One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-29 21:15:21

startafight

ideas for different pens

half wall stone pens to keep sheep in (ones that look nice)

a gate that can be opened like a door (but at the size of a half wall pen - which is half the height of a normal wall/door)

low fences that keep babies and geese (and rabbits if we can domesticate em someday) trapped in but allows adults to pass over just fine

cages made of iron (this doesnt serve any purpose but if i can put a baby in a cage i'll be happy with working the 59 years leading up to it)

#2 2018-07-29 21:29:59

TheRedBug

Re: ideas for different pens

Instead of using filled trash pits or home markers to prevent sheeps from entering a tile corner and fleeing, i like to put a berry bush, so that if the shepherd needs food asap, he can munch on a berry before looking for more food

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-07-29 22:41:37

pein

yes, i make front doors or side ones, with a berry bush and a door
you might seen some of them lately
pits could have a connected effect like tiles near walls do, so they would look like a castle moat
age restricted walls would be nice, but kinda easy to abuse, but yeah baby gates would be needed

iron walls and carts, cages, would be nice

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-07-30 05:44:09

Neo

I miss fences, If only we could make a fence gate that sheeps couldn't pass.

Also if they aren't as griefable.

I just wish we didn't need to build such ugly pens.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-30 05:44:59)

#5 2018-07-30 06:34:39

startafight

Neo wrote:

yeah i dont like how easily broken current pens are. make a normal pen n it can just be opened, make a pit pen and it can be filled. thats why i want a new semi-permanent stone "fence" (half-wall) that needs a pickax to be broken

edit: we could probably use the bell tower bases like what the other post suggested but theyre so ugly......... sad

Last edited by startafight (2018-07-30 06:38:46)

#6 2018-07-30 07:30:07

Neo

startafight wrote:
Neo wrote:

yeah i dont like how easily broken current pens are. make a normal pen n it can just be opened, make a pit pen and it can be filled. thats why i want a new semi-permanent stone "fence" (half-wall) that needs a pickax to be broken

edit: we could probably use the bell tower bases like what the other post suggested but theyre so ugly......... sad

Jason's gotta give us some proper pen building stuff that's actually secure. I'm pretty sure stone fences are well within the current tech level.

Until then we gotta make do with ugly ass pens.

#7 2018-07-30 07:44:57

Acozi

Should make it so you need a shovel to remove fence, not just grab. Then make gates that players can walk through and sheep cant.

#8 2018-07-30 09:24:26

AnobeseWalrus

can you imagine the parenting overhaul with baby jails?

#9 2018-07-30 10:22:09

Neo

AnobeseWalrus wrote:

can you imagine the parenting overhaul with baby jails?

Probably less suicides, They could still DC but it's less convinient for them especially if they get born to you several times.

Possibly less child deaths if you leave them in there for a bit. Too many of my kids run off at 3 and starve, keep them in there and provide them with food or just force feed them if your good with timing.

Also could be used to safely dispose of unwanted babies. Simply throw them in with no food. Would be even better to have a room with a bear or snake trapped inside, throw them in and they automatically die.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-30 10:23:55)

#10 2018-07-31 07:37:24

pein

you can make pedo pens, with teleports, just make sure you fix the pits with a leaf or rabbit bone if you throw them so others cant free them easily
and have a half adobe, so you can test with decaying things -leaf or lamb, so then works 100% with baby throwing
basically teleports to closest empty tile, so you need to fill every other tile near it  45 degree both ways, but make it not so easily recognizable
if you push baby to a wall on right, gonna fly into pit on left, so opposite direction, but as far as i seen at least 90 degree, only if much closer, flies to same direction
once bones are there it might not be usable so well

so need a way to clear it

i present to you the ultimate pedopen
S3KAJzs.png

the brown ones are door or grave with stone
you place a stone from inside and close it, no one can click to open diagonally from outside, so even a kid stuck inside for right door, not just a baby
the left is against parents to block them, they try saving the kid, if she enters to pick up kid, you can close on them both
no lock needed, doors are better you can click it, stone needs an empty tile inside to take down when you go out, right one only needs to be removed when they dead
the red arrow points to a teleporter wall/pit, you can push a baby to it, and gonna throw it into L shape pit, with no exit, just make sure you fill red spots with some items, basically everything around the pit
not fully sure if would anytime throw trough a wall, but might happen

havent really found the most simple or optimal form for it, just combined two designs
feel free to make it smaller and more compact

it takes 5 min to set up with pits
you can use the sheep pen bottom or top too just make sure is full of lambs, dung or sheep, so they wont end up in there

you can also convert a pen, by closing it with a door the only entrance and blocking all other, locking it

of course this can be used for parenting too, find a good spot, dig it around, throw kid inside, tell them to stay, you lock it from outside
then later you go inside and feed
or have someone feed all inside and release them as a kid

or enslave a girl and throw her food, if she stays inside, then she has kids and you got an ant colony

doesnt need to be evil purpose, you can dig a big pen and plant berry inside, someone could teach them how to fix berry
and how to sustain composting, baskets and bucket can be thrown inside

also you can make a teleporter both sides, and prisoners need to throw out finished product for getting out, or just make a box with lid
for easy exchange

i try to show ingame screenshots or make better blueprints, last tiem i threw 3 kids, one was mine, one had hair one was from fire and maybe afk
they stood there on 3 different spots and a mom chased me with a knife xD was so bad town, so many bones, and some cultist bs so i had to have some fun

Last edited by pein (2018-07-31 07:38:56)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer