One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-22 19:17:31

dlajosr
New User

people really need to relax geez

People, you really need to tone it down a bit, not everyone who makes a weapon is a griefer.

Yesterday I helped a settlement get on its feet. I helped them make the farm, brought seeds and eggs and even had a baby girl. But I wanted to kill some bears that were nearby and were endangering our community so I made a bow and I put it there in plain view for all to see that I was making that bow so no one would think I was going to kill anybody. So I prepared my bow and my featherless arrows and I went to gather some goose feathers that I needed but then I come back and I find two people (one holding my arrows and the other one holding my bow) calling me a griefer, saying that I had stolen some axe and saying they were going to kill me. Then they start chasing me around the camp and finally kill me with a vengeance for something that I did not do.

All in all, I just want you people to know that it's getting out of hand. I know there are griefers, I know we all hate them, but NOT EVERYONE WHO MAKES A WEAPON IS A GRIEFER, especially if they have helped out around the settlement.

Ridiculous and utterly disgusting attitude from some of you, you can't judge someone before he commits a crime.

Last edited by dlajosr (2018-07-22 19:37:39)

#2 2018-07-22 19:33:43

sc0rp

Re: people really need to relax geez

dlajosr wrote:

People, you really need to tone it down a bit, not everyone who makes a weapon is a griefer.

Yesterday I helped a settlement get on its feet. I helped them make the farm, brought seeds and eggs and even had a baby girl. But I wanted to kill some bears that were nearby and were endangering our community so I made a bow and I put it there in plain view for all to see that I was making that bow so no one would think I was going to kill anybody. So I prepared my bow and my featherless arrows and I when to gather some goose feathers that I needed but then I come back and I find two people (one holding my arrows and the other one holding my bow) calling me a griefer, saying that I had stolen some axe and saying they were going to kill me. Then they start chasing me around the camp and finally kill me with a vengeance for something that I did not do.

You were borderline griefing, in fact.  Completely unitnentionally, but still.  What usually happens if you leave armed bow in plain view, is some bored kid sooner or later picks it up, runs around village and kills somebody, saying fake "Sorry I didn't mean to".  And then you need to steal an arrow and spend 10 minutes searching for milkweed to make a bow to kill him.  And then, because it took a while since original killing, you're often accused to be griefer and dispatched by somebody else.

It's not wrong that you've made a bow.  It's necessary.  It's wrong that you left it in plain view.  Go hide it somewhere or keep all arrows in backpack.  Would you leave armed gun in your kid's room?  And when your son kills your lil daughter, would you call him a griefer?

#3 2018-07-22 20:24:15

kubassa
Banned

sc0rp wrote:

You were borderline griefing, in fact.

What an idiot. Kids like this are the true griefing assholes.

I got huge ballz.

#4 2018-07-22 20:43:55

sc0rp

kubassa wrote:

Hi moderators!  You delete spam accounts from forum, right?  Could you delete a troll account as well?  Just look at his post history.  Name calling people all day long.

#5 2018-07-22 20:52:19

Turnipseed

sc0rp wrote:
kubassa wrote:

Hi moderators!  You delete spam accounts from forum, right?  Could you delete a troll account as well?  Just look at his post history.  Name calling people all day long.

Pretty pleaseee!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#6 2018-07-22 21:44:20

pein

one does not simply leave a bow or run around in middle of city

Last edited by pein (2018-07-22 21:44:32)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-07-22 21:57:49

Berry Good

I actually witnessed the matriarch of the village question OP regarding missing steel tools and the fact that she was making a bow.

OP responded by repeatedly saying, "F*ck You!" to the matriarch.

Because OP was building a bow and screaming "F*ck You!", I think the matriarch was wise to label her a griefer and take the steps she thought necessary to keep the tiny eve camp safe.

Lesson: if someone asks if you're a griefer, maybe don't answer with belligerent swearing, lol.

#8 2018-07-22 22:04:32

sc0rp

Berry Good wrote:

Because OP was building a bow and screaming "F*ck You!", I think the matriarch was wise to label her a griefer and take the steps she thought necessary to keep the tiny eve camp safe.

LOL, that's explains a lot.  OP: have you indeed forgot to mention this completely irrelevant bit?

#9 2018-07-22 23:15:12

Neo

I'd say your better safe then sorry with suspicious people.

#10 2018-07-23 05:39:59

Lotus

This has happened to me before. It's annoying. Don't assume people with weapons are griefing. Someone with a knife out? They could be butchering sheep. Or passing it down to the next generation. Or killing the snake that's been haunting the village for three generations. You know what they say about assume, folks. It makes an ass out of "u" and "me."

#11 2018-07-23 09:01:58

JonySky
Website

This is called survival instinct ... if someone is creating a knife when there are still no sheep ... he is suspected of being a serial killer

When I see someone make a knife with no sense, I ask him what he wants to achieve with that weapon, if his answer I do not like I will make his life impossible ... I prefer a thousand times to die of hunger rather than a griefer

#12 2018-07-23 09:31:21

sc0rp

I've seen kid today making a bow and arrow in early 2nd gen camp.
- Bow? What for?
- To hunt.
- Hunt what?
- Bear.

