One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-12 06:07:53

ChaosDawg

Painful day with awkward kids

Generally today has just been a series of errors!

The one really good shot I had at it as an Eve and my daughter decided to relocate to a place that had no food. She complained the spot I'd more or less had to settle on wasn't good enough. The main reason was because it wasn't on desert. Now I get the benefit of having good temp spots, but not when there is no food. We should atleast have got comfortable in a reasonable spot before moving where we did with a load of kids.

Also sick of babies being born - hanging around for a couple of minutes then deciding things aren't what they like and suiciding. Right a high percentage of time I can make it to old age. The biggest killer is not starvation - it's snakes, bears and my own bloomin kids wasting my time.

Soooo, I am going to ask for a code for a week or so. Before I even pick someone up I'm gonna say code. If they want to live and perhaps have read this post - indicating they read the forums and thus might know a bit about the game, they'll know to start spelling: SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC... - they don't have to write the whole thing. smile That's just me being a beep!

I need some team work not moody 'not good enoughers,' people who know how to muck in and get da thing going!

#2 2018-07-12 06:59:46

Lum

Re: Painful day with awkward kids

And fuck all the other kids who wanna help but don't use the forums, right?

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#3 2018-07-12 08:07:37

pein

tha spot is the most important

you need desert, at least six tiles (half half neighbour makes a perfect spot so staircaise 5 or middle of 6)
you might lose some kids but long run matters more than food

today i had my mom raise me, bitch granny was in full fur but havent made a kiln and was in middle of green
wanted to let me die at age 2 cause she seen a daughter and i was boy, with 6 bar cause a daughter was born, her grownup daughter , my mom who was new as well

i found a spot and got to kid age, and when i wanted to make a basket, the stupid selfish bitch took my reed and i was standing in swamp with no basket and had to run back
she made a kiln in the fricking middle of green
i died at age 8 cause no food nearby cause she munched it all then decided she needs rabbit shawl and fricking shoes, hat, instead of pouches and kiln, this is so rare i dont even remember when i died so young
i born back as her son, and she barely fed me, and i wanted to make an arrow cause she was calling me names when i told she killed me last life
and wanted to shoot her, but she starved anyway, at least it didnt mattered so i hit her adobe and all the wet bowls to piss her off

next life i seen a good spot, eve chose a good kiln location but mom choose to make new kiln between two deserts! and make a frickign symmetric berry farm in middle of it cause soil was closer but we had two ponds above a desert, berry was ran out and i was 4th person, cousin girl was pretty good, swapping items, and cooking eggs, but i had to run for cacti a few times until berry came back

i made a few bushes in the desert and sis was raising kids there
i tried to get branches but they tried to make fricking stew before axe, cause they made croocks and main food eggs so no chance
so even if the eve was good, my mom dolores ordered people around but giving wrong orders
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=528660

i seen the the lady die from a pig bite, and her daughter was the brown chick and had tons of kids

i got carrot and corn but was a really small green biome and all branches went for the food, mom yelling make shovel
but she didnt move to get branches
dodging all snakes, i died to  a flying wolf, wasnt hopeles run but pretty hard

last i had a stupid girl, dandre, who tought digging every bone into its place its a good ideea, then cut some green trees and fed 10 kids
while i fixed pen and waited granny to come with sheep but she never came and even lost the bow and arrow from only milkweed we had
my nephew run on top of dandre so i had to spend 5 more mins to shoot her, and maybe even spare her stupid life if it wasnt for her stupid mouth
and even her daughter bitched about it, it was the right call

still made file, got sheep, shears and spindle, yarn with needle and fixed berry. and hoped blonde chick will have daughter but actually she went old before i died

so our only hope is dandres stupid daughter who got lost
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=529182

oh and i was abandoned 3-4 times in a row with clearly enough food, im kinda pissed after todays runs

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-07-12 11:25:22

DJDisorder

I had a rough time runs wise couple days back, every eve or early gen run was super frustrating. One camp kept having hammer go missing before other tools made, another had loads of people walking round with clothes before bellows had even been made, then still more clothes before a backpack.
Collecting rope to make a stone hoe, someone uses it to make a lasso (ugh!) get more, quickly ran to get a branch, came back to find a kid using it to make a bow despite no immediate use for one.

People trying to 'help' when I'm smithing and have everything setup to get stuff finished in a couple burns, then they mess me up and it takes three times as long. (Please ask before firing the forge if someone's already working it guys...)
Also people putting furnace on top of farm with no space to work, please, just stop that already!!!

Eve camps can be super hard with all the new players, you have to have at least one competent player per gen, or its doomed.

