One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-21 02:20:39

shmirlywhirl
New User

How do I farm carrots properly?

Really the issue is whenever I harvest them, it results in hardened tilled rows. When I see other people do it, they just get another tilled row.

Am I doing something wrong?

#2 2018-07-21 02:22:58

Turnipseed

Re: How do I farm carrots properly?

You always end up with a hardened row. You have to add a bowl of soil, and till it to get a new tilled row.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-07-21 02:41:54

WomanWizard

This is why carrots are best kept until you have sheep or steel tools. You need to add soil and till the row every time you want to plant them, and it can be a bit hard on your stone hoes.

#4 2018-07-21 06:31:52

Nopik

Most crops turn into a hardened row after harvesting. Hardened rows need one soil and one till before you can replant. These crops are carrots, corn, beans, squash, cabbage.

Other crops:
Berry bushes-After all berries are picked, must add one soil and one water or bush will die. Takes time for new berries to grow, and they will grow all at once if domestic or one at a time if wild.
Wheat-all soil disappears after harvesting. Needs two soil and one till to replace.
Seeded carrots or cabbage (didn’t get harvested on time)-same as wheat
Potatoes-are complicated. Need extra soil after planting to mature and a shovel to harvest. But after harvest, becomes hardened soil.

If you see people harvest and then have deep soil, they probably had a hoe next to the farm and tilled it so quickly you didn’t notice. When you are watching an expert do a job, it can be hard to catch all the steps.

#5 2018-07-21 06:52:56

WalrusesConquer

So which vegetables are the best for an eve? Berries or carrots?

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#6 2018-07-21 08:32:17

pennedgalaxy

WalrusesConquer wrote:

So which vegetables are the best for an eve? Berries or carrots?

Berries are good if you can get a farm going quick, they take a while to grow though (roughly twelve or so minutes before they spawn berries) so my suggestion would be do both- keep the carrots to sustain you whilst you wait for the berries to grow since carrots take 4 minutes to grow after being watered.

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#7 2018-07-21 08:55:39

Tarr
Banned

Both carrots and berries have pros and cons.

Carrots pros:

Faster food production: Once watered it only takes four minutes for these to grow out and be ready for picking. You can grow three sets of carrots in the same spot in the time it takes for a domestic berry bush to be ready for harvest again.

I heard you like pie: One plot of carrots is enough to fill five pies vs a berry bush only filling one pie and leaving a singleton berry on the bush. Cooked berry rabbit pie = Cooked carrot rabbit pie. In the early game if someone is catching rabbits making pies is a great food source for people out traveling.

Here today, gone tomorrow: Since carrots leave behind hardened soil rows when harvested you can always move your crops from one spot to another. If you're done growing carrots you can always till the row and regrow another crop in its place. It's also just as easy to move a carrot farm should water become scarce in the surrounding area.

Carrot cons:

Hoe haters: You're gonna bust a whole lot of stone hoes and skewers presteel tools if you only grow carrots. If you happen to be unlucky a stone hoe can (and will) break on it's bare minimum amount of uses for you (six). This feels terrible but maybe if you're lucky you'll hit that normal twenty uses out of it.

Hoarders: Once harvested if you do not have plenty of baskets be prepared to have a bunch of tiles filled with their presence. Each plot of carrots takes up five tiles worth of space or 1.66 baskets. I'm sure everyone has seen a whole screen dominated by their orange glow once or twice after a big harvest.

Never forgives, never forgets: Carrots go to seed after five minutes of being in their harvestable form. Should you leave dry carrot seeds in the ground to attempt to save space someone will more than likely come along to water said dry patch. Overwatering used to be a bigger issue in the past but still comes up every now and again. Every large village has this issue and you see rows upon rows of seeding carrots because someone got too carried away with watering.

Not approved for children, elders, or new players: I'm sure you internally scream if you've ever seen a streamer eat on one or two food bars empty. Each carrot is worth seven squares and thus are almost always wasted on children and the aging population. Calorie waste brings down the whole farm plots efficiency when new folk/young folk/old folk eat up a carrot.

