One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-10 19:14:24

Goliath

15 servers and all of them have pvp enabled?

Just curious, why there isn't a player verse environment server?

I don't think the developer will be able to deal with the Griefers until he either hires live administrator staff or decides to make one of the servers player versus environment. I've joined so many villages for them all in some way to be diminished by a griefer. For example hiding all the tools, using all of the axes the cut down all the maple trees or taking all the new medical supply update and running as far as they can and dying. I don't think you'll be able to fix the player versus environment griefing but you could at least create a safe place for players that don't want to deal with this beta Alpha garbage. The curse system doesn't work and doesn't deal with Griefers...

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#2 2018-07-10 19:16:01

TheRedBug

Re: 15 servers and all of them have pvp enabled?

Pvp is a way to deal with griefers. You see someone causing trouble, kill them.
A non pvp server would lead to unstoppable griefing

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#3 2018-07-10 19:23:42

Crow

So on the PvE server how would we stop someone from stealing all the food, hiding all the tools, breaking down the forge, kidnapping babies etc? Ask them to stop?

Killing was put in for a reason.

#4 2018-07-10 20:16:05

Goliath

Crow wrote:

So on the PvE server how would we stop someone from stealing all the food, hiding all the tools, breaking down the forge, kidnapping babies etc? Ask them to stop?

Killing wasn't put in for the reason of resource management and you can't deal with player vs environment griefing without a live admin staff.

Also if the game's killing mechanic was actually viable. It would make sense that a killer could drop his knife and feed himself, which isnt possible.

Killing doesnt have any real viable reason in OHOL, since most tools that can be used to kill put the user at a disadvantage. So unless you're willing to explain, how killing is viable. Im surprised there isn't a pve server.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#5 2018-07-10 20:40:20

TheRedBug

So we need an admin for ever camps? Jesus christ that would be hardcore

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#6 2018-07-10 21:58:33

pein

on pve my style would be different. and you would need to leave places with griefers a lot of times
most of people wouldnt be assholes if wouldnt be killed life before, so there is that
but then all the soft hearted people would go on pve server, and griefer know that they can annoy them more and have a chance of getting a free pass
i still think getting rid of bad intentional people or serial noobs is needed, still i get punished by it more than benefit from. some people set back a plan with 20 min and they are still the "innocent" ones
and most kills are for the gear
and most annoying people dont even know they are annoying
like roleplayers who hold a knife for 60 min in pack while you run naked, then they give it to a random noob player who happen to be their virtual kid

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-07-10 23:53:04

subria

If curse system good enough, we do not need murder. But IF.

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#8 2018-07-11 00:08:19

ryanb
Website

There is also 2HOL if you want an option without PvP:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1145

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#9 2018-07-11 00:27:03

FeignedSanity

Goliath wrote:
Crow wrote:

Killing wasn't put in for the reason of resource management and you can't deal with player vs environment griefing without a live admin staff.

Also if the game's killing mechanic was actually viable. It would make sense that a killer could drop his knife and feed himself, which isnt possible.

Killing doesnt have any real viable reason in OHOL, since most tools that can be used to kill put the user at a disadvantage. So unless you're willing to explain, how killing is viable. Im surprised there isn't a pve server.

Jason has basically said that is the exact reason murder is in the game. Repeatedly. And it's a good reason, at that. And the reason you're put at a disadvantage, it because it's not supposed to be for PvP. You're not supposed to be able to run around racking up your killstreak. It's supposed to be for when that one guy is running around being an asshole, and you kill him. Other people will be willing to take care of you and feed you because you've done them a service. That's the idea, anyway.

So if you could kindly tell me how you would deal with someone running around screaming slurs, smashing your forge, and letting the sheep loose. I seriously doubt they'd sit down and have a rational discussion where you convince them to change their behavior.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#10 2018-07-11 00:41:07

pein

just the extremes

i grab babies, fill everything with rabbit bones and do stuff when people are lazy berry munchers and the camp is dead
both avoidable to cause damage but kills some noobs
and dont tell me im the bad guy if feeding 15 people and they dont move a pebble if i ask

