One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-26 21:52:12

Stepping_Razor

Berries are over, they hurt colony water&food multipliers when spammed

Berries should only be used to stack multiplier.

here are a few easy things to get your food multiplier in this order of food if possible
(edit ) order of food has changed as it is a flat increase of +#. If you were to eat a popcorn whit a high multiplier, it would actually give you alot more food than it would normally give in forms of a +# above your food bars. It will come down to how long you really want to sustain given that food intake.  i still think it will be best when adult to have a high multiplier and then say consume an egg, or something that fills your bars completely.  This will in turn give you full food, plus the additional +#. the +# also stacks if you consume multiple yum without filling your bar regular bar. my bad is see the dude say, lots of small things later allowed him for +53 bonus quite awesome if you ask me.

popcorn
berry by hand
berry from bowl
onion
wild carrot
carrot
shucked corn
Burdock
Yuca aka cactus fruit.
carrot pie
rabbit pie
stew
egg
etc the list goes on

this would give a you a 12x multiplier which is pretty damn good, wish more people would realize how important food multiplier is, and how much easier the game is once you reach that high multiplier.

Last edited by Stepping_Razor (2018-07-30 01:33:28)

#2 2018-07-26 21:53:06

TheRedBug

Re: Berries are over, they hurt colony water&food multipliers when spammed

You said twice the egg
Fake news

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-07-26 21:53:43

Stepping_Razor

already edited heh you were quick.

#4 2018-07-26 21:54:50

TheRedBug

What is yuca? You ment cactus fruits?

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#5 2018-07-26 21:55:09

Anshin

The yuca is a lie.

#6 2018-07-26 22:14:08

Stepping_Razor

multiplier is not a lie.

grow up.

#7 2018-07-26 23:07:53

Stepping_Razor

when wikipedia applies to the game you are playing.

Nutritional status

Higher cognitive functioning develops better in an environment with adequate nutrition,[32] and diets deficient in iron, zinc, protein, iodine, B vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium and other nutrients can result in lower intelligence[33][34] either in the mother during pregnancy or in the child during development. While these inputs did not have an effect on the evolution of intelligence they do govern its expression. A higher intelligence could be a signal that an individual comes from and lives in a physical and social environment where nutrition levels are high, whereas a lower intelligence could imply a child, its mother, or both, come from a physical and social environment where nutritional levels are low. Previc emphasizes the contribution of nutritional factors, especially meat and shellfish consumption, to elevations of dopaminergic activity in the brain, which may have been responsible for the evolution of human intelligence since dopamine is crucial to working memory, cognitive shifting, abstract, distant concepts, and other hallmarks of advanced intelligence.[35]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution … telligence last paragraph at the bottom.

#8 2018-07-26 23:13:49

YAHG

It is not a multiplier, it is a flat bonus that grows.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#9 2018-07-26 23:44:12

Tarr
Banned

I mean we've pretty much talked this topic to death. Diversity is key to eating less overall. Unfortunately newer players have issues with eating things and making sure to eat different things. If you have ever watched newer OHOL streamers you will notice how they'll miss the little things (stew crocks, burdock, shucking corn.) You need easy to eat food for young people and new players or they keel over like flies.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2018-07-26 23:48:47

Stepping_Razor

YAHG wrote:

It is not a multiplier, it is a flat bonus that grows.

i appreciate the clarification i am fairly new owned about a week a week and half, i guess because i was standing on good temp tile  basically all the time, and moving with that temp until i find my goal grab the item, then move back to temp. i must have gotten the multiplier confused with the major benefit from perfect temp.

also as much as i want to take your word for it, i will have to do some testing.

cheerio and thanks for reply

Last edited by Stepping_Razor (2018-07-26 23:50:37)

#11 2018-07-27 06:15:40

Matbat

While I do like going full try hard YUM sometimes and getting 20 by the end of life isn't so tough I'd like to give some counter arguments, they aren't much but something to consider.

1. Preparation: It can take a lot of time to prepare some foods before hand to eat for yourself, and if you don't have a backpack things you were planning to eat for yourself they're going to be eaten by some non-yummer before you can get to it.

2. Time: Sometimes being focused on making sure what you need to eat next and gathering it, like finding wild onion or burdock far from an advanced civ, can use up time you could have used attempting to better a civ.

3. Too much food!: There are some civs with way too much food!(Like advanced civs where everything has been done) wherein using YUM has potential to hurt the civ rather than help it! (like unprocessed food everywhere taking up space, sometimes you have to be the one to eat it all up)

Lastly, I'm sure you know and that the list you gave was for early civs (which can't really spare the time to specifically eat all that food because they're too busy running around doing work) but considering you have stew there thats around steel tool time, you may want to put potatoes up there! they're great YUM snacks. (basically free +2 multiplier, which again I'm sure you already know.)

#12 2018-07-27 09:46:24

Alleria

+1 to Matbat. Great post.

53 yum bonus - enough calories so that you won't need to eat for 23 minutes. In fact, I didn't have to eat for the rest of my life!

unknown.png

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#13 2018-07-27 11:14:07

pein

now we will have more culinar artists like honeybunny who can reach 10 yum bonus, feed the settlement with 3 pies, establish a secret order no one knows about, fill a pit under 40 years or make a stew under 35

seriously guys, just plant more, you gonna switch 4-5 foods and then over and over

eating simulator just got even more fucked up, its a mean to an end not the main thing of the game
get a pie, eat it, later eat one more, get some clothes and kinda same thing, its easy to produce food

if you wanna kill nabs by not having berry, might be good idea but kills some others too in the process

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-07-27 11:48:36

Alleria

pein wrote:

...establish a secret order no one knows about...

seriously guys, just plant more, you gonna switch 4-5 foods and then over and over

A good baker will provide at least 6 yums, and with your other regular foods like carrot, cactus, corn, and berry, that's an easy 12 yums, the equivalent of 78 EASILY obtained calories.

Depending how much and what work you do, yum can easily make up more than 60% of your caloric intake.

Sure, food diversity means reduced efficiency for both the consumer and the food maker, AND you are incentivised to produce usually suboptimal foods (like eating carrot), BUT it really doesn't take that much more effort if you're doing it right.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#15 2018-07-27 22:16:00

third.eye

Alleria wrote:

+1 to Matbat. Great post.

53 yum bonus - enough calories so that you won't need to eat for 23 minutes. In fact, I didn't have to eat for the rest of my life!

I agree, I'm at a point where eating the same thing over again doesn't even feel good anymore. ;-)

But how on earth do you get that yum bonus? Can you cycle through the same food after a while?

#16 2018-07-27 23:34:44

Matbat

third.eye wrote:

But how on earth do you get that yum bonus? Can you cycle through the same food after a while?

Having a hungry stomach and eating small foods,  like if you're starving as an adult, then you eat a popcorn, berry, bowl of berry, a baked potato, and the other half of the baked potato.  if you had like 10 YUM before that would be 60 extra food in your tummy. pretty op if you don't mind wasting food on large stuff early in life.

#17 2018-08-02 06:19:28

elpargo

just want to point out yuca is a totally different thing.

#18 2018-08-02 06:51:01

FeverDog

elpargo wrote:

just want to point out yuca is a totally different thing.

My first reaction too.  However there's yucca the tree and there's yuca the tuber.  I think the OP meant the tree.

I agree that the berry focus can ruin a town.  I'm tired of constantly either producing compost or going on soil runs because people don't know any better.  But, although I'm not entirely new to the learning curve of this game, the "yum game" is new to me and I would never have understood it without hanging out on this forum.  So in that aspect, this game models life's constant struggle against ignorance.

Maybe we need dedicated town criers/preachers who just stand around yelling slogans.  Or maybe we should be able to produce inspirational signs.

#19 2018-08-03 13:41:47

elpargo

Yes! to proper signs. I think labeling things with instructions is the best way to teach people.

#20 2018-08-04 19:39:30

Catfive

Yum is a huge playability boost. Not having to continually be rushing for food (as evidenced above by Alleria) means you can just get on playing the other parts of the game or going on long treks into the wilderness to find lost settlements/new resources.
A town with lots of food variety is a joy to base out of.

Board footer