One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-20 07:56:11

startafight

farm on desert plss

tfw u spend 10 minutes tryna find the perfect combo of desert/green/swamp n then ur kids wanna set up farms on green

i think someone did a post with math in it a while back but honestly all i remember from it is that its better to set up farm on desert n it consumes less food. so kids pls farm on desert. especially since were all so prone to being nude forever now so we dont need to worry abt overheating

if im using outdated info pls let me kno

#2 2018-08-20 08:10:56

Alleria

Re: farm on desert plss

Full heat desert unclothed = 10 seconds per calorie loss
Grassland biome unclothed = 5 seconds per calorie loss
Goldilocks zone (edge of desert/fire) = 20 seconds per calorie loss

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#3 2018-08-20 08:11:50

Tarr
Banned

I mean we still have people who build near soil and bring water back home instead of vice versa. Being naked in any biome besides desert burns food at a double rate. If memory recalls its about five seconds per pip (square) in green/black/yellow/blue, ten seconds per all desert surrounding, and about twenty two seconds on a perfect tile.

I would assume people who build in green are mostly thinking short term and attempting to build near where they get their original food. Ideally, you  want to build all your farm land within desert tiles and things people aren't going to stand around outside you desert tiles.

Things that belong in the desert: Farms, Bakeries, Forges, Sheep pens, Naked people.

Things that do not belong on desert tiles: Buildings, Baby Fires, Dressed people, Graveyards, Flooring (besides roads.)

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2018-08-20 16:30:57

pein

well generally 4 times better in ideal case, but on normal case is still 2x better, as you scavenge for stuff, so you go out anyway
especially people who eat on each and single pip loss, a desert indirectly helps noobs too, they dont know about it they still stand on a desert cause they picked food up on a desert tile
raising kids is much better, 3 feedings only, if i see a baby on the corner of desert (4 desert and 4 normal tiles around a desert tile) i always save him/her
generally i end up with one or two girls and they try to help out and the little girls die one by one and they go old
eating and talking on a desert is always happening and its a lot of food saved
lets say you can plant 40 bushes on green but only 10 needed on a desert
its not quite right cause there is the soil requirement to fix them, but you can make 2x9 bushes and like 6 bowls for them
and generally should be better than expanding endlessly

as for the camp location
soil means nothing, you can carry 3 of it, technically 1.5, as you till 2, with a backpack you still carry 2 soils which is 3 tiles
water in other hand, is hard to see by babies, and its required for farming, soil can be made, water cannot
even when you got pouches you can carry one basket of 3 water, but then again you will have no food in swamp, so better make it
just because you dont believe you can do it, others can so dont underestimate others, your food needs to be planted mainly not scavenged, i rarely see people going 30 tiles to wild bushes or getting soil, and you need some noobs who raise up pro babies
the green biome is temporary, the soil is temporary, the food is temporary

a desert of 6 tiles has at least one perfect spot which can be used as a permanent fire, temp run, i generally build the kiln above the perfect spot

small patches of 9 berry bushes near a water supply is better than one huge berry field
you need somehow to pick it off, also helps exploring, some people just die when go too far, so having 5 spots with berry helps people explore the city, one middle and one in 4 corners of city, then 9 more if gets bigger

the pen on desert is generally bad ideea, if you are a sheperd you are clothed, its a fairly complex job for most, you shouldnt let noobs do it, so its generally better on a big empty space next to desert

you only use the desert edges, top and bottom better than the sides just because of the field of view, so if you can choose, find the top or bottom close to water, i see desert sides messed up all the time

bakery goes next to pen, not next to kiln
generally you should build after pen, or build new next to pen, you can carry 3 crust into pen, or 12 with a cart, much faster than hauling all the meat to other side of city, an oven costs 2 adobe

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-08-20 18:09:41

Tea

Am I the only one who doesn't find the perfect desert in between green and swamp biome on my Eve runs ?

And when I do, berries are bit further and kids are not smart enough to go run to get food thus dying ?

