One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-05 13:15:53

FeignedSanity

Can we please cool it with the deserts?

Yes, yes, yes, we can all agree that deserts are an amazing god send from Jason himself to crutch starting civs into easy street with perfect temperature tiles; but can we stop building stuff in them? Or at least stop making fires and houses.

You people are cooking yourselves, and Jason forbid you put any clothes on. At that point, you're basically standing on the surface of the sun. It's so annoying to momentarily stand in someone's desert house, or on a desert fire, then ding, ding, dead. Dead in four seconds flat. Like damn, that's an annoying mechanic.

I don't know if most people know this, but overheating doesn't have a cap. And if it does, it's certainly high enough to wear it's basically irrelevant. If you have a hat and a loincloth, and stand on a desert fire while waiting for your coals (to make pads, cook food, or anything else), you will die very, very quickly. And yes, putting down wooden floors just makes the desert even hotter.

I don't know if many people know this, but it's been bothering me for the longest time. I'm going to do my best to be more aware and maybe even rip up some desert floors, but I just figured I'd share and get in a little bit of griping (because that's most of what the forum is anyway tongue ...well, that, and trolling hmm  )

(Yes I am a little miffed I just insta died because someone I was showing dying to put the fires in the desert, (next to the sheep pen and forge) and I got side tracked with a question and forgot I was standing on the fire. I reach into my backpack and it's not my pie, it's my alum T.T And don't judge me, we've all done it XD )

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2018-08-05 13:36:57

Neo

Re: Can we please cool it with the deserts?

I think stone flooring actually cools you down. But I don't think it does much and it's expensive.

#3 2018-08-05 13:50:40

MultiLife

e8Iw3g0.png
cries
...now we just need bear rugs, bonfires and clothes.

I THINK people start making smithing and baking areas deep into deserts due to the vast space and usually no clutter. Then they stay deep in deserts. Then nobody moves the darn places and people cook themselves.
I've seen babies run into desert bonfires. And some moms put kids on wooden floors with bear rugs on desert WITH A BONFIRE.
Maybe we could use a "blush" texture that shows sweatdrops and redness or something to show newbies that your character is boiling there.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-08-06 07:56:32)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-08-05 16:44:44

Turnipseed

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#5 2018-08-05 22:25:10

pein

technically you should only use the 2 side edges of a desert, the perfect ones are half-half normal and desert tiles (4 out of 8 is desert)
we could technically build a pen in middle of deserts or block it with graves

tiles are bad, they keep a lot of heat inside and draw out from other tiles, so its just making it worse
a fire should never really go on desert or next to desert, it can kill babies fast, welp they kinda deserve it if they stay inside it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-08-05 23:45:07

FeignedSanity

@neo

Oh really? I'm fairly certain they don't, but I suppose I've never really paid attention. Not very often you get stone floors, mostly just walls.

@multilife

Oh yes, then it'll be perfect. Add a nice rub and some sauce, delicious XD

And I know why people do it, but that's a bit of what this post is supposed to be, just a bit of education for people who may not know. I usually don't post anything unless there's at least 3 reasons to do so. And while there's many things that can be done gameplay wise to help with this, I'm fairly certain this wont be on Jason's radar any time soon, if ever. It'll be pretty much up to the experienced players to take things into their own hands. I've thought about going around destroying desert stuff and rebuilding it out of the desert, but not only does it seem not worth the trouble, it's also usually not an issue for me. But I think this was the final straw, it's now officially my problem lol.

And yes, I've had my mom put me on a desert, bear skin bonfire. Then when I try to move, she puts me right back, calls me a dumbass, and threatens to let me starve if I don't stay O.o That's enough to drive someone shooty <.< >.>

@turnipseed

Yeah, I saw this, but I don't really agree. I don't think that there should be heat reducing clothing because then you're just taking away the downside of the desert without touching the upside. It's already broken as is, it should have some counter balance. My problem is that the counter balance is just so damn annoying. I would be okay with heat reducing clothing if something like, all half desert tiles get full desert heat.

@pein

Well of course, that is all true. I don't think anyone is disputing any of that. Except maybe for the part where babies deserve to die, that might get some controversy. This is the forum after all XD

#7 2018-08-06 01:17:03

Morti

RXrqDsx.png

#8 2018-08-06 05:50:59

FeignedSanity

*sigh*

I never once suggested that people need to live in colder climates. My very first fucking sentence is acknowledging how strong and useful they are. I don't hold it against you, because that's to be expected from the forum. Just to reiterate, I'm merely suggesting that people stop building houses and fires in the desert. If you're going to build them, build them outside of the desert.

Now if you ask me if I'd like people to stop using deserts all together, then I'd say yes. I personally enjoy consistency, but I don't expect people to do this, nor do I suggest it.

Also, in the picture, she's not entirely in the desert. You'd probably need to be two tiles further in to feel the full effect. But thank you for the maths.

#9 2018-08-06 07:44:20

MultiLife

Yes, this area is not the worst, the stuff I was pointing out is
RKhrBQi.png
This, and the fact that many (newer?) people tend to hoard clothes on themselves along with placing bear rugs on these wooden floors.

