One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-12 23:43:19

VirazolKaine

What is the best thing for me to do as a new player?

I really like the idea of this game and have been trying to play it.  But I feel bad being a new player as I understand the importance of productivity in this game and I feel like me sticking around in an already advanced settlement is a hindrance and could potentially doom a settlement.  Also it seems that the community isn't a big fan of new players (the people I've met anyway, not trying to presume that the whole community is this way) because usually the first thing I do as a baby is type out new, and most times this results in me being abandoned by mum ;_;.  So I've been thinking that instead of revealing that I'm new, I let my mum raise me until I'm a kid, then I run off into the wilderness once I'm old enough to take care of myself and attempt to survive on my own and learn the game until I feel I'm knowledgeable enough to be useful to settlements.  What do you guys think is the best way for me to learn this game without bringing everyone around me down?  Should I avoid settlements and just try to learn the game on my own?  Should I not even bother playing until I read the entire wiki and watch a million videos on how to play??  Any advice is greatly appreciated, I just want to learn this game and be useful!

#2 2018-07-12 23:51:31

forestglade

Re: What is the best thing for me to do as a new player?

As a baby, you should farm. Water the plants, plant seeds, add soil.

When you're older pick one thing to learn each life.

You should definitely keep playing, it is a little frustrating to see new people just eat and not contribute. But as long as you water the farm and add soil, we can see that you're working.

#3 2018-07-12 23:52:58

TheRedBug

I literally just taught a new player how to play after he ruined half of my straight branches into kindling. I didnt get mad. I understood.

He told me he was his first time, and he was sorry for ruining my work. He didnt wanna be a burden and said he'd follow me around and kust watch what i was doing.

I refused and taught him the very basics, such as berry farming.

Never forget that some people hate new players, and not everyone will be happy to help you.

Never forget that some people like me will always stop what they are doing to help a new person in difficulty.

My number one advice i'd give you, is to not hesitate to ask for help.
If they become unhappy, it's not your fault. Move onto the next family, and maybe they'll teach you.

Another advice is to not try to do everything by yourself in a big village. Errors can destroy minutes of hard work, andthat can lead to a knife going into your chest.

Ask around. You can also watch videos. Stay in forums. Never feel ashamed of not comprehending something. One day, you'll end up being the one who teaches.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#4 2018-07-13 00:00:01

AzureEngel

I feel for you,

I lucked out in joining the second week of launch. I don't remember all of my lives with clarity, but I do remember a few people.

One time I was born to a Mother wearing the first wolf hat I ever saw. I called her Wolf Mom in my head, she was very interested in talking and showing me things. The first thing she showed me was bones, and said that these had been my older brother, and he had been an idiot. She asked if I was going to be a smart girl.
I typed out 'b o y' and we both stared at each other. Because I was clearly her new son.
'oh, my mistake. you are a smart boy'

She then taught me the basis of how to make tools, she pulled me through the steps of fires. She also dumped her younger children on me so she could forage and I could teach my siblings what she taught me.

She had taught me so much about the basis of how to survive in the game, I really wouldn't be the player in OHOL I am without Wolf Mom ((I still love you Wolf Mom!))

Another life was in a hectic farm that was growing large. There were tons of people. I toddled after the only adult that seemed to know what he was doing in the Farm.
Angrily he tried to keep everyone fed and keep the farm growing. He asked me if I really wanted to farm and I managed to say yes without starving.

My Uncle Farmer was a very grumpy man with black hair who raged at idiots. But he taught kids who would follow him, explaining the steps as he went. He would tell you to find your own bowl, and then tell you what to use the bowl on. I still try to teach like him, it's really the most effective way. ANd least likely to kill kids from hunger.
When his time came I thanked him, and he was shocked. He thanked me for wanting to learn, and I took his bones to a safe place to rest. ((Uncle Farmer you were great though you were very mad and grumpy! I still appreciate you all these months later! Thank you Uncle Farmer!))

Really the best way to learn in this game is to be taught by other players. But in the first weeks, there were so few of us that it /made a difference/ when we taught our kids how to do stuff. Now, there's so many people and such a big influx of players. We could teach all five-eight children we birth, and still in the next life have every child not know how to even tend a single bush. It's very taxing on experienced players to only live lives to teach others how to /survive/, when we want to play the fun game. The game outside of teaching new kids how to eat a berry and how everything works. I try every time I play to give at least one kid every life a full teaching tutorial. But I've been doing this for months. And it's really exhausting. It seems most of the other experienced players have given up.

