One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-07-09 17:29:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Cannot curse unnamed kids

sc0rp wrote:

New griefing meta: people will steal a kid to name them after somebody they don't like.

People will do this for what reason?  Because of the rare chance that the baby they name will become a griefer and attract curses?

#27 2018-07-09 17:35:05

YAHG

jasonrohrer wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

New griefing meta: people will steal a kid to name them after somebody they don't like.

People will do this for what reason?  Because of the rare chance that the baby they name will become a griefer and attract curses?

Either that or if you are teaming up for evil you can use then to draw out all the towns curses and keep your streaks going.

If you are baby suiciding to sync up your lives it should not be hard to link up with peeps even without twin system.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#28 2018-07-09 17:39:59

forestglade

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet here and let anyone name any baby?

Please don't do that. There's going to be a ton more kids named Stalin and Adolf.

#29 2018-07-09 17:41:27

forestglade

Is distanced based cursing just so much harder to code?

"I curse you unnamed" curses the closest unnamed?

#30 2018-07-09 17:50:07

sc0rp

forestglade wrote:

Is distanced based cursing just so much harder to code?

"I curse you unnamed" curses the closest unnamed?

Would I curse myself if I'm also unnamed? wink

#31 2018-07-09 17:52:42

Luniatji

I would absolutly love if the adoption parent can name it; logically the name of the adoption parent becomes the 'surname', but then it has to do official.. so maybe that both child and parent needs to say that. (Like the curse, that baby's could say "I want adoption by.." and adoption parents holding baby "I want to adopt this child" and if both do that then tingle they are family?) Then they need to both agree to being adopted, you can't just random name every child so its special (Because you need to be both willing to adopt/you need to be the birth mom to name a child)

#32 2018-07-09 17:55:24

sc0rp

Do not underestimate the creativity and persistence of griefers.  If that's the easiest way they can continue griefing, we'll see it for sure.  Took them one day to exploit immunity from curses granted by being unnamed.

#33 2018-07-09 17:59:44

forestglade

Maybe adopted kids have a limited list of names, a la Jon Snow from Game of Thrones.

They can be named OHOL terms: Goose, Bear, Milkweed, Jason, Carnitas. And will get the surname of the Ma.

#34 2018-07-09 17:59:59

sc0rp

Luniatji wrote:

I would absolutly love if the adoption parent can name it; logically the name of the adoption parent becomes the 'surname', but then it has to do official.. so maybe that both child and parent needs to say that. (Like the curse, that baby's could say "I want adoption by.." and adoption parents holding baby "I want to adopt this child" and if both do that then tingle they are family?) Then they need to both agree to being adopted, you can't just random name every child so its special (Because you need to be both willing to adopt/you need to be the birth mom to name a child)

That's great idea.  But I'd allow adoption only when you can't hold baby anymore.  Until then only mother could name the kid.

#35 2018-07-09 18:03:13

Luniatji

That could also be! The reason I wanted to pick them up was because you can then say which one you wanted to name (Say there are three unnamed babies, which one picks the game? If you have the child in your arm it is easy because it is that child).

I wouldn't like if they got a limited list though, because people like to call them names like 'bear' already and then you got five bears running around..

#36 2018-07-09 18:07:18

forestglade

Being a ma and being able to name your kids is a special aspect of the game.

Modifying it to everyone being able to name it anything is taking away from a key experience.

#37 2018-07-09 18:11:13

sc0rp

forestglade wrote:

Being a ma and being able to name your kids is a special aspect of the game.

Modifying it to everyone being able to name it anything is taking away from a key experience.

People are roleplaying adoption anyway.  It just doesn't officially show up.  Ma are still special, unless she decides to not name the kid until he's 5yo.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-07-09 18:12:54)

#38 2018-07-09 18:39:03

Luniatji

Being a ma and naming is special, but being a bad mom and running away from you children is also normal. With adopting it isn't like anyone can be running around and naming everybody, it is a way to let the world see that even if the baby didn't pop out of you, he is yours.

#39 2018-07-09 21:37:25

FounderOne

Okay, so let's say you can adobt and name a baby that isn't yours, you can give nicknames, and whatever, still it could be that there are double names like sc0rp said and unnamed persons.

The griefer could also exploit those cases. So you would need to auto name/numner persons at a certain age. But why would you name your kid then?

This is such a tricky one if you want to keep the naming system as it is. You can maybe make it less likely to have a unnamed/double named person, but still there will be unclear cases. So the griefers would also get its chance if he keeps trying.

So why not let it like it is and just add 2 features - adoption and no double names.

You will still have unnamed persons, but it won't be that likely as it is now. People would get more sensitive about the naming process once they faced a griefer that wasn't named. And the time spend for implementing those isn't that high. Also the naming system stays special.

And then close this case.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#40 2018-07-09 21:44:15

happynova

I've kind of wanted to be able to name adopted babies since, like, the first week I started playing, when I raised an orphaned kid who grew up calling me "dad."  Awwww.

