One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-30 01:12:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Tutorial

If you bounced off the game in the past because it was too hard to figure out, this is a great time to give it another shot.

This week's update brings a brand new tutorial.

This has always been a game that just throws you right in there, and that will remain the case, so don't worry.  The tutorial mostly explains the nuances of the controls and systems.  There are a lot of little things that just aren't explained anywhere else.  Some of these things are lost on veteran players.

Also added, and explained in the tutorial, is the new crafting-hint filter feature.  If you want to make a hatchet, for example, you can cull down the hint list to show only steps that are relevant along the way to the hatchet.  This greatly reduces the "sharp stone does 46 things" problem, and should allow pretty much everyone to be able to figure out the final crafting challenge at the tail end of the tutorial.

You have to get through the tutorial, and solve that last crafting challenge, to actually play the game, so I'm really betting the farm on this one.  At least you'll know that if a baby is born to you in-game, that player is not totally clueless.

This new filter system also just might make wikis and other external crafting guides unnecessary, but we'll see how it goes.

A bunch of little content issues have been fixed.  Committing murder now "counts" as living a full time block in a family line, just like being a victim of murder does.  Griefers can no longer kill and then suicide before 30 minutes elapse to come back at the same family again.  The lineage ban has been upped to 1.5 hours of life lived in other lines before returning to a given family line.

#2 2018-06-30 01:15:08

Uncle Gus

Re: Update: Tutorial

"There's are". Literally unplayable now.

#3 2018-06-30 05:34:41

SpreadDaWord

are there refunds for those who cant complete the tutorial?

#4 2018-06-30 05:41:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

More embarrassing that the typo went out in the email to so many people.  Can't take it back!

What do you mean unplayable?

Well, if a bunch of people can't complete the tutorial, I'll have to make it optional or something.

#5 2018-06-30 08:48:12

Lum

The tutorial was very fun, I think it will be super helpful for newcomers. I even chuckled a little bit at the very last order you're given (hisss)

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#6 2018-06-30 08:51:23

pebcak

Yes! Something I've been hoping and waiting for! It's a step in the right direction, I'm sure. I kind of had to put off the game after being barely useful life after life because I didn't want to spend hours reading the wiki to learn how to function in every given tier of advancement. That and reading the "elitist" whining how their town wasn't a 100% optimized well oiled machine was kind of  a bummer.

I understand that the game is focused on the "hardcore" or tough life aspects and you just have to bite the bullet to achieve success, but I also think you can have these failures and learning moments in nuances rather than the basic game mechanics being obtuse.

jasonrohrer wrote:

What do you mean unplayable?

Literally unplayable

Last edited by pebcak (2018-06-30 08:56:41)

#7 2018-06-30 09:08:28

JonySky
Website

I really like this update Jason, a good job in all aspects, I've even learned new things ... and I considered myself a veteran! hahaha good job!

#8 2018-06-30 14:26:35

jere

Wow! What a change from the "learn it yourself" approach to the last few games.

The tutorial is awesome and the end is hilarious. Somehow I was thinking the torch would save you.

You have to get through the tutorial, and solve that last crafting challenge, to actually play the game, so I'm really betting the farm on this one.

You have to be very nervous about this right?!?

Players in general tend to hate tutorials, especially if unskippable and especially if labelled explicitly as tutorials. I wrote about this a bit when I was deciding how to handle a tutorial. Have you seen this excellent talk by George Fan, How I Got My Mom to Play Through Plants vs. Zombies?

So I would be worried about fall out rate here. Maybe you can track it per stone in case certain parts need to be optimized or removed. It's hard to gauge the difficulty of the last challenge as a new player. The firebrand feels like a jump in logic to me. And there's also an argument about how much discovery this takes away from the player. I dunno, it's a hard balance. A few random thoughts:

• The bonus meter thing could be more prominent. I was expecting green hunger pips or somethings.

• Something that always confused me in game and here as well is how to stand on fire. You have to click on the tile but not on the fire. Why not automatically walk into the tile if you don't something to craft on the fire?

• A bit annoying and confusing that you have to wait to bleed out and the wound system is not explained, is it?

• One thing that currently feels subpar: the game icon! No idea what it is and doesn't feel iconic of anything in the game.

Oh and the filter thing is HUGE. If no results are relevant to what you have, could it show the steps anyway?

Last edited by jere (2018-06-30 14:30:08)

#9 2018-06-30 16:16:05

subria

I have an idea. If i am not kill any one and some one bury me in marked grave. I have a chance to reborn in my last family.

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#10 2018-06-30 16:34:25

Angel Carrillo

The game is literally unplayable now.
And by that I mean the game literally crashes in the downloading update screen. Maybe you might want to fix that.

#11 2018-06-30 19:30:48

Munich

Angel Carrillo wrote:

And by that I mean the game literally crashes in the downloading update screen. Maybe you might want to fix that.

Same problem here. Crash at Downloading Update.
I'm downloading manually too see if it works.

Last edited by Munich (2018-06-30 19:31:15)

#12 2018-06-30 20:22:16

jere

Hmm, it crashed once on me. I thought it was because I was alt-tabbing in the middle of the download. I closed the program, tried again, and it worked fine.

#13 2018-06-30 21:28:17

Munich

Munich wrote:
Angel Carrillo wrote:

Same problem here. Crash at Downloading Update.
I'm downloading manually too see if it works.

It worked.
Deleted OHOL folder, reinstalled after downloading binaries. Game starts and begins to download update. Be patient! This update looks like it's huge, I thought it just got stuck again, but no.
Restart game, enjoy.

#14 2018-07-04 12:37:17

seth

Awesome tutorial! Love the '/' feature, the ctrl tab feature, and pressing up to repeat sentences.
One thing - the Shift Tab feature doesn't work on my Mid 2010 Mac (OSX 10.12.6). This is a great feature though..

#15 2018-07-04 16:02:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hmm... maybe Shift+TAB is doing something else on the mac keyboard?  Will look into it.

Board footer