One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-17 11:34:00

ixonok

Meaning to all the game time invested.

Hello,

I been playing for a few day, and I like and i enjoy this game a lot.
I also like the concept where you have very limited time to live, and when this time is up, you are gone. All you can do is add your little contribution for future generations.

The only thing that is missing for me is, knowing how my contribution impacted others.
After you die, you'll probably never see or benefit from from what you did again.
And that’s a bit discouraging for me.
With no progress system, its basically up to an hour long mini game.

The family tree page offers a little insight but its not enough.
I would like to know (since we can’t keep progress) as much detailed as possible on what impact I have made on others and the civilization.
It will motivate me to play more and try to make my contribution as big and meaningful as possible.

My idea (very general, we can work it out together):

Have a page where I see detailed history of all the items made by me:
- who used it.
- for how many generation
- maybe its part of some other item now
- other interesting metadata...

It will allow me to size my impact on future generation.
We could even have a score board with people that were most influential based on some algotithem that scores this impact.

What do you think?

p.s
sorry for my bad English

#2 2018-08-17 12:03:49

MultiLife

Re: Meaning to all the game time invested.

I like it but with many lives, it would need to be quite limited or it gets messy with all of the people touching and using items. But sure, it would be fun to see how many ate from all of the berry bushes you watered last, who used tools you made or helped making, how many ate pies you baked etc.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-08-17 12:25:20

Neo

Interesting idea

Would be cool if you could see what people managed to make in there lives and how many crops watered etc.

I remember seeing a suggestion about a spectator mode of sorts. You could watch your descendants but not be able to interfere with anything, Just seeing there perspective.  Maybe you'd be restricted to your own children and grandchildren.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-17 12:37:55)

#4 2018-08-17 15:00:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Item tracking is pretty hairy to implement.... that will be a lot of data to gather about all these items that are created and passed down.

Spectator mode is actually easy for me to implement.  However, I hesitate to do that because it would destroy some of the mystery.  The "I wonder where they are now" feeling is very important to me.  The family tree destroys that a tiny bit, but it's so abstract that it still leaves room for some mystery.  It also helps to make real how far back family trees really go, which helps to strengthen the mystery.  Otherwise, you really have no idea about how far back it goes.

#5 2018-08-17 15:16:31

willfrank84

I think a spectator mode benefits would far outweigh the negatives. There certainly is something lost in not knowing what happened to your kids, grandkids, and the last generations of your family.

#6 2018-08-17 15:43:57

Joriom
Website

Spectator mode would also be a nice "tutorial" for new players. You died? No problem, watch others survive and thrive. But yeah, the spoilers would be high. To the point where I would probably sit watchig others, never playing myself.

#7 2018-08-17 15:48:39

ixonok

jasonrohrer wrote:

Item tracking is pretty hairy to implement.... that will be a lot of data to gather about all these items that are created and passed down.

yes it is a lot of data, but not that much in todays terms.
Collecting all this metadata and storing it many benefits down the line imo.
You can even start by storing it as files on the server/cloud, and later run some map/reduce or spark job to analyze it all, have an offline process for data analysis maybe..
don't have to even think of a database right now..

it can be used for:

- Ofc my original idea: item-player history.
- Different stats for all the players to see, like what is the most used item, Or who is the best farmer in the last 24H...
- This data can be used to find different problems in current game mechanics: for some reason there are way too many knifes smile, or it takes 20 generations to use one tool, but 2 generations for other..
- Analyze and see the affect of different updates and tweeks done to the game.
- I'm sure there are more good use cases, we will only find out if we get the data to play with

Last edited by ixonok (2018-08-17 16:59:49)

#8 2018-08-17 17:36:58

carbon

I’m ok with either way for spectator mode. I don’t know how it’ll affect the way people play the game though...

#9 2018-08-17 17:53:07

Booklat1

OP seems to be new on the forums but i think a lot of what you're missing can be found here. People will often tell their stories in this foruns and find ingame friends and family. There's also that small chance of respawning in a place you lived before.

We do occasionally have the "what happened after" experience, that's all i'm saying.

#10 2018-08-17 23:24:24

Matbat

jasonrohrer wrote:

Spectator mode is actually easy for me to implement.  However, I hesitate to do that because it would destroy some of the mystery.  The "I wonder where they are now" feeling is very important to me.

Perhaps not spectating player per say, lets honor our fallen heros by letting them watch us from the grave!
If you want to spectate you have to have had a marked grave and a ghostly visage of your player model at death flickers above the grave to show people they're being watched.
if someone puts a flower on your grave you can speak for x minutes, and if people don't feel comfortable with a ghost watching them they can just pour salt on the grave to block you big_smile

Board footer