One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-11 14:18:38

JackTreehorn

How to fix big berry farms.

Recently big berry farms are a too common sight.
Large expanses of berries can be annoying for the following reasons.
1. it makes it difficult to get dirt, bowls and buckets of water in for the berries.
2. Uses a lot of dirt and water.
3. Some people just hang around in there eating and not doing much at all.
4. Large berry fields makes the job of fertilising and watering that much more daunting when you see a large field of empty bushes, you start thinking "can i be bothered fertilising and watering all these?"

By now we know that the best farm layout is three by three crop and berry fields surrounded by floorboards for easy access.

I want to remind everyone that we have a method of fixing these huge berry fields.
However this method if not done right can result in the loss of a large amount of water. Do not attempt if new.

The Method:
This might be is somewhat known but little practised. This is how we can remove berry bushes and get the fields back to a manageable three by three layout.
1. Remove all berries off the bush you want to remove.
2. Wait until it goes dark green.
3. Add stakes to the bush.
4. Prepare a bowl of water and lay it next to the bush.
5. Bring shovel over to the bush.
6. Apply the water to the staked berry bush
7. Swap the empty bowl for the shovel and dig up the bush. (You have about two seconds from when it is watered. If you miss the two second window the water is wasted.)

Yellow bushes can be removed with a shovel without the water.

Dead bushes can be removed with an axe.

Eve Audette

#2 2018-07-11 14:23:03

sc0rp

Re: How to fix big berry farms.

+1

They're main cause of famine.

#3 2018-07-11 14:26:24

zennyrpg

Another method:
Make and advertise other food sources.  People are going to "run for berries" when they are hungry because its reliable.  Make popcorn for children and elders as a cheaper alternative to berries.

#4 2018-07-11 14:30:46

sc0rp

Making popcorn is such a waste of time, that nobody really bothers to do it.

#5 2018-07-11 14:30:51

TheRedBug

How to fix berry farms: destroy berry farms.

Also, eat more stew <3

Last edited by TheRedBug (2018-07-11 14:31:16)

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#6 2018-07-11 14:43:35

YAHG

This is dumb. Berries are better than most other crops and come in nice food chunk sizes for all ages.

Your famine is cause by large amounts of useless people. Those people will sit around and eat whatever there is no matter what you plant.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#7 2018-07-11 14:48:47

TAIOAN

YAHG wrote:

This is dumb. Berries are better than most other crops and come in nice food chunk sizes for all ages.

Your famine is cause by large amounts of useless people. Those people will sit around and eat whatever there is no matter what you plant.

True.

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#8 2018-07-11 14:50:33

pein

build a road to an edge, people wont extend it

stab them if they do

profit

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-07-11 14:52:04

sc0rp

Seriously, you want to munch on berries?  They waste enormous amounts of water, soil and time.  Isn't it much better to have mutton pies?  Maybe few bushes are good for kids and elders.   But having big field of berries that will suck up all compost and drain 2 wells in blink of the eye is huge liability.

#10 2018-07-11 14:53:31

sc0rp

TAIOAN wrote:
YAHG wrote:

True.

IRL you have large amounts of useless people too.  You don't feed them using least cost efficient food source avaliable.

#11 2018-07-11 15:09:28

YAHG

If you can push all that labor into mutton pies go for it.
You will be drowning in soil is all, not a bad problem.
The time to grow isn't a huge deal as you have more than one growing at a time.
Each mutton pie takes ~3 soil and makes 16. Math is rougher with 7 berries per bush now.

I think people just are not doing a good enough job composting. Composting has been buffed sooooo much. We just have to do it.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#12 2018-07-11 16:21:53

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

If you can push all that labor into mutton pies go for it.
You will be drowning in soil is all, not a bad problem.

Yeah, then there is a chance that somebody sane will plant milkweed so we could have couple of boxes and more than one cart per town.

When I try improve things a bit and make few carts, etc., there is never milkweed around.  So I go plant it and can plant only ~8 because there is no soil.  So I go make compost and there is no cart around, so I have to run like an idiot with one bowl at a time to feed sheep.  By the time I go back to make damn cart, somebody already stolen all planted milkweed.  Maybe guards should stay there stabbing anybody trying to touch it.  When I finally make first cart, to make making carts easier, I have to go everywhere with it.  When I leave it for 5 secs it's already gone.

Maybe we should figure out how to make ownership work.  The things I need to do work are already gone, before I can do much.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-11 16:35:17)

#13 2018-07-12 03:50:46

elpargo

This is very intriguing for a new player. Could you a) explain why it's a problem and b) maybe make a wiki article about it?

#14 2018-07-12 03:53:55

YAHG

elpargo wrote:

This is very intriguing for a new player. Could you a) explain why it's a problem and b) maybe make a wiki article about it?

a)  Berries aren't bad, you just can't make ONLY berries. You have to keep the compost cycle going
or you run out of soil and starve.

https://onetech.info/624-Composted-Soil

b) Fuck the wiki onetech is far better, also it updates itself afaik. You can update it if you want, but it sounds like a chore.