#5 2018-07-12 17:17:50

Jk Howling

pein wrote:

while i fixed pen and waited granny to come with sheep but she never came and even lost the bow and arrow from only milkweed we had

I was Eve that run, very sorry about losing the bow and arrow. I had to travel a good distance just to find a mouflon, ended up accidentally shooting it before it had a baby, then had to travel even further for another. Was like half way back when I ran out of pie, bolted for what I thought was the nearest savannah, and starved next to a carrot.

I almost never starve while out in the field so it was really upsetting. I should've brought more pie. Or just not accidentally shot the first mouflon v.v

Also it was my first time building a sheep pen, not sure if I got it right. I was trying to remember what I'd seen in finished pens in the past and from what I'd read here. Saw you fixing it up before I went hunting, I'll try to remember that for next time.

Pity the run ended short though. It seemed like a decent spot, and was pretty well established when I spawned in. I'd even been born there in a past life, to the Flower family. Maybe next time.

-Has ascended to better games-

#6 2018-07-12 19:33:12

ChaosDawg

Lum wrote:

And fuck all the other kids who wanna help but don't use the forums, right?

I didn't quite say it that way, but yeah in a sense - I guess you are paraphrasing me right.

However, I could add - saying to the player - "have you been on the forums," that may encourage some to do a little research about this brilliant, beautiful, complicated game. It might not. My suggestion is only that. If, like me you are a little tired of spending hours and hours on false starts - then maybe you would see a temporary benefit to this idea. I don't say do it forever, but lets get the learning curve up a bit. Also it's either one of two things:

No-one adopts this, follows it - so I affect 0.0001 percent of other players start ups and in the process deny myself offspring - although I might be more lenient to girls for obvious in game reasons (hey the sexism is built into the game - what can I d0?).

Or

A hard-core group does do this and we have longer generational lines - through good breeding / players, and some of our newer members learn a little bit along the way. Again elitism whether you like it or not is built into the game.

The other idea which I like is using religion or cultism to create a sense of identity - a way of doing things that can be communicated simply - which I already see as happening - with the different religion ideas on the forums. Cactus / Spiders / Bear based religions etc. I'm hoping at some point there will be some kind of symbolic / material way clans can represent their identity at some point (flags / banners etc). This game only has a billion good places to go.

#7 2018-07-12 19:36:46

startafight

i do this sometimes - i ask the baby "q?" and if they dont respond i leave em for dead. only when eveing tho and ive only had boys

#8 2018-07-12 19:49:28

ChaosDawg

startafight wrote:

i do this sometimes - i ask the baby "q?" and if they dont respond i leave em for dead. only when eveing tho and ive only had boys

Ah, well there you see - I don't know about that - so I'd be stuffed. LOL, I appreciate something like this would only work if people are actually aware of it.

I mean don't get me wrong - I am not an expert on this game - I just want to see a general better level of bushcraft survival. I was away from my main computer for over a month and couldn't play - so I missed what was happening for about 5 updates, two of which I suspect were big ones, based on how the game has changed.

Last night I learned how to cook eggs, I still haven't looked into how to get a soil till back to life after the first crop, since coming back - I haven't had to worry about it. None of my kids or players around me live beyond the first crop anyway. Amount of times I've looked at my family tree and seen the other players die of starvation after nursing but very early on is incredible - meanwhile I'm going until 50 - 60. Food is not the problem. And - I don't hide my own secret stash either - often I bring food back to the camp - yet still players starve. Oh, it's just so frustrating sometimes.

A player should know how to feed themselves - otherwise they are no use to anyone!

#9 2018-07-12 20:45:10

YAHG

You can't till soil back to life anymore, you need to use new soil. If you put it on top of the old one it takes less tilling iir.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-07-13 16:18:03

pein

Jk Howling wrote:
pein wrote:

I was Eve that run, very sorry about losing the bow and arrow. I had to travel a good distance just to find a mouflon, ended up accidentally shooting it before it had a baby, then had to travel even further for another. Was like half way back when I ran out of pie, bolted for what I thought was the nearest savannah, and starved next to a carrot.

I almost never starve while out in the field so it was really upsetting. I should've brought more pie. Or just not accidentally shot the first mouflon v.v

Also it was my first time building a sheep pen, not sure if I got it right. I was trying to remember what I'd seen in finished pens in the past and from what I'd read here. Saw you fixing it up before I went hunting, I'll try to remember that for next time.

Pity the run ended short though. It seemed like a decent spot, and was pretty well established when I spawned in. I'd even been born there in a past life, to the Flower family. Maybe next time.

dandre pissed me off, so i shot her with second arrow

then i forgot where i shot muflon but we had many to east
also i seen 3+1 iron veins, most i seen together, would of been nice plot

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer