One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-11 15:58:46

Zeromus

YouTube Tutorials Here

I've started creating some tutorials and posting them on YouTube.  The first one, which is a very basic survival tutorial, is available here:

https://youtu.be/42o2YBRPe3g

I have tutorials for making fire, making clothes, and basic farming recorded and I'm getting them uploaded now.  I'll post here when they are available.

Next I'm planning on creating a tutorial for pottery and then probably advanced farming.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or requests, please do let me know!  Thanks!

Here is the playlist with all available tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … wWmhzQslZu

Last edited by Zeromus (2018-03-11 16:18:48)

#2 2018-03-11 16:07:47

InSpace

Re: YouTube Tutorials Here

Make a tutorial for how to club a seal

#3 2018-03-11 16:14:34

TLyon

Zeromus wrote:

I've started creating some tutorials and posting them on YouTube.  The first one, which is a very basic survival tutorial, is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42o2YBRPe3g

I have tutorials for making fire, making clothes, and basic farming recorded and I'm getting them uploaded now.  I'll post here when they are available.

Next I'm planning on creating a tutorial for pottery and then probably advanced farming.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or requests, please do let me know!  Thanks!

I was thinking on doing the same yesterday! Unfortunately, I'm a student and I don't have the free time, so its good someone is doing it.

#4 2018-03-11 16:23:16

Zeromus

Fire making tutorial is now available:

https://youtu.be/fTXyr1xTQCI

#5 2018-03-11 17:13:19

Zeromus

Clothes making tutorial is now available:

https://youtu.be/G-LewBo8oww

#6 2018-03-11 17:16:26

TLyon

Zeromus wrote:

Clothes making tutorial is now available:

https://youtu.be/G-LewBo8oww

Wow man, you sure are fast XD

#7 2018-03-11 17:47:16

Zeromus

Basic farming tutorial is now available:

https://youtu.be/u9nSH-5vu64

#8 2018-03-11 21:31:25

llap

very good tutorials! I hope you have the possibility to do more! smile

llap Olli

llap Olli

#9 2018-03-11 21:49:36

Abazzar

watched all tutorials were very helpful for me so thank you.

#10 2018-03-11 22:05:56

Joriom
Website

Dear Zeromus. I'm going to watch the rest of your tutorials, but after seeing the first basic one - I'm fraid they'll do more harm then good. I've already commented on your video but I'll post here as well just so we can discuss it in a better place. Youtube comments are not a good platform.

Terrible advices:
- cutting wild carrots. People simply destroy ability to rebuild farms if they dig them up.
- poking stuff at random. People will poke milkweed at the wrong time, bear caves, etc.
Lacking A LOT:
- getting string and rope is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing early - and getting it THE RIGHT WAY - without thrashing wild milkweeds. Without it you can't do anything else but run around and destroy envioroment. Without knowledge of how to get rope you're basically a parasite as Eve.
Just to clarify:
If you dont want to be parasite - you need to set up a farm. For that you need tool to water the seeds. Bowl or pouch. For both - you need fire. Without rope - you can't start fire and light kilns. Without rope - you can't start fire and cook rabbit for bone needle. Without rope - you can't make snare for hunting rabbits.

Also, you did not explain well enough that colothing (and body temperature over all) determines how fast you get hungry.
You also did not mention the main point - try to advance as much as possible - but in such a way that furute generations, or some random person who stumbles upon your camp, can expand it further.

#11 2018-03-11 23:36:58

Zeromus

Hi Joriom, I replied on YouTube to your comment.  Please do watch the rest of the videos and then come back and tell me what you think.  I go over all of the stuff you mention in those.  This first video is an absolute basic survival video for people that have no clue what they are doing.

I don't mention milkweed in this video on purpose.  I'm trying to not overwhelm a new player.  I'm just trying to help them stay alive.

#12 2018-03-12 02:24:31

Auner

OMG THANK YOU!!

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#13 2018-03-12 03:44:38

Joriom
Website

Zeromus wrote:

I'm trying to not overwhelm a new player.  I'm just trying to help them stay alive.

Staying alive is pointless, even harmfull, if you dont contribute. Staying alive for the sake of staying alive should be considered trolling at this point. Whevener I can't contribute yet or anymore... I just go to die in the corner away from people - so my bones dont take precious space on the ground. Sad but true. This game is all about that - harsh reality. Thats also what I suggest others to do.