No, just me ? OK then.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#6 2018-08-20 18:21:21

pein

i dont stay if i dont find something good fast

the two best maps i got was too weird for people
we literally had 30 bushes in a screen which even regenerated, people still didnt reach gen 6
the most fragmented biomes tend to be the best, and sometimes i choose odd positions, like half badland if the pond is close to desert
technically you can have the kilns further and the farms just next to water, is still okay as logn as you got a small desert for babies

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-08-20 20:01:58

startafight

ty all. i set up round here

dJN0L07.png

the image doesnt show but there were 2 ponds  on the desert biome pretty close to each other n around 5 more to the left within a reasonable adult walking distance. n there were a lot of foraging n food down south.

i guess they didnt kno that deserts consumed less food but it just frustrated me cos i had to tell her twice to set up on desert. the first time i moved all the dirt by the pond (seen in pic) n then the second time she tried to set up further from the pond on green (even though i explained the first time that desert consumes less food)

b1l2pyL.png
^ where i started setting up patches of farms

aJRPWgm.png
oG8g0DL.png
^ where she started tryna farm. though she did only plant milkweed on the massive plot even after moving it to the desert... idk why it was necessary in an eve camp tho we had a lot of milkweed. i guess its fine tho, for the future n all

lineage: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=909303

Last edited by startafight (2018-08-20 20:37:45)

#8 2018-08-21 13:57:15

Falsewall

Correct me if I'm wrong.
1. .Being at full heat is as bad as full cold.
2. The middle of the desert puts you at full heat unclothed.

Assuming these statements are true I figured standing in full desert heat is the same as Tundra food drain.

Last edited by Falsewall (2018-08-21 14:37:29)

#9 2018-08-21 14:02:00

TheRedBug

1: yes
2: no

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#10 2018-08-21 14:19:14

Morti

My original picture,
7AaMZAW.png
and the post, with more details: Food Consumption vs Temperature

#11 2018-08-21 14:37:16

Falsewall

Nice picture.  Thanks guys.

#12 2018-08-21 17:12:25

WomanWizard

Tea wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't find the perfect desert in between green and swamp biome on my Eve runs ?

And when I do, berries are bit further and kids are not smart enough to go run to get food thus dying ?

No, just me ? OK then.

I rarely find a perfect spot and usually end up with the second one, with the wild food a bit too far away. I've had reasonable success making sure I take a break while setting things up to do a quick food run here and there, then sending my first kid in the direction of food to bring it back. Rushing omelettes makes this a pretty dang good strategy. Just talk to your kids when they're tiny, before they grow hair and run off. Let them know where the food is, or better yet, show them and grab a quick snack while you're out. If they have a basket with a berry in it and you throw them in the direction of the food, most of them will make it back at least once.

After your first kid starves, you should have omelettes and a farm getting started, so nothing to worry about.

#13 2018-08-21 19:05:26

Tea

WomanWizard wrote:
Tea wrote:

No, just me ? OK then.

I rarely find a perfect spot and usually end up with the second one, with the wild food a bit too far away. I've had reasonable success making sure I take a break while setting things up to do a quick food run here and there, then sending my first kid in the direction of food to bring it back. Rushing omelettes makes this a pretty dang good strategy. Just talk to your kids when they're tiny, before they grow hair and run off. Let them know where the food is, or better yet, show them and grab a quick snack while you're out. If they have a basket with a berry in it and you throw them in the direction of the food, most of them will make it back at least once.

After your first kid starves, you should have omelettes and a farm getting started, so nothing to worry about.

I will try that thanks ^^

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#14 2018-08-22 13:19:44

pein

happened again, a civ died out cause 10% girls who go out to swamp and die, and people made a huge berry farm, while we had a desert with 3 ponds right next to kiln
after the eve and her kid died at 24 and someone did the eves job, and with the 3-4 wild bushes i seen made that berry farm, its like pissing on their grave to be lazy to make a new berry farm in a more optimal way
also mortality rates were very high at younger ages

honestly consider planting new bush on desert before fixing one on green tile
having multiple bush groups of 9 on corners better than a huge farm
so when you can make wood tiles just enclose 9 tiles and plant one, berry is not the best long ago but its newbee friendly

#15 2018-08-22 19:13:11

Turnipseed

pein wrote:

happened again, a civ died out cause 10% girls who go out to swamp and die, and people made a huge berry farm, while we had a desert with 3 ponds right next to kiln
after the eve and her kid died at 24 and someone did the eves job, and with the 3-4 wild bushes i seen made that berry farm, its like pissing on their grave to be lazy to make a new berry farm in a more optimal way
also mortality rates were very high at younger ages

honestly consider planting new bush on desert before fixing one on green tile
having multiple bush groups of 9 on corners better than a huge farm
so when you can make wood tiles just enclose 9 tiles and plant one, berry is not the best long ago but its newbee friendly

I agree we need to put an end to the huge, misplaced berry farms. Everything is so much easier in 3x3 plots

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

Board footer