One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-27 19:30:37

willfrank84

Let all sons starve?

I am sure this has been suggested before but don't you maximize the chances of a town living if you let all sons starve? If you have a town of 6 people and 2 are fertile females then a grief only needs to kill 2. But if all are female and maybe 4 are fertile some will survive especially if they fight back or run away for a time.

There are only like 3 servers to pick from so when they try to get reborn there is a decent chance they will come back if they want. There is a danger of grudge holders though. I been abandoned before and plotted against my mom who had enough food in my next life lol.

Last edited by willfrank84 (2018-07-27 19:31:21)

#2 2018-07-27 19:43:07

startafight

Re: Let all sons starve?

we had a time where ppl would make "amazon" tribes and kill off all the boys. the problem with that is that some ppl would hide away the boys and start wars, but thats just good rp i guess. also ull be killing off a lot of decent players, even if they come back as girls they prolly wont wanna stick around and help.

also too many girls always leads to a population boom that will always lead to starvation and the extinction of the line.

also with the new adoption feature a lot more ppl will take on sons that u abandon. i guess u could stab em all but then someone will prolly kill u.

either way, having sons has a lot of benefits. you should have both boys and girls to create a functional society

#3 2018-07-27 20:05:49

Turnipseed

Sons can be very useful. I used to be in the abandon all boys group, but unless food is super scarce a few boys will be a great asset to the town.

But if you have a lazy player as a boy they are 100%useless and should be killed.  At least lazy girls can have/take care of kids..

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2018-07-27 20:32:22

CynderR

On mobile there are no boys, its interesting....
I gotta say, only having girls has its benefits. Problem is, you cant really send a fertile girl out with a cart or a basket to gather supplies from distant areas without her having to leave her children to die or taking forever to come back.
Nice thing about being a boy is you don't get interrupted, time critical job's are easier to not mess up and you take up a little less food with no birth tax.

Still these jobs can just be saved for the older ladies (like gathering ore, rabbits, dyes and Skins)

#5 2018-07-27 20:37:13

Acozi

It was popular for a time to kill boys, but boys are good too. They're population control and can get shit done. Boys can take a backpack and cart and resupply an entire town without having babies. Sure, women can too but babies are a burden.

Males also control populations. Females are necessary but having too many can cause famine!

#6 2018-07-27 21:29:56

PunkyFickle

I most probably do not represent the meta in that regard, but for Eve/early settlements, my strategy revolves around keeping only one girl (or two if I feel that the first one behaves riskily) and a bunch of boys set (mostly) on food gathering duty. I tell my daughter to never leave the camp and to take no risk, as her brothers and I forage and have keeping her alive as our top priority, while she focuses on smithing/farming (if she can, otherwise, I get the smithing going), eventually popping babies and surviving. One pro of that is that even though the initial population is high (5-6 people in an average Eve camp quickly pump out the food resources around it), gen 3 is kept small, while I often experience mass starving as the farm starts to run and people assume that foraging is not a necessity anymore. Plus, the very existence of this gen is pretty much certain, provided the girl is obedient and/or smart enough, whereas the usual way consists of having your children run around randomly and wishing that those who survive happen to be girls.

Of course, this strategy relies a bit on the fact that people are a minimum dedicated and hard working, but only a few actually lazy people would choose to stay/would survive in an Eve camp.
I had a few lineage jump to the next steps (e.g. survive to generation 6-7 at least) with that strategy, which proves that it is viable if not good.

#7 2018-07-27 22:53:00

Catfive

The boys are easily as valuable as the females. The fact they never have to stop to look after the kids means they can be Very productive, often being able to run the farms while cooking for example.
A dedicated smith with an assigned 'apprentice' is permanently on hand for all needed tools and making storage items like crates and carts. If he's male he can keep a large town permanently supplied with all tools and in time carts for all areas. Again I'd set that to a male and male child as he will be busy and the apprentice can go collect the iron/kindling while learning the trade or waiting to take over the role.

#8 2018-07-28 01:08:11

Anshin

Currently with the server cap so low, "girls only" makes sense for now. I've started so many wonderful camps just to have them die out because I had only two kids and they were both boys. Sad.

#9 2018-07-28 01:09:31

Neo

I think early on its better to starve boys, Gotta ensure that a daughter survives. In the past when I've played as an Eves son it usually results in all my sisters starving.

You can do the amazon until you've got a good setup for a sustainable town. After that your boys will probably be the ones making tools, sheep and hunting. All while your girls say "all boys are slaves" while sitting around doing nothing but having kids and running around with a bow playing prison guard.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-28 01:30:26)

#10 2018-07-28 01:25:27

Anshin

Hopefully the get reborn immediately as girls.

EDIT: I do hope the optimization works so we can get large server populations again. I like playing as a boy.

Last edited by Anshin (2018-07-28 01:26:53)

#11 2018-07-28 02:10:21

Turnipseed

Anshin wrote:

Hopefully the get reborn immediately as girls.

EDIT: I do hope the optimization works so we can get large server populations again. I like playing as a boy.

Me too, but ive been suiciding as a boy recently

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#12 2018-07-28 06:22:08

pein

i hate when i got 8 sisters, the whole town goes into mess very fricking soon

the more advanced a civilization is the better have more boys and a few decent girls, the only time i prefer girls is as eve in medium green biome
you got food for 4 people, including you, so a son eats all bushes your daughters will starve

even people with mediocre skills can do big projects as man, but mess up everything as woman and die
once i seen 7 bros and 1 sister, she grown up and had like 2 girls, and we were making rooms, had all tools and sheep by mid gen2, we died out, but its not that you need 9 girls, you might need 3 or 4 fertile ones at a time, or you will end up with a lot of dead kids and griefers

i enjoy much more playing as man, and i enjoy cities with only a few woman, especially as a girl, other woman are rivals technically, as nobody takes care of you and you still need to care of your kids, there is no benefit of 3-4 same age womans

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-07-28 20:53:13

Star

I tend to just keep it even, Boys (if knowing what they are doing) can work well, without the distraction of babies. As stated above. While girls can work and continue the line.

Bob <3

#14 2018-07-28 23:24:58

Lotus

Two words.

Reborn. Revenge.

#15 2018-07-29 00:21:20

willfrank84

Lotus. That's why you gotta pretend you don't see the boys are starving. Make em think you see afk and not knowingly murdering them. Also don't tell them right away you see letting them starve as they might try to find a bear cave with their limited life ?

#16 2018-07-30 04:37:47

Lily

I say every person is worth keeping, because you never know who is going to end up dead. People die all the time and you increase the chances of people surviving by having more people around. If the boy is a newbie and clueless they will probably die anyway, and it works it self out. If the boy is a pro, then you are killing a pro player who could of advanced your city. Someone who could feed several of the girls and protect them.

Board footer