Ofc we love the deserts but I think the thread is trying to point out how people boil themselves in deserts. I didn't know personally that the hot temperature could be worse than cold ("I don't know if most people know this, but overheating doesn't have a cap. And if it does, it's certainly high enough to wear it's basically irrelevant.") so it is certainly something to be aware of from now on. I've seen many smiths with clothes on in a desert smithing/cooking station... myself included.
The cooking stations should at least be situated at the edges of the desert, not like it is in my picture: the bottom oven is quite alright, I'd have put it a bit to the right.
And the smithing area in the picture is fine (if the smiths go naked) although the floors are really not needed.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-08-06 08:00:58)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2018-08-06 15:39:33

Lotus

The tutorial explains overheating, but it seems all of the newbies want full clothes in a desert. Why? To... look cool? To hide your shame? Just get the no nudity mod.

It’s costing to build a house in the desert, too... even if it is bad, people continue to build them for appeal in regards to looks and a display of advancement.

#11 2018-08-06 16:00:17

Turnipseed

Lotus wrote:

The tutorial explains overheating, but it seems all of the newbies want full clothes in a desert. Why? To... look cool? To hide your shame? Just get the no nudity mod.

It’s costing to build a house in the desert, too... even if it is bad, people continue to build them for appeal in regards to looks and a display of advancement.

Somehow people make it through the tutorial, and dont know how to eat....

Seriously people.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#12 2018-08-07 09:32:18

FeignedSanity

Lotus wrote:

Does it really? I, of course, made it through the tutorial and don't recall anything about overheating. Actually, come to think of it, I think it did say something about taking your clothes off in the desert; but I don't think it really states how dangerous it is, just that you probably shouldn't do it. Maybe it should specify that there is no heat cap, because the current meter gives off the impression that there is a reasonable heat limit (which there isn't).

As to why they want to wear full clothes in the desert, aside from ignorance, is probably the same reason I do. I like to spend time roaming the city. I usually don't like to squat in one spot for an hour, and you'll often go from desert back to non desert. Quite often I spend most of my time outside of the desert, so clothing is a plus. However, it's a big hassle to take your clothes off every time you go in the desert, just to put them back on when you leave; especially if you're doing a lot of back and forth. That, coupled with the danger of having your clothes stolen (which will happen), is why I tend to always have my clothes on; even when I travel to the desert.

And I know people will do whatever they want in the name of aesthetics, but I'm just going about making sure they are aware of the risks. I've already come up with plans to counter these things, so I'm set on my end. I just wanted to make the issue known.

#13 2018-08-07 09:43:25

FeignedSanity

MultiLife wrote:

Ofc we love the deserts but I think the thread is trying to point out how people boil themselves in deserts. I didn't know personally that the hot temperature could be worse than cold ("I don't know if most people know this, but overheating doesn't have a cap. And if it does, it's certainly high enough to wear it's basically irrelevant.") so it is certainly something to be aware of from now on. I've seen many smiths with clothes on in a desert smithing/cooking station... myself included. [...] the floors are really not needed.

And that is part of the reason for the post. I'm sure a lot of even more experienced players aren't aware of this, because the current bar makes it seems like once you hit the far right, it's not going to get any worse.

As a general rule, it is generally better to be hot than cold. If I remember correctly, the same amount in the cold burns more hunger than the exact same measure of heat, but you can only get so cold. However you can keep stacking up heat until you're burning something like one hunger bar per second, or even more.

And the floors are not just unnecessary, they are actually a detriment. You put a floor on a desert tile and you're just burning up more food.

#14 2018-08-07 12:14:26

pein

cool deserts? eat ice cream

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2018-08-07 20:00:39

Lily

I think the real reason people wear clothing in deserts is because it is a pain to strip naked, and if you drop your clothing someone might steal them. Most of them probably plan on leaving the desert at some point to go do other stuff, and they want the clothes for that.

In a way it makes sense. If you overheat at your home base, you likely have a lot of food near by so you can eat more without too much difficulty. However, in the wilderness it can be hard to find food and you might only have what you can carry. So having clothing is critical. It isn't the most efficient in the long run but from the perspective of survival it makes sense to wear clothing in the desert and eat more food while at home, so that you eat less in areas with less food. And we all know, if a person drops their clothing there is a high chance someone will take it.

I am not saying it is a good thing to be like that, however it is very understandable.

#16 2018-08-07 22:15:02

Jk Howling

Just had a life where an uncle decked me out in full clothes, then my mother tried to place me on a slow burning fire in the middle of a patch of desert... She kept complaining about me "moving around too much" and urged me to boil in the fire lmao. She even named me "Crazy" because of my constant movement [AKA me moving back to a nearby desert edge tile.]

Eventually she stopped trying to move me into the fire, not sure if saying "to/ho/t" got the point across though.. Hard to explain in clipped baby speech.

People really need to be more aware of heat. A slow burning fire in the middle of a desert with a full set of rabbit clothes is WAY too hot.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-08-07 22:18:29)

-Has ascended to better games-

#17 2018-08-08 01:59:55

pein

i had a dumb mother too, we had a fire, no desert, she wear almost full clothes, she wanted to starve me cause i stood in fire on medium temperature and she had medium near the fire
like seriously

Board footer