#14 2018-03-12 04:40:13

Conejita_de_Luz

Joriom wrote:
Zeromus wrote:

I'm trying to not overwhelm a new player.  I'm just trying to help them stay alive.

Staying alive is pointless, even harmfull, if you dont contribute. Staying alive for the sake of staying alive should be considered trolling at this point. Whevener I can't contribute yet or anymore... I just go to die in the corner away from people - so my bones dont take precious space on the ground. Sad but true. This game is all about that - harsh reality. Thats also what I suggest others to do.

And here we have one of the many philosophical questions this game poses. What is more important? The freedom and self-preservation of the individual, or the benefit and well-being of the group as a whole? Should your moral priority be to ensure your own survival, or instead to prioritize the survival of those around you and/or those who will come after you? Individualism vs. Collectivism and all that social theory.

#15 2018-03-12 07:19:05

TLyon

Joriom wrote:
Zeromus wrote:

Well, I would say that if staying alive they can use that time to learn how to play and how to make things better, it would be more benefitial for the community in the long run even though they digged some carrots. At the end, they will be playing for a lot of hours, i think its more benefitial to avoid greater errors that could ruin a village in exchange for them eating a wild carrot from time to time.

Last edited by TLyon (2018-03-12 08:18:14)

#16 2018-03-12 08:16:24

Prince Turtle

You the ducking man

#17 2018-03-13 01:54:19

fyi1138

Joriom wrote:

- getting string and rope is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing early - and getting it THE RIGHT WAY - without thrashing wild milkweeds.

So what is the right way, and more importantly, why? That shit is hard to find.

#18 2018-03-13 01:58:47

Uncle Gus

The right way is by picking milkweed when it is fruiting so that it regenerates.

#19 2018-03-13 03:33:05

WawaHoagie

Finally, someone who makes an actual TUTORIAL on the game. I'm tired of "Let's plays" i never really understood them to begin with, but apparently people would rather watch someone spout nonsense and force themselves to be funny for their viewers who are mostly kids anyway.

I have to disagree with the wild carrot digging, you really should remove the video and redo it. The key to this games survival and longevity is to not destroy resources. Otherwise, keep it up, can't wait to see the advanced tutorials.

gottahava
    _V~
  Wawa

#20 2018-03-13 03:44:49

Zeromus

I am a little torn about the wild carrots.  The point of the basic survival tutorial is to empower new users with knowledge.  I don't think keep people ignorant of how to do things is the correct way to do it.  On the other hand, yes, we don't want people hunting down every wild carrot to extinction.  I mentioned about conserving them, but perhaps I didn't emphasize it enough.

It is similar to fertile soil.  Even though it is a non-replenishable resource, we still dig it up to make some carrots.  A dead hourling can't make carrots either.

Perhaps I'll make a short tutorial on just "conservation" and go through everything that does not replenish.

#21 2018-03-13 17:43:04

Joriom
Website

Zeromus wrote:

It is similar to fertile soil.  Even though it is a non-replenishable resource, we still dig it up to make some carrots.

And those two sentences proove you should reconsider teaching others "the way". Fertile soil IS RENEVABLE resource. You replenish it by composting - which is the base of farming atm. You can pick up rows of dirt you placed and move them anytime. You can even take fertile soild from composting and refill the natural deposits if you're wierd like that.

While you can not plant wild carrots in the middle of nowhere for people to collect the seeds. Watered seeds will grow and eventurally seed and die - they don't stay forever. The most you can do if leave them unwatered for future generations but... that brings the problem of watering them and waiting four minuted to get food or 9 minutes just to get seeds... while starving looking at carrots grow. You could always leave basket of seeds where plant was - but thats just 3 to 6 seeds instead of infinite supply (which can be used to prevent need of composting at all - you dont let carrots seed and just get wild seeds over and over).

#22 2018-03-13 19:15:16

Uncle Gus

Don't dig up wild carrots period.

#23 2018-03-14 21:00:30

Joriom
Website

Just to seal the deal with some numbers:
foodStats from OHOL official page
In table marked as "Yesterday" - Wild Carrot 1945
This mean players detroyed almost 2000 wild carrots with a sharp stone just in one day. How many ruined biomes is that? How many new settlements and Eves had to starve next to fertile soil without seeds? Yup. Lets teach them how to do it more.
Also "Past Week" entry - Wild Carrot 27047

Last edited by Joriom (2018-03-14 21:00:58)

Board footer