Yeah, right dude...

#13 2018-07-23 09:51:09

FounderOne

Well it always depends on the situation. In some eve camps I had lots of boars and Wolfes.
Also all material for smiting were there besides a goose. So a bow would be a good thing even as eve.

But yeah it is more important to get the basics running. If they don't run you can assume it's a griefer. I just take the bow and place it somewhere else. Most of the times the smart griefers are so confused that they starve..

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#14 2018-07-23 09:55:45

sc0rp

"early 2nd gen".  You have kiln, wet bowls and no berry bush planted yet.  Just about to start fire.  Perfect moment to worry about bears.  When I saw him putting thread on skewer, at first I thought that it was a misclick.  Then he added flint tip...

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-23 10:03:24)

#15 2018-07-23 14:15:58

zennyrpg

Lotus wrote:

Don't assume people with weapons are griefing. Someone with a knife out? They could be butchering sheep. Or passing it down to the next generation.

1) Only pull your knife in the sheep pen or next to rouge sheep.
2) Walk one screen away and give it to the person in relative isolation.  Pulling and then dropping a knife in the middle of town is asking for someone unintended to run up and grab it.

If you are pulling your knife in these contexts you should be fine.

#16 2018-07-23 21:58:52

pein

also running with bow and arrow means you can shot anyone with one click, dont tell me you are a town guard, especially weapons are not for babies and noobs who cant make an apron or a pack

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2018-07-23 22:11:05

Berry Good

I can understand why new players might be compelled to build a bow and become a village hunter. In many survival-style games, hunted animals can be looted for meat, and that meat can be easily cooked and consumed as food.

In OHOL, however, many animals aren't edible. Those that are edible require at least some tech and knowledge to cook and consume. Even a simple bunny dinner is tricky! I've watched so many hungry newbies burn their bunny fillets over open fires. Poor guys.

What new players may not understand too is the PTSD suffered by veteran players, lol. I've been murdered dozens of times for being a female of child-bearing age, for being the "wrong" color, or just for fun. The longer you play, they warier you become of out-of-place behavior and weapons.

Last edited by Berry Good (2018-07-23 22:13:07)

#18 2018-07-23 22:21:13

sc0rp

Berry Good wrote:

What new players may not understand too is the PTSD suffered by veteran players, lol. I've been murdered dozens of times for being a female of child-bearing age, for being the "wrong" color, or just for fun. The longer you play, they warier you become of out-of-place behavior and weapons.

This.  In the past I couldn't care less about somebody making bow or knife.  Nowadays I just drop everything and investigate whether it's somebody sane.  I doesn't make much sense to continue doing anything else if we're about to have a blood bath in a minute.

#19 2018-07-24 00:40:04

Berry Good

@sc0rp
pamyup.gif

#20 2018-07-24 02:28:23

YAHG

Kubassa posts are the best though.. Plz no ban!

He has classic insults and never breaks character.

You have to earn your Kubassa insults, but they are always worth the effort <3

Kubassa 2020!

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#21 2018-07-24 02:51:05

startafight

if u dont have a bag putting it in a basket and carrying it around like that works too. someone in one of my camps made a knife and gave it to me but i didnt have a bag so i just carried it around in a basket looking for someone responsible to give it to. just dont open carry, especially when u havent told ppl what its for to begin with (a simple "hey, just gonna get us sheep" to the person stalking u b/c ur suspicious works for a while). i generally leave the bow outside of camp so some griefer doesnt have the chance to just swoop in while im eating

#22 2018-07-24 03:41:11

SimonK.Icyy

In the defense of some people, accidentally killing is a real thing. I remember I had an amazing life and got a lot accomplished. As I was handing over my gear to my next of kin, I accidentally killed them with my knife instead of dropping it on the floor. I felt so defeated and it felt as if my life now meant nothing because i killed the one who was going to be the future shepherd of the village.

#23 2018-07-24 06:50:10

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

Kubassa posts are the best though.. Plz no ban!

He has classic insults and never breaks character.

You have to earn your Kubassa insults, but they are always worth the effort <3

Kubassa 2020!

Yep, he is really oldskool.  Maybe we should keep him around as endangered species.  And his posts work very well as litmus test for anti-griefer solutions.  The more insults you get, the better the outcome.

#24 2018-07-24 10:48:49

YAHG

Hmmm this might be one of those times that kubassa is right. Why assume this OP is honest and not a griefer himself, seriously leaving the bow out? Running round town with the knife drawn?

All the while posting on forums

>hello fellow players
>I am not here to murder you
>Why you so uptight?
>people really need to relax geez

The point is that kubassa is right more than half the time, and he also does not give a fuck if nancy ass moral fairies agree with him or not.

This is why I love kubassa <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer