One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-10 20:47:09

Uncle Gus

Client/server get out of sync

If I understand correctly, the client has a "bubble" of known tiles around it, and requests map information from the server as the player moves around. Events that take place within this bubble get sent to the client to update that client's information about the world. E.g. A player just put a carrot down on tile x,y.

Ignore everything I say after this if my understanding is wrong.

It seems that events get lost when sent to the client sometimes, so the state of the world gets out of sync. Objects are shown in the wrong place or you pick up a hammer and it turns into a basket or what have you.

Is there any kind of acknowledgement sent back to the server from the client and the event resent if the acknowledgement is not received? Could this be added? Obviously in a way that doesn't result in the server sending the same event endlessly.

At the moment the only way to get back in sync is to walk out of the bubble and back in again. Would it be possible to force a complete refresh of the state of the bubble every so often to avoid a stale state? Or perhaps add a menu option to manually resync if we notice desync happening?

#2 2018-03-11 18:39:20

Uncle Gus

Re: Client/server get out of sync

I'm getting frequent reports of the desync through discord and the forums. I think this is the most significant issue in the game at the moment.

#3 2018-03-12 15:29:04

danger1penguin

Uncle Gus wrote:

I'm getting frequent reports of the desync through discord and the forums. I think this is the most significant issue in the game at the moment.

I would agree. Especially in villages with a lot of players working together. Randomly it will update and everything seems to move. Also, I tend to find items that must not actually be there, and this is a real killer when you think you are grabbing food that isn't actually there. I've seen a few players report not being able to move. This has only happened to me once and somehow I eventually got out of it. I think it had something to do with aging at the same time I complete an action because I saw my character get older at the exact moment I became stuck.

#4 2018-03-12 16:46:21

Potjeh

By the time I turn 50 I'm totally out of sync, every single time. Players are invisible, and items appear to be where they're actually not. If somebody moves a tool from where I left it I'm toast, can't do anything. This is borderline unplayable.

#5 2018-03-12 20:25:19

karsten

Potjeh wrote:

By the time I turn 50 I'm totally out of sync, every single time. Players are invisible, and items appear to be where they're actually not. If somebody moves a tool from where I left it I'm toast, can't do anything. This is borderline unplayable.

Same here. It's a shame though, the game is nice but invisible objects and players ruin everything

#6 2018-03-12 20:50:38

Joriom
Website

I spent my entire game as kid, then teenager in a village sitting next to fire to preserver food untill I can store more calories. Never left fireplace except for the buggy last seconds. First time i ventured away from fire more than 1 tile away - was to get food. 5 tiles away from fire, just outside my field of vision - was a carrot on a ground. Tried to pick it up - could not. Picked up bowl next to it and tried to place it on ground - it "replaced" the phantom carrot. Died out of starvation right after that - back on the fire spot.

TL;DR:
Bug is not long-distance related. It appeared 4-6 tiles away from me (exact point of time unknown).
Game recording of this single short session on very small area (+ some inactivity on main screen before and after) can be found here:
http://joriom.pl/ohol/report/phantom_carrot.txt
Recording time finish: 2018-03-12, 21:42 CET (UTC+1)
Bug occured around 21:20 CEST
Official server 3
Last ~20 minutes or recording are idle time in menu (white writing report) before closing client to rename file.

Last edited by Joriom (2018-03-12 20:58:23)

Board footer