destroying stuff is not nice but some repent when you got screwed over is necessary
or taking all stuff and move out, the majority will think as a theft, but the majority is not always right
most games i only see 3-4 decent people focusing on the main issues, the rest just passively kills the colony and makes a mess
and its very reverse, always the good ones suicide, always the good ones move out, and the lazy ones enjoy others work and dont move 20 tiles all their life
or killing a baby machine on a second gen camp, before starves all of you

in  the end majority thinks you are the bad guy
there are assholes who cut all green trees and let sheep out
but there are selfish bastards who are considered good guys

in the end kills are for gear and nothing you can do to save yourself from a swarm of nabs
even if you go to one corner of a city and make everything yourself there, people come and steal everything without making some simple click, cause its to tedious to them to make food, bring soil, so a lot of times i understand griefers, and yes, i changed some peoples minds

most of you dont even think about that a person who can build a half city alone, can destroy one if its pissed off
funny thing, noobs run around even more uselessly when someone is killed

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-07-11 00:46:13

TheRedBug

I agree with pein about the last paragraph. Seeing some killed corpse on the ground surrounded by noobs running around clueless makes me think about how ants reacts when you kick their nest. They just seems so confused and lost.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#12 2018-07-11 00:50:06

sc0rp

I feel your pain pein (pun intended, I couldn't resist).

But what is solution to that?  Do you have some ideas that you want to be implemented?

#13 2018-07-11 00:57:54

YAHG

Why do problems need solutions?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#14 2018-07-11 01:06:15

sc0rp

Because I want to have nice fights between towns.  And without well managed towns it's not possible.  If they're having famine every three generations, they ain't gonna go to conquer another one.

#15 2018-07-11 01:51:16

YAHG

Aye fights would be nice, have to have medic/pieman to feed all the stabbers though..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#16 2018-07-11 09:26:24

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

Aye fights would be nice, have to have medic/pieman to feed all the stabbers though..

And you can stab them too.  War IRL is 80% logistics - how to get food and supplies, where your army is.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-11 09:28:50)

#17 2018-07-11 10:24:15

FeverDog

This game can't/shouldn't model everything for reasons that are obvious.  Why break things trying to do so? 

"It's supposed to be for when that one guy is running around being an asshole, and you kill him."  This is all well and good but that one guy can do irreversible damage without real consequences before what criminal justice system is possible within the game deals with the issue.  Especially when climbing up the tech tree when griefing potential becomes greater/more impactful.

#18 2018-07-11 10:42:51

sc0rp

FeverDog wrote:

This game can't/shouldn't model everything for reasons that are obvious.  Why break things trying to do so?

What is being broken?

FeverDog wrote:

"It's supposed to be for when that one guy is running around being an asshole, and you kill him."  This is all well and good but that one guy can do irreversible damage without real consequences before what criminal justice system is possible within the game deals with the issue.

Just like IRL - people can do irreversible damage without real consequences before what criminal justice system is possible deals with the issue.  What's your point exactly?

#19 2018-07-11 13:06:10

pein

well what we can do is arrange duels if we dont like each other, people should accept it and fight until death and others dont interfere

but the game is not giving enough options to teach and time to build, heck, not even enough building materials
letters are expensive and time consuming, communication is hard
this cursing doesnt do much
maybe banishing to enter a city perimeter would work against griefer

but i think even blunt weapons would be better, old people could hit young ones, they both would become immobile for 5 sec and disarmed
killing should be last measure
we need more content, bigger, better things, which are not food
people are bored, thats why they kill

also tech tree should branch in different ways, currently you can do everything everywhere, every city feels the same

#20 2018-07-11 17:13:17

forestglade

YAHG wrote:

Why do problems need solutions?

It’s human nature to problem solve. It’s why technology grow exponentially and our kids will upload to robots.

#21 2018-07-11 17:51:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Goliath didn't chime in again...

Not sure what "PVE" would mean in this context.

If there's no way to stop non-violent griefing, then PVE would need a constant admin, which would be a tattle-tale nightmare.

Or maybe PVE just means playing single-player, by yourself.  One Player vs Environment.

You can already play OHOL that way.  Just get born as a male character and walk away from the city.  There's your PVE.

#22 2018-07-12 02:40:27

DJDisorder

"You can already play OHOL that way.  Just get born as a male character and walk away from the city.  There's your PVE."

[Jason drops mike]

Board footer