One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-14 08:48:34

pein

Not your kid not your choice

If someone doesnt want to keep a kid, dont name it, dotn feed it, its not your choice

i already seen its a jumping, runner nab kid, who goes around before i pick it up
we were in city
which is rare today, be that enough, if you jump off multiple times, you deserve to die
i shot that stupid and granny named before and fed it, then stabbed me

next time i shot anyone who feeds a kid i dont want
"be nice to babies" my ass
if you are a baby, respect and pay attention what your mother says or dont expect i ran after you and waste my time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-07-14 08:53:32

tana

Re: Not your kid not your choice

oh just admit you like to shoot at people and stop finding excuses for it.
if you abandon your baby, it's not yours anymore, so it's not your choice either if i decide to adopt it or not.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#3 2018-07-14 10:18:22

pein

tana wrote:

oh just admit you like to shoot at people and stop finding excuses for it.
if you abandon your baby, it's not yours anymore, so it's not your choice either if i decide to adopt it or not.

somebody has to
i dont need excuses, i can kill the whole city and you wont even know it was me
if its moving after telling not to, gonna be a useless sponge or a griefer

gonna be my choice to shoot you instead of the baby
all the lazy asses who decide for a whole colony that one more mouth to feed gonna run around are the biggest griefers
a baby loses half min
can come back ten min later when things are fixed
if you protect a baby who cant behave then you gonna be responsible for what it does
but of course all you "great mothers" got 10 kids dead at age 3, so  you really feel responsible until you can blame them, but its not your merit if survives, if i keep one it deserves and get s an okay life, basic instructions., all i see is people let all the little kids run around and the first thing they do is mess up everything, you can see that before it grows and if doesnt understand/doesnt care dont keep them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-07-14 18:11:38

teletolumby

If a mother is too irresponsible to feed/name their kid, I will definitely pick up the slack.

#5 2018-07-14 18:15:29

OminousBladeBlank

I'm with pein on this. Way too many people are born to eat and cannot contribute. A city is no place for a nood. That's what small vilages are for - to teach you the basics of labor so you can say "y" when a sad mother asks if you can smith.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#6 2018-07-14 19:45:29

Jk Howling

OminousBladeBlank wrote:

I'm with pein on this. Way too many people are born to eat and cannot contribute. A city is no place for a nood. That's what small vilages are for - to teach you the basics of labor so you can say "y" when a sad mother asks if you can smith.

Except its equally terrible having noob children at an eve camp. Especially sponges that sit and eat your early limited food supply and don't contribute in any other way, or your only females end up dying of stupidity. It can turn a successful starter village into dust very quickly.

A city has the luxury of having established food sources. If someone's not being productive, you have every opportunity and resource available to you to show them ways they can help. There's no excuse except people's lack of patience and interest.

Let them shadow you while you're smithing or making compost. Show them how to make pies. Hell, even just showing them where to plant and water crops takes less than five minutes. Point them towards the nearest seeds and soil and ask for more non-berry crops.

Or if you're so desperate, give them a basket and ask them to go collect stuff out of camp. Either they die without using basically any resources [baskets are easily replaceable], or they bring back stuff that can be of use- clay, milkweed, round stones for more wells, maybe wild foods, rabbits if they brought a snare.

There's better ways than just letting every new player die because of their lack of knowledge.

-Has ascended to better games-

#7 2018-07-14 20:19:20

TheRedBug

If you see people who do not contribute, shooting them actually solve the problem. Temporarely. The next day you ate playing, you might find them again. Shoot them again. Rinse and repeat.

If you see people who do not contribute, helping them, teaching them, asking them questions as to why they don't contribute, fix the problem forever.

How many times have i turned berry sponges into fully functionnal farmers?

Do not expect them to change alone. Be the force that will change them.
This game is a game about a community. Killing the ones you don't want to won't make a difference. Changing them yourself will make them work the way you want.

The bow and arrow is a strong weapon. Time, effort and words is an even stronger one.

Shooting noob babies isnt the right thing to do long term. Explaining them why this behavior is wrong IS a long term solution.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#8 2018-07-15 04:13:45

Ti

Yes, the only long term solution to a lack of knowledge is to educate. That's part of the whole point of this game.

#9 2018-07-15 04:18:24

YAHG

Ti wrote:

Yes, the only long term solution to a lack of knowledge is to educate. That's part of the whole point of this game.

Amen.

To paraphrase some famous bro...

The Noob will always be with us <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-07-15 09:28:31

Alleria

teletolumby wrote:

If a mother is too irresponsible to feed/name their kid, I will definitely pick up the slack.

Along the same note, if a mother is irresponsible and feeds "griefer babies" (those who jump out of arms, move out of optimal temperature etc) I will also pick up the slack - using a knife.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#11 2018-07-15 10:58:10

Lum

It's not your kid if you let it die.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#12 2018-07-15 13:15:38

teletolumby

Alleria wrote:
teletolumby wrote:

Along the same note, if a mother is irresponsible and feeds "griefer babies" (those who jump out of arms, move out of optimal temperature etc) I will also pick up the slack - using a knife.

You mean noobs, there are new players joining every day. We have a system to deal with griefers, the curse system. We also have a system to deal with stabbings. Stab all you would like.

#13 2018-07-15 13:23:09

karltown_veteran

I’d never murder for that but I actually agree with pein. In a past game every single kid of mine that I actively apologized to and said I couldnt keep was fed by a lady who did nothing but feed. She must have produced twenty more than we could keep, from both birthing and feeding others. A few minutes later she and 3/4 of the kids died because of the famine. Not surprising at all...
Oh, and what bugs me even more is males obsessively feeding babies pie too often, sometimes even when females have adopted the same baby or tried to, because they want to be daddys. I usually love being a dad or mom and roleplaying, an opinion shared by many on OHOL, (probably the reason for the overfeeding, also because kids are pretty dang cute) but if there’s too many kids or the kid has been rejected? No way. I’d never feed someone else’s kid.
I think villages should make kid limits depending on situations. Good times and few women, five per woman. Good times and many woman, four.  Bad times and many, maybe two or one per woman. Bad times and few, two or three. Numbers might need adjusting.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#14 2018-07-15 14:34:40

Alleria

teletolumby wrote:
Alleria wrote:
teletolumby wrote:

You mean noobs, there are new players joining every day. We have a system to deal with griefers, the curse system. We also have a system to deal with stabbings. Stab all you would like.

I was being dramatic, but the curse system doesn't work very well.

When a civ is overpopulated people need to realise they can't keep every child. Some people think that it will sort itself out naturally, but it doesn't - it leads to a death spiral where people struggle to find a morsel of food and as a result it doesn't work.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-07-15 14:47:07)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#15 2018-07-15 16:58:45

Kinrany

Antinatalists would love this game.

OP didn't say anything about babies not knowing what to do.  Half the replies in this thread are irrelevant because it's possible to be the most experienced player in the world and still be useless.

Board footer