Sorry, I hope one life I can teach you in a way Wolf Mom and Farmer Uncle would be proud of me.

#5 2018-07-13 00:00:24

YAHG

Like forestglade said, just learn shit over time. https://onetech.info/# is very nice.

Farming is mostly just seeds in dirt then water then wait.

Say you run into a problem like your hoe breaks, now learn how to make a new one.

Run out of soil, learn how to make compost.

No poop? Learn how to make some.

No Shovel etc etc etc.

There isn't THAT much stuff in this game. Probably only 30-40 useful recipes, you will be fine.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#6 2018-07-13 00:00:32

sc0rp

As an Eve's child learn how to forage.  Make a sharp stone, a basket, figure out what you can eat and how.  If you can keep yourself alive, bring your mom some good food (budrock, onions, wild carrots, catcus fruits), so she can keep building the camp.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-13 00:01:07)

#7 2018-07-13 01:04:23

DJDisorder

What sc0rp said.

Every player should know how to survive in the wilds, just need a basket and a sharp stone. This should be as second nature to a one lifer as breathing is, you cant live long without that basic knowledge.

#8 2018-07-13 01:25:54

MegaLlama

The best thing for a new player to do is most likely farming. It's simple, it's always needed and it does provide opportunity to learn other skills. Another particularly easy (although not always required) job is a caretaker, feeding the town's babies and keeping them out of trouble, maybe keep the fire going if there is one.

Like what the others have said, it is quite important to have basic survival skills in the wilderness, just in case the worst comes to pass.

It also depends on what society you are dealing with, if you are born into a humble eve camp, it's probably best to be either a farmer or a forager to secure a steady supply of food. If you are born into a relatively well-developed tribe with a stable farm, maybe try your hand at smithing, hunting or just plain old farming. If you are lucky(?) enough to be born into an advanced town, learn the more intricate skills such as baking, making stew, clothes or building, if all else fails, just farm. Notice that farming is a constant in nearly every society.

#9 2018-07-13 02:22:39

startafight

welcome to the forums! i made a post about basic village life for new players

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2633

but tbh farming isnt all that a village needs. if u see someone going to get rabbits out in the wilds its a good idea to ask if they can teach u to be a hunter. itll take u away from the village so theyll have less mouths to feed and u get to learn a trade thats more interesting than farming. ur also a lot more likely to survive outside of ur village (less murderers, less rapid famines, more knowledge of surrounding foods). just make sure u have a solid idea on how to keep from starving. theres nothing worse than teaching 3 ppl how to do something n then watching them all starve.

always try to keep ur temp in the middle n always have food on hand or in basket. u can dig up carrots n such to get food in a pinch and try to keep a combo running. u get a food combo from eating different foods and it makes ur hunger last longer (so lets say u eat a carrot and then a berry, that makes ur combo x1. then u ate a carrot, a berry, and a berry in bowl, thats combo x2. but then u eat a carrot, berry, and another carrot. that gets rid of ur combo n u have to start again). these little tips will keep you alive longer so u can help out ur family.

anything else is like what other ppl said, u gotta ask ppl "how do i forge?" "how do i make cart?" "can you teach me?" almost always the answer will be yes unless the person is in middle of smithing or other time-sensitive things. ive taught a lot of new players as often as i can but u gotta understand that teaching is a time and food consuming effort. try ur best to learn from what the person's doing instead of just expecting them to explain with words. and try out what u learned for urself later in life!

also, always keep onetech open whenever u play so u can make things if there arent ppl around to teach

and if u ever end up the last of a lineage or ur alone with only male relatives, try making shit! thats the absolute best time to try smithing/baking/ whatever u dont kno abt

#10 2018-07-13 02:49:22

subria

I will tell you my story:
I meet a boy in my new village. (I am gen 2). There are 3 people in village: Eve, me, boy. So i tell him: "Can U hunt rabbit. I and mom can smith". He did say anything and still stay near forge. Maybe he want smith because he learned and felt he usefull. Actually NO. He waste food, waste time. I go to make arrow very quick and give it to him. His last word: "Fuck u mate. I make this city."
Do you know what Eve say? She say: "LOL. I make this city?"
Mom and I keep working. And he is a dead man who no one care.

