One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-15 15:37:07

Booklat1

Feeding other adult characters

I don't think it should be doable unless that other player is starving. Its such an easy way to grief as it can waste food, break yum chains and is just generally annoying when other players can mess with such a personal part of your gameplay.

Don't force feed people, people. Offer them the food.

#2 2018-08-15 16:38:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Feeding other adult characters

Yeah, forgot about how this affects Yum chains.

The fix isn't that simple, because there are many situations where you do want to be fed by someone (like a nursing mother who holds a baby while others feed her, or someone who is wounded or trapped).  That's why feeding others is in there in the first place.  I used to have an age limit for being fed, but I turned it off because there are interesting situations where feeding others is useful.

Though.... there are so many forms of griefing in this game.... I can't solve all of them for you.  If someone keeps doing this to you, what are you going to do about it?

#3 2018-08-15 18:16:53

AltyBagU

The best idea I have is to have a accept food button on/off switch otherwise it is better to keep it on then off.

#4 2018-08-15 20:27:30

SweetMamaSun

I've feed adults when I saw they were too far from food and may be starving. Asking them may take too long. 100% of the time they've thanked me.

#5 2018-08-15 20:36:01

Turnipseed

Please allow feeding of mushrooms again!!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#6 2018-08-15 20:58:25

Tea

Turnipseed wrote:

Please allow feeding of mushrooms again!!

YES !!! I want to make innocent babies high again !

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#7 2018-08-15 21:19:19

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

Though.... there are so many forms of griefing in this game.... I can't solve all of them for you.  If someone keeps doing this to you, what are you going to do about it?

I usually try and talk to people and with this particular action I think it's not even worth getting mad about since it's usually something people do with good intentions. If the person keeps doing it though, I might get stabby.

Is there no way for the game to check if the adult being fed is hungry before feeding works? I'm no computer wizard so I really wouldn't know.

Either way, I think this is sort of an issue the community itself can be more conscious about too. Maybe avoid feeding people with generic food or food that has being available in town for long. Its definitely less damaging to feed people a pork taco then a berry would be.

#8 2018-08-16 06:18:03

pein

i feed people when they fill too many bowls and plates and i need for forging

or yesterday cause i  had fresh milk, pretty sure no one ate from it

generally when i ask questions or talk with someone, or a kid is too far from safety of food, saved a few live with it
people just starve talking to you

generally if you spend more time building up a yum chain than finding the next food keeping it up, you are doing it wrong
just check how many food types you got at home, and make a chain of 5-6 multiple times, it wont worth anything if you didnt moved a pebble
rather make a few pies and eat when you are low, even watching it makes me sick
i make a pen and eat the same food not wasting any, you dont do anything maybe raise  one baby and wonder around scavenging and you are so desperate on yum bonus, technically you can raise a baby with 2-3 feedings
or a popcorn-berry-bowl of berry-skim milk combo and give a baby 4 yum and leave it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-08-16 07:16:03

Alleria

Player 1: "HERE"
Player 1: "WANT"
Player 1: "STEW?"
Player 2 starves to death.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#10 2018-08-16 15:53:03

Booklat1

But why would you try and feed an adult player that can't even keep itself fed though?

I think it's more efficient to just drop the food (yes, that does not work in crowded areas)

#11 2018-08-16 16:09:31

TheRedBug

Alleria wrote:

Player 1: "HERE"
Player 1: "WANT"
Player 1: "STEW?"
Player 2 starves to death.

Top 10 saddest anime's deaths

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#12 2018-08-16 17:07:24

MultiLife

Yum chain: can it be made so that if the food is fed by someone, it doesn't affect a Yum bonus?
Griefer's force-feeding: can't really come up with much, the switch that was mentioned by AltyBagU was good I think. Something to use to refuse food incase a griefer strikes or if someone is building their Yum chain.

Personally I don't mind if my Yum bonus is intervened, only thing that bothers me in the feeding is just the chance to grief, but I haven't even personally experienced that yet so it must be really rare overall: it is a tiring way to grief, and not even flashy, so it's probably one of the last choices griefers take. I'd vote for the switch (which could be toggled on/off after baby years).

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-08-16 17:09:03)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#13 2018-08-16 23:32:34

Anshin

SweetMamaSun wrote:

I've feed adults when I saw they were too far from food and may be starving. Asking them may take too long. 100% of the time they've thanked me.

This. I've saved people who had to go AFK several times. And the same has happened for me. Being able to feed people is more useful than harmful. I've never even witnessed feeding others as griefing beyond the mushrooms, and the mushrooms were fun.

#14 2018-08-17 17:57:00

carbon

Anshin wrote:

This. I've saved people who had to go AFK several times. And the same has happened for me. Being able to feed people is more useful than harmful. I've never even witnessed feeding others as griefing beyond the mushrooms, and the mushrooms were fun.

I found shrooms and wanted to force feed it to the one with a crown, but the fear of being cursed by devotees was too strong so I just stashed it.

#15 2018-08-18 07:19:47

Lily

I don't think feeding others is a very common form of griefing, especially since you can just feed yourself, or just carry the food off into the forest and hide it.

#16 2018-08-18 19:33:16

startafight

i saw some idiot toddler force feed 3 pots of stew to adults cos "stew is griefing" apparently

#17 2018-08-19 05:16:05

thegolfpantsguy

if the person is not afk or on penality or outside a city, THEN ITS GRIEFING!
there is no reason to fed anyone in town who is not afk or on penality or a baby
okay maybe to get a free bowl... but thats only when all bowls are full... and should be stopped after the bowl is empty...
9/10 of them are griefers

MultiLife wrote:

I'd vote for the switch (which could be toggled on/off after baby years).

+1

Board footer