One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 17:32:37

InSpace

Players are interesting in this game

95% of players aim to get a good carrot farm going while naked their entire life. The rest of us sits in full clothes and eats a slice of pie every 5 minutes. I wonder what drives the carrotfarmers

#2 2018-03-12 17:58:55

Hans Lemurson

Re: Players are interesting in this game

Ignorance!

That you need food to live is obvious.
That carrots are food, is learned pretty quick.
That carrots come from the soil is fairly straightforward.
That you can put seeds in the soil to get more carrots can be learned without too much difficulty.

What is less obvious is how to make clothes.
Where do you get your thread?  From TWO milkweeds?
Where do you get your needle? 
From a rabbit bone,
From a cooked rabbit,
From a rabbit caught by a snare (which is made how?  4 milkweed for a rope? Are you serious?)
And cooked over a fire (wait, how do I you make fire?!)
And fire has its own convoluted process of creation even IF you're lucky enough to find a bow-drill already made for you.

When you're naked and starving, the only system you have enough time to grasp is "Plant carrot, get carrot."

#3 2018-03-12 18:04:28

Left4twenty

I don't get everyone's perception of complexity in regards to fire, it takes minimum 5 matetials, yeah, but even a little knowledge on how to actually make fire makes it obvious.
Edit five materials including 2 tools that require constructing upon further thought, so it is tricky but if those are on hand it takes two seconds

Last edited by Left4twenty (2018-03-12 18:06:24)

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#4 2018-03-12 18:11:52

Zeromus

Right!  So teach them how to make clothes and pies.

#5 2018-03-12 18:31:19

Joriom
Website

Most of the time I run naked. Not because I dont know how to make clothes but for the simple reason of... all milkweed in the area being destroyed by misinformed people (this is common in "youtube tutorials" - pick flowering only) or just by trolls. Without it I can't snare rabbit, I can't sew clothes... Its gg.

Also - the need for milkweed is horendous. You need 8 milkweeds just to start fire. 4 more to snare a rabbit. and 2 more for each clothinng piece. Oh, and Did I mention people making water pouches instead of clothes already?

#6 2018-03-12 18:32:48

Matok

So, if you present these two choices:

Learn to do a 50 step process, but you only need to perform it once and you're done.

OR

Learn to do a 5 step process, but you need to do it dozens of times before you're done.

Most people in the world will take the 5 step process. It's 'brute forcing' a problem over 'thinking your way through it'. Both work, but take different kinds of effort.

#7 2018-03-12 18:38:46

InSpace

But you learn things while playing all the time, like doesn't people get curious about how to use that oven or how to make that swagbackpack.

#8 2018-03-12 18:52:54

Joriom
Website

InSpace wrote:

But you learn things while playing all the time, like doesn't people get curious about how to use that oven or how to make that swagbackpack.

No, you don't learn things by playing. You learn things by NOT playing and watching others do that or by investigating random things while neglecting your needs. You learn by taking risks, not by "having fun".

What you see in most games - whenever possible players will try to reduce risk to minimum. Basically grind the risk out of game. In case of OHOL its grinding carrots (aka hunger) out of life.

Most players will try "new" things only when they feel safe at current state. Like picking up strange things or reading crafting recepies will occur mostly only when youre fed AND have steady supply of food ready.

The problems is - you die of old before you can achieve that or you take kids/strangers and they make it impossible with their additional hunger.

Consider that:
I can safely farm my carrors and maybe one day have enough to venture away looking for milkweeds or rabbits.
VS
I can ventrue out looking for milkweeds and rabbits risking starvation and loosing what I already collected.

#9 2018-03-12 18:55:14

coderone

Hans Lemurson wrote:

Ignorance!

That you need food to live is obvious.
That carrots are food, is learned pretty quick.
That carrots come from the soil is fairly straightforward.
That you can put seeds in the soil to get more carrots can be learned without too much difficulty.

What is less obvious is how to make clothes.
Where do you get your thread?  From TWO milkweeds?
Where do you get your needle? 
From a rabbit bone,
From a cooked rabbit,
From a rabbit caught by a snare (which is made how?  4 milkweed for a rope? Are you serious?)
And cooked over a fire (wait, how do I you make fire?!)
And fire has its own convoluted process of creation even IF you're lucky enough to find a bow-drill already made for you.

When you're naked and starving, the only system you have enough time to grasp is "Plant carrot, get carrot."

You forgot, if you get to the point of fire, then cook the rabbit it gets burnt tongue

#10 2018-03-12 18:58:14

powa

Matok wrote:

So, if you present these two choices:

Learn to do a 50 step process, but you only need to perform it once and you're done.

OR

Learn to do a 5 step process, but you need to do it dozens of times before you're done.

Most people in the world will take the 5 step process. It's 'brute forcing' a problem over 'thinking your way through it'. Both work, but take different kinds of effort.

Which method are you most likely to actually observe?  The simplest method.  Even if the other is actually better, not many people will learn it because they're less likely to even observe it.  Even if both methods were equally common, it's more likely that the observer will get distracted by hunger, danger, etc, and miss part of the longer method.  One's thought process is not the limiting resource -- its experience.  More complicated methods are naturally harder to learn.

