One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-21 21:10:50

maupina0
New User

Questions about setting up a private server to play with friends

Hello, I'm absolutely enthralled by this game but at the moment dont have the funds to play on official servers. not only that but i feel this would be more fun as a small community based thing at the current moment so i was wondering a few questions on setting up a private server.

1. Do i have to own an account to host a private server?

2. Can i use something like hamichi or evolve to host said private server

3. To make the server, do you have to use Linux? or is there any pre-packed server files anywhere or any tutorials out there?

Anyone who can help with this little project or could help answer my questions would be much appreciated. i also have discord if it would be easier to work along side each other.

Thank you, Alex

#2 2018-07-21 23:15:32

Uncle Gus

Re: Questions about setting up a private server to play with friends

1. The game is open source, so you can host and play it for free.

2. The easiest way is to host it on an actual Internet server but that obviously has costs involved. Hamachi should work in theory. Another option is to configure your home router to forward incoming traffic on the server port to your pc, but your ip address will change frequently.

3. It is made for Linux and as far as I know, nobody has got the server running on Windows yet, but it is not hard to get a Linux virtual machine running in Windows to host the game server.

#3 2018-07-22 08:16:57

Joriom
Website

Uncle Gus wrote:

1. The game is open source, so you can host and play it for free.

2. The easiest way is to host it on an actual Internet server but that obviously has costs involved. Hamachi should work in theory. Another option is to configure your home router to forward incoming traffic on the server port to your pc, but your ip address will change frequently.

3. It is made for Linux and as far as I know, nobody has got the server running on Windows yet, but it is not hard to get a Linux virtual machine running in Windows to host the game server.

1. @UncleGus Not true. I've compiled server for Windows in the past and it worked fine. Haven't seen anyone maintaining one to be downloaded though.

2. Hamachi works without problems. Any VPN does. Redirecting ports in home network works too.

1. You just need to change single server config file to disable account checks.

#4 2018-07-22 11:30:52

Alf

Joriom wrote:

2. Hamachi works without problems. Any VPN does. Redirecting ports in home network works too.

Isn't hamachi garbage now? I mean often when trying to set up some private servers for friends we had issues that couldn't be solved and never appeared with other programs of this sort.

Last edited by Alf (2018-07-22 11:31:05)

Board footer