is removable after not needed or just wont disturb anyone
front entrance more visible and you can put a door inside eventually, should be standard by now, people were slow making pits so a 3x3 inside corner entrance was ok, but now that dead animals arent blocking one entrance enough 99% of cases, the remaining 1% you need to swap shear with dead lamb, throw in pit and remove the fleece

not much to add in, pigs are useless, boars can be used to heal arrow shot - convert to a bite then heal
or as executing chamber
small pen for cows can be made from chests
each dung can hatch an egg basically duplicating the calories so include oen stump in pen and cut their head and cook them, seen a lot of towns with too many eggs

a huge pen can be always good, animals cant enter cat exit so defends against bears too

railroads can go inside a pen if its longer than 4 tile than the sheep cant exit on it
so you can send in berry bowls and get out bones and meat in carts, fleece too

rabbit bones are faster for filling stuff, just right click itself and drop every bone into pit
still fixing it can be kinda bad, leave unfixed on extension side at least.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer