One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-18 20:56:58

TerraSleet

Please improve bowl interaction with berry bushes

I remember a while back you used to be able to use an empty bowl on a gooseberry bush and immediately harvest the whole thing in exchange for a bowl of gooseberries. This was great. It wasn't efficient to eat but it was simple and made it easy to raise sheep and make berry pies (although back then people just grew tons of carrots instead.)

At some point that got changed and now you have to manually pick the berries and place them in the bowl one at a time. This is incredibly tedious, especially considering the current metagame of planting mass berry bushes. It also makes sheep farming a colossal grind. You have to manually pick and place 36 berries just to feed enough sheep for a single wool sweater! No wonder everyone is running around naked even in highly populated towns. The old system was better IMO and I don't see why we can't just quickly harvest bushes with an empty bowl.

#2 2018-07-18 21:04:00

Anshin

Re: Please improve bowl interaction with berry bushes

+1

#3 2018-07-18 21:15:05

denriguez

IIRC the bowl + full berry bush used to = full bowl of berries, which wasn't a container and couldn't be eaten from (?). Or maybe it was a one-time-use food. I agree that picking is a grind, but I think the auto-pick would make bowls really prone to griefing.

#4 2018-07-18 21:18:10

Anshin

How? Auto pick plus the current eat one at a time mechanic is great!
Berries in bowls don't decay, so nothing is lost and convenience is gained.

#5 2018-07-18 21:44:22

TheRedBug

I like the berry bushes and bowl right Now...
You have to pick berries, just like irl... have you ever picked berries in the wild? They are so small and it's tiedeous, takes a long time and you don't have much....

So much better than just placing a bowl on a bush and magically berries auto harvest themselves and gets into the bowl

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#6 2018-07-18 21:54:38

Anshin

We don't weave every individual reed into a basket or play a knitting simulator to make a sweater.
How does shearing a sweater make it into an apron anyway???
Things have to be speed things up a bit if we are ever going to get anywhere up the tech tree.

#7 2018-07-18 22:57:07

Luniatji

You forgot one thing: Back in the days that bowl on the bush works- and yes, that was one bite and gone- there were five berries. There are now seven or eight on one bush; beside that, the full bowl takes one berry less. So if there are eight berries on bush, its seven in the bowl. It would be wasting of food to use the bowl on the bush.

#8 2018-07-18 23:15:13

Ti

Yeah, it's 7 in the bowl, 8 on the bush.

Having picked actual berries recently, I can tell you it is a GRIND. What I would prefer would be the ability to load up a berry picking basket with say, multiple bowls worth of berries and then click on that with an empty bowl to fill the bowl. Then you can store baskets full of berries nearby the sheep and it's a bit more convenient.

#9 2018-07-19 06:18:47

pein

its 6 in bowl 7 on bush and made me want to kill the ones who ate a full bowl
i did kill some of them but they just didnt care
since berry was 1 hour reload people barely planted new but the 8 min reload made it much viable even with the slight nerf of wool clothes

the only hard thing about filling bowl that there is no empty space inside the bushes, so i gonna dig out space as plus signs for cistern bucket bowl soil
other than that anyone could make an apron under ten minutes

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-07-19 07:40:28

TerraSleet

pein wrote:

its 6 in bowl 7 on bush and made me want to kill the ones who ate a full bowl
i did kill some of them but they just didnt care
since berry was 1 hour reload people barely planted new but the 8 min reload made it much viable even with the slight nerf of wool clothes

the only hard thing about filling bowl that there is no empty space inside the bushes, so i gonna dig out space as plus signs for cistern bucket bowl soil
other than that anyone could make an apron under ten minutes

I didn't say it was hard to harvest berries, I said that it was slow and tedious. When you only have 1 hour and every minute counts in terms of keeping yourself and your family alive, picking a bunch of berries one by one to feed sheep no longer becomes worth it because you have to spend a large chunk of your life doing it. With the old system I could grab a cart with 4 bowls, go to the berry farm, fill up in a few seconds and be on my way to the carrot farm. Now it takes at least a minute to fill a bowl cart with berries and that's if you're being totally time efficient. This is even more apparent now that sheep have more uses than they used to (dung for compost, balls of thread for needles, more recently sterile rags for healing wounds)

#11 2018-07-19 08:18:25

pein

well teach kids
more reloads on bush is better than more bushes
berry in bowl different than berry on bush, both give yum bonus after each other
storage worth 10 min of your life

i find raising babies tedious, they mostly dont even pay attention to tour and telling what the city needs

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-07-19 17:25:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The current problem is that the bush holds more than the bowl, so I can't just transfer the remaining uses from the bowl to the bush.  I.e., if you use the bowl on a half-full bush, you should get a half-full bowl, right?

I'll look into it, though.

#13 2018-07-19 17:36:31

YAHG

For
0-5 Berries in bowl and
1-7 Berries on the domestic bush +
1-6 on the Wild

6*(7+6) = 78 interactions. Watch my math be wrong smile

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#14 2018-07-19 23:28:46

Luniatji

I think the real problem is that there isn't much room in the massive berry farms we have right now.. I don't care to pick berries one by one, but when there is only one bush with berries left and that is in the middle of the field, it is annoying. But well, I lost most time by finding carrots and shooing people from eating them..

#15 2018-07-20 07:44:28

TerraSleet

jasonrohrer wrote:

The current problem is that the bush holds more than the bowl, so I can't just transfer the remaining uses from the bowl to the bush.  I.e., if you use the bowl on a half-full bush, you should get a half-full bowl, right?

I'm not even close to a professional coder, but what about this psuedocode:

if (bowl = EmptyBowl & bush.uses > 0) //if bowl is empty, turn it into a gooseberry bowl with 1 berry
bowl = BowlOfGooseberries
bowl.uses++
bush.uses--

while(bush.uses > 0 & bowl.uses < 6) //add berries until bowl is full or bush is empty
{
   bowl.uses++
   bush.uses--
}

Last edited by TerraSleet (2018-07-20 07:45:36)

#16 2018-07-26 05:01:26

elpargo

jasonrohrer wrote:

Is it a simple math question no?

berries_to_take = size_of_bowl - current_bowl_count

if berries_in_tree > berries_to_take
   berries_to_take = berries_to_take - berries_to_take
   berries_in_bowl += berries_to_take
else
   Berries_in_tree = 0
   berries_in_bowl += berries_to_take

hehehe not so simple. But basically empty the tree if it's less than 6 berries or else removes as many berries as the bowl is missing.

Board footer