I advise you that you should tell the true when your mom ask you: "Are you new?"
If town is good, she will teach you. If not, just find a new town or begin as an Eve.

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#11 2018-07-13 03:34:06

startafight

subria wrote:

If town is good, she will teach you. If not, just find a new town or begin as an Eve.

absolutely. u gotta accept that eve camps cant afford to teach new players. its a lot better to learn in a stable society n if ur eve mom abandons u just kno that its probably for the best for u and her

#12 2018-07-13 03:50:23

Jk Howling

Honestly, if you can find a patient person willing to teach you something new, that's usually the best route to go. They might be few and far between, but once you find them, their lessons will stick with you for awhile!

I remember a few specific lives in which someone kindly showed me how to do something. A few bare basics came naturally after watching a few videos prior to buying the game, but bigger things like Smithing took a few attempts and the kind guidance of an elder player to finally sort out.

I personally rarely have time to teach, but when I do, it's when a run is doomed to fail [no more fertile females, for example] or if I'm born to a village with a big enough population and establishment not to need me working. I'm also happy to have people shadow me when working and learn from observation.

I'd definitely use OneTech if there's any recipes you're curious about, but there's also a lot of smaller knowledge that you'll gain from players as you go. Like how to pick fruiting milkweed so you can get seeds from the debris. Or to not waste kindling trying to keep an early fire going before you have an axe for firewood. Or not to eat big-food items like Omelettes, Stew, Pies and such until your hunger bar is bigger, so you don't waste them when smaller items like Popcorn or Berries would fill it.

-Has ascended to better games-

#13 2018-07-13 04:01:58

zennyrpg

You should first learn how to farm and basically keep yourself alive.

After you know the basics, learn compost.  Compost is the lifeline of the city.  Baking and rabbit hunting are other great middle-tier professions.  Rabbit hunting is a great fallback when you don't know what to do.  No matter your city, rich or poor, rabbit hunting always helps.

#14 2018-07-13 04:16:53

belshazzar

What I did when I started was watch just a few playthrough videos to learn a few specific jobs so that I could find at least something to do in any society, whether primitive or advanced.  Specifically I learned basic foraging, how to make and maintain a fire, basic carrot and berry farming, and how to make pies.  Whenever I spawned somewhere I did whichever of those jobs seemed most needed, and in the process I would see other jobs that looked interesting or need resources I didn't know how to make and I would look up how they worked afterwards, and I kinda just learned things bit by bit from there.

#15 2018-07-13 05:06:17

Neo

You can always try to become someones apprentice/helper.

#16 2018-07-13 05:08:58

Trick

VirazolKaine wrote:

I really like the idea of this game and have been trying to play it.  But I feel bad being a new player as I understand the importance of productivity in this game and I feel like me sticking around in an already advanced settlement is a hindrance and could potentially doom a settlement.  Also it seems that the community isn't a big fan of new players (the people I've met anyway, not trying to presume that the whole community is this way) because usually the first thing I do as a baby is type out new, and most times this results in me being abandoned by mum ;_;.  So I've been thinking that instead of revealing that I'm new, I let my mum raise me until I'm a kid, then I run off into the wilderness once I'm old enough to take care of myself and attempt to survive on my own and learn the game until I feel I'm knowledgeable enough to be useful to settlements.  What do you guys think is the best way for me to learn this game without bringing everyone around me down?  Should I avoid settlements and just try to learn the game on my own?  Should I not even bother playing until I read the entire wiki and watch a million videos on how to play??  Any advice is greatly appreciated, I just want to learn this game and be useful!

I think waiting until you're older to tell people you're new is a smart strategy (just to avoid the jerks who would abandon you), but I think you should tell people when you're older.

Go around and ask for help.  "Is there anything I can do to be helpful?"  "What needs to be done?"  Then ask how to do it when they tell you what they need.  If I encounter someone who shows that they are genuinely interested in being useful, I will spend the time to teach them.  Frankly, some of the newest players have been the biggest help to me (because I get them to do something that needs to be done, but I am busy with something more advanced and can't do myself).

The new players who come in and start taking shit or moving shit without asking questions are the ones who make me crazy.  I have had newbies come and take my stuff WHILE I am using it, and completely screw something up.  It's maddening.  Don't do that.  But, don't stand around the berry bushes and mooch, either.

I think most people are willing to help newbies if they show that they are not trying to be a nuisance.

