One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-18 02:59:57

startafight

if mommy says theres a famine dont return to the camp!

i had many cousins and nieces and aunties and grandmas. a camp ripe for starvation. and as soon as i turned 4 it hit. i took a basket and ran out of town, knowing at least half would be wiped by the time i returned. and they were. so i abandoned child after child till the population dwindled to five. and finally i had a little baby boy i knew we could afford to keep.

seeing the bushes were empty i picked him up and told him "famine. im taking u to food"

but the child leaped out of my arms as soon as we left the comforts of the farm and dashed back to the fire, where he'd seen my cousin nursing her child.

i returned to him, furious, "i said there is a famine. i was going to take u to food. but u return to a dying village instead"

seeing his error he tried to chase after me but i left the town without my boy. on the way out i gave birth to a little girl i named lucky. i told her about her brother's foolishness and in the wilds, surrounded by berries, i had another girl. i intended to abandon her, knowing there wouldn't be enough berries for her, but she looked at me desperately, pleading "p" "l" "s" so i kept her

when we returned to the town i found the corpse of my son and my cousin and her child. skeletons littered the small camp. i warned the girls, "these bodies are what happens when you stay in town in a famine. remember to go left"

and as i aged another one hit, this one caused by the rapid eating of my aging cousins. they shoveled berries in their mouths and i knew there would be another

i turned to my youngest, yelling "theres no food! go left!!!!!"

and yet she hesitated, i screamed at her as i stood dying in the fields,"go!!!!!"

and she ran.

perhaps they will live. but most likely they will starve again in another famine

just know this, if there is only one bush left with berries and there is more than one person in the village you are seconds from famine. grab a berry and head to food. and never, EVER, return back to a starving town without food on hand. and if mommy says "im taking you to food" you dont leap out of her arms back into a starving town

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=602271

Last edited by startafight (2018-07-18 03:01:16)

#2 2018-07-18 04:23:47

Jk Howling

Re: if mommy says theres a famine dont return to the camp!

Starvation seems to hit big cities a lot, more often when they focus solely on farming their massive berry fields rather than focusing on better food resources. Yes, I get it. Berries are the better crop. But they're not the better food, especially for adults! Berry fields cannot support a settlement alone.

That's why my go-to task in any decent size village directly involves food. Growing and gathering my own ingredients, since I know the farmers will blatantly ignore me if I request for them to plant anything other than berries. Tending the sheep for mutton pies, and compost for more ingredients. Best runs are when someone's already doing that so I can actually focus on making stew/pies.

And if I'm born to a town that only has masses of berries and nothing else, I grab a basket [or cart if lucky] and leave town, whether its to find seeds to grow ingredients for better food sources, or to hunt rabbits for a backpack and pies. That way I avoid the famine by foraging wild foods, while still contributing to the group in the longrun.

It's disappointing to come back to a nearly-empty town because everyone relies so heavily on munching berries that they don't bother with anything else.

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-07-18 04:23:47

WomanWizard

Oh hey, I was your mom! I spent my elder years out hunting rabbits. Was wondering where all the kids were when I came back. Guess now I know.

#4 2018-07-18 04:26:49

WomanWizard

Jk Howling wrote:

Starvation seems to hit big cities a lot, more often when they focus solely on farming their massive berry fields rather than focusing on better food resources.

This town honestly probably had trouble because the berry farm wasn't big enough. I expanded it a bit when I was a child, but it didn't look like anyone else did after I moved on to hunting rabbits. I just wanted to get that forge ready.

#5 2018-07-18 04:28:15

startafight

WomanWizard wrote:
Jk Howling wrote:

Starvation seems to hit big cities a lot, more often when they focus solely on farming their massive berry fields rather than focusing on better food resources.

This town honestly probably had trouble because the berry farm wasn't big enough. I expanded it a bit when I was a child, but it didn't look like anyone else did after I moved on to hunting rabbits. I just wanted to get that forge ready.

yeah the thing is it was too small but the population kept booming and ppl kept staying and starving instead of foraging or farming. i had to gather iron and farm at the same time hmm

#6 2018-07-18 04:30:56

WomanWizard

Yeah, I was hunting rabbits, feeding babies, and farming at the same time. Probably should have let a few of them die, but one of them was you so that might have ended poorly. It looks like they're still going, so that's nice!

Every time I came back to drop off the rabbits, the berries needed soil. There were baskets around for soil. I made sure of that...

#7 2018-07-18 04:54:55

startafight

WomanWizard wrote:

Yeah, I was hunting rabbits, feeding babies, and farming at the same time. Probably should have let a few of them die, but one of them was you so that might have ended poorly. It looks like they're still going, so that's nice!

Every time I came back to drop off the rabbits, the berries needed soil. There were baskets around for soil. I made sure of that...

yeah! looks like both of us got lucky with at least one kid that continued the line. and thanks ma, hope to meet u again!