Berry pros:

A berry forgiving plant: Should you pick the last berry off a bush you have ninety minutes until the bush actually fully dies. Should you not have the supplies to take care of said bush you have about thirty minutes to stake it before it ends up drying out to where it actually needs to be taken care of. A berry bush with stakes does not degrade down into a dry bush so you may keep an staked bush around indefinitely if you really wanted to. Another note: Berries can be left on their bushes until you actually need them unlike carrots which will seed.

Yum yum: A gooseberry bush actually produces more food overall than just a plain jane carrot plot should you alternate between eating a gooseberry then setting a gooseberry in a bowl and eating it. This is the easiest way to start a yum chain that leads to you eating less food overall.

Saver of hoes and noobs: You are going to save a lot of hoes in the early by planting a sizable berry farm. Once you get that initial area of bushes up all you need to do is remember to feed your bushes a well balanced diet of soil/water/workers to keep it happy. Most new players know how to eat and take care of bushes. If not this is an easy teachable activity that most towns need to keep trucking.

Berry cons:

Famine now served in bush form: If your berry bushes are your only reliable source of food you had better be taking care of them. A berry bush requires two minutes before it will change to languishing and eight more minutes before you get anything from it after being soiled + watered. A large berry farm can be misleading if you aren't paying attention to how many berries are on the bushes. Should you fail to maintain the farm in a good shape say goodbye to a large chunk of your population.

An unshakable and unmovable object: Once a large berry farm is established it's going to be there for a towns lifetime. Even though a large berry field is indeed destroyable it's unlikely to occur. At some point water is the likely thing to run out around a city and these bushes aren't gonna just up and walk over to the next well/pond. Another issue is that a small berry farm will likely be continued to be expanded slowly eating up more and more space you have in town.

Lazy if not given attention: If you want food from bushes you have to give them plenty of attention or else you're getting the cold shoulder. Yes, a berry bush is forgiving in the sense you can ignore them for a lifetime and a half but it's not doing you any good to actually ignore them for so long. A big enough berry farm is going to chew up your labor force and spit out their bones due to how much attention you have to put on a berry farm. Bushes aren't regrowing food until they've been picked clean and resoiled/watered.

Ideally, there's probably a lot more to this than what I've listed but this is just some basic pros and cons.

TL;DR - Berries are good at an eve camp if you want to give them care, carrots are good if you feel like quick food but don't mind spending time breaking hoes all day.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-07-21 09:10:22

tana

In fact as an eve camp, you can even skip all that if you're fast enough, build a kiln asap, make a nozzle, a crockpot and several bowls and plates. Plant stew veggies all that while forraging for food in the surrounding areas, wich normally should be plenty since it's eve camp, then collect eggs, and make omelettes, IMO omelettes are the best early camp food, then make your stew, and adults should be good on food for a while at camp being able to concentrate on other stuff.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#9 2018-07-21 14:44:29

Turnipseed

tana wrote:

In fact as an eve camp, you can even skip all that if you're fast enough, build a kiln asap, make a nozzle, a crockpot and several bowls and plates. Plant stew veggies all that while forraging for food in the surrounding areas, wich normally should be plenty since it's eve camp, then collect eggs, and make omelettes, IMO omelettes are the best early camp food, then make your stew, and adults should be good on food for a while at camp being able to concentrate on other stuff.

If your confident in your eveing skills this is a great idea, but many people cant make a kiln, or they dont know how to make bowls / plates. Tongs are even out of their grasp. Ive seen eves use a skewer on a patch of tule reeds....

Its sad really. Especially after the tutorial was added

#10 2018-07-21 15:00:52

Alf

tana wrote:

I'm rather against depending on stew as primary food source. The reason is most of the players I think don't know how to do that. You can teach them of course but we all know that teaching more advanced stuff is a dedication of your life. Once the stew is gone people would run around like crazy searching for any other foods instead of trying hard to remake that. That's why I think you always should have that berry farm so 'smarter' players could go for better foods and place would not end up as a mayhem.

#11 2018-07-21 15:26:40

Turnipseed

Alf wrote:

I'm rather against depending on stew as primary food source. The reason is most of the players I think don't know how to do that. You can teach them of course but we all know that teaching more advanced stuff is a dedication of your life. Once the stew is gone people would run around like crazy searching for any other foods instead of trying hard to remake that. That's why I think you always should have that berry farm so 'smarter' players could go for better foods and place would not end up as a mayhem.