#17 2018-07-13 06:08:36

LaughAtlantis

Trick wrote:

I think waiting until you're older to tell people you're new is a smart strategy (just to avoid the jerks who would abandon you), but I think you should tell people when you're older.

I disagree with this.  I think making the assumption that everyone who asks "Are you new?" is asking because they are going to abandon you if you are is a bad assumption - particularly in big cities.

In a big city, I have the luxury of stopping whatever I was doing, standing in the kitchen or the berry field, and teaching them a skill while they age to three, and explaining some things about city life.  At the very least, I can feed myself, then give them a tour.

It's a little hard in Eve camps thru gen 4 or so, depending on how astute and (re)productive those early gens are. If they've managed to really kick things off well, then I can take a moment to at least explain berry farming or how to craft something basic.  But I'm not going to go over stew at that point. smile

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

#18 2018-07-13 06:36:56

JonySky
Website

First, tell the truth, if you are new, everyone will know ...

I have never abandoned a new player, I always try to teach the players who ask me for help

When I started playing, I noticed how people do homework and then reproduce it by myself, but this is basically because my English is not my language and sometimes I can not understand what is written ...

It took me 2 weeks to learn everything related to the farm
One week later I learned smithing (2 essential things)
All the rest I learned little by little in more advanced civilizations

I recommend that at the beginning when you are small collect resources (branches, soil, etc ...) and take them to the settlement (especially if it is a new civilization) collect food for others if there is not enough food for everyone, this will make you survive and give your people a break to move forward

The berries are very overrated ... be careful with this, with time you will realize that the go only serve for very early ages

my last advice is to remember that not everyone knows English perfectly, try to ask and say things in a simple way

#19 2018-07-13 08:07:00

happynova

Some of this is going to be echoing things other people have already said, but here's my long-winded two cents:

I think it is definitely a good idea to tell people you are new.  Yes, some mothers will not want to deal with you and will abandon you at that point, but you know what?  You weren't going to learn anything from them, anyway.  Better to go on to the next life and hopefully find a place more conducive to learning.  On the other hand, lying about it is just going to mean that people who might be willing to help you aren't going to know they need to, not to mention that it might mean people think they can rely on you for things you can't do yet, things they wouldn't expect from you if they knew you'd just started.

And towns are actually the best place to learn things.  If it's a good, well-functioning town, people are going to be less likely to be scrambling to survive every moment and to have a lot more time to try to teach.  Not everyone will want to teach you, of course.  Some people will be too busy or not interested or too new themselves to help, especially if what you're asking about turns out to be something complicated.   But if you ask around, politely, you can almost certainly learn something.  The learning curve on this game is steep, and it takes a while to really feel like you know what you're doing, but ideally every life you can learn a little bit more, until you get to the point where you know you can always be useful.  In the meantime, I don't think you should feel guilty if you're eating a town's food and don't feel like you're contributing, not if you are trying to learn things.  We all had to start somewhere, after all.  If eating that food while you learn helps you become a better player in future lives, it's a worthwhile investment.

Going off into the wilds to practice by yourself isn't the best way to learn a lot of things, but if it's something that appeals to you, it's not the worst idea as something to do once or twice if you want to just experiment without worrying about disturbing anyone.  You should be aware, though, that there's a real limit to how much you can learn just by trial and error.   You're not going to figure everything, or even a lot of the fairly basic stuff, out all on your own, so don't get frustrated if wandering around trying to hit random things with rocks doesn't get you very far.

Finally, some tips for not being too much of a nuisance while you're still a newbie:

1) If you're not sure about something, ASK!  You may not get an answer, but you definitely won't if you don't ask.  Don't feel afraid to ask "How do I do that?" or "What is this for?"or "Is it OK if I do this?"

2) If someone tells you not to do something, listen to them.  It may turn out to be BS -- people get some weird ideas about certain things, and if they tell you not to eat the last berry on a wild bush or it won't grow back as fast, they're wrong -- but usually there's a good reason for it.  If you ask them, they might tell you what it is.  And then next time you'll know why you might not want to chop the maple branch up for kindling.

3) One thing very new players do a lot is to pick up a tool or something and wander around seeing if they can figure out what to do with it.  And then when they're done doing that, they drop the tool wherever they happen to be and go off to do something else.  The first part of that is usually okay.  The second part can be a huge problem.  You may have just walked off with the only tool the town has to do an absolutely essential job (like making fire) and dropped it where no one can find it when they need it.  If you pick something up, especially if you're not sure what it's for, for the love of humanity, take it back where you found it when you're done!