#15 2018-07-12 04:28:04

JackTreehorn

elpargo wrote:

Big berry fields are logistical problem. We need to be able to get supplies in and out of the middle. It's about organising the base so it runs well and so you don't have to keep running back and forth when delivering supplies. (Dirt,Water etc.)

I'm not saying we should stop making large amounts of berry bushes, we just have to leave enough space to get supplies in and out.

Eve Audette

#16 2018-07-12 10:28:03

sc0rp

JackTreehorn wrote:
elpargo wrote:

This is very intriguing for a new player. Could you a) explain why it's a problem

Big berry fields are logistical problem. We need to be able to get supplies in and out of the middle. It's about organising the base so it runs well and so you don't have to keep running back and forth when delivering supplies. (Dirt,Water etc.)

I'm not saying we should stop making large amounts of berry bushes, we just have to leave enough space to get supplies in and out.

I disagree, respectfully so.  Logistical problem is the least important problem with berry fields.  After all, how much time it takes to move 3 or 4 tiles.  The largest problem with berry fields is that they are big friggin famine generators, put right in the middle of the town. This is how it unfolds:

So your town baker has popped his clogs.  Maybe old age, maybe lag.  Nobody knows.  Unfortunately he left 20 raw pies ready to bake and no firewood/fire around.   So one person, as ususal, goes to bakery to swap empty plate for a new pie (J/K nobody brings back empty plates).  But there are only raw pies there.  Oh, somebody is already working on it, probably went for kindling, so I just grab few berries and come back later.  And another person, as ususal, goes to bakery to swap empty plate for a new pie.  But there are only raw pies there.  Oh, somebody is already working on it, probably went for kindling, so I just grab few berries and come back later.  And third person, as ususal, goes... you get the drill.

In no time, the whole berry field is completely cleared.  Then people panic.  Berry bushes are dying!!!!  Quick.  All the compost is used up and one or two wells dried as well.  And there are 10 people running back and forth, all near starvation, waiting for any berry bush to fruit, so they can save themselves.  All new berries are gone in less than 1 second.

And there lies the problem.  Berries are needed to restart compost cycle.  You can convince 2-3 people to not eat them.  But if there are 10 of them frantically running back and forth, you stand no chance.  And wheat and carrots are needed too.  Wheat is usually around, but some fuckwit has eaten all the carrots.  Hey, carrots are for eating, right?  NO!  Carrots near sheep pen are for compost only.  There should be capital punishment for eating them.  I'm completely serious.  You save yourself, but indirectly you starve 5 other people.  What would you do to someone stabbing 5 random people in the town?

At this point in time I either bake all pies or go for soil.  But baking is rare, as I'm usually too low on food myself to do it.  Most often I go forage, and bring a basket or soil to plant carrots.  When I'm back 90% of people are already dead, so getting few berries for compost is not a problem.

Main reason for all of this it that berries are very expensive or maybe the most expensive (soil+water+work) food around in the game for amount of energy they give.  If we had some functioning market there, they would cost as much as caviar - only royalty would be able to afford it.  But everybody is treating them now as el-cheapo food for plebs.  Maybe that's because they are quite good choice for early camps, when you have access to soil and water basically for free.  But they don't translate well to towns.  When you need to make compost and 10 deep wells are barely enough to water it, they're very expensive.

JackTreehorn wrote:

and b) maybe make a wiki article about it?

You have the knowledge now, so you go and make wiki article about it.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-12 10:36:30)

#17 2018-07-12 14:33:51

zennyrpg

sc0rp wrote:

Main reason for all of this it that berries are very expensive or maybe the most expensive (soil+water+work) food around in the game for amount of energy they give..

Carrots are vastly worse than berries.

#18 2018-07-12 14:39:49

sc0rp

zennyrpg wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

Main reason for all of this it that berries are very expensive or maybe the most expensive (soil+water+work) food around in the game for amount of energy they give..

Carrots are vastly worse than berries.

Maybe.  Did somebody made an updated list how much various food cost?  We also need to include somehow amount of work/number of steps involved.

#19 2018-07-12 20:23:52

Lotus

Trinity didn’t have a large berry field. It used the plot method. And it was much worse off than many of the other large civilizations. Besides, all your effort will be for naught since people will fill in the gaps anyway, disregarding other plausible methods.

#20 2018-07-12 21:13:08

FounderOne

I was once in a town with some crazy food guys.

One guy made pies, so many pies..
The other guy did omletts, so many omletts..
Then there was the guy that made stew, so much stew..
And everyone was happy and not in a rush.

I made a big goose pen plus a huge corn field next to it, so we could make more eggs.

There was so much soil still around and compost already running. People had easy liefes. It's just important that the producing people find young and fit workers when they get older otherwise no one feels responsible and all collapses.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

Board footer