But letting anyone name a baby makes an already existing loophole worse.  Namely, that curses act on the youngest person with that name.  Griefers can already grab a baby they just had, name it after themselves, abandon it to die, and be curseproof.  If they can grab other people's babies for that purpose, even when male, the curse system becomes almost 100% useless.  So I think if you're going that route, that's a loophole that really needs to be closed, somehow.  Heck, I think it's a loophole that probably needs to be closed somehow, even if you're not going that route.

Sadly, though, I think as long as only bio moms can name babies, innocent unnamed babies will always be with us. There will be clueless newbie moms who still don't get how to name babies even after the tutorial, or fail to understand why they should care.  There will be moms who aren't interested in babies, because they're griefers or because they have some personal project they want to work on and care about that more than about continuing the lineage, who abandon babies others will want to raise.  There will be moms who don't even realize they popped out a kid, and even ones who remain completely oblivious as the kid runs after them shouting for a name. (I have seen this happen surprisingly often, and had it happen to me as both mom and baby.)  And there will be times when the mother thought they already did name a kid, but forgot to actually do it.  And sometimes you try to name a baby and, for some reason, it doesn't take.   I've had that happen to me a couple of times, and I'm still not sure what happened.  Dunno if it's a bug, or if the kid jumped down a split second too soon, or what.  But by the time I realized they were still nameless, it was too late. (And I felt awful about it, too.)

One thing I don't think causes the problem, though, is difficulty thinking up names.  The name list sees to that.  If you don't know what to name a baby, just come up with whatever random word or phrase is on top of your mind, and it will convert into a name.  Lots of people do that, either because they don't have ideas or just because the results can be funny.  I've even seen people basically use random keymashes.  Well, hey, it's better than calling them all "Hope."

#41 2018-07-09 21:48:17

YAHG

It is oldest with the name atm fyi.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#42 2018-07-09 21:49:08

Lum

Can't wait for people to run around hijacking babies left by their mother on a desert tile for a few seconds.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#43 2018-07-09 21:50:57

happynova

YAHG wrote:

Did it change?  I thought Jason said the most recent person with the name. Or maybe I just misunderstood.  It probably wouldn't be the first time.

If it is the oldest, I withdraw my objection. smile

#44 2018-07-09 21:52:57

YAHG

happynova wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Did it change?  I thought Jason said the most recent person with the name. Or maybe I just misunderstood.  It probably wouldn't be the first time.

If it is the oldest, I withdraw my objection. smile

I get ya man there have been at least 3-4 different threads all started by Jason with different ideas for cursing system. smile

Lots of them had more than one idea, git only knows what the real deal is at this point.

#45 2018-07-09 22:03:23

Randomname

What if a child that is unnamed can pick their own surname at age 14 like an Eve by saying "I am...."

They could then be Eve or Adam WhateverNameTheyPicked.  They should then be as if they were an Eve spawned into a town with no relation to anyone. 

Pros
Gain their future kids a surname
People could curse them

Cons
People picking same surname
Risk people killing them for being Eves

#46 2018-07-09 23:01:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Implemented this today, but it's not live yet.

Anyone can name any unnamed baby by picking them up.  This causes them to take the namer's last name, like adoption in real life.

If a baby gets past age 5 with no name, any nearby person can name them.  If you say, "YOU ARE JARED," the closest unnamed person (closer than 20 tiles away) becomes JARED.  These people NEVER have a last name.  They don't take the namer's last name.

And if there's already someone registered in the curse system (not cursed, just registered by name) with the same name, a roman numeral suffix is added. 
EVE JONES II
EVE JONES III
EVE JONES IV

etc.

The names expire and are dropped from the curse system two hours after a person is named, and this suffix effect is server-wide, so even if there's someone in some other village with your same name, you will get the suffix.

This also works for people who have no last name.

SALLY II
SALLY III
etc.

And the people don't have to be in your line for you to get a suffix.  It just ensures that all names on the server, within the last two hours, are unique.

Also, if there are currently 10 Sally's on the server, and the first two died more than two hours ago, freeing up SALLY and SALLY II as names, those will be used again, even if SALLY X is still on the recent list.

For now, this will remain a hack to make sure everyone is cursable with a unique name, and NOT actually a true family suffix mechanism.

But it will work like a family name suffix mechanism most of the time... just not across many, many generations.

#47 2018-07-09 23:06:48

YAHG

So I guess there COULD be a stay on the fatwah.. Oh well smile

#48 2018-07-09 23:15:31

Lotus

Showcase adoptive parent who named them  in family tree under death.

Named By: John Smith

#49 2018-07-10 02:17:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Maybe someday...

I really need to get this feature done and in there and then move onto twins this week.

#50 2018-07-10 02:34:10

zennyrpg

jasonrohrer wrote:

Implemented this today, but it's not live yet.

Anyone can name any unnamed baby by picking them up.  This causes them to take the namer's last name, like adoption in real life.

If a baby gets past age 5 with no name, any nearby person can name them.  If you say, "YOU ARE JARED," the closest unnamed person (closer than 20 tiles away) becomes JARED.  These people NEVER have a last name.  They don't take the namer's last name.

I squee'd when I read this.  It seriously makes me sooooo happy.  Adopting kids is so great... Having someone survive nameless in the wilderness then return to town and be named... so good.

Board footer