4) If you're in a town and you have no idea what to do but want to be useful, a good task is tending the berry farm.  It's easy to learn and almost always needed.  It's also a good task for little kids who shouldn't be roaming too far from food.

And 5) If, instead of a town, you're in an Eve camp, your mom is probably not going to have time to teach you anything, and if you start going "Hmm, what can I do with this thing?" with the stuff she's collected to try and get a settlement going, there's a good chance you're going to mess something up.  Instead, go out and gather resources.  Bring back wild food, branches, clay, and milkweed.  That will be genuinely helpful.

Also, one final piece of advice: Don't forget to eat while you're learning!  I've had way too many people starve in the middle of me trying to explain something to them.  Bring food with you, if you can, and if you have to run off to eat while your mentor is talking, do it!  The worst that can happen is they won't be there when you get back, but you'll never learn anything if you starve.

OK.  That's probably enough.  Good luck!  I hope I get the chance to teach you something in the game sometime.

#20 2018-07-13 12:14:54

pein

im not hating new players because they are new, i hate some of them because they fuck up stuff and dont care

rule number one is to stay alive, eat on your own, learn to use your temperature and to explore the city, know where is what

im not like others, i got a question, i find the answer, i watched a few videos before starting it, so i knew stuff, i still had trouble with controls
but once i knew that, i was basically reaching 60 right away
of course there are bad situations, but learn from it

onetech is great to see stuff step by step

basically as a kid, you need to get soem food, explore, eat when your bar goes down, learn which food how much gives back, take a basket, sharp stone, go out of city (make marker first)
gathering is very basic, clay, stones, baskets, branches always good, arranging similar stuff together
taking out bones on the side of city, taking seeds further away
i had a son once who was new but clicking fast and by telling him what to get, he even managed getting iron for me and i assembled stuff very fast, he even made new farm north cause i told we need to move

sometimes you remain alone, no girls, but dont give up, use the advanced city with low population to try out stuff like smithing
once you made something, next time is easier
getting sheep took me 5 lifes in same city, but then now im like go out, shoot mouflon, go out get lamb back, do it in one life, naked from far distance
you cant expect people to feed you all your life, need to sustain yourself, and later one or two more people as well
farming berry, carrot, corn is pretty easy
dump a basket of soil, pick a bowl, take one bowl out, till two, dumb soil, dump one more, till it, preserves hoe longer
put seed, water it, wait
i generally make compost every life, i expect you to know how to take a basket, dump one out and fix the berry farm
hunting rabbit is easy and can be fun for a while, i remember making 8-9 backpacks a life before decay udate
pottery is generally very good
realize whats an issue and find a solution by yourself
or at least find the smartest person and ask

smaller families are best and being a boy gen 3-4
whats the point raising a kid for 3 min just to see him die 2 min later? grab food and ask
i generally dump kids once old enough and check upon them sometimes, i already see your skill level
if people ask something i answer, generally i know what where is
i help if i e that you got a plan, however small it is, even if i could do it faster
like smithing, once we got the necessary tools, i let others do it.

Last edited by pein (2018-07-13 16:14:11)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2018-07-13 12:38:15

VirazolKaine

Thanks for all the advice guys!  I will definitely try to be more open about asking for help, I guess most games tend to not be super welcoming to new players so it's caused me to be more shy about asking for help.  Usually I spend my lives tending berry farms because there always seems to be something to do, I'm learning though that people seem to build obnoxiously large berry farms so that's probably why there always seems to be some work that needs to be done with the farm.  Thanks again guys, I do appreciate the feedback!

#22 2018-07-13 13:04:15

zennyrpg

VirazolKaine wrote:

Usually I spend my lives tending berry farms because there always seems to be something to do, I'm learning though that people seem to build obnoxiously large berry farms so that's probably why there always seems to be some work that needs to be done with the farm.

Oh one thing that could maybe help you or other new players.  Do not feel bad eating pie, stew, omelettes, or burritos once you are older.  Wait until you have a large health bar and are down to 3-7 pips, because these foods will likely fill you the whole way with one bite.  Complex foods have better yields (cost less soil/iron/water per pip), so if they are available you are actually helping your town more by eating them rather than if you just munch on berries/carrots.

Board footer