#8 2018-07-18 04:57:12

Jk Howling

WomanWizard wrote:
Jk Howling wrote:

Surprising tbh, usually they die off because the farms are so massive that every bit of compost and soil ever made goes straight to them instead of being used to grow crops for better foods. Or they run out of carrots for compost because people eat them all waiting for the berries to grow back. Or the wells run dry trying to support all the berries. Etc.

I do see now that you were around gen 4 when it happened, I didn't check the link originally so I assumed it was another "giant town dies to berry famine" story, my b.

I notice that often eve runs seem to starve out at about gen 4-5, if they don't die off right away. I think it might be because the foundations of the farm tend to be berries and maybe carrots, from personal experiences. My better runs have only gotten to around gen 15, but I think they might've lasted longer because other crops were planted in gen 2-3, encouraging the next generations to work towards pies and the likes rather than focusing on berries.

Then again, your village seemed to famine because it didn't focus on berries, or maybe farming in general, enough. That's a big oof in its own right. It did seem to survive a few more gens though, so that's a plus. Maybe someone fixed the farm eventually.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2018-07-18 05:11:29

WomanWizard

I think it's hard for some of the newer players to know when is too much and when is too little when it comes to the berries. I was born next to a small corn field, but nobody ever replanted it and very few people actually used the corn. Spotted some popcorn around occasionally, but we didn't make it to stew in my lifetime.

I knew we needed to move on to smithing ASAP, so that's what I worked towards by hunting rabbits and putting together some bellows. Mostly because I usually give birth to kids who never stop expanding the berry farm, so I figured I wouldn't have to do that. They seem to have figured things out though (I hope.)

Good work Carma! Looks like Amanda lived to be pretty old too, though her kids didn't do quite as well.

#10 2018-07-18 05:53:19

elpargo

new player here. Can anyone give a hint to that ratio of people/berries? Personally, I don't know is it 1 new berry every 1 minutes per bush? and then what's the number of berries eaten in that same timeframe? With that we could probably come up with something like 1.5 berry bushes per person in town.... but I don't know the actual math.

#11 2018-07-18 05:57:02

pein

seen so many times
me like : "no food, need 10 min for berry to grow and to setup camp, stay here eat this berry"
shes like back to kiln faster than me than starves

sometimes i tell them to pick branches there, this distracts them for 5 min then they starve

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-07-18 06:00:40

forestglade

Berries should only be for babies and elderly and more importantly: feeding sheep and making compost.

Adults should be eating pies or stew.

#13 2018-07-18 06:04:20

startafight

elpargo wrote:

new player here. Can anyone give a hint to that ratio of people/berries? Personally, I don't know is it 1 new berry every 1 minutes per bush? and then what's the number of berries eaten in that same timeframe? With that we could probably come up with something like 1.5 berry bushes per person in town.... but I don't know the actual math.

heres some (probably wrong- hey im a history major) math:

once planted and watered a gooseberry bush takes 2 minutes to sprout, then another 2 minutes to become a full bush. then it takes another 8 minutes to bear fruit. so thats 12 minutes it takes from planting and watering to fruiting.

from there, every time u water a dry gooseberry bush it takes 8 minutes to fruit with all berries - its not 1 at a time like a wild bush

and then it takes another 2 minutes for an empty (all picked) gooseberry bush to dry out - which then it can be dirted and watered again

but for a wild gooseberry bush it takes 10 minutes to get a fruits again (not sure of the steps in between- from experience i think its 1 berry every 10 minutes but the onetech sites says its a full bush https://onetech.info/279-Empty-Wild-Gooseberry-Bush i cant really remember good)

and im 100% sure someone has done the math on a big ass post but heres my general rule of thumb - 3 bushes per person. just as a general ratio, but it depends on how much foraging food is around and such. but the thing is that berries are NOT the best food to rely on. its consumes a lot of resources and stew is a LOT better. i just tend to make a berry farm around 10-15 bushes when starting out to give the new players something to do and as a backup for famines

#14 2018-07-18 16:29:38

happynova

Hey, startafight, I was your grandmother, Ford!  And WomanWizard's mom.  Thanks for keeping the family line going for a while, famine notwithstanding.  Honestly, I'm more than a little surprised that family went as long as it did.  It was a rocky start.  The spot was pretty good, but Momma Eve did nothing whatsoever except eat all the food, pop out short-lived kids, and try to talk to me while I was frantically hustling around on the edge of starvation, trying to get things set up so we could survive.

Sounds like some of the descendants weren't all that much better.  I was really, really hoping that after I was gone somebody would get stew going.  I made a crock as one of the last things I ever did, and got corn planted, which I was hoping would help keep people fed with popcorn until they managed to get the rest of the stew crops.  I'm pretty sure I saw squash nearby, so all someone needed to do was get that, find some beans, and plant.  Much better than relying on unsustainable giant berry plots, if you ask me.  I've seen those lead to famine way too often.

Unfortunately, I cut my hunger bars too fine while working the kiln and died before I had the chance to offer this advice.

Board footer