#11 2018-03-12 19:11:47

InSpace

#12 2018-03-12 19:15:08

InSpace

just find something ingame, and after dying check up what interactions you can do with it smile

#13 2018-03-12 19:50:26

Joriom
Website

On my first run I tried to do something. Then I realized I do more harm than good. I went to wiki - read all current recepeies and logged back to be usefull. Thats not how most people play this game though. Don't expect them to.

We here are bunch of people involved in cautious and thoughtfull gameplay. Most players are not. Most of the "mob" as I call them have the mindset of "oh yeah, nice game, cool stuff, craft things, live long, bad graphics, what do, craft more, poke that, god bear, no food, get berry, find ppl, farm carrot, got food, food good, more food, almost die, more food, carrot farm, soil end, bad design, forum cry"... can you see how it unfolds? At least half of players could be described in those "two word thought lines".

OHOL is hectic be design. Most people want to have fun, not to "work hard" and "think much" in a game.

#14 2018-03-12 20:45:50

ned

I disagree. Carrot farming is more efficient.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 2743#p2743

Last edited by ned (2018-03-12 20:50:40)

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#15 2018-03-12 20:49:46

Portager

Joriom wrote:

Most of the time I run naked. Not because I dont know how to make clothes but for the simple reason of... all milkweed in the area being destroyed by misinformed people (this is common in "youtube tutorials" - pick flowering only) or just by trolls. Without it I can't snare rabbit, I can't sew clothes... Its gg.

Also - the need for milkweed is horendous. You need 8 milkweeds just to start fire. 4 more to snare a rabbit. and 2 more for each clothinng piece. Oh, and Did I mention people making water pouches instead of clothes already?

This. Another problem with the carrot farming frenzy is that milkweed becomes an afterthought. If you are a large village on an established server, you need to have a milkweed plot...and for the love of all that is good and decent, please do not plant the milkweed intermingled with the carrots. I cannot tell you how many times I have accidentally picked non-fruiting milkweed by accident while trying to harvest carrots.

#16 2018-03-12 21:24:01

shoukanjuu

Joriom wrote:

No, you don't learn things by playing. You learn things by NOT playing and watching others do that or by investigating random things while neglecting your needs.

Exactly. It took me quite a few lives of intentionally spending time looking at the crafting recipes for items in-game to figure out how to make fire (that, and watching other people, if I was lucky enough to be a baby in a settlement where people were doing that sort of thing), and then a couple more lives after that to succeed at doing it.

Not everyone plays with that kind of "intention".

#17 2018-03-13 01:20:35

Hiker170

I figured out you could touch things as a baby and get the crafting recipes up, so i learnt a lot by just going around touching stuff then going back to the fire, or mother. Being a baby isn't all about just sitting there, but it would be nice if you could learn how to make tools by touching them and going back through the process.

#18 2018-03-13 01:55:11

Antarys

Give me a 2 snares and a needle, and I can make a full kit of fur with bag pack in a life time without having to go back to any camp. I'm amazed how everyone is still naked. There most be clothes pilling up somewhere because I have a few time made 2 to 3 full set of clothes for a village when I had a Backpack to start my rabbit hunt. That is if people left Milkyweed behind...

#19 2018-03-13 01:58:34

Antichthon

Clothes get lost in the wilderness from people dying constantly. Most people will be naked until the environment reaches a critical point where you cant walk two squares without tripping over clothes. that is, unless the spawn point migrates repeatedly, like it did in Server 3. Then people will just be naked forever.

#20 2018-03-13 02:51:47

evan.woods

Antarys wrote:

There most be clothes pilling up somewhere because I have a few time made 2 to 3 full set of clothes for a village when I had a Backpack to start my rabbit hunt.

People wear their best clothes to go die in the wilderness, for some reason.

#21 2018-03-13 03:03:35

Hiker170

I've found that clothes go missing when some one dies in the middle of a big farm, I even checked around the edges and could not find any of them. Is there a limit on how far these items could travel before the game goes nope they gone now.

#22 2018-03-13 03:05:52

Uncle Gus

Yes, this is an issue. If you die on a farm plot, everything is lost. Spread the word!

#23 2018-03-13 03:08:21

evan.woods

Uncle Gus wrote:

Yes, this is an issue. If you die on a farm plot, everything is lost. Spread the word!

That's a real shame.

But all the more reason folks should hand down their clothes. Or take them off before they die alone.

Last edited by evan.woods (2018-03-13 03:14:13)

#24 2018-03-13 03:13:51

VintageXP

Are we going to glance over the fact that you can't make pies from start, it's quite time consuming and you kinda need carrots for that? Most of the time I'm an eve reviving a pretty weak settlement. I don't have enough time to make clothes and keep a steady supply of food while taking care of a baby. Sometimes I can manage clothing pretty early on though, but that's because I don't use carrots as the main food source, I use rabbits instead due to being less time consuming and providing fur as a side product. Works great for the really early start.

#25 2018-03-13 03:28:09

Antarys

Uncle Gus wrote:

This would explain a lot concerning the clothes problem we are having.

Board footer