Sounds horrible but i would rather have stupid people starve than sponge all the berrys from all the bushes, and do nothing...

Ill plant berrys for sheep, or eat them during famine but i refuse to plant them for berry sponges!

Ive seen it happen naked dudes standing in the middle of verry farm just eating... then when berrys run out they run around screaming f or picking up and dropping dried corn...

Ps if this is you learn to play or please just quit. Ive tried teaching some of you, but you dont know enough of the basics to stay alive for a lesson, even with a basket of food... who did the tutorial for you?

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-07-21 15:30:42)

#12 2018-07-21 15:34:34

Alf

Sometimes you need a dumb kid to give birth to a smart kid though.

#13 2018-07-21 15:35:12

pein

dont you dare making stew as eve, biggest mess i ever seen

first of all one single stew needs like 6 bowls alone
watering, for beans, for eating it, for seeds, for corn
also plates for squash and beans

dont you ever make a crook pot before seeing trees cut! with no axe, you will use up the branches which are required for tool making and you kill the colony. beans also the worst thing in middle of city, go to side and keep spaced out, as it clutters everything

depends on the spot, if you got plenty of soil you can do other stuff, if you got just a bit, rush sheep, with composting soil becomes cheap

early game as eve rush the berry bushes, as it sustains a smaller family and girls wont suicide so often
just make sure you focus on fixing before extending, more refills, better than more bushes
technically you should pick off berry into bowls and put soil on it right away, water it
better to have like 9 bushes every corner of city than many one spot
saves on hoe, which in eve camp is luxury to make second or third out of ropes

carrot is fast and okay food for adults, if you can allow the soil, but its just suplimentary so you dont need to eat so often and get some yum bonus

eggs and cactus is very good early, collecting it instead wasting soil before tools

sheep needed for composting, so the rope, bow arrow  is a requirement
pies only viable after, stew too or sauercraut
extensive farming also requires buckets which also needs file saw adze froh
and shovel to make wells

if there is no water or limited, potato farming can be good, after shovel

corn is underused, while is slow and tedious, all the lazy new players should know how to make popcorn, its the smallest portion food, so wastes less than other food, the amount of times people overeat form 1 bar is huge
now imagine someone has 2 hunger, eats a carrot, 5 bars wasted, while with popcorn only one
also yum bonus

anything you farm, water, pick it off, i often see people let carrot there hoping others eat it before the timer, goes to seed, despawns, thats a waste of time and resource

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-07-21 16:05:22

WalrusesConquer

Wow this is really helpful! Thank you! (Haven't been an Eve for awhile)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#15 2018-07-21 16:10:34

Potjeh

Stew is perfectly doable as Eve. There's plenty of time to make bowls while you're waiting for crops to grow. Berries just eat up all your time because they use so much soil and water. Heck, I can even smith after stew most of the time. I start with planting one corn and two carrots first, then go look for beans and squash while those are growing. While corn is drying and beans and squash are growing you can prep pot and bowls and maybe even have time to get a rabbit for the forge. There should be enough eggs to keep you going until stew is ready. If there isn't, you're in a shitty spot anyway and the civ is doomed to die of drought in a couple of generations (how soon depends on how many berries they plant).

#16 2018-07-21 16:41:35

pein

Potjeh wrote:

Stew is perfectly doable as Eve. There's plenty of time to make bowls while you're waiting for crops to grow. Berries just eat up all your time because they use so much soil and water. Heck, I can even smith after stew most of the time. I start with planting one corn and two carrots first, then go look for beans and squash while those are growing. While corn is drying and beans and squash are growing you can prep pot and bowls and maybe even have time to get a rabbit for the forge. There should be enough eggs to keep you going until stew is ready. If there isn't, you're in a shitty spot anyway and the civ is doomed to die of drought in a couple of generations (how soon depends on how many berries they plant).

just make a fucking axe cause next time stew makers steal my branches i kill all of themmy worst run was a 6th gen stew camp, the hoe broken and i couldnt make shovel cause idiots used for hoe, was like 40 years to make an axe, cause everything was being stolen
they wasted like 12 kindling before i could make an axe

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2018-07-26 22:42:13

Stepping_Razor

its not one vs the other.

they are both multipliers.

you need as many different food sources/types as possible.

example.

berry by hand, and berry by bowl, are two